The Good Old Days

Big Ears used to invite Noddy inside to share his bed, and Mr Plod used to spank wrongdoers
Then there were the three golliwogs up to no good, the little black doll who washes out pink in the rain
George of the Famous Five had her hair cut short, and wore boy's shorts

Last edited:
Another television series aimed at children, but soon gained an adult following was Do Not Adjust Your Set, which was named after the announcement seen on a TV screen when there was a transmission or technical problem.
The cast included three future Pythons, Denise Coffey, the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band (Urban Spaceman), and a young David Jason as Captain Fantastic, a superhero spoof.
some episodes have been lost, but thankfully many survive. It was BBC policy to wipe tapes of programmes it thought would never be replayed

DO_NOT_ADJUST_YOUR_SET.jpg

Daktari with Clarence the cross eyed lion.

And Forest Rangers, they had the call sign XMY556!

And Tarzan with Ron Eley!

Last edited:
Jon Pertwee - THE Dr Who! (Until Tom Baker came along...)

Blue peter AKA Valerie Singleton

Magpie AKA
Susan Stranks

Anyone else see a pattern here? :D

I think I already mentioned H.R Puff N Stuff :)

And the Magic Roundabout was written by a "straight"!

Add a "dy" and apparently, I'm the biggest ram around!!!

I'm a self-confessed sucker for nostalgia threads and have enjoyed the preceding postings hugely. Something I miss about the good old days is the kindness of strangers.

Probably about 1973 (good god, I'm talking nearly fifty years ago), my Mum took me along to the Biggin Hill airshow. I was keen to take some pictures but knoe my basic fixed lens Minolta wouldn't cut it so I enquired about hiring an SLR and long lens from the local camera shop.* What I remember so fondly is that the proprietor didn't send this spotty pre-teen away with a flea in his ear but treated me with dignity and generosity of spirit allowing me to take away for the weekend a modest kit of body and a 300mm lens for around a pocket money price.

I wish I could tell you what the kit was and that I've since bought the same stuff on eBAy and it's now a treasured possession but I just can't recall. I did, however have a whale of a time on the day. Oh, and it's just occurred to me, for some reason I was drawn to the Air-Atlantique DC3s and got some great close ups.

* In the unlikely event that anyone here is from my original home town, Gillingham in Kent, it was the small place at the Black Lion end of the High street next door to the joke shop!

There were the two Doctor Who films Doctor Who and the Daleks, and Daleks Invasion Earth 2050 AD starring Peter Cushing, and in Invasion Earth, also Bernard Cribbins

View attachment 416447
I recall seeing the Bernard Cribbins version at the local picture house :eek:

I'm a self-confessed sucker for nostalgia threads and have enjoyed the preceding postings hugely. Something I miss about the good old days is the kindness of strangers.

Probably about 1973 (good god, I'm talking nearly fifty years ago), my Mum took me along to the Biggin Hill airshow. I was keen to take some pictures but knoe my basic fixed lens Minolta wouldn't cut it so I enquired about hiring an SLR and long lens from the local camera shop.* What I remember so fondly is that the proprietor didn't send this spotty pre-teen away with a flea in his ear but treated me with dignity and generosity of spirit allowing me to take away for the weekend a modest kit of body and a 300mm lens for around a pocket money price.

I wish I could tell you what the kit was and that I've since bought the same stuff on eBAy and it's now a treasured possession but I just can't recall. I did, however have a whale of a time on the day. Oh, and it's just occurred to me, for some reason I was drawn to the Air-Atlantique DC3s and got some great close ups.

* In the unlikely event that anyone here is from my original home town, Gillingham in Kent, it was the small place at the Black Lion end of the High street next door to the joke shop!

It was possibly one of these, my best mate had one when we were 15 or so. I was living in Maidstone at the time, many of the good camera shops have now gone, I can't find any in Maidstone on Google earth.

The Monster Raving Looney Party.
One manifesto was to divert the Channel Tunnel to the Falklands
Introduction of a large plastic 99p coin
The Hot air produced in Parliament would be piped throughout SE England to provide free heating for pensioners

Thanks so much for your suggestion Andy. It wasn't that Photosniper kit, it feels like it was probably a Praktica perhaps. Nevertheless, I remain hugely grateful becasue I happened to be internet window shopping the other evening and my son said, "wouldn't it be great if they made a long lens kit like a gun!".

Now I have the perfect image to show him.

I wouldn't want to try carrying one in public in this day and age though.

All the best,

Apparently, there's a campaign to bring them back

Loved them as a kid, made for many a tasty and quick supper. Cheap and the ultimate comfort food too, back in the day, when money was tight for my parents.

I remember playing in one of the many swing parks in our area.
This one was next to a railway line and when we saw the signal go up, we'd all run under the bridge and disappear in the steam from the train.
This was the mid 60s when they still used steam trains from Aberdeen to the towns north of the city.

We had a milkman who sold milk, eggs, bread etc from the back of a horse drawn cart.
We would feed the horse a slice of bread and we'd get a free ride on the cart.

The Betterwear man used to go round the doors selling polish and the likes from his suitcase.
We'd be playing in the street and when one of the parents saw him coming, we'd all be herded into the nearest house until he was past.
All because he was different and wore a turban.
When we were older and brave enough to talk to this guy, we found that he was a great storyteller and we would look forward to his visits to our street - oh, and our parents relished the free gifts we got from him.

Happy Days indeed

Corona fizzy pop, the crisps I used to have as a kid but were tubes and jeez I forgot the name of them, tomatoes that tasted like tomatoes.

Hand dug trenches for drains, services and kerbs (pre JCB), usually by real grafters who didn't lean on their shovels as they got paid by the yard (remember those?). Those grafters would meet up on pay day to have a "few" beers and a good "scrap" with their "mates" before driving home!

I recall a 1/4lb box of PG Tips tea leaves in a small cardboard box. When you emptied the box into a tea caddy there would be a small card to add to your collection.

the Archers and knowing that the signature tune at the end of the episode was Matron's cure to put us to bed

Who shot JR in the American soap Dull Ar*e, with the contender of the most boring programme Die Nasty
Dallas and Dynasty

Who shot JR
Ah yes wasn't it all a dream and patrick duffy? woke up in the shower?
I preferred the man from Atlantis personally
Well apart from the little blond bombshell, the one with the big " headlamps" :D

It has been said that two of the biggest 70's icons were ABBA and Dunlop Green Flash tennis shoes

What? You never had a pair of Green Flashes?

Back