The Official Fuji X Pro 1 Thread

If the 56mm 1.4 is as good as the 35mm then I'll be a happy man but my 'benchmark' photographer Damien Lovegrove swears by his 60mm macro.

Well, it's not like there's much alternative at the telephoto end! There's the 55mm end of the 18-55mm, but you're dropping down to f/4 by then.

Well, it's not like there's much alternative at the telephoto end! There's the 55mm end of the 18-55mm, but you're dropping down to f/4 by then.

There is the 55-200 out this year too I guess but I haven't used a zoom in over a year and am used to primes now.

I may rent the 60mm macro to try it out for a few days, I have been using a 50mm 1.7 pentax lens but in lower light the digital preview you need to manual focus becomes very grainy and difficult to focus.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a soft button release? I would like a blue one if possible. Thanks

There has been lots of speculation by users but no real rumours at all.

A lot are expecting an X-Pro1s due to the release of the X100s with the mk2 x trans sensor in it but I personally don't think this means a release is imminent, lets face it, it was a while after the X100 was released before the X-Pro1 was released.

Also Fuji are concentrating hard on getting the lenses in the lens map released for current owners.

I can see the X100s being used to test out the new sensor in the real world so they can iron any bugs out before releasing a newer version of their professional body.

Right now its never been cheaper to buy the X-Pro1, with body prices around £500 cheaper than release, discounted lens prices and cash back from Fuji on body + lenses purchases (if bought new and together).

Its also worth remembering that the X100 doesn't use the x trans sensor but uses a 12.3MP standard sensor, the X100s does use an x trans as does the new X20, albeit the smaller 2/3rds size in the case of the X20.

A final point is that the X-Pro1 isn't a dslr and operates differently to one, its designed with manual use in mind more than anything else and is extremely good at what it does but it does need some knowledge of photography on the part of the user as though good in program, A or S, it really shines when you use manual.

I have had 2 gold effect soft shutter release buttons & they both dropped off & i lost them............i giving up with that idea now (although it felt much better with a bigger shutter button) I believe you can get some sort of adhesive to help keep them in but i not convinced i want to use that on my xpro1

The trick is to get a small 3mm x 1mm rubber O ring and place that on the threads of the soft release, then screw it in.. they don't come off then.

A portrait using the X-pro and old Pentax 50mm 1.7 mf lens
I've included a closup of the eye to show the detail
For those who would like a low cost portrait lens until the 56 1.4 comes out
Total cost including adaptor £64
eye_detail.jpg

I'm still impressed enough with the 60mm macro as a portrait lens while waiting for the 56/1.4. I took this one today, natural light througha cafe window (and slightly funky wallpaper which I could have done without). I was experimenting with the new Nik software suite so this a bit more processed than my usual look.

8600523773_cc9ed6989b_b.jpg

60mm still working well for me..

Candid, 50% crop as I had to hide the cigarette she had in her hands for her.

bcde7de4-876b-420e-b143-a8e6e9c9ce0b_zps402af54e.jpg

Does anyone do wedding photography with their x-pro? What are your best settings?

It should be noted that Fuji have changed the spec of the 56mm recently, it will now be an F1.2 instead of F1.4 and is due for release early 2014.

Does anyone do wedding photography with their x-pro? What are your best settings?

Now and again ;) I just whack it into B&W and shoot aperture priority or manual. The Fuji pixies pretty much sort stuff out for me.

This is the kind of stuff that tumbles out of the box.

fujibw.jpg

(That's actually a Fuji X-E1 - X-Pro 1 was shooting colour at the time)

Couple of shots taken with the 35mm(this lens is amazing sharp corner to corner) and the Fuji is so nice I've stopped almost using any additional retouching in Lightroom as the camera output is so appealing. I'm thinking of buying the 18-55 and if someone can tell me if it's worth it that would be great and how it compares to the 35mm:

StPaulsGardenView by PIPetrov, on Flickr

StPaulsTilted by PIPetrov, on Flickr

I have just taken delivery of an X-Pro1 with the 3 primes. Loving it so far, even though my percentage of keepers is pretty low so far! Thanks for the advice and the links to sites with tips, they have really helped.

