The iPhone 8 and X cameras.

Apple will gradually kill off the older phones with updates ,but for now my 6 is more than enough for me ..I only update through family and friends as there contracts end anyway ,having seen the abuse the grandkids give there's I tend to only buy used from older family members as well .

I'm still working on an old Android. The question is with all these new gadgets much like cameras is

1) Is the device holding you back and preventing you from doing what you want

2) Will you ever use the thing to its maximum potential

For me if I was considering it I think I could find a better use for £1k but everyone is different

Seems a lot of phones have had a big price jump the last two years?

My Nexus 6p was due for its upgrade this month. When I bought it, it was top of the line and £480.

I looked at the new Note and it was about £850 which I think is a lot for a phone.

In the end I decided to keep my immaculate Nexus (which already has the new Oreo) and treat myself to a Samsung Galaxy Book 10.6 LTE. Happy with it so far :)

Killer factor is that a phone works for communication! Don't tell anyone with an android phone about that, they'll all buy iPhones!

I've never failed to be able to communicate with my Android either...
I suspect you and I are using "communicate" differently ;~)

So much passion behind the brand of phone that people purchase! MY CHOICE IS BETTER THAN YOURS, VALIDATE YOUR OPINION! :)
I own Apple and Android devices. Both have great hardware. The Apple devices just are a bit more polished with regards to the software and ease of interoperability. My personal device is an Android model, my work device is Apple.

There's nothing new about the iPhone x you can't get with an android apart from the gimmicky camera stuff.

But it's the OS. I've had iPhones for years, my wife tried an Android and we both hated the way the OS worked. Until a few years ago Apple had touch screen technology that was far better than the competition, that's not the case now, but some of us just like the way the OS works. I have a 7, my wife a 6, I have a 5S as work phone, and we have 2 iPads. Moving away would be a huge learning curve and a change in how we use our phones...

But it's the OS. I've had iPhones for years, my wife tried an Android and we both hated the way the OS worked. Until a few years ago Apple had touch screen technology that was far better than the competition, that's not the case now, but some of us just like the way the OS works. I have a 7, my wife a 6, I have a 5S as work phone, and we have 2 iPads. Moving away would be a huge learning curve and a change in how we use our phones...

I feel the same, but for £800 difference, I am willing to give it a shot!

I totally get that, as iOS is the reason I can't get on with iPhones. And I don't want to lose what I have paid for on Google Play by moving over to Apple either. It's a difficult game to get people to migrate once they're invested.

Each to their own, I recently went to Lanzarote for 12 days and just took my Note 4 to use as a camera and it did really well in bright light, less so in bars and restaurants at night but good enough for me. let people spend what they like on phones and contracts, most young people actually seem to have them glued to faces 24/7 so if they are spending say £70/month on the latest and greatest it is what like £2.50p a day. Apple only exist to make money shed loads of it, they make expensive phones for people that like them.

like many people I have a SIM only deal for £9/month oddly enough with EE who have crumbled their prices since the EE roaming charge ban and I bought my used NOTE 4 about a year ago on here for £150 which is running superb, but that's just me.

There's nothing new about the iPhone x you can't get with an android apart from the gimmicky camera stuff.

When did iMessage, FaceTime, Handoff or synchronisation across devices start working with Android? I’d love to know how to use them all on my Android phone, it’s pretty annoying when things like usernames, passwords, card details etc don’t seamlessly work like they do between all my iOS devices...

Though, no, I’m not buying an X.

So much passion behind the brand of phone that people purchase! MY CHOICE IS BETTER THAN YOURS, VALIDATE YOUR OPINION! :)
I own Apple and Android devices. Both have great hardware. The Apple devices just are a bit more polished with regards to the software and ease of interoperability.

Agreed.

My personal device is an Android model, my work device is Apple.

Mine are the other way around.

When did iMessage, FaceTime, Handoff or synchronisation across devices start working with Android? I’d love to know how to use them all on my Android phone, it’s pretty annoying when things like usernames, passwords, card details etc don’t seamlessly work like they do between all my iOS devices...

Though, no, I’m not buying an X.
iMessage isn't that special. I can send messages and make calls on WiFi on my Android. I use Skype for video calls on the very rare occasions I do. And handoff is great, if I had a Mac or iPad, but I have a PC and Windows tablet because I can't get on with iOS or macOS. Handoff is interesting but I find I use the most suitable device for each task as it is, and Google drive and services all work seemlessly across all my devices. As for usernames, passwords and card details, all of those work perfectly with all my devices too. My phone also works as 2 stage authentication for logging in on any new devices.
I don't deny that Apple have made a very well organised ecosystem that works for a very large part of the population. It's their claims of invention and innovation that irk me when they are doing things that have been done before, sometimes for years.

