Cobra

In Memoriam. TPer Emeritus
Admin
Name
The real Chris
Edit My Images
No
161570f1d14c8a.gif
This is the place for the @mpb.com sponsored images.
No chat. That goes in HERE.

Last edited:
Well someone has to be first I suppose.

Here is my effort, taken today.

It was pretty windy with lots of fast-moving clouds so I thought why not try a cloudscape?

Entry-Option-1.jpg

Taken with my OM-1 with the 12-100mm zoom set at 12mm.

I used my OM-1 because it can do live composite images, like my previous camera the Olympus EM1mk3 which I actually traded in through MPB earlier this year.

In order to get a long enough exposure, I attached an 8-stop ND filter.

This is a composite of 420 x 1/2 sec exposures all done in camera.
The settings used were F22, ISO 1250 in order to get a slow enough shutter speed and avoid over-exposure.

The camera was mounted on my tripod and manually triggered.

I did some post-processing in PS to try and tidy up the big tree on the left which was blurred quite a bit by the wind.

Here is the gear I used this afternoon, this image was taken with my iPhone.

Gear-Used.jpg

Hope I have provided sufficient info to meet the criteria.

Last edited:

Legal Expressions
by Bristol Streets, on Flickr

EQUIPMENT USED
The equipment used was an Olympus OMD E-M5 Mk3 with a Sigma 56mm f1.4 DC DN | C 016 lens.

WHY THIS IMAGE
My main genre of photography is street/candids and I look for people in situations that paint a picture for me.
I went to photograph the Barrister's Strike at the Bristol Crown Court and noticed that one lady Barrister (Lucy) had brought her young baby with her and there was a moment when Lucy's baby turned around to a couple of other lady Barristers behind her, bringing expressions of joy.
However not everyone had their hearts melted by the youngster and there was a clear difference in body language and expressions amongst the group.
The mixed response gave rise to the title, "Legal Expressions".

WHY THIS EQUIPMENT
The camera choice was easy, I have two E-M5 Mk3 bodies. A Sigma 30mm f1.4, Sigma 56mm f1.4 and Olympus 75mm f1.8 are the lenses I generally use for this genre of photography.
The Sigma 56mm f1.4 was my choice for this shot as it is very sharp even wide-open and has an excellent range for street/candid shots, individuals or smaller groups.

HANDHELD OR TRIPOD
The kit was handheld, being carried via a neck cord.

SETTINGS USED
The camera was set to Aperture Priority as I find this to give me the best options for my type of photography, being the most flexible and faff-free for taking what is often an impromptu shot. The lens was set at f5.6 to give sufficient depth of field and image quality, which on this dull day gave me a shutter speed of 1/100th at ISO 200. The OMD E-M5 Mk3 has an excellent 5-axis Image Stabilization, so handheld at lower shutter speeds is generally not a problem.

IMG_1037.jpg

They come in the night by Paulie-W, on Flickr

Hasbro Black Series 6" figure of Bo-Katan Kryze (from Star Wars). I really like to try cinematic shots of these figures.

Kit used
Fuji X-H1
Fujifilm XF35mmF1.4 R
Godox 685F flash (with dark red gel)
Godox X2TF transmitter

Handheld (well just off the grass)

Settings
Camera on manual. 1/6400 - f3.2 - ISO 200

kit pic.jpg

Last edited:
Updated with some post processing and inclusion of EXIF data

full

Add a brief description about the equipment used.
- Lumix TZ30 (approx 10 years old)

Why you chose that image / subject.
- Events, especially stage events is my favorite subject to shoot and yeah, I'm a Queen fan since as long as I can remember.

Why you chose that camera and lens combination.
- Only point and shoot compact cameras allowed in the venue and it's the only one I have. So this became an "old camera challenge". It was quite fun reminding myself how to operate the camera after so many years. Thankfully it has a manual mode so easy to have full control of the settings. But no raw, so I needed to be very careful to get decent exposures right in camera.

Was it hand held or was a tripod used.
- handheld

What settings did you use and why.
- 205mm approx equivalent focal length, f5.4, ISO 400, 1/100th sec. This is as wide open as the TZ would go at the zoom chosen, capped ISO at 400 for IQ then hand held as steady as possible for 1/100th sec (shutter priority). Not easy, I could get about 0.5 fps :)

Add an image of your equipment used at the time and on the day.
full

Entry image taken in the 20:20 in the evening on June 28, 2022

Last edited:
Why this subject
I know this competition is as much about the equipment as the photo itself, but this shot is very special for me. Wayne Rainey crashed whilst leading the GP championship back in 1993 leaving him paralysed from the chest down, and Goodwood FOS 2022 was the first ever time he's been back on a bike since. Anyone who rides bikes will know how difficult this was as you 'feel' a lot of what the bike's doing through your legs and backside. The bike was adapted so that gear changes were done on the bars. Here he is on his old Yamaha halfway up the hill climb on Saturday being accompanied by other legends of the sport, Mick Doohan, Kevin Schwantz, Kenny Roberts and Dani Pedrosa. It was quite emotional.

