The importance of agitation in the developing process

Name
Ariel
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello all,

Maybe these are silly questions but I was thinking about the importance of agitation, each formula has instructions about how many times and for how long one must agitate the tank while developing. So my questions are:

- How important really is the agitation process? (pretty obvious but I ask anyway)

- What happens if I agitate more times and/or during a longer or shorter period of time than recommended?

- What are the real effects/consequences on the final result?

As an example, depending on the source I saw agitation recommendations for the fix process too, stating that agitation during fix process will affect the contrast (with black & white film). What is the truth behind that?

There is a lot of info online and a lot of books about processing film, but I would like to read about your experiences in the practice so far, your different opinions and recommendations. For both, b/w and color film.

Thanks in advance. :)

I can give you the theory, but my standard practice has always worked for me (initial agitation to prevent air bubbles, two or three inversions either every minute or every three minutes) depending on the developer. I've only seen problems and the results in book illustrations - apart from reticulation, which is outside your question :D

On fixing, I've only observed adverse results with prints, never film, so again I can't comment.

Since I use a Rondinax, I'm committed to nearly (*) continuous rotation to ensure all my film get's exposed to the chems. I've been a bit worried about the possible effects this might have on my images. In a recent thread about choice of developers, someone explained to me how acutance was an effect that might be increased by stand developing (cf the unsharp mask process), but could not be replicated in the Rondinax. So there's one possible difference.

* Although the guides do suggest continuous rotation I use an intermittent approach instead, making partial turns at 1 second intervals with a two second gap every couple of turns... so turn, turn, wait, wait, turn, turn... No real idea why other than to avoid exhaustion on my part and to provide the ability to do other things like take the lid off the stop container, wake my phone so I can read the timer, etc.

Agitation is about using the nature of how the chemicals interact with the film. The chemicals that work on the film are the bits of the fluid that are at the surface of the film - the body of fluid that's, say, a few millimetres away has very little effect. As the chemical at the surface works on the film, it becomes exhausted and stops working. When we agitate, the exhausted chemical is mixed with the relatively-unused body of the chemical, with the result that mostly-fresh chemical is now at the surface and starts working on the film. After each agitation, the overall body of chemical gradually becomes slightly more exhausted - it's a mix of the unused body of liquid and the exhausted stuff that was at the surface of the film before each agitation step.

Film develops differently depending on whether a particular area is dense or thin - highlights or shadows. The more dense an area is, the quicker the developer at the surface of that area becomes exhausted. When an area has been fully developed (all exposed silver halide has been converted to metallic silver), it won't develop any further, even if fresher developer is placed there through agitation. Sometimes, development of the dense areas is controlled such that they may not be fully developed at the end.

Shadow areas are less dense and will readily develop fully, even if agitation is relatively infrequent, because the developer in those areas takes much longer to become exhausted.

Highlight areas can be very dense - lots of exposed silver halide to convert to metallic silver. This means that the developer at the surface can become exhausted quite quickly.

Agitation, therefore, is primarily about controlling development of the highlights. If you agitate less, the developer becomes exhausted in those areas, stays exhausted for longer, and the highlights develop less - they come out less dense because less halide has been converted. Since the shadows will likely still be fully developed, the overall result is a negative with less contrast - less difference in density - between shadows and highlights. Similarly, more frequent agitation will result in more complete development of the highlights, giving a negative with increased contrast or density range between shadows and highlights. At a certain point, there is 'enough' agitation, such that the highlights are developed fully.

It should be borne in mind that not agitating at all does not result in non-development of a dense area once the developer at the surface has become exhausted. There is still a low level of replenishment because the molecules in liquids are still in motion even if the tank is not being moved. The rate of development becomes much slower because the rate of replenishment is much slower compared to agitation (this is why stand development takes so long).

I've not heard of agitation during fixing affecting contrast. The purpose of fixing is to dissolve the unexposed silver halide (which looks cloudy). If anything, insufficient fixing would leave some of this behind, resulting what would amount to lower contrast, but this would be considered a processing fault, and not something that is desirable. The remaining halide would gradually darken or otherwise be affected by light, causing deterioration of the image (which could be remedied by fixing the film again). The purpose of agitation during fixing is similar to developing - the fixer at the surface becomes saturated with dissolved silver halide and becomes less effective. Agitating spreads the halide-saturated fixer into the body of the liquid, allowing fresher fixer to work on the surface.

So, the basic two things to grasp are...

The chemical reaction between film and developer occurs at the surface of the film.
Chemicals at the surface can become depleted, and agitation replenishes the developer at the surface, allowing the reaction to continue.

As a consequence of this, each solution becomes weaker, more depleted, less effective - more contaminated with reaction products - as development proceeds. Each agitation mixes some depleted chemical with the body of the liquid that's relatively good. In other words, your developer, fixer, etc is less effective in the last minute compared to the first minute.

Last edited:
Stephen and Chris, thanks, I'm taking notes. And a very clear explanation Nomad Z, thank you very much. (y)

So if I understood correctly, agitation during the fix process will not produce any effect on the final results, it is just to keep the fluid moving in order to work properly. And the same for the develop process but in this case will affect the highlights and shadows.

Any one alse would like to share his experience and knowledge?

I'll just add (since I noticed on re-reading that theory was as acceptable as practical experience) that agitation can affect grain size (more = more) and streaking on the negative (bromide drag, bromide being a waste product of development that inhibits development, so letting it build up in streaks gives streaks on the negative). On fixing, fixer can/does dissolve the developed silver, but so's you'd notice if fixing times etc. are reasonable. Leaving a print in a fresh batch of rapid fixer for 20 minutes or so do produce a noticeable and highly unpleasant effect (from experience). I assume - but have no knowledge theoretical or practical - that excessive agitation in the fixer would give the same result; but note that we are talking about in my case 10 times the recommended dose :D

Back