The new Sony A9 - What are your thoughts

I think he means in a situation where the track is coming at an angle, so not only are you panning left to right (or right to left) the subject is also getting closer to the camera.
O yea OK makes sense but it's not panning on the z axis. It's still panning either left or right. But need af to track the car coming closer to u

I think he means in a situation where the track is coming at an angle, so not only are you panning left to right (or right to left) the subject is also getting closer to the camera.

Hmmmm! a bit like this one taken a while ago using my old Canon 40D, since sold.

He was just coming off/round the bend in the track
1792802425_b8cc00f62c_o.jpg
faces_0893 by Imagin8, on Flickr
1792802425_b8cc00f62c_o.jpg

This sounds really good - running both Sony & Nikon systems at the moment, I like the Sony much better for handling & general camera control. Just a shame that it's so expensive & uses the E mount.

But perhaps I can pick up an A7r at the trade in prices posted earlier. :D

O yea OK makes sense but it's not panning on the z axis. It's still panning either left or right. But need af to track the car coming closer to u

Of course it is, the car is still moving closer or further away at the same time as moving side to side, things don't move along 1 axis at a time.

It is also relative to the direction you are facing, not just the way the track goes. IE, if I am standing in the middle of a straight close to the track and facing a corner at an angle of 45 degrees, the car moves closer to me on a diagonal across 2 axis as it is moving both across my frame and closer to me at the same time.

Last edited:
Of course it is, the car is still moving closer or further away at the same time as moving side to side, things don't move along 1 axis at a time.

It is also relative to the direction you are facing, not just the way the track goes. IE, if I am standing in the middle of a straight close to the track and facing a corner at an angle of 45 degrees, the car moves closer to me on a diagonal across 2 axis as it is moving both across my frame and closer to me at the same time.
Your not actually panning on the z axis. Can you show me an image of you panning on a Z axis shot?

Your not actually panning on the z axis. Can you show me an image of you panning on a Z axis shot?

This car is coming at me on a diagonal, meaning that it is moving on both the X and Z axis, as it is moving CLOSER TOWARDS ME (which is what the Z axis is, depth, distance from you, movement is NOT exclusive to 1 axis at a time). It is a 1/80th of a second shot at f16. If the statement about the Sony is correct this shot wouldn't be possible because the AF would lock on the first frame yet the car would still be coming towards me at speed.

Edit: I should say that with the Sony camera you wouldn't be able to take a burst of shots like this, a single shot is possible.

500_7416 by Scott Boulton, on Flickr

Last edited:
Been thinking about this whole Sony thing not being able to track at f11 or smaller, is it just at 20fps or can't it do it at any fps. I could imagine that it could be physically limited by frame rate as it takes time for the lens to stop down open up
again and regain focus before it can shoot again. Obviously the smaller the aperture the fractionally longer it takes to stop down and open up again, so maybe at 20fps it's just not physically possible to do this to f11 and smaller, but if it it just this physical limiting factor then it should still be able to do it at lower fps like the D5 etc can I'd have thought?

Sorry if this has already mentioned and I've missed it but having just looked at the Sony site 20fps is only available with the electronic shutter. Ok no big deal, but the big deal is max frame rate with the mechanical shutter is a (relatively) pathetic 5fps, meaning sports shooters will be forced to use the electronic shutter. Whilst the readout time of the sensor is 20x faster (than what they don't say) apparently rolling shutter is not fully negated and they have to use processing to remove it (according to 3rd party websites). If that's true I wonder how good it is and whether there's the risk of artefacts. Just the mere chance of unwanted artefacts could potentially put a pro customer off. There's also no mention of whether or not it'll avoid banding under fluorescent lights that we commonly see with electronic shutters. Time will tell I guess whether these things at potential issues and whether Sony have finally cracked the pro mirrorless sports cam.

Sorry if this has already mentioned and I've missed it but having just looked at the Sony site 20fps is only available with the electronic shutter. Ok no big deal, but the big deal is max frame rate with the mechanical shutter is a (relatively) pathetic 5fps, meaning sports shooters will be forced to use the electronic shutter. Whilst the readout time of the sensor is 20x faster (than what they don't say) apparently rolling shutter is not fully negated and they have to use processing to remove it (according to 3rd party websites). If that's true I wonder how good it is and whether there's the risk of artefacts. Just the mere chance of unwanted artefacts could potentially put a pro customer off. There's also no mention of whether or not it'll avoid banding under fluorescent lights that we commonly see with electronic shutters. Time will tell I guess whether these things at potential issues and whether Sony have finally cracked the pro mirrorless sports cam.