A9_00686 by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

Here's the official video footage and interview if anyone's interested. I was stood just after the corner that you can see in the video around 1:13.
View: https://youtu.be/LVuESLLzKhM

Kit used and why
I chose the Sony A9ii and 70-200mm f2.8 GM OSS II as this combo is my go-to kit for sports when I can get relatively close to the action. I know the AF is going to work quickly and accurately allowing me to concentrate more on getting the shot. Also not knowing what the weather is going to be like it was important that I took weather resistant equipment, and whilst it didn't rain the gear did get covered in dust at the off-road and rally sections so the environmental resistance came in handy.

IMG_2541 by Toby Gunnee, on Flickr

Settings

ISO 100
Shutter 1/200
Aperture f4.5
Mode - Shutter priority
Focus mode AF-C using Tracking flexible spot S
Drive mode Continuous Hi

I normally choose a slower shutter speed for my motorsport photos to achieve more background blur but this was a moment I couldn't miss so chose a higher shutter speed of 1/200 to ensure that I didn't get any camera shake and end up with an usable shot. As there's no catch fencing at Goodwood I didn't have to worry about keeping the lens wide open to blur the fence so I used shutter priority letting the lens stop down meaning I didn't have to use ND filters. Light was decent so I could easily shoot at ISO 100.

Tripod/monopod or handheld?
It was hand held. I still find I'm better this way than using a monopod, plus it was very crowded and I'm not sure a monopod would have been appropriate.

Why The Image?
I used to shoot film and digital round 2010 at Oulton and really enjoyed it but time and things moved on so my interest in photography went elsewhere. Last year I went back with the idea of doing the same film/digital but so far only digital. Another reason I went back was because I really struggled during lock down, I don't like working from home, I struggled with the isolation and retuning to the track, getting some gear has helped. This image is one where I am slowly trying to get slower and slower shutter speeds on the image and in some respect almost represent the calm I now feel.

BA8K0519 60th by K 91, on Flickr

Gear
I used the Canon 1Dx with Canon 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 USM (used the 105 end for the shot above) for shots like this easy to track the moving subject plus it is useful for round the paddock as well.
I have never used Canon digital photography but bought a cheap Canon 1D then decided to get something that had better AF so I bought a cheap Canon 1Dx which I really like, it's weather proof, tough with good AF setup and with 18Mb sensor gives me more room to play with when cropping, which I find really good for motorsport photography.
The Canon is one of a couple of systems I use.

Canon.jpg

Settings
ISO 100 - I have Auto ISO set between 100 - 1600 ISO.
Shutter Priority
Shutter Speed 1/60
Aperture f13
61 AF points
Tracking Mode 3 with Servo AI
Standard Picture Style with a few things altered as I shoot JPEG and that is almost, bar the crop, SOOC
Continuous Shooting on Low.

Tripod/Monopod/Handheld?
This image was taken hand held and there is no IS on this kit.
Normally I will use a monopod.

Image taken 26th June 2022

Last edited:
My Entry
Taken with a Fuji XE-2 with a 35mm f2 lens.

p733758624-4.jpg

Taken at the Yorkshire Sculpture Park, I liked the combination of the grazing sheep in a pastoral landscape with the Henry Moore bronze as a background to give a sense of scale rather than the usual fields that the sheep graze.
I used that combination as it was my first outing with a new 35mm prime lens instead of my usual zoom lens on the XE-2
Hand held at f5, 1/350th , ISO 200.Camera on auto ISO and aperture priority with f5 to give a reasonable DOF for the subject.

Equipment

p848280392-4.jpg

Beauty, the 2022 Carnival Queen at Cleethorpes Armed Forces day, shot in very bright conditions yet in a shadow, using settings for the first of the air displays, Spitfire as all timings were slightly out.

Olympus EM-1 MK2 Olympus 40-150 f2.8pro
iso 100
1/2000
f2.8

P6240044.jpg

The kit, the settings were set at lightspeed as this Carnival queen wasn't what I was looking for, my original settings were iso100 f16 and 1/125 ready for the Spitfire, it was a very fast change of settings to get this, I am more than happy with this improvised pastel shot, and hand held as I was waiting for something to appear from out of nowhere.

20220430_141206.jpg

Last edited:
The reason why I chose this image is because I had not been to Brighton marina for years, plus as I might be changing system I had to use this new to me camera, so here is my image.

Kit used was the Olympus OM-DE5 III + M 12.40mm f2.8

No tripod, as hand held the camera.

Settings were shot in Manual Mode at 1/500
f5.6 and iso was 64

Roedean Girls School by Rohan, on Flickr

Image of camera and lens used.

20220702_125215 by Rohan, on Flickr

Last edited:
pair of bonking beetles Portland bill
love me do -the beetles by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

equipment used
olympus omd-1mkiii+ olympus 100-400 hand held this is my 95% of the time go to combo as it copes with virtually every type of photography I can throw at it from landscapes ,to portraits ,to b.i.f and extreme close ups such as this due to the olympus i.s system and full weather proofing it allows me to wander freely with no bags ,covers ,monopods or tripods just the camera and lens happy that I can cover virtually every situation I encounter with the bonus the whole rig only weighs 2kg less than a bag of sugar .. quiet important for a 76 year old with a dodgy ticker

Attachments

• IMG_0340.JPG
    IMG_0340.JPG
    252.4 KB · Views: 4
Ficus Foliage

P1090013 TP Comp.jpg

I'd been thinking about starting a 'Project' of macro images of foliage (using a wide aperture) for a few weeks now, so I used the MPB competition to sort of kickstart it off!
It's been really windy up here recently so I decided to take some images in the conservatory of my wifes Ficus plant. Equipment used was Panasonic G2, Rikenon 50mm f2 and extension tube, 1/30th at f2.8. I know it's an old camera but I like the images it takes and the handling (buttons etc) suit me, plus I like using old lenses. In saying that if I won I would get a G80 or similar without any qualms!

