The homemade savoury food thread

kelack

TPer Emerita - But she's back!
Name
Kelly
Edit My Images
Yes
I've been going on a few courses lately (sushi, dim sum and sausage making today) and thought it would be nice if we had a thread where we could share recipes and general hints and tips for homemade food ie sausages, bread etc

I know the internet has a wealth of information but we all adapt our own recipes here and there. So, what works for you?

And share photos as well (being a photography forum and all that haha)

Today I had a lovely little course on how to make sausages. I was a little inspired so popped off to Lakeland and got myself a mincer and sausage maker (manual not electric) and some casings.

Just finished my first solo batch of pork and apple sausages

Not bad for my first attempt. Little bit fiddly trying to turn the handle, push the mince and hold the casing over the nozzle!

Recipe-wise: I didn't try anything too adventurous for my first attempt, just pork loin minced with apples, honey, nutmeg, coriander, breadcrumbs, and salt and pepper. Can't wait to try them tomorrow night with some nice mustard mash

Attachments

• 1449524190060.jpg
    1449524190060.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Haha....

Hahalf past when?

Mmmmm sausages!
I have never made sausages, but I do make terrines at Christmas, and it is about time that I had an early practice session, just to make sure that I am ready for the big day.
My usual terrine comprises pork mince, vac packed chestnuts, caramelised onion with a little garlic and pieces of chicken from a roast, and smoked straeky bacon.
You start by caramelising the finely chopped onions and garlic, seasoning them with salt and black pepper. once softened and golden brown you set them aside to cool. I then season 400g of pork mince with salt, black pepper and herbes de Provence, and add tho thirds of the cooled onion mix. I put the remainder of the onions with the chicken.
Now for the construction of the terrine.
Get a medium sized loaf tin, grease it with butter and line it with the streaky bacon strips, making sure that there are no gaps and that the strips overhang the edge of the tin by around three inches. Next, slice ten good sized chestnuts. Put an inch layer of the pork mince mixture in the bottom of the tin, making sure that it is compressed, then add a layer of chestnuts, then chicken mix to take you up to the halfway point. Then add the final layer of pork mixture and fold the streaky bacon strips over the top to cover.
Cover the tin with foil, making sure that the finishing fold is on top and there are no holes.
Preheat the oven to 180C
Place the loaf tin in a roasting tin, then fill with hot water to halfway up the loaf tin (this is making a kind of "bain marie"), and place in the oven for 1 hour.
When cooked take it out of the oven to cool (although you could eat it hot if you cannot wait), and then place a heavy object on top to compress the terrine and leave in the fridge overnight.
We generally have a couple of slices of the terrine as a starter with a little green salad and cornichons, but it is equally at home as part of an eving buffet or even a picnic.
You can experimet with other ingredients - mushrooms, liver, turkey, ham, cranberries, add a little cognac or brandy and lemon or orange zest.

Not too complicated, no :)

Thanks for sharing @andy700, I am definitely going to try that

Mmmmm sausages!
I have never made sausages, but I do make terrines at Christmas, and it is about time that I had an early practice session, just to make sure that I am ready for the big day.
My usual terrine comprises pork mince, vac packed chestnuts, caramelised onion with a little garlic and pieces of chicken from a roast, and smoked straeky bacon.

Do you think substituting the chestnuts with chestnut mushrooms would make much difference? Because besides the nuts (can't eat nuts)....that sounds lovely.

Ooo I like that idea! And that is what this thread is all about :)

Do you think substituting the chestnuts with chestnut mushrooms would make much difference? Because besides the nuts (can't eat nuts)....that sounds lovely.

Certainly, but I would go for a strong tasting mushroom such as porcini (dried ceps I think). although good chestnut mushrooms have a nice flavour if you saute them in a little butter.

Well, I didn't get a chance last night but we've just had the sausages. Not bad at all. I think the trickiest thing is getting the herbs and spices balance right. I'm going to make some merguez next

Home made lentil soup, dead easy and perfect for warming the bones through winter and as my old mate proudly announces after a trump, " we can put a man on the moon but we cannae de-fart the lentil :D

Share the recipe then...don't be shy :D

I've not tried making sausages yet, but I have made pancetta. Very easy, very tasty but takes a couple of weeks. I followed the recipe in the River Cottage Curing and Smoking Handbook. There's an old metal locker sitting outside waiting for to be converted into a smoker.

Share the recipe then...don't be shy :D
It's not really a recipe, but here goes
Three cups of lentils, 2/3 ham stock, 2/3 veg stock cubes, wash lentils and boil up, ad stock, add 5/6 potatoes, same amount carrots. Grate some of both, chop the rest add a chopped onion. Add some ham, shank, or cubes. I use lardons for easiness. Top up large pot, and it is large, with boiling water and simmer for half an hour or so
I'm no chef, but we all love it

I've not tried making sausages yet, but I have made pancetta. Very easy, very tasty but takes a couple of weeks. I followed the recipe in the River Cottage Curing and Smoking Handbook. There's an old metal locker sitting outside waiting for to be converted into a smoker.

