The GFX100 - Gamechanger or expensive gimmick

Even as a Fuji fan I think it's pugly! I don't like proprietary grips on cameras, never have. And I find this a bit uglier than most cameras with built in grips. Seen DPR's video on it and they really don't like the added grip, I think the camera would have been much nicer without it, but then the IBIS may not have been so good?

The recent Olympus Em1X was slated for having such a grip but seems this one gets a pass because it's MF. I think the Olympus is much better looking, sure it's MFT, but it's also 1/4 the price and will be a lot better for wildlife and sports.

At £10K I'm not sure very many outside of high end studio pros will even take a second look - sure, it's cheaper than a Hasselblad or Phase One, but it's only the people who buy those to begin with will look to this as a 'side' option IMO. Or ... people with more money than they need who will buy it with a couple lenses for another £5K and post their results to IG with a teal and orange filter slapped over the images :D

I like it and most things about it apart from the price tag
It does a look a bit ugly but my current camera isn't exactly sexy either :p

'Kin 'orrible introduction site IMO. Took 20s or so to start and then I couldn't simply scroll down without having the detail shoved in my face, along with a demonstration of the mobile AF points and a film simulation or 2 at which point I clicked on the tab close X.

I guess if the looks are the only complaints it's doing pretty well?! They've ticked pretty much everything off the list (dual UHS II, I Is, insane viewfinder, full sensor PDAF, battery life, video etc) so it's hard to fault it really.

Technically, it looks amazing - feels like quite a niche target audience and the price tag... *sheesh*

I guess if the looks are the only complaints it's doing pretty well?! They've ticked pretty much everything off the list (dual UHS II, I Is, insane viewfinder, full sensor PDAF, battery life, video etc) so it's hard to fault it really.

It's £10K, easy to fault it for that alone for me :D

Big beast

fuji-gfx-1.jpg

Had a chat with a Panasonic pro when their FF cameras were announced and they said its for those who can use its abilities.
That's not me, no need for a bill poster size print and this falls into an even more niche category.

I'd want one, not as pretty as hasselblad but looks a bit nicer than the Fuji gfx 50.

Sadly I don't have money to burn

edit. the more i read on it, the more I want it.. I might have to go and find some more work :D

Last edited:
Hmmmm, who is this targeted at? I find 45.7mp overkill for most things, what would you need 102mp for :eek: The camera alone is 1.4kg, god knows how heavy and how large the lenses will have to be.

The only good thing I'd say is that they've dropped the infernal X-Trans in favour of Bayer (y)

Hmmmm, who is this targeted at? I find 45.7mp overkill for most things, what would you need 102mp for :eek: The camera alone is 1.4kg, god knows how heavy and how large the lenses will have to be.

The only good thing I'd say is that they've dropped the infernal X-Trans in favour of Bayer (y)

I think all Fuji's MF sensors are Bayer.

£10,000 for a camera and the lenses on top? Just think how many interesting places that would pay for you to go and take pictures with your existing cameras...

£10,000 for a camera and the lenses on top? Just think how many interesting places that would pay for you to go and take pictures with your existing cameras...

There is a local tog to me that shoots with uber expensive hasslebladds, think they cost at the time in the region of £30-40k. Funny thing is, his work is absolutely woeful lol

Hi, I think the GFX 100 is a gamechanger - at least for the industry.

We shall see more 100 MP cameras, and the prices will come down further.

Personally, I could be tempted by a GFX 50R with IS. I expect this for the next model.

I have a soft spot for Fuji, and so I am biased. I liked my MF Fuji GS645 very much in my film days ... --- :

Fuji-DSC09710-a7r2-z50ma_bearbeitet-1.jpg

Fuji-DSC09709-a7r2-z50ma_bearbeitet-1.jpg

I have a soft spot for Fuji, and so I am biased. I liked my MF Fuji GS645 very much in my film days ... --- :
I used a GS645S for a couple of years and very good it was too - provided you didn't let the lens hit anything (there was a good reason for the solid bumper bar round the lens). A couple of years ago I picked up a sad looking SL300 in a charity shop for £5. Once I fitted a battery it turned out to be a useful little camera as well...

Olympus E-PL5 8GB 03 P6160002.JPG

Me too. I just like everything about it, unlike all my Fujis, this is very technical and that's what I like about it

I think that's where I am coming from. I love my X-T2's, want to upgrade them to 3's for the focusing, but would love something like this for some studio and landscape work. Just think of that huge mural you could fit on a wall!!

Hi, I think the GFX 100 is a gamechanger - at least for the industry.

We shall see more 100 MP cameras, and the prices will come down further.

Personally, I could be tempted by a GFX 50R with IS. I expect this for the next model.

View attachment 245927

View attachment 245926
Someone who agrees with you:
https://visualsciencelab.blogspot.com/2019/05/a-few-thoughts-about-fujis-gfx100-and.html

I think that's where I am coming from. I love my X-T2's, want to upgrade them to 3's for the focusing, but would love something like this for some studio and landscape work. Just think of that huge mural you could fit on a wall!!

You'd be surprised at how large you can print from your XT2, remember the larger the print, the further back we have to stand to view it. F-Stoppers did a thing a long time back, showing billboard size prints that were shot at 2mp, from proper viewing distance they looked completely fine.

You'd be surprised at how large you can print from your XT2, remember the larger the print, the further back we have to stand to view it. F-Stoppers did a thing a long time back, showing billboard size prints that were shot at 2mp, from proper viewing distance they looked completely fine.

I was comfy printing at 20" X 30" from my entry-level Sony A58, even using the kit lens, viewing the images at a sensible distance. A recent APS-C camera and top lens should be completely fine for any conventional exhibition printing in terms of detail available if shot near base ISO and properly exposed.

I recently picked up a second hand gfx 50r and the results are stunning. Definitely interested.

Back