DSC00376.jpg

_7519363.jpg

Nikon D750 with Tamron 35-150mm f2.8-f4 lens.

It's what I use for most of my photography. Very versatile in many situations so ideal for taking places I don't know what I'll see. I've always been drawn to graphic arrangements of architecture etc. and have photographed this scene many times before because it felt like it had something going to make a picture. This particular morning the light seemed to make just the right shadow shapes

Hand held. Of course!

As usual when not using flash the camera was in Manual mode with Auto ISO selected so I had control over all three parameters with two dials. When wandering around on sunny days I start out with a shutter speed of 1/500th and aperture of f8. The exif tells me that worked okay to give ISO 100 for this shot.

Add an image of your equipment used at the time and on the day.

The black gaffer tape is to hold the grips in place. It happens to nearly all my gear. The blue tape serves as battery grip terminal cover and has a note of what my Custom Settings are. The worn away paint and rubber on the back and hand grip are out of shot...

_7501254.jpg

Last edited:
My subject - the Sun
Why - I'm an astronomer and I'd rather be out in the day! Seriously, the Sun is fascinating with its solar cycles, sun spots, surface detail and prominences
Kit used - Canon 550D, Sigma 150-600mm C, Manfrotto 190 tripod with 3 way head, intervalometer (a posh cable release), solar filter knocked up from a sheet of mylar, a cereal packet and lots of tape and staples
Settings - iso 100, f8, 1/1000 sec at 600mm (x 1.6 Canon crop factor - 960mm)
Why those settings - they work. Seriously, the 550D is used mainly for landscape so for solar I use my 'go to' settings and just change the shutter speed to suit. If the Sun was at its zenith I'd probably need 1/1200, if it was setting 1/800 or shorter
Technique - first find the Sun! Zoom out to 600mm, autofocus on the edge of the solar disc, centre, switch to manual focus and lock off everything. A moment for things to settle then take a few shots, remove card and review on pc. Either job's a good'un or rinse and repeat to get the very sharpest image. Minimal processing of the very best to increase sharpness and contrast but without losing the finer detail. Save 2 versions, one with the spots ID'd, with file name containing date and time (I work in UT so in this case 0908 was 1008 BST)

The image

Sun 220710 0908.jpg

The kit

20220710_101604.jpg

Edited to add - following this I took a look with my little (on loan) hydrogen-alpha (Ha) scope which shows surface detail and prominences. There was one distinct prominence would be top slightly R in the white light image and some smaller ones further round. I can't image with the Ha scope I have. I'm trying to get one I can image with but there just aren't any to be had. I've been waiting nearly a year now. The manufacturers told be they were doing a batch but none with the European agents.

Last edited:
'HOLDING ON'
This was taken using a Canon R5 along with a Canon RF 100mm macro lens. Although I struggled to drag myself out of bed, I knew that it was going to be a still day and there would be damselflies motionless waiting for the warming sun. I set my tripod up and got as close as I could. Although I could use a small aperture and a higher ISO, I wanted to simplify the background and so used a wider aperture (f4) and this also meant I didn’t have to push my ISO up. I instead used the R5s focus stacking setting to be stacked later using Helicon Focus. The image was then cropped slightly and basic edits applied. Each shot was 1/80 sec f4 ISO 800. Taken 24th June at 5:17am.
Holding On.jpg
Here is the lens and camera I used:
The RF 100mm macro is superb. The fact I can get closer than with my older 100mm macro really helps. This combined with the megapixels of the R5 makes it a wonderful macro set-up to use.
Canon R5 image.jpg

EQUIPMENT USED
The equipment used was a Canon R7 and a Canon EF 135mm F2 lens.

WHY THIS IMAGE
At this location Monsal Weir in the Peak District, most people take the usual weir photograph, i wanted to be a little different and get the plant life in the foreground then the weir in the background.

0P4A0842 by Robert scriven, on Flickr

WHY THIS EQUIPMENT
The camera arrived the day before i took the picture, i just wanted to get out and test it, many people have been on the waiting list for it for months, i love the 135mm f2 so i used the adapter to fit the RF mount

HANDHELD OR TRIPOD
This was shot using a tripod.

620A2239 by Robert scriven, on Flickr

SETTINGS USED
The camera was set to Aperture Priority set on a custom function C3 , i use this for tripod photographs , ISO 100, F22 to give me a low shutter speed without needing a ND filter

620A2220 by Robert scriven, on Flickr

Add a brief description about the equipment used
Equipment used was a Nikon Z FC and 16-50mm kit lens. No tripod or support of any kind except for the neck strap.

