The new version of Flickr

I'm not sure about it all but have just changed settings. Why would I want anyone being able to download original image, never mind everyone.?
I'm always a bit suspicious of global corps, this situation seems weird. Anyway, I'm now hiding more info than I used to
Haven't used the new version yet, I'm on my hols, but got to say I preferred it as it was, then again, I don't like change once I'm settled with anything. Time will tell

There were no stats avaliable on a free account anyway:shrug:

I mean compared to having a pro account, if I go free seeing as there's now enough space. I'm debating if stats and ad-free are worth that much per year. I mean considering the 10,106 views I got on a decidedly average photo yesterday said unknown source anyway. :wacky:

I don't overly dislike the new design (I mean, I prefer single column layout but that's going the way of the floppy disk anyway), it's not much different to the old layout of when you used to nose at contacts recent uploads, the fact extra uploads are in neat little boxes on the first photo on the main page is very neat and tidy.

Still cynical of motives but I'm prone to that.

I don't get the deadline they are putting on cancelling either....

It's a deadline for getting a refund. If you cancel before the deadline you get a refund, if you cancel after the deadline you keep pro until your term expires.

They're updating the pro accounts to have the new free features from the looks of it.
Here

Eligible non-recurring Pro members can purchase a recurring Pro subscription.

Your Pro pricing remains the same and your benefits have improved:

Those who remain Pro will retain all their original benefits.
The photo and video size limits will be upgraded to those offered with our new free account.
If you are on a recurring Pro subscription, your payments will remain as is. To see what your current subscription costs, see the previous payment on in your order history.
Pro members will never be automatically transitioned to an Ad Free or Doublr subscription.

Last edited:
It's a deadline for getting a refund. If you cancel before the deadline you get a refund, if you cancel after the deadline you keep pro until your term expires.

They're updating the pro accounts to have the new free features from the looks of it.
Here

"The photo and video size limits will be upgraded to those offered with our new free account."

actually is this not a downgrade? A pro account gives you unlimited storage, a free account is capped at 1 tera

I can't see what the pro account has that the free account doesn't - use of stats maybe? what use is that anyway - I can see who looked at/favourited/commented on my pics on the stream.

does anyone know?

actually is this not a downgrade? A pro account gives you unlimited storage, a free account is capped at 1 tera

They're upgrading the photo and video size limits, not the overall account storage which is still unlimited.

I can't see what the pro account has that the free account doesn't - use of stats maybe? what use is that anyway - I can see who looked at/favourited/commented on my pics on the stream.

Stats is proper website statistics (referrals from other sites, keywords used, etcetera) rather than the social network style ones you can see on photo pages (view/favourite/comment counts).

Pro Benefits said:
Unlimited storage
Archiving of high-resolution original images
The ability to replace a photo
View count and referrer statistics
[Choose the] Limitation of maximum image size available to others
Ad-free browsing and sharing

IF I could remember my password, I could see what I've got on there! Not too bothered about the lack of access to the place TBH - I rarely post pix anywhere apart from here so I use the forum gallery for hosting now. I think one of my machines has the password in its cookie jar so can probably see what's there - might see if I can get in and change the password to one I can remember...

So many complaints and flickr just seem to be waiting for it all to blow over. I have now gone fully over ipernity and finding it just great. Flickr was just getting way too slow and hanging before all this started so had been thinking of moving anyway. Thanks for the push is all can say now to flickr. Also read onthe flickr forum that Yahoo can sub-license your photos too. :shrug: Don't quite know what it means but hey someone could enlighten us all maybe. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I like the new layout, mostly. I was thinking the other day I wish my pics were displayed in the 'justified' style they brought in a while back, and now they are! I don't like the new home page, I preferred seeing the focus on my own images' activity rather than what's new from my contacts.

One thing though, small images don't look at all right for me, must be a new resizing for display algorithm. Finding mine look a lot lower quality than they used to. Full screen just hangs still, so unsure how that looks yet! I'm sure they'll get there.

I am glad I still have pro though, sucks to be a new user!

