Wild The next best thing to a Unicorn…

Kodiak Qc

Suspended / Banned
Name
French Canadian living in Europe since 1989!
Edit My Images
Yes

Just as white as a Unicorn, this fellow crossed
the road in two easy leaps then stop to face my
car as to make sure he made it safely!

Having never seen a white dear In Canada, and
this one was at most half the size I'm used to, I
am puzzle: WWT? As I was just there staring at
me I have the chance to pull out the camera and
the lens that was on it and he was kind enough to
let me take one take and he went his way. I took,
TBH, two shots but the second was its behind with
antlers on each side and OoF. :(

C3308%20EDpp.jpg

Last edited:
Leucistic Deer, possibly a Fallow?

Bingo, Roger! Thanks :)

I forgot to say that the lens was the 6oo and
I had no chance to back up… it was leaving.

Very nice Daniel...were the antlers palmate? I think roger has it but those antlers will probably make you sure,if you are not already.Now go find a little one for me and get a sharp capture. i adore this species Daniel. They are not native to us but have been here a very long time,either romans or normans brought them
must dash

Stu

Hey buddy Ingrid has exactly given you the reason why I asked. But I am now stumped Daniel. I can't find a list of french deer,your description of a smaller deer then you knew back home fits fallow but antlers not bring palmate immediately rules them out. Red deer can have a pale colour form and can also vary in size,You have a native in at least N america, not sure about Canada, referred to as wapiti pr elk which until very recently was classed as a subspecies of red deer,this might be the animal you know from your homeland and which your basing size on. As I say they can vary in size ,it seems food might be a player in adult size that can be achieved rather than geographical variation,so potentially there is a possibility you might have a pic of a pale red??

I'm very unsure Daniel sorry I can't be of more help,but if you do find out just what your picture is of, or someone else knows here personally I'd love to know

Oh guys( Ingrid you might be interested in this and know more:)) while digging I came across the fact that dark or melenistic red deer are very scarce in fact barely referenced is mentioned in one of the papers. I know of a small captive herd and took a couple of snaps recently. what really caught my interest was two fawns both incredibly dark in colour. at the time I mused this to be unusual,but I don't really know that much about deer. Maybe those two were rarer than I thought,maybe that young colouration is transient I simply don't know just thought it interesting and worth a mention as the picture looks to be some form of colour mutation

Ha ha Daniel once you know where one has been, or is, there has to be more around;),but you really wouldn't expect me to give you an easy challenge would you:banana::D Mind a 600mm lens will make your life just a bit easier than mine when you find some plus you will have a much better chance of nailing the shot than me,as you know what you are doing with a camera:)

take care both

Stu

Back