Do you know, our friends have converted a metal filing cabinet into a smoker and said it was brilliant. I bought a smoking kit to be used in the bbq and just never got round to it.

Might have to try the pancetta though. My husband made cured salmon last Christmas. That was pretty good. I'll ask him how he did it

It's not really a recipe, but here goes
Three cups of lentils, 2/3 ham stock, 2/3 veg stock cubes, wash lentils and boil up, ad stock, add 5/6 potatoes, same amount carrots. Grate some of both, chop the rest add a chopped onion. Add some ham, shank, or cubes. I use lardons for easiness. Top up large pot, and it is large, with boiling water and simmer for half an hour or so
I'm no chef, but we all love it

How is that not a recipe? :D

Another one to try. Thanks. Sounds perfect and comforting

Might have to try the pancetta though. My husband made cured salmon last Christmas. That was pretty good. I'll ask him how he did it
The pancetta...

.. and very nice it was too :D

That looks great!

How is that not a recipe? :D

Another one to try. Thanks. Sounds perfect and comforting

It's not very scientific. And quantities will vary on taste and how thick you like it, so I'd call it a pointer in the general direction. Recipe seems an exaggeration but I hope you like it.

It's not very scientific. And quantities will vary on taste and how thick you like it, so I'd call it a pointer in the general direction. Recipe seems an exaggeration but I hope you like it.

That's how all the tastiest food is made!
Bit of this...bit of that...taste. :)

The best recipe I've ever had told to me is most definitely a bloke's recipe, it's as precise as it needs to be and references the users direct experience (told to me by my handyman neighbour)..

Morning after tattie scones
As much mashed potato as you have leftover
Add enough milk and stir until it has the consistency of plaster
Add enough flour and stir until it has the consistency of putty
Drop onto a hot, lightly oiled frying pan. Turn when golden brown.

I made some biryani rice last night, using a method which combines the best of Indian and Persian rice making techniques.

23024783734_52e596f11e_c.jpg

23024783684_1f5b241c22_c.jpg

The biryani rice has a lot more flavour than ordinary boiled rice or even a standard pillau rice (the Iranians call it "poolow"), and Persian rice often has a crunchy top layer called "Tadigh".
You will need 1.5 cups of basmati rice thoroughly rinsed with water to remove the starch, then 3 cups of water. Season with a little salt in a medium saucepan and bring to the boil, being carefull to remove any starch which rises to the surface. When the rice is cooked it will still have a little bite to it (you definitely do not want it going soft).
Put the rice to one side in a sieve after rinsing it (this rinsing will result in lovely rice which is not at all sticky).
In order to make it biryani, you have to add certain ingredients, which I call the "mixture".
The mixture above used finely sliced red onions (2 medium) and one red pepper, with one crushed garlic clove, salt and pper, 1tsp turmeric powder, 1tsp chilli powder (I like it hot), sprinkling of onion and feenel seeds in 1Tbs vegetable oil. I isually put this mixture in a stockpot and fry them until the onions have softened. I also add water to stop the spices burning, and then reduce down, so that it is not watery. Sometimes I add chopped coriander and a little tomato paste for extra flavour.
Once the "mixture has reduced down and the rice is ready, you need to combine them.
I use the saucepan which the rice was cooked in, and I start by melting about 25g of butter in the pan with a little glug of olive oil. I set the hob to 10 (my Neff hob goes up to 14). Next I add a bottom layer of rice to the pan to form a barrier, before adding the combined rice/mixture. I combine the mixture/rice in the sieve, by gently using a large spoon, untill all the rice has coloured yellw (the turmeric). Then I add this final mixture to the saucepan and return it to the heat for 20 minutes (this is judged by practice).
One important point. Before putting the saucepan lid on, I make a pattern of holes in the rice using the hadle of a wooden spoon - I think this is to help the rice to steam evenly - usually one in the centre, then eight around the outside about an inch in from the edge.
About a minute before it is ready, I put a little cold water in the sink, remove the saucepan lid and put the base of the saucepan in the water (It should sizzle a bit), which releases the rice.
I then get a plate and put it on top of the saucepan, and using a wet cloth, then quickly turn it over so that the rice "cake" sits intact on the plate - there is a knack but easy to master.
If this all goes to plan then you can enjoy one of the nicest rice dishes around.
Enjoy!

Thought I'd share this. I've had a bit more of a practice with the sausage making. Sage, coriander, cumin and nutmeg sausages that I made for Boxing Day breakfast....

Packed far too tightly to do the links though...oops

I got quite a few cookbooks for Christmas (pies, bread and biscuits amongst others). Going to make some bread and some mozarella tomorrow evening

@andy700... Mr Kelack is making a beef curry tomorrow also so I'm going to give your rice recipe a go

Attachments

• 1451426599490.jpg
    1451426599490.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Back