So many complaints and flickr just seem to be waiting for it all to blow over. I have now gone fully over ipernity and finding it just great. Flickr was just getting way too slow and hanging before all this started so had been thinking of moving anyway. Thanks for the push is all can say now to flickr. Also read onthe flickr forum that Yahoo can sub-license your photos too. :shrug: Don't quite know what it means but hey someone could enlighten us all maybe. ;)

Oh here come the myths. :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

ive just downgraded. ads dont seem intrusive..

Agree, hardly ever notice the ads but then I have probably built up a sub-conscious filter over the years of using other ad riddled sites.

I asked this in another Flickr thread, and no one replied...

Do any of you guys have any of your Flickr photos featuring in the Yahoo Weather app?

I got a couple accepted but they were taken on sunny days! Seeing as they match the photo to the conditions I think I'll be waiting a while to see them :LOL:

I got a couple accepted but they were taken on sunny days! Seeing as they match the photo to the conditions I think I'll be waiting a while to see them :LOL:

I shall keep my fingers crossed for you! I'm finding that I'm getting quite a lot of traffic to my Flickr via the app.

I prefer the old photostream settings but I expect there'll be no way to revert it so I'll have to get used to it. I just liked the info the old photostream gave with the views, comments etc. Haven't really had time to do much on it as I've been visiting my brother in hospital for the last few days, I've been so wrapped up in the hospice that I didn't even know they were changing it.

Looking at the photo display on the new photostream my photos seem sharper, I don't know if that's because on the size increase of the photos or if it's something else.

Last edited:
I think it's rather smart. Screen is filled with photos rather than lots of white space.

Absolutely hate the new design. Looks like someone instagrammed Flickr! :crying:

Maybe you should define what you mean by "instagrammed". Can't see any vintage effects applied to my photos. :thinking:

When I pull the scroll button down to the bottom of the scroll bar, I want to go to the bottom of the (not-cached) page - not have images jumping and loading in front of me whilst the scroll button works its way back up the screen. I don't have a blindingly fast connection, but it's not slow either and is a lot faster than is available for some people.

Previously I could decide how the pictures appeared in my photostream (number on page, size of thumbnail) - I cannot work out any way of changing that now.

I see that there are a few posters on here dismissing/dissing those that don't like the change as though it is simply a case of disliking change and "whining just for the sake of it" - this is not the case here - my choices and control have been taken away as has the visibly available information without clicking or hovering over a thumbnail.

Is there a way to view the discussion groups using this app?

I'd love to see the load imposed on the flickr servers over the last 48 hours, I bet its been huge, which accounts for at least some of the slowness - I haven't really seen it be slow, but I did have pages fail to load last night which then worked on a refresh, sure sign that their servers were overloaded.

I read that they only started on the whole refresh in March - they've done a hell of alot of work in that time, maybe its not perfect but there were always plenty of complaints about flickr being old and outdated and many extolling 500px, now flickr has taken a similar approach to displaying photos as 500px and google+ (amongst others) its "awful" and "horrible" ?

Even if you don't like the design you should at least be pleased that Yahoo are now working on Flickr again, I reckon there is more to come.

I don't see the point of cancelling pro accounts when nothing has changed (T&Cs wise) and you can never change your mind and go back to having one should you leave.

Previously I could decide how the pictures appeared in my photostream (number on page, size of thumbnail) - I cannot work out any way of changing that now.

I see that there are a few posters on here dismissing/dissing those that don't like the change as though it is simply a case of disliking change and "whining just for the sake of it" - this is not the case here - my choices and control have been taken away...l.

Same here.

I like white space around my photos and want it back.. :crying:

When I pull the scroll button down to the bottom of the scroll bar, I want to go to the bottom of the (not-cached) page - not have images jumping and loading in front of me whilst the scroll button works its way back up the screen. I don't have a blindingly fast connection, but it's not slow either and is a lot faster than is available for some people.

I see that there are a few posters on here dismissing/dissing those that don't like the change as though it is simply a case of disliking change and "whining just for the sake of it" - this is not the case here - my choices and control have been taken away as has the visibly available information without clicking or hovering over a thumbnail.