Why you chose that image / subject
I love minimalist images with a simple subject and lots of space around the subject. I'd spent several years building two businesses on the Isle of Wight since we moved here in 2017. The island has only 139,000 residents so building a business here takes time and care. In 2020 the pandemic arrived and both my businesses were wiped out. As we came out of lockdown I began to build the businesses again but was forced to sell my entire photography kit in order to help that rebuild. I've just got back on my feet and have begun to once again purchase back my camera and lenses as funds allow. Pandemic or no pandemic, I still had a wife and 13 y/o son to take care of so as my companies closed I took the Hackney Carriage licence and began to drive a taxi. I still drive taxi three days a week to keep funds arriving whilst my two businesses gradually recover. As finances began to ease somewhat, my first purchase was the Nikon Z FC. I'd loved it from afar since it was announced as it accurately mimicked the FM2N that was my first camera back in the 90s, so I knew we'd become best friends and we have. It came with the 16-50 kit lens which is the only AF lens I currently own as I generally shoot everything in manual mode, focusing included and I believe this image was taken in manual mode, too.

Why you chose that camera and lens combination
Both the camera and lens are small and light. Historically, I've not been a huge fan of kit lenses but the Nikon Z lenses have taken image quality to a new level and the 16-50 kit lens is no exception. It may feel a tad plastic but the image results are anything but. Every day I'm driving I have the Z FC beside me on the passenger seat and each morning I select one lens to take with me. On this day the selected lens was the 16-50 as I wanted something light, compact and flexible.

Was it hand held or was a tripod used
I have a couple of tripods but rarely use them or take them with me during the day. This image was handheld, as are 90% of my images these days, especially during the island summers which are generally sunny with plenty of light.

What settings did you use and why
50mm, f/10, 1/250, ISO100.
f/10 to bring most of what I wanted into focus, the subject being quite far away. ISO100 for best quality and despite the fact this was around 8am in the morning the sun was beginning to beam down from the heavens on Duver Beach and the light had already begun to dance off the sea. That sunlight needed to be carefully controlled, however, and this combination delivered exactly what I was after which was that early morning, sultry, romantic light.

I completely forgot to take a pic of the camera/lens on the day but have endeavoured to take one since to comply with the rules. I only have the Z FC at this time so my iPhone has had to suffice for this image.

Last edited:
I still can't make up my mind on which image to choose as I mentioned in the competition rules thread - so I've gone for this one out of a shortlist of two. I selected this one, as I felt it had a strong visual impact, and captured a fleeting moment of connection between subject and photographer, particularly with the red (Something my departed dad once said was to always have someone in your image with a red jacket - well here I have a whole bands worth).

I was in London on the 2nd of July capturing images at 'Pride in London' the 50th anniversary, and although I had a multitude of available shots from across the whole day - this was the one that I personally liked the most. There were elements of both tradition and diversity in that the Grenadier Guards were participating in a Pride event for as far as I know the first time. (In recent years there have been representations from the RAF, Navy and Armed forces - but in the years I've covered the event it's the first time I've seen the Grenadier Guards taking part)

It was taken on the 2nd of July at Trafalgar Square, and was captured with my Canon 1DX mk2 with a 70-200mm 2.8 IS mk2 lens. Settings wise as things were hectic, I went for ISO1000 at f2.8 and 1/1250th of a second shutter. In the throng of the crowds, it was definitely hand-held - not a day to be faffing around with a tripod :) I wanted the bandmaster to be the focus of the image as it were, using the widest aperture to separate the band in the background a little. The area was crowded, so managing to get his attention for a split second made all the difference to the shot for me. He's someone that certainly appears to enjoy his job, even under that particularly warm hat!

So there we have it.

'The Buoyant Bandmaster'

A78I8394.jpg

IMG_0291.JPG

(I should add the image of the camera itself was taken later that day - as being in the midst of thousands of people - I didn't really want to get my backpack off - lay the camera on the floor and take a photograph of it there and then for fear of being trampled by a dozen Grenadier Guards!)

Last edited:
I don't do much landscape stuff but this shot was taken with the OM System OM-1 and the Olympus m.100-400 lens handheld @ 400mm f/6.3 at 1/100 sec iso 200. Amazing stabilisation with the OM system camera and Olympus lens.
I very much liked the house surrounded by trees high on the mountain so took the shot. I chose the lens as it was a far way in the distance. The photo was taken from the 17th deck on the back of P&O's Iona cruise ship while docked at Olden Norway. It was a very overcast and damp but I was please with the outcome of the photo.

Treehouse Norway by Ajophotog, on Flickr

1657999064159 by Ajophotog, on Flickr

Last edited:
Went for a wander around Bushy Park for an afternoon.

Bushy Park Tree Jul22 by Pete Downham Photography, on Flickr

Taken with a Sony A7 IV and Sony 50mm f1.4 Zeiss Planar 50mm

I don't usually take photos of lone trees but thought this one would work well in black and white. The stereotypical shot in the park is usually a deer or bird, I wanted something a bit different.

Lately i've been forcing myself to use a 50mm for everything to make me think more about composition. I find the Sony FF bodies do a fantastic job with DR so well suited to use in harsh lighting conditions such as this.

