The Good Old Days

Buses had conductors, men wore long trousers with crotches that didnt hang down to their knees. If you went to a shop someone served you and you paid with money (cash remember that stuff).
Buying online ment you stood in a queue and waited your turn. Post arrived twice a day.

men wore long trousers with crotches that didnt hang down to their knees.

BUT, if they wore their trousers with the waistband round their waist rather than just south of their nipples, where would the crotches have been? :p

No synchromesh between 1st and 2nd gear (and sometimes "temperamental" between the others too!). Cross-ply tyres and drum brakes. Leaf springs.

I remember breakfast cereals came in just the cardboard box, there was no inner plastic bag.
And sometimes you would get a plastic toy inside to collect.

And sometimes you would get a plastic toy inside to collect.
Or a cut out thing on the back of the box, usually a boomerang thing in the shape of a cross.

No synchromesh between 1st and 2nd gear (and sometimes "temperamental" between the others too!). Cross-ply tyres and drum brakes. Leaf springs.
Cast iron engines with core plugs Occasionally, one would pop out of its own accord, hopefully not the one behind the bulkhead. Get home by making a temporary wooden plug
Rear wheel drive with prop shaft
Servicing was so much easier with little more than a set of spanners and screwdrivers. You didn't have to dismantle half the car to get at the component either.
Distributor, and rotor arm
Very little plastic apart from interior trim

Cast iron engines with core plugs Occasionally, one would pop out of its own accord, hopefully not the one behind the bulkhead. Get home by making a temporary wooden plug
Servicing was so much easier with little more than a set of spanners and screwdrivers. You didn't have to dismantle half the car to get at the component either.
Carry out a ‘decoke’ every two or three months. Head off, remove the petrol/lead deposits, new head gasket, off you go ;)

Still got RWD with a propshaft on two of the cars. No distributor on mine - not sure about Mrs Nod's but I'd guess it has separate coils rather than a dissy.

Seaside postcards, many would be considered non PC, sexist, or racist nowadays.
The drunk driver crashing his car (as depicted on some) would not be considered funny today

My dad’s first car had starting handle! Ford Popular E93a. I recall going to Southend in that one Sunday, never been to the seaside before!
The Kursaal was running then, made of timber. A guy would patrol the beach and collect money for using the deckchairs. My dad never did learn how to erect one :p

Last edited:
My dad’s first car had starting handle! Ford Popular E93a.
An Uncle had a 3 wheeler ( no idea which it was a lot of years ago, so maybe a "bubble car") powered by a motor bike engine, and I remember him putting his foot under the bonnet to kick it over :D

Last edited:
My '71 S2a Landy had a starting handle. I couldn't get the thing over compression, let along turning over fast enough to fire!!!

An Uncle had a 3 wheeler ( no idea which it was a lot of years ago, so maybe a "bubble car") powered by a motor bike engine, and I remember him putting his foot under the bonnet to kick it over :D
Bond mini car probably. Powered by a 200cc or 250cc Villiers engine. My BIL has one along with a Bond Bug and three or four other vintage cars.

Dust carts that had curved sliding covers that were opened by hand and the binmen lifted the galvanised bins up to their shoulder to empty them. Everyones bins had dents in them. Then plastic bins came in with no hot ashes written on the lids.

Seaside postcards, many would be considered non PC, sexist, or racist nowadays.
The drunk driver crashing his car (as depicted on some) would not be considered funny today

The drunk asking a motorist who was looking under the bonnet of his car what was wrong?
Motorist: Piston broke
Drunk: Sho am I

Dust carts that had curved sliding covers that were opened by hand and the binmen lifted the galvanised bins up to their shoulder to empty them. Everyones bins had dents in them. Then plastic bins came in with no hot ashes written on the lids.
One day our battered old dustbin disappeared and we wondered where it went. I mean, who would take that old thing bearing the scars of constant battering against the dustcart.
a few days later a new one arrived. The dustman was so enthusiastic that the bin ended up in the dustcart and was crushed

The clanging bell used by the emergency services as opposed to today's wailing sirens

My dad’s first car had starting handle! Ford Popular E93a. I recall going to Southend in that one Sunday, never been to the seaside before!
The Kensall was running then, made of timber. A guy would patrol the beach and collect money for using the deckchairs. My dad never did learn how to erect one :p
The Kursaal ?
Had some great times there in the sixties, fantastic amusement park now a grade 2 listed building.