Bingo. There as a lot of wait and see with this cam, as with all the Sony in the past ime, great on paper but issues reveal themselves... still... wtf are the other dslr manufacturers doing to push new tech... or are they just perfecting current. The odd thing is mirrorless is way cheaper to produce but look at those prices, guess the r&d is costing them.

Cracked the pro mirrorless.... hardly. Wtf haven't they released the a99 body with this tech and a proper a mount sans dslt? Seems they never learn. Maybe round 3. Obviously it makes more sense to redesign all your lenses, change reg distances, add adapters, change lighting systems, reduce battery life, mess up the ergonomics, increase costs, rather than making a mirrorless dslr that is slightly fatter.

Last edited:
Bingo. There as a lot of wait and see with this cam, as with all the Sony in the past ime, great on paper but issues reveal themselves... still... wtf are the other dslr manufacturers doing to push new tech... or are they just perfecting current. The odd thing is mirrorless is way cheaper to produce but look at those prices, guess the r&d is costing them.

Cracked the pro mirrorless.... hardly. Wtf haven't they released the a99 body with this tech and a proper a mount sans dslt? Seems they never learn. Maybe round 3. Obviously it makes more sense to redesign all your lenses, change reg distances, add adapters, change lighting systems, reduce battery life, mess up the ergonomics, increase costs, rather than making a mirrorless dslr that is slightly fatter.
Yeah, you have to give Sony credit for innovation. Maybe Canikon are waiting for Sony to go through all the pitfalls and when they feel Sony is pretty much there they'll 'steal'/copy their tech ;)

Maybe Canikon are waiting for Sony to go through all the pitfalls and when they feel Sony is pretty much there they'll 'steal'/copy their tech ;)

+1 what I also think. Canon has had dual pixel for quite some time which is great, but the 5div could've been souch better for video and the apsc stuff doesn't even have 4k yet.

Let's wait and see. If it does what it says on the tin without issues like artifacts and limited af above f11 then I will be walking into the shop with my card ready

Let's wait and see. If it does what it says on the tin without issues like artifacts and limited af above f11 then I will be walking into the shop with my card ready

I thought one of the other roles of the stacked sensor tech was meant to stop the artifacts when using electronic shutter. Anyway, reviewers should be allowed to share images later next week so we should hear/see about it more then.

What I'm keen to find out is if the a7 line will continue. And will some of the features filter down. Or, do I need to start saving for this. I assume an a9r would be even more expensive.

I thought one of the other roles of the stacked sensor tech was meant to stop the artifacts when using electronic shutter. Anyway, reviewers should be allowed to share images later next week so we should hear/see about it more then.

What I'm keen to find out is if the a7 line will continue. And will some of the features filter down. Or, do I need to start saving for this. I assume an a9r would be even more expensive.
A9R would be more expensive I presume and slower. Maybe max 10fps an above 60mp

Id be more thinking the features would be more aimed towards either someone with too much money to spend or perhaps an advanced amateur, surely faster lenses would be required.

It is supposed to, but I can't help think that when you start 'messing' with images there's a chance of introducing artefacts. That being said, Olympus have inbuilt vignette and distortion correction which I've never seen cause and issue. This of course is different to rolling shutter.

People on YouTube seem to be having orgasms about this thing but it's only aimed at pro photographers and will it make anyone a better photographer and will it overheat i wonder?

Last edited:
People on YouTube seem to be having orgasms about this thing but it's only aimed at pro photographers and will it make anyone a better photographer and will it overheat i wonder?
Well none of the A7's overheat when taking stills.

You better stick with taking pics with your iPhone as any form of dslr or mirrorless wont make u a better photographer ;)

Well none of the A7's overheat when taking stills.

You better stick with taking pics with your iPhone as any form of dslr or mirrorless wont make u a better photographer ;)
Oh don't be so serious, your sounding like a fan boy [emoji65]
[emoji3]
Or maybe you need 6 million focus points [emoji23]

Last edited:
Oh don't be so serious, your sounding like a fan boy [emoji65]
[emoji3]
Or maybe you need 6 million focus points [emoji23]
Jonney a Sony fanboy??? Never :sneaky::p

Well they can always utilise the 20fps and, 600++ fps with nikon and Canon glass being as Sony don't have much [emoji23]which look rather silly on a small body, mirrorless smaller???

Last edited:
Why do they release so many cameras and few lenses that would suit this like a supertele series? May as well wait 9 months post release and get the A9II when the bugs have been ironed out.

Last edited:
Why do they release so many cameras and few lenses that would suit this like a supertele series? May as well wait 9 months post release and get the A9II when the bugs have been ironed out.
Fuji go slowly but everything is spot on, Sony I don't understand, everythings half baked
The mk II will be out in July [emoji23]

Last edited:
Back