Hand held.

F4 - the lens is razor sharp at any aperture but didn't want a shallow depth of field as I wanted the sky and clouds to add to the overall look of the image plus I spotted a plane which I wanted to include.

1/2000 - A very bright day so had to control the highlights with a faster shutter speed.
ISO 100 - To keep the image clean with no noise.

Image of equipment used taken with iPhone, they're catching up with cameras quickly !

A74+50 Zeiss by FusionX.Photo, on Flickr

Last edited:
Jumping spider
F5F25EF8-F25F-4DF7-96C5-A219226DFE25.jpeg

A brief description about the equipment used...
This was shot handheld with Sony A9 and Laowa 25mm 2.5-5x at 2.5x, 1/200s, f8 and IS08000 on black acrylic in black backed light tent. it's a focus stack of 15 images and this is where the A9 really excels with its 20 frames per second. People naturally assume the high FPS is for spots and fast moving wildlife, which is certainly useful, but it's invaluable for macro focus stacking handheld. And hand held is the best option for fast moving critters like this.

Why you chose that image / subject...
I'm not a big fan of spiders, but I just find jumping spiders so incredibly adorable. I had seen pics of them online and presumed they lived somewhere tropical so was very surprised to see one in my garden in Woodley, near Reading. They're incredibly small, this one around 1-1.5mm across, and so their beauty can only be unlocked via the camera. When I came across one in the garden last week, I quickly set about trying to capture it - gathering relevant camera kit.

Why you chose that camera and lens combination...
As per the BTS photos, I had a few choices. I was expecting to use the Sony 90mm macro but actually the magnification of the Laowa coupled with the high FPS of the A9 is hard to beat. I have an A7Riii for landscape work and presumed this would be the ideal for macro work with the high pixel count, but actually the high FPS and focus stacking is a much better route.

Was it hand held or was a tripod used...
Handheld

What settings did you use and why....
Laowa at 2.5x, camera at 1/200s, f8 and IS08000 with high burst FPS. Manual focus since lens has no AF - or even MF - it's simply a case of moving ever so slightly closer and further from the subject. Note that even in Bright light tent, this lens still needs ISO8000! It's huge magnification means very little light comes in

Kit
Whole shoot setup included A7Riii with Sony 90 2.8, as well as Sony LAEA3 adaptor for Sigma 180 3.5 in alpha mount - useful to have other lenses (and bodies) close to hand to work quickly before the little fella gets bored and disappears. Also a flash unit for extra light, though in the end didn't use as it was too cumbersome. Ultimately A9 really excels for stacking with the crazy fast 20fps.

Light tent helps for lighting, and also containing the little guy. Acrylic black sheet gives nice reflective surface and means it can be rotated to get best view of spider without disturbing it. Glass there to keep him in place until ready to start shooting (and to put him back in the garden where found once done)

EEFEDBC8-549B-4CED-9FD7-B377948193CF.jpeg03B66E99-EC6F-4EAD-8D6D-F285D0FA13CD.jpegB6552E41-86B4-49E6-B159-E99FF87AF539.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi all, please accept my entry to the competition.

Table Top Trio 06 by
Jak Gunn, on Flickr

EQUIPMENT USED
The equipment used was a Fuji XT-4 with a 18-55 f2.8 lens and Godox MF12 macro flash with 3 heads attached and a Godox XPro TTL trigger.

WHY THIS IMAGE
I like to make things in my little workshop. Ornaments for the garden mostly. I make metal flowers and insects mostly. I found some unused knives and forks, (don’t tell the wife!) and so i thought why not make a person out of one of the forks? The idea grew and it became three people.
Then the drum kit arrived, it’s actually the remains of an egg whisk bent and shaped to hold a ten pence piece on the top. The big bass drum is a spoon.
The organ player is using a bent knife to play on. I have a label machine so that helped with the keyboard.
The guitarist was the hardest. I can’t recall the origin of the large body piece, the strings are the last parts of an egg whisk again as is the head stock.

WHY THIS EQUIPMENT
I love my Fuji XT-4. Light and the variable screen are a real joy to use. The 18-55 is a super lens and tack sharp.
I have very recently acquired a Godox MF12 flash, so that is the unit i used for this set up. 3 heads were used. 2 with plain diffusers on and a third with a red gel filter.

HANDHELD OR TRIPOD
The kit was handheld, I took a number of shots from various angles.

SETTINGS USED
I had the camera on Auto exposure because I was experimenting with the flash units. Exposure was 1/60s at f22.0, ISO400. The background is an old black fleece i have in the garage!

Many thanks indeed and good luck to all the entrants!

Ooops! Forgot to include my kit!

Trio Photo Kit
by
Jak Gunn
, on Flickr

Last edited:
POPPIES

Poppies by Allan Howe, on Flickr

EQUIPMENT USED
Fuji XE3 with Fujinon XF60mm F2.8 R Macro Lens

WHY THIS IMAGE
I take a lot of flower pictures it's kind of a go to subject of mine trying to do them justice is the hard thing, maybe one day.