Really? Then how does an iPhone communicate in a more "killer" way than an Android phone?
Well i didn't actually say that but you did say you were communicating with your so I presume you may be referring to speaking to your device of clicking etc.
However I didn't write that the communication was in a killer way but that the interoperability of iOS and OSX devices was (if you have them) a killer factor. Seems self evident to me but to give you one example I can run FileMaker Pro on Windows and Mac but only interact with it from iOS devices since FileMaker Go is unavailable on Android - not surprising since it is an Apple app - though lots of people wish Apple would produce an Android version, which is not going to happen for obvious reasons. Although it may be possible hack an Android devoice to run Apple apps you wouldn't trust one with a database application.

Edit to say I quite forgot Apple TV OS which I also use and Watch OS which I have I am unlikely to get though I think it's the way forward for phone calls and notifications and similar.

Last edited:
It's their claims of invention and innovation that irk me when they are doing things that have been done before, sometimes for years.

Generally, when they do something, it's just better... The one thing that has really, really annoyed me with Apple is them forcing me to use 2FA with 3rd party apps on Icloud. I have a Mac, but like Outlook as a mail client, but now with my iCloud account it keeps forcing me to faff around with my phone, sending it a 2FA code for me to start using Outlook again. It's annoyed me so much that I have reverted back to iMail for this account.... I still use Outlook on my Gmail account though.

So there's "nothing new about the iPhone x you can't get with an android" apart from the new stuff you can't get with Android?

It's not 1000 quid though is it as most folk will sell it after 2 years still mint with screen protector on for 500

What's your point? I think it was a valid point to make considering the price of the device. And my comment specifies how little is new.

My point is that you were erroneous when you said there is "nothing new about the iPhone x you can't get with an android".

Facial recognition has nothing to do with security. An image of your face when linked the finger print they collected with touch id and all the other of your personal data Apple have collected creates a very valuable commodity they can sell to 3rd party companies.
The only reason Apple do not want the law enforcement authorities to access this data is that they will not pay Apple for this personal data.

Facial recognition has nothing to do with security. An image of your face when linked the finger print they collected with touch id and all the other of your personal data Apple have collected creates a very valuable commodity they can sell to 3rd party companies.
The only reason Apple do not want the law enforcement authorities to access this data is that they will not pay Apple for this personal data.
The face ID stays on your camera. Apple is a hardware company unlike, say, Google (Android), and they have made stacks of cash from selling hardware as is well known.

iMessage isn't that special. I can send messages and make calls on WiFi on my Android.

Says the man who patently doesn’t understand how integrated iMessage is...

So you can send free messages, (including images) of any length with read confirmation (on WiFi and cellular) to all other Android users worldwide?

Says the man who patently doesn’t understand how integrated iMessage is...

So you can send free messages, (including images) of any length with read confirmation (on WiFi and cellular) to all other Android users worldwide?
Yes, and all iPhone users, on WhatsApp, fb messenger and most other messaging apps. And I can integrate that into the same thread as my sms messages. I know what iMessage is.

Yes, and all iPhone users, on WhatsApp, fb messenger and most other messaging apps. And I can integrate that into the same thread as my sms messages. I know what iMessage is.

So nothing specific to Android then?

Anyone with iOS automatically has iMessage, I can even iMessage a WiFi only iPad in use by an OAP who has no idea or use for WhatsApp (doesn’t Whatsapp only work with mobile phones or sim card equipped devices) or FB Messenger (doesn’t FB Messenger only work if you’ve signed up to to Farcebook?).

Last edited:
..... (doesn’t Whatsapp only work with mobile phones or sim card equipped devices) or FB Messenger (doesn’t FB Messenger only work if you’ve signed up to to Farcebook?).

Really?

Doesn't iMessage only work on Apple products/people with iOS?

See what I did there?

Really?

Doesn't iMessage only work on Apple products/people with iOS?

See what I did there?

Not the same at all, give grandad an iPad and iMessage works without any extra installation or fuss.

Can that be said for Whatsapp (could you explain how you even install Whatsapp on an iPad?) or Farcebook messaging?

Oh, by the way, the whole point of the previous discussion (post 53) was the fact iMessage only works on iOS, maybe you missed that as you jumped in feet first...

Last edited:
...... maybe you missed that as you jumped in feet first...

No I missed nothing nor jumped in feet first.

I just think you are one of the many Apple fanboi's that often pop up in threads like this spouting rubbish that Apple products are the be all and end all and any other product is crap.

And your latest post just reinforces this view.