The solution really is simple. Close your account and move elsewhere.
Flickr has to evolve to compete. And there is no way that they'd be able to please all of their users when they introduce changes. Surely that's not too hard to comprehend.
Personally I think it's great that Marissa Mayer has taken a personal interest in Flickr. Whatever they do, whatever they evolve, the whiners will whine. As has so brilliantly been proved in this thread.

Same here.

I like white space around my photos and want it back.. :crying:

It's still there, exactly as it was, just now there's another option of how your photos look.
Open photostream and click the 'edit' button and it looks how it was (y)

It's still there, exactly as it was, just now there's another option of how your photos look.
Open photostream and click the 'edit' button and it looks how it was (y)

It's not how mine was - I had one large pic above another. I can't see a way to alter it from three small pics across.

Whatever they do, whatever they evolve, the whiners will whine. As has so brilliantly been proved in this thread.

perhaps the whiners just have different tastes to the non-whiners?

Just read this:
Can I Still Keep my Flickr Pro Account?
Yes. Last year, Flickr migrated all Flickr Pro accounts into recurring accounts. As long as your account is by way of a recurring subscription (currently quarterly, yearly or for two years), you can continue to renew your account once it expires.

But I can't see anywhere in my 'your account' where it says.....I have a recurring subscription...

Confused.com

Just read this:
Can I Still Keep my Flickr Pro Account?
Yes. Last year, Flickr migrated all Flickr Pro accounts into recurring accounts. As long as your account is by way of a recurring subscription (currently quarterly, yearly or for two years), you can continue to renew your account once it expires.

But I can't see anywhere in my 'your account' where it says.....I have a recurring subscription...

Confused.com

Settings-Manage your pro subscription.

Your Flickr Pro subscription:
Your Pro account will renew automatically on 15th October, 2013

Last edited:
I joined back in 2008, but did not use it much.

Now I go back to have a look and find my username in use by someone else and no trace of my account. :crying:
I still have all the details recorded in my password manager.

The new photostream is only the same as the explore screens were/are anyway.

Sod the layout... I'd be more concerned about paying twice as much for less.

The solution really is simple. Close your account and move elsewhere.
Flickr has to evolve to compete. And there is no way that they'd be able to please all of their users when they introduce changes. Surely that's not too hard to comprehend.
Personally I think it's great that Marissa Mayer has taken a personal interest in Flickr. Whatever they do, whatever they evolve, the whiners will whine. As has so brilliantly been proved in this thread.

This thread is a discussion about the changes to flickr; it wouldn't be an earnest discussion if everybody sycophantically praised and adored the new look - obviously flickr won't please all their users when they introduce changes - especially changes as sweeping and compulsory (i.e. no option to use the 'old flavour') as these ones. If, as you point out, that isn't hard to comprehend, then why do you find it hard to accept that not everyone is going to sing the praises of the new look and why resort to derogatory and emotionally charged language such as 'whiners' to describe those who do not like the changes?

One word...[censored].

To the people who didn't like it the way it was, who are now calling the ones who did like it the way it was "whingers", why didn't you just use another hosting site instead of hanging around whinging until it suited you?

Feedback looks good anyway:
http://www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157633547442506/

Last edited:
Like the look of new flicker,after 10mins found my way round,but can anybody help me to find EXIF?

Like the look of new flicker,after 10mins found my way round,but can anybody help me to find EXIF?

Look for the three dots ... if you can find them for constantly loading images :puke:

I like some of the changes but not that we arent able to choose the layout, Id rather view images in a space not all huddled up together they lose impact/individuality

One word...[censored].

To the people who didn't like it the way it was, who are now calling the ones who did like it the way it was "whingers", why didn't you just use another hosting site instead of hanging around whinging until it suited you?

Feedback looks good anyway:
http://www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157633547442506/

This makes no sense whatsoever. Who was complaining about the old layout?

Apologies in advance if this has already been discussed but has anyone read the comments from the Yahoo CEO, Marissa Mayer, regarding the new Flickr:

"There's no such thing as Flickr Pro today because with so many people taking photos with smartphones there really is no such thing as a professional photographer"

Now, I realise Flickr isn't necessarily geared towards pro photographers and with the abundance of smartphones almost anyone can take a picture and upload it, but I can't help feeling that the above comment sorta cheapens a whole profession.

Back