The new version of Flickr

My settings haven't changed, and isn't one benefit of uploading full res files that they're backed up somewhere independent of your system? There are other ways to do it obviously, but it does have that benefit.

I absolutely despise the new flickr! they did this with no warning whatsoever, reminds me windows 8 which I also hate. I prefered the old site, I don't use a crappy tiny screen phone, tablet or laptop which is what is appears to be designed for....

I'm seriously considering asking for a refund for paying for the pro account, it's a joke that a company can take your money without even warning users about the new changes. On mine it is very buggy and slow, when it loads it does look good but I don't like the block layout with no description or title underneath, not impressed one bit!

Another thumbs down from me. I have not yet managed to load a full screen image - "juggling balls/black screen" - and the whole thing is as Neil said - slower than a one legged dog.
Not impressed.

Apologies if this has already been asked.

When I click on my sets and then open a set - is there a way I can see a grid of small images like I used to have ?

I don't really want a huge montage of large images that takes half an hour to scroll through to find a particular image.

Apologies if this has already been asked.

When I click on my sets and then open a set - is there a way I can see a grid of small images like I used to have ?

I don't really want a huge montage of large images that takes half an hour to scroll through to find a particular image.

click edit in the menu that goes across the top, it'll revert to the old layout.

That seems to take me to the 'Organize your photos & videos' page :thinking:

Massive shock to the system

Yes, it apes the tiled contacts section that's been running for a few months but I liked my images presented as it was - the information and notes were clearer. I don't like this new look... too much like 500px for my liking.

My settings haven't changed, and isn't one benefit of uploading full res files that they're backed up somewhere independent of your system? There are other ways to do it obviously, but it does have that benefit.

I can understand independent backup especially where its free but not where you need to upload a high res image that is viewable on the Internet. Any viewable image on the net can be stolen.

Personally I can use my zenfolio website to do that. Seriously thinking of cancelling my Flickr membership and upgrading zenfolio membership instead.

I liked Flickr because it 'just worked'. I originally changed from Photobucket because it was so much more user friendly. It's now lost that intuitive feel.

I guess it's because of the changes and people giving it heavy use, but it's painfully slow at the moment. And I keep getting server errors.

I've immediately cancelled my pro account. I'm not that bothered by a few ad's and the lack of stats.

I'll be looking at alternatives.

Lovely white pages again here, it really is *****.
I think I may move to ipernity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, just click edit tab to see smaller thumbs with details like view count as before.

I quite like the new look, but not the loading speeds...having to refresh each page as I just get a white screen, looks like others are experiencing this too!

Also had my first upload failure...very frustrating. Hope they get these glitches sorted out quickly, because new Flickr could potentially be great :)

ugh I hate it, seems clumsy to me, and I preferred to view my photos as thumbnails, oh well

Well I only paid for pro a couple of months ago, given it only worked out at about 16 quid, I don't see the point in cancelling until it runs out

I don't get the deadline they are putting on cancelling either....

New site seems ok on my ipad, not used it with LR on my PC yet though....

Craig1912 - Thanks for the heads up on Flickr Studio for iPad. It's so much better than the Flickr app itself. As for the rest of it... I could get used to it. Viewing the photos is not that much different than viewing a group's photos. One thing I'm still trying to find out is how to view exif info on a photo.

Bad, bad panda!
Come on. We want photos.
We’re aware of the problem and are fixing it.
Thanks for your patience.

Must be working on it I keep geeting this.

I asked this in another Flickr thread, and no one replied...

Do any of you guys have any of your Flickr photos featuring in the Yahoo Weather app?

What "information" are you looking for ?

When I look at my (or any other) photostream, I can only see the picture title if I hover over it - otherwise nothing unless I actually click on the picture. I can't remember exactly how it was before, but i'm sure i could see a lot more such as number of views and comments, possibly the date uploaded etc.

This is all a great example of "change is bad" mentality and how people over react to what is pretty small stuff.

Okay Flickr could have had a bit of consultation, requirements gathering from users etc,. (maybe they did for a select few?) but looks like they went with a forced roll out.

What will happen after the moaning has stopped is that in a weeks time people will start to get used to it and in a months time people will wonder what all the fuss was about.
Flickr just need to ignore things until that time.

After the server problem last night once it kicked In, i found myself having a very pleasant Tuesday evening viewing images from contacts etc

I don't mind the change at all. Ok it's not going to work right until they iron out the bugs and everyone stops over using the site to test the changes. Once normal service resumes I'm sure it will be ok, I quite like the updated looked.

What I don't like is the fact its changed my download setting. It seems to be different on everyone's account. My account was now set to anyone being able to download the originals and a friends account changed to contacts only. For some its not changed so its not flickr trying to change the settings but a bug in the implementation process that caused it. Now I've checked and altered settings I'm happy with it, but I would advise everyone to check there settings too.

. One thing I'm still trying to find out is how to view exif info on a photo.
go to photostream then edit then select the pic and there should be 3 dots together at the bottom right - this is the icon for 'more' and exif data is in there :)

You could sometimes see a different colour tone in some shots though.

This is all a great example of "change is bad" mentality and how people over react to what is pretty small stuff.

EXACTLY! People here are coming across as a right bunch of miserable moaners. Whining just for the sake of it.

Lol @ anyone that has recently purchased a pro account. Nightmare

Is there still the upload limit for free accounts?I had a look in my settings can't find the meter.

Personally liking the new design. Loving the 1TB for free. :D

refunds are being given..

Indeed, so at least they are doing that.

I expect people to leave in droves, but some will come crawling back when their alternative site (500px, Ipernity wherever!) doesn't quite "feel the same".

That's what Flickr is all about for me, the people and the community...and that hasn't changed at all.

The only thing I hate is the photostream being so cluttered with no apparent way to change it to show, say, a column of individual, larger, images.

Other than that everything seems to be the same, just in different places.

Lol @ anyone that has recently purchased a pro account. Nightmare

Why? I have a recurring Pro account which is due to expire in July and I plan on renewing it (which current Pro users can still do, they just arent allowing new Pro accounts). We still get featues such as replace photo, stats and completly unlimited space....

EDIT: Oh, and Pro accounts are ad-free. And to top it off, prices for us are staying the same. So $49.99 gets us all of that for 2 years (rather than $49.99 for 1 year just for ad-free)

Last edited:
Why? I have a recurring Pro account which is due to expire in July and I plan on renewing it (which current Pro users can still do, they just arent allowing new Pro accounts). We still get featues such as replace photo, stats and completly unlimited space....

EDIT: Oh, and Pro accounts are ad-free. And to top it off, prices for us are staying the same. So $49.99 gets us all of that for 2 years (rather than $49.99 for 1 year just for ad-free)

It really says it all when they no longer offer pro accounts.

Back