The new, nationwide, travelling camera challenge

Not sure if Justin posted it on last week, but I definitely haven't received it yet. I hope we haven't got another Royal Mail black hole!

Heard back from Justin, who's been unwell but should be able to post it soon.

Happily Loretta arrived yesterday, just in time for Christmas! :clap: Houseful so may take a few days to get the shots. Happy Christmas everyone! :wave:

Hooray :clap:

Thanks to Justin for getting it off in time for Christmas.

And a very happy Christmas to one and all (y)

Ooh, it's getting closer! Really looking forward to it.

Merry Christmas to all at F&C.

Just reading the manual on taking pictures with Loretta... it recommends winding on immediately after taking the shot (which is what Justin did) to prevent double exposure. Somewhere else I saw a recommendation only to wind on a folding camera after the bellows had been opened; something about the slight vacuum from opening the bellows moving the film slightly off the focal plane. Any advice from folder users about best practice?

Glad it's back on track, mind you I'm in no rush I'm so far down the list it'll prob be summer by the time it's my go.

Happy Boxing day guys :)

Just reading the manual on taking pictures with Loretta... it recommends winding on immediately after taking the shot (which is what Justin did) to prevent double exposure. Somewhere else I saw a recommendation only to wind on a folding camera after the bellows had been opened; something about the slight vacuum from opening the bellows moving the film slightly off the focal plane. Any advice from folder users about best practice?

I read that too Chris.

TBH though, I kept forgetting when I ran a film through. Didn't really make a difference I don't think.

Oh dear, I think I've royally screwed up. I took the chance to take one of my shots today, reserving the other for a local event on NYD. Got to venue, nice light, check exposure with X10, set aperture, set speed, wind shutter, take shot, nice.

Driving home, I remembered that I hadn't wound the film on. :bonk: A few minutes later I remembered that I hadn't checked the focus (looks just fine through the viewfinder :cautious:):bang:. At this point I just HAD to pull over. No, the focus was not set where it should have been (infinity). :thumbsdown: Better wind on. Surprised to note there are no numbers visible in the little red window :wacky:. Wind on... only a little bit before several number 8s appear!:bang::bang::bang:

Leaving aside the small matter of forgetting to focus (I'm hoping the hyperfocal distance might rescue that to some extent, as it was f/16), I think the film must have got partly wound on when I was taking Loretta out of her wrappings (I was trying to disturb them as little as possible so as to re-use them). If so, my shot is straddling two frames. The only way forward that I can see is to wind on again and post to the next in line... :bonk::bonk::shrug::shrug:

Hi Chris,

If you are taking landscape type pics, eg most over four meters or so just line up the RED marks you can see above the lens. Focus, shutter speed and aperture should give a reasonable result in cloudy/bright conditions.

C

Thanks Ceejay, this one would have been perfectly fine if focused at infinity or down to the hyperfocal distance, or set to the red marks. The problem was the IDIOT who forgot to even LOOK AT THE DISTANCE SCALE! :bang::bang::bang:

I've had another look at the scale and tried to remember where it was set. I suspect it was a bit lower than the hyperfocal distance (http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html seems to suggest that it would need to be set around 33 feet, and I think it was MUCH less than that).

I'm not beating myself up quite so much about the partly wound-on frame, given I've never handled this kind of camera before. Just trying to make sure no-one else pays for my stupidity (Andysnap may remember I'm the one who got so over-excited with Oly the Trip that I took 6 frames instead of 5!).

Next challenge I'd better issue a health warning before asking to participate!:cautious:

Ooh - bad luck Chris. I forgot to focus on a couple of shots when I used it.

Not sure what happened with the wind on, but don't worry about it. It's all part of the challenge and everything will all work out in the end. (y)

Loretta has been posted today to Ceejay second class, so she doesn't get there before he gets back at the weekend. In the end I took only the one shot (probably out of focus and out of frame alignment), and wound on to frame 9 ready for Ceejay. I've tried to protect the wind-on knob from accidental movement when unpacking, using a dismantled film cartridge!

Loretta arrived today, cheers Chris.
As long as the shutter lever on the front of the lens isn't cocked there is no
need to protect shutter button. (it won't fire without the lever being moved)

desf can you PM me your address please.

C

No, it was the winder I was trying to protect! Might be worth checking that the film telltale window still shows "9"?

Address sent by pm.

Really looking forward to having a go at this. I fancy adding this type of camera to my arsenal.

Cheers!

Great stuff.

Should be over this nasty bug before it gets here. Hope to turn it round quickly.

Crawled into work this morning and it was worth it as Loretta landed on my desk mid morning! Beautifully packaged by Ceejay.

I'm aiming for a quick turn around so I'll PM Rob for the next address.

Took my two shots in the crisp morning sunshine by the beach so Loretta is now on her way to Rob in Manchester.

Seeing as I'm passing on to Andysnap, i'll try and get the shots done before or during the London meet so i can give it to him then and save on postage (y)

Arrived this morning but the box appears to have suffered at the hands of the Mancunian postal service, the camera appears to be fine, even the film box protector was still attached (y)

Phew, thank goodness it's arrived. I was getting worried.

Shame about the box but there was loads of bubble wrap so hopefully it was well cocooned.

Loretta is now with me in sunny Cheshire. I shall get my shots taken this weekend and send her on her way to The Matt in Hull next week.

Andy

Apologies folks, I took my shots whilst out with my digikal kit and put Loretta in the bag when I'd finished.....I haven't used the digi since and forgot about Loretta.:bang:

Anyway she's all wrapped up and ready to go and I shall definitely get her in the post to The Matt before the end of the week.(y)

Cheers

Andy

I will be devving the first roll this weekend with any luck
(y)

I have just devved the roll from Loretta, some interesting looking shots.

We have ended up with one double exposure and one blank frame, the double exposure is Frame 3 which looks to be JCoquillons from Bristol

No problem, will get them scanned early this week.
I'll give them a tweak to compensate for scanning but thats all the PP i will do.

I have just devved the roll from Loretta, some interesting looking shots.

We have ended up with one double exposure and one blank frame, the double exposure is Frame 3 which looks to be JCoquillons from Bristol

I think the blank frame was me, probably following an out of focus shot of Warwick Castle! I suspected the film had been wound on a bit when I took it out of the packaging, so I decided not to take the second shot, and to set it up for the next person...

Back