WHY THIS EQUIPMENT
The camera, lightweight easy to use. The lens gets a bit of criticism and to be fair it can hunt for focus sometimes but it produces images I really like.

HANDHELD OR TRIPOD
Tripod

SETTINGS USED
iso 200, f11, 0.6sec
Shot in the kitchen with the light coming in through the window, bit of photoshop to change the tone of the image and flipped horizontally.

Poppies XE3 by Allan Howe, on Flickr

Last edited:
Infrared Kelpie

Infrared Kelpie by barrysprout, on Flickr

Equipment Used: A recently acquired Sony A7 which has been converted to 720nm infrared. I purchased the camera to try and get more camera use during summer days. Lens was a Sony 28-60mm kit lens which combined with the A7 makes a very light and small setup and the lens performs well with infrared images.

The subject choice was largely dictated by the fact that I have damaged ligaments in my leg at the moment and haven't been able to get out and about much. Thankfully the car park at the Helix Park where the Kelpies are situated allows access without to much walking.

The shot was taken handheld which was the reason for buying a fully converted infrared body. The use of an infrared filter would mean a tripod would be a necessity.

ISO 100
F/8
1/160
60mm

PXL_20220713_132751297.jpg

Last edited:
DSC02287.jpg

Equipment:
Sony A7iii + 55mm f/1.8 ZA. I recently bought the 55mm from MPB, I wanted a fixed focal length around 50mm having had one as a Canon user, and this ticked all the boxes.

Why I chose the image/subject:
This is 'Bottle Alley' in St Leonards on Sea, which has become a regular part of my morning/evening walks along the seafront. I chose it because it's usually a hive of activity and wanted to show it off when quiet - early mornings make an ideal time for this. I was hoping for the sun to be further round to shine some light in between the pillars, but I had to get to work so couldn't wait for the extra hour or so it would have taken.

Why I chose this camera/lens:
The 55mm challenges me to think & shoot differently. My other main lens is the 24-105, I enjoy the fact I have to consider my compositions and angles, instead of zooming to achieve the desired effect.

Camera settings:
55mm
f2.8
ISO 100
1/320s
Date & time - 19/07/2022 06:48

Handheld - I don't like to bring my tripod on walks, I travel light. Phone, keys, camera!
I chose a slightly wider aperture to ensure I threw the background out of focus just enough. The sea wasn't the focal point of the image, although makes a welcome addition to the scene.

IMG_6756.jpg

Here's my contribution.
I'm a keen amateur but sometimes take on event work from time to time.
This is from a charity amateur boxing gig 2 weeks ago. I've tried to pick a photo in which the people are only just recognisable.
(I retain the copyright to the images but UWCB has distribution privileges).
I shoot wildlife, sports, family, and in the studio but I do enjoy capturing split-second moments that you can't repeat. For this, the kit has to respond well to any changing situation.
330A3951.JPG
Date info: DateTimeOriginal - 2022:07:09 16:57:21
EXIF: 1/400s, f/2.2, ISO 2500
Kit used: The kit I use for close-up sports has always been Canon and fast glass through long-term habit.
My current kit (which spends some time upside down as you can see) is a Canon R5, RF 35mm f/1,8, plus a spider pro holster/plate
Why this kit: I used to shoot regularly with my lovely 5Diii. The R5 has a few advantages. Speed, silent mode when needed, cRAW which means that I can shoot all night and keep the full raw information to sort out white balance issues. The LED lights used now in events like this are awful for ruining a shot. WiFi pairing so that I can send off shots quickly via my phone when I spot a good one on the night. However, completely different settings are needed for flash photography, such as the Exposure simulation and ensuring that you have the mechanical shutter active. The high-speed fps of the R5 doesn't really help as if I shoot at such speed, then it will take 4x longer to process the night's images.
Handheld or tripod: only one option here!!!!
Settings: I used these settings as I shoot in auto ISO, but cap it to stop right light highlights from burning out when the metering can't cope. Thinking about the inverse square law, the lighting can change hugely as the boxers move across the ring.
I shoot in manual mode, so that I can balance the shutter speed with the aperture to maintain some greater depth of field. I could just shoot at f/2.8 with a good zoom, but I sometimes like to open the aperture more because of challenging lighting.
I use a shutter speed of 1/400s typically rising to 1/600s for the faster amateur athletes. I gauge how fast the boxers are in the first exchanges and up the ante as required.
For faster semi-pro boxers I will often raise this again to 1/800s if needed but I hope to keep the ISO to 3200 or 6400 at the most.
Processing: I often come out with 800-1500 images from a night's event, so I use Lightroom in my workflow. I've tried alternates but LRc seems to get things done in a way that I like.

The R6 is arguably better for this shot, but I like having the extra pixels so that I can crop in heavily when needed instead of zooming in and out with "slower" glass.
Also on here is a godox unit which I use to trigger some fill light for entrance walk-on shots.
Also for this even I used an on-camera flash for presentation shots, and a 17-40L when everyone climbs into the ring for a team photo!

PXL_20220709_162544381.jpg

Last edited:
mpb by G H, on Flickr. Main image taken 26/06/2022. 1.3sec at f/6.3 ISO 200, 21mm. (disclosure - the lens arrangement in the bag was blended from a second, more organised shot).