IIRC, the test card picture is actually reversed since the girl was (and still is!) left handed.

The Kursaal ?
Had some great times there in the sixties, fantastic amusement park now a grade 2 listed building.
Yes thank you Graeme, blooming spell check!

Right foot gear shifter! (Or even foot clutch and "suicide" shift!!!" Advance/retard lever. Manual choke.

Try telling that to the kids of today...

Your family must have been loaded, I only remember the B&W version.

Far from, though I might be remembering it from a later era? the 80's, we did actually have a B&W 'box' I can remember from an earlier age but we got all fancy and colourful [sill a wooden box with huge silver knobs] during the early 80's at least. What I do remember is that image being a bit snowy, as we had to 'tap in' to what they called 'pipe tv' at the time to get any english channels, here in Ireland there was only 2 [RTE1, RTE2 radió telefís eireann]

The dramatisation of the Forsyte Saga for TV. It was so popular that clergymen complained about empty churches at Evensong.

Cartoonist Bill Tidy drew the Fosdyke Saga as a parody, the adventures of a Lancashire Tripe Magnate and his working class family which appeared in the Daily Mirror for over ten years, until somebody decided they didn't like it, and ended the seriesYP08_fosdyke+saga+2++1973.jpg

Last edited:
The Saint.
now a televised series starring a certain Roger Moore, who might otherwise have been the original James Bond for the big screen

What about Maigret?
I did love the theme tune :)

Both oft repeated on Freeview, along with The Avengers.

I don't know if it has been mentioned yet, but fairgrounds and piers at the seaside, which had shooting ranges with .22 live ammo rifles using a clip of 5 bullets.

I used to like these as well until near my 14th birthday, when I found out two things, the first being that the local small arms rifle club would accept me as a 'supervised member' at 14 which they did, and I became a pretty good shot with a BSA Martini single shot target rifle. The second being that as we lived on a farm and I was over the age of 12 I was allowed to have a shotgun licence in my own name, provided that my father countersigned the application.

If I remember correctly for the shotgun there were certain provisos, the maximum bore allowed was 20, it had to be single or side by side double barrelled, that the local police officer was informed and that I passed an interview held by him. The result being that on my 14th birthday I became the proud owner of a .410 bolt action Webley shotgun.

Because I was a reasonably good shot and had the patience to sit still and wait for the rats to appear I quickly became popular with the local farmers, none of whom liked shooting, and were happy to supply me with cartridges at the rate of one cartridge for each rat shot. This stopped at 17 ½ as we moved from the farm to the local town.

I sometimes wonder what the reaction would be today to a 14 year old owning a .410 shotgun.

I sometimes wonder what the reaction would be today to a 14 year old owning a .410 shotgun.
Not that I actually owned it, my dad and a couple of his mates were keen shooters.
Of course I usually tagged along, as a beater / ferret carrier.
The Webley .410 bolt action, was my first, at about the same age. (y)

There were the days when cowboys were good guys, and we used to play cowboys and Indians.
Stars of the big and small screen included the Lone Ranger, (William Tell overture) and Gene Autry, the singing cowboy, with his companion Champion the Wonder Horse

champion.jpg

Last edited:
Talking [sic] of horses, who could forget Mr. Ed?

Before my time... (" ' Clop, clop, clop, clop, clop, clop. Clop, clop, clop!" ['63])

Pinky and Perky, whose TV show ran from the late 50s to the early 70s. They had high pitched voices achieved by playback at double speed, (simplified) their own TV channel, and a human foil who would put up with their pranks. Other puppets in the show included the Beakles, Vera Vixen, Horace Hare and Bertie Bonkers, the baby elephant

Pinky_and_Perky_original_appearances.jpg

Bill and Ben, a bad influence on kids.
They kept banging on about "(a) Little Weed"

Not forgetting Andy and Teddy going 2-up on Looby Lou!!!

Back