North England The Lake District - locations and camping

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I am thinking of camping in the lakes on Tuesday night and then getting up nice and early Wednesday to spend a day doing photography.

Would like some advice on decent camping locations (not expensive, two people and a tent) and photography locations.

Earlier this year I did Blea tarn and Buttermere (no reflections though so want to do this again at some point).

Wouldn't mind getting up a bit higher to do some pano stuff, would like to make use of my new ND filter and grad ND as well.

Any recommendations are welcome (y)

I would recommend camping at Gillside Farm at Glenridding, Ullswater. You are at the base of Helvellyn (big lump of rock) as well as at the south end of the lake itself, so plenty of landscape material. We camp there with our motorhome and it costs £20 a night for the 2 of us. I assume it will be less for tents etc. The site is large enough to spread out, great views, decent showers, toilets etc and is 10 mins walk into Glenridding itself and even less to a decent pub called the Travellers Rest. All bases covered :)

Last edited:
or as an alternative the NT site in Great Langdale.

Stickle Tarn / Parvey Ark for reflections.
Walking up Rossett Gyll is a bit of a pull but once on the top the views are great. If you are early enough and have the legs Esk Hause
to Scafell Pike is on. Mind you the one time I did this it nearly killed me.

Whatever remember it is the school hols and the campsites will probably be rammed - if possible book. After mid morning
the popular walks will resemble a line of dayglow blobs.

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/documents/great-langdale-pitches-and-prices.pdf

Last edited:
Thanks very much - will have a look in to these. I am teacher so my available timings are limited to school holidays so I guess thats something I will have to deal with :) Helpful advice, will make sure I am up there nice and early!

Back