Equipment in the shot:
Canon EOS R with the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS II USM
Manfrotto Befree Carbon Fibre Travel Tripod
Lowepro Tahoe BP 150
with a Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM, Canon nifty-fifty and also a 10-stop filter

The equipment used to take the shot is actually my backup camera:
Canon EOS 200D
Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM + Hoya Circular Polariser
Manfrotto PIXI EVO 2-Section Mini Tripod

Seeing as the competition is ‘just as much about the equipment used as the final image itself’ I decided to take a picture of my typical setup on location. This scene shows my every-day carry kit and what I need when I’m out and about. The Canon EOS R is a great landscape camera with plenty of resolution and features for its price point. The Manfrotto Befree tripod is light and packs down nicely, and the Lowepro bag is simple and incognito which is great for a busy urban setting.

mpb cavgez 2 by G H, on Flickr. Equipment image (re)taken 20/07/2022 09:23. 1/250sec at f / 8.0 105mm ISO 100.

I enjoy capturing motion, so the tripod and circular polariser are essential. I took this photo using my backup camera with polariser on a small tripod. The Canon 200D is compact and reliable and produces good images when needed. The Manfrotto PIXI packs away nicely and also doubles as a desktop webcam support when back in the office. The Canon 200D, Lowepro Camera bag, and Manfrotto tripod were actually all purchased from MPB over the years and are still going strong.

Last edited:
Cygnets.jpg\

This was taken this afternoon with my Panasonic Lumix G80 with a 35-100 f/2.8ii zoom.

I often walk and cycle the tow-path of the Gloucester and Sharpness canal, looking for interesting characters and wildlife. The canal is 19 miles long and there are stretches where it’s pretty wild and there’s not a soul to be seen, and other parts where it’s very busy. A lot of boat-traffic (including tall-ships), anglers, rowers, dog-walkers, cyclists, walkers, and photographers use the canal and its tow-path and there are several turning bays / junctions / and historic artefacts (such as the old Severn Railway Bridge abutments.) Each year a pair of swans nest in the same place - a small inlet in a quiet wooded area just outside town - and I will be able to follow these cygnets from hatching right through to adulthood.

The G80 is small enough to carry around my neck when cycling, and it balances perfectly in the hand when walking. The 35-100 f/2.8ii is a lovely handling lens with a nice range for canal-side photography.

I hand held the camera - the stabilisation is very good and quietly gets on with things.

Settings were 1/125th second at f/7.1 with an ISO of 800. I zoomed in to 89mm to get the framing of the three cygnets just as I wanted. To get a reasonable speed (even with the great stabilisation) I upped the ISO, which also allowed me enough aperture to get all three cygnets in reasonable focus.

G80 + 35-100.jpg

Last edited:
EQUIPMENT USED
Canon R5 with EF 200 2.8 L

WHY THIS IMAGE
Heard the hedgehog moving around our backyard, so put out some food for him and bingo! This was Monday July 18 night.

WHY THIS EQUIPMENT
I had my Z7 to hand, and grabbed a couple pictures on that, but I only have a shorter lens so grabbed the R5. Despite not being the most enjoyable to use ergonomically, the R5 is pretty dang good!

HANDHELD OR TRIPOD
Handheld

SETTINGS USED
ISO 12800, 1/20 at F2.8. Resized to Full HD for this post. You can just see the hedgehog bowl in the corner of this picture!

Attachments

• 0X7A0329.jpg
    0X7A0329.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 08966EA2-4530-45B5-86D5-581E522056D7.jpeg
    08966EA2-4530-45B5-86D5-581E522056D7.jpeg
    221.7 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Afghan Woman

Agreed to pose, big smile please,

Taken today 20/07/22

AM-JKLVW90LhOgR1andisEzHj68ddGzfsL5e0Up-V6azjtqgdb8IYQI10qVd_Nly5h3txo23jY5js4qcySAWgOzIRnxVZYOXGcH_icni3l7AP1NkSO4YPdQXy_rQSe5Ppo8t7Jz6kFapmVCXHQoS0SSJGSrl0w=w951-h866-no

EQUIPMENT USED
Panasonic GX80 + Leica 45mm f/2.8

WHY THIS EQUIPMENT
The GX80 is small & light with electronic shutter I like for firing off lots of shots unheard by the inexperienced model.
The Panasonic Leica 45mm f/2.8 is a macro lens maybe not the best for M43, but good for portraits.

HANDHELD OR TRIPOD
Handheld

SETTINGS USED
ISO 200, 1/30 sec at f/3.2

AM-JKLWi2_8-_mMk9CA-BASK2PcFvFz6kw85gHmHnHaw0zTUYO8IuIs2T9RqF3bcb28IpFnssBsvNot1tbRMikMRs8h5eCYpIl351u_OQddZcPURWb7pqkMWaIKlkH1LkUyK4m1gLQJA7JjNhTMX--qQGBsqOA=w1013-h866-no

Riding the skinny by Lewis Craik, on Flickr

This is my 6-year-old son, Owen, practising his mountain bike skills on a very warm bike ride at the weekend. I chose this photo as it reminds me of a fun day out on the bikes - I took a few photos on the ride, but this was my favourite because the dried

Equipment used
I took this on my trusty Fuji X100V - chosen because it packs a large sensor into a small package, which fits nicely into my usual mountain bike rucksack (along with tools, spares, snacks and plenty of water to drink on such a hot day!). It was definitely too hot to ride with my full camera kit at the weekend!

