The Jellyfish nebula

Name
Sara
Edit My Images
Yes
IC443 (Sh2-248) a supernova remnant (SNR) located in the constellation Gemini. It is commonly known as the “Jellyfish Nebula”due to it's shape. These types of objects are created by one of the most important processes in the universe - a supernova event - when a star explodes and scatters the heavier chemical elements it has made during its lifetime back into space. This material will eventually form into future stars and planetary systems. IC443 is thought to have been formed between 30,000 and 35,000 years ago and is located about 5,000 light years away,

This is a total of 20 hours exposure time, each individual exposure being 30 minutes long. I hope you like it!

IC443 (Sh2-248 ) The Jellyfish nebula by swag72 (www.swagastro.weebly.com), on Flickr

Awesome !! Love the image and I must admit to being a tad envious also.

Sara, I'm no expert on astro photography but this seems to be fairly spectacular to me. I now have visions of a number of similar shots hung on your wall and I'm truly impressed. Just wow!

Thanks all :clap: I've never printed one of my pics let alone hung them on my wall Pater!! A few people have bought them though and say that they look very nice.

Simply stunning. I've seen astro photography books with images that can't touch yours. Brilliant.

That's an incredible image! I didn't realise quite how much time and effort went in to shots like this, but it's absolutely worth it with results like that!

That's an incredible image! I didn't realise quite how much time and effort went in to shots like this, but it's absolutely worth it with results like that!

Thanks! Getting the data is the easy part. The processing of each individual image can take many hours - maybe 8-10 per image.

Thanks all :clap: I've never printed one of my pics let alone hung them on my wall Pater!! A few people have bought them though and say that they look very nice.

That's a crying shame, Sara. All the ones I've seen deserve at the very least A3 prints IMO. If you'd like a couple, drop me a PM and I'll do you a few prints in exchange for being allowed to print myself a couple for my walls.

The standard is not higher & it's one of the few competitions that's free to enter. And that prize money should come in useful. I never thought I would win it let alone be a finalist for three times. Go for it - it will do your self confidence a heap of good !
James

This year - you must have seen the image - it was a double page spread in the Sky at Night magazine. I have just posted a different aurora shot that I didn't enter into the competition on this very site ( my very first image posting here).
Just do a Google search of my name to get a view of my stuff.
James

James Woodend

This year - you must have seen the image - it was a double page spread in the Sky at Night magazine. I have just posted a different aurora shot that I didn't enter into the competition on this very site ( my very first image posting here).
Just do a Google search of my name to get a view of my stuff.
James

James Woodend

Holy Moly James - That is some resume - APODS as well. I feel utterly humbled, your work is excellent - well done doesn't even touch it.

Yes I shoot in the usual Ha, OIII and SII - I use the 3nm Astrodon filters - They are really top class. Adding another scope to the arsenal soon - Interesting time ahead!!

Back