On the whole imessage argument, even if I had an iPhone again, I'd still use WhatsApp more. I rarely use the basic messaging app anymore on any phone, but I'd prefer to be able to have conversations with anyone on any brand of phone. If I need to get in touch with my old grandpa then l lift the phone cause he's not wanting to sit painstakingly typing a message on an iPad when he can just talk.

The one thing that stops me going back to iPhone though is the most basic thing. I want a picture as my background. Not a bunch of random tiles. If I have a great picture of my son or daughter then I want to see it on my phone. Maybe you can do this on the most recent iPhones though? It's been a while since the 4s!

Both systems are great, and both have their flaws, but I'd agree that new phones are coming out now just for the sake of it. Look at YouTube and you'll see antutu scores etc of every phone. Woopdee doo. In reality I'm happy to wait an extra second or two for an app to open and have that extra cash for something else. Currently using an LG g4 which has a qhd screen, runs perfectly, has a very decent camera and I can replace the battery when it dies and add memory via a memory card slot.

I'm happy to pay a premium for something if it does justify the cost, but for the majority of people who buy a new iPhone (or Samsung etc) , it'll just be used in the exact same way as their old phone! But it's shiny and new and has no bezels!

On the whole imessage argument, even if I had an iPhone again, I'd still use WhatsApp more. I rarely use the basic messaging app anymore on any phone, but I'd prefer to be able to have conversations with anyone on any brand of phone. If I need to get in touch with my old grandpa then l lift the phone cause he's not wanting to sit painstakingly typing a message on an iPad when he can just talk.

The one thing that stops me going back to iPhone though is the most basic thing. I want a picture as my background. Not a bunch of random tiles. If I have a great picture of my son or daughter then I want to see it on my phone. Maybe you can do this on the most recent iPhones though? It's been a while since the 4s!

Both systems are great, and both have their flaws, but I'd agree that new phones are coming out now just for the sake of it. Look at YouTube and you'll see antutu scores etc of every phone. Woopdee doo. In reality I'm happy to wait an extra second or two for an app to open and have that extra cash for something else. Currently using an LG g4 which has a qhd screen, runs perfectly, has a very decent camera and I can replace the battery when it dies and add memory via a memory card slot.

I'm happy to pay a premium for something if it does justify the cost, but for the majority of people who buy a new iPhone (or Samsung etc) , it'll just be used in the exact same way as their old phone! But it's shiny and new and has no bezels!

You've been able to choose any photo you want as wallpaper for years.

You've been able to choose any photo you want as wallpaper for years.

And then place tiles all over it to cover it up was my point! My android background is clean with all apps tucked away, accessible by one swipe. When I unlock my phone I'm greeted with a picture of whatever I choose without obstruction. Much like my laptop and PC background, I prefer having nothing showing. That wasn't ever an option back with the old iPhone 4s.

And then place tiles all over it to cover it up was my point! My android background is clean with all apps tucked away, accessible by one swipe. When I unlock my phone I'm greeted with a picture of whatever I choose without obstruction. Much like my laptop and PC background, I prefer having nothing showing. That wasn't ever an option back with the old iPhone 4s.

Clear all apps from screen one, swipe left to bring them back. That way when you unlock the phone you see an clear view of your chosen image.

It's still not ideal though. A workaround sure (and what I used to do), but it's just never as smooth as having the dock on android. I suppose my issue was really the fact that I couldn't place them so the app tiles would inevitably cover up an important part of the background. Regardless of what screen they were on.

I'm not anti apple at all. My 4s never skipped a beat and I loved it. I'd go back to apple if I thought there was something genuinely worth going back for. Right now there's nothing in the new phones I would see as a worthwhile upgrade coming from an old android or an old apple phone. Not to mention the need for extra money on top if you want to use fast charging on the new phones.

That's me though. I drop my phones, my kids drool on them and they get well used so splashing out that kind of money for no real reason isn't ever going to appeal to me. In fact I'd cry if I dropped a £1000 phone - and I would drop it at some stage cause I'm clumsy with phones!

Not the same at all, give grandad an iPad and iMessage works without any extra installation or fuss.

Can that be said for Whatsapp (could you explain how you even install Whatsapp on an iPad?) or Farcebook messaging?

Oh, by the way, the whole point of the previous discussion (post 53) was the fact iMessage only works on iOS, maybe you missed that as you jumped in feet first...
If I gave my grandad an android tablet or iPad, I would have to set it up, including the WiFi connection for him and I would install WhatsApp for him at the same time.

Having a messaging app that is impossible for the majority of mobile devices can't use doesn't make it better than another choice that anybody can access.

Back