Fuji X100V by Lewis Craik, on Flickr

Settings
f4.0
1/1700th (auto)
160iso
Handheld
Usually I would have shot something like this wide open at f2.0, but as it was so bright I closed down the aperture a bit to make sure that I wasn't going too fast on the shutter speed. I couls have used the build in 4 stop ND filter, but thought that would be a bit too much. Iso was as low as it goes and I let the camera work out the shutter speed. Handheld so that I could track Owen in the viewfinder (I used the EVF) and I didn't want to carry a tripod around on my ride.

Bath Carnival 2022.. 9/7/2022

DSCF2923.jpg

I had popped into Bath to meet a friend for a coffee, it was looking rather fine weather wise so I booked an earlier train, packed my Fuji X100V and hit the streets to shoot some street photography. I had no idea beforehand that a street carnival procession was about the start, but heard some noise down the street, so I followed my ears to where the action might be. I then parked myself in a couple different spots on the busy pavement and tried to capture different moments as the carnival procession passed me.

I chosen this photo because I particularly liked the gestures, light, layers and colours. In terms of settings, I manually exposed for the highlights which gave me a reading of F13 1/800 and ISO 1000 - I had chosen F13 for lots of focus and 1/800 to freeze the action.. and then ISO 1000 gave me the right exposure.

The X100V was in my 'bag' that day because it's small enough to fit in my pocket. It's so easy to have it on you most of the time! I particularly like the fact it's light and has a flippy out screen, this meant I was able to get low and angle the camera for this photo, and it helped me achieve a better composition than it would have been at eye level. The photo was taken handheld.
IMG_4483.jpg

Leica Q camera

I am currently doing a colour based project on faded light

I like to limit myself to 1 camera on each outing. I selected the Leica Q because I like to challenge myself with different focal lengths, I am not used to a 28mm.

Handheld

iso 100, F8, 1/250

I wanted to achieve a good level of sharpness whilst keeping the iso pretty low, I intentionally set the exposure low so the foreground was dark.

Attachments

• 20220712_212809.jpg
    20220712_212809.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Sneakers.jpg

Samsung S22 Ultra

I am currently working on a project called 'Discarded or lost'. It isn't an Ansel Adams but there is a story there somewhere. It was shot opposite HMP Manchester (Strangeways). so it might have been an escape by the invisible man. You decide!

I haven't had much chance to shoot over the past month or so but I am working on a project which sometimes means I need to shoot with what I have to hand

Handheld

TBH this was the auto settings of the camera on the phone. I cropped slightly in PP but otherwise WYSIWYG.

Do you really want a picture of a generic S22 Ultra? It does have a great case and a magnetic attachment so I can use it on my motorbike as a GPS :)

52228901447_ee2745f0af_k.jpg

Chose this pic as shows the determination of the women cyclists during the British Cycling Road Race Championship in Castle Douglas on June 26th , the TT races held in previous days were hot, very hot in fact but the road race weather forecast was miserable to read but even more miserable to ride in. This shot was taken on the way out of town about mid race, I had been chasing the race and every time I jumped out to shoot the heavens opened, none more than during this shot.

Equipment used
Shot with my Z9 paired with 70-200 2.8 lens. I know I'm lucky to have a Z9 and few cameras would have coped with the deluge or manage to focus through it. Its even more lucky in that I'm still waiting on my Z9 I pre ordered and this camera came up on MPB that I couldn't turn down. Its truly an amazing camera and lens combo, its normally paired with a Z6 and 24-70 and neither on a tripod.

Settings
Tried to keep some motion but with such poor conditions I kept it safer with 1/640s at ISO 500 and a low aperture of f3.2 to take the background away from the viewer

The competition is now closed.
Well done to all that entered.
There have been some very interesting and diverse images posted.
I think the judge, Ian Howorth, will have a tough time selecting the best 3.

Good luck to all.

Last edited:
The results are now in, congratulations to the winners.
Please PM @mpb.com with your email address
Jamil would also like your permissions to post the images on their facebook & twitter pages.
If you agree could you also say privately.
They also would like the original file also.

Winner: @CavGez (Camera on tripod with motion-blurred people)

Comment: This image really stood out as it captures the theme of the competition really well. It displays good technical understanding in capturing an everyday scene whilst keeping the camera as the central subject.

52229316915_d0d7e8cc0b_k.jpg

Runnerup 1: @Knikki (number 7 racecar)

Comment: Who doesn't love a good pan shot - and this one is done really well, with many flowing lines dividing up the frame and placing the subject right in the centre of them all.

52179498879_9512703782_k.jpg

Runnerup 2: @Allan.H (Poppies)

Comment: We liked this still life as it showed great use of colour and shape while using light to bring a more sombre mood.

52225994639_44d3b69c40_b.jpg

Last edited:
I've locked this one and moved the comments to the chat thread.
Otherwise it'll get very confusing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back