As other people have said, the JPEG's are generally amazing. If I nail the exposure, I have found it hard to beat the JPEG's out of the camera, so I think I'll be shooting RAW+ JPEG and only processing when I need to.

On a sidenote, I found Lightroom's starting point pretty appalling, needing far more tweaking than those from my D800.

I ahev a couple of questions.

1. Will it work with Nikon flashes on manual? I don't want to fry the camera or the flashes trying.

2. Will my pocket wizards PlusII's work with it

3. The bracketing for film style doesn't seem to work on RAW+JPEG, is that right?

Here are a few pics, spot the JPEG's and the converted RAW's.

C&C welcome.

Has or is anyone getting the Fuji XF55-200mmF3.5-4.8 R LM OIS?? I really miss a zoom but not sure how it will preform?

Has or is anyone getting the Fuji XF55-200mmF3.5-4.8 R LM OIS?? I really miss a zoom but not sure how it will preform?

Mine should be here Thursday from WEX, had a bit of trouble finding one during the past week. Got a busy weekend planned with it (albeit on the X-E1) so will see how it performs.

Mine should be here Thursday from WEX, had a bit of trouble finding one during the past week. Got a busy weekend planned with it (albeit on the X-E1) so will see how it performs.

I got the 55-200 last week. In a word. Wow!
Can't post at the moment but this lens is just the icing on the cake.

Couple of shots taken with the 35mm(this lens is amazing sharp corner to corner) and the Fuji is so nice I've stopped almost using any additional retouching in Lightroom as the camera output is so appealing. I'm thinking of buying the 18-55 and if someone can tell me if it's worth it that would be great and how it compares to the 35mm:

When I got the 18-55 I don't think it left my camera for a month. It's a great standard zoom.

Do you have any shots with the 55 - 200 lens that we can look at, please, Phil?

This is the lens that should make the x-pro all I need for walking in the mountains, as I do like the perspective of landscapes taken with a longer lens.

I had the equivalent Nikon set-up (D800, nikon 24-70 & 70-200, and 150mm Sigma macro plus tripod out last Sunday for 10 miles, it got a lot heavier as the day wore on!!)

Okay kids. Are you sitting comfortably.

I only had Sunday morning to give a decent outing (rather than just snaps) and even though I got up at 5am to catch the first light all the cloud cover stayed until 8am so not best conditions. However, on a big monitor the clarity is outstanding and seems to be consistent throughout the zoom range.

Blue, green, yellow by PCPhilpot, on Flickr

Okay kids. Are you sitting comfortably.

I only had Sunday morning to give a decent outing (rather than just snaps) and even though I got up at 5am to catch the first light all the cloud cover stayed until 8am so not best conditions. However, on a big monitor the clarity is outstanding and seems to be consistent throughout the zoom range.

Thanks Phil looks good. I can see a purchase coming up!

Thank you.

Love the shot with that zoom Phil, tempted too but trying to keep the Fuji setup light!

This is the first mega zoom I have owned since pre-digital. Everything I did was maxed at 90mm. But this is such a cool (sic) lens. I am thinking of 6 days in the highlands next week if the weather holds up and I had to have. HAD TO I TELLS EE!! (sorry :coat: )

Had the 55-200 delivered today, what a great lens, super sharp, great colour and contrast. Just finished a couple of hours shooting with it. Have a wedding to shoot tomorrow, with this and the 14mm. The Nikons will be staying in the bag.

Not sure I'd like to shoot a wedding with just a (very) wide angle lens and a telephoto, Nick, there's too much in my usual mid-range of focal lengths missing. Maybe a different story if you had the fantastic 35mm as well.

Good luck, and please let us see some results.

Hi David
It's not the first wedding I have shot with it, I have the14, 35,and the 18, having the 55-200 now saves me lugging a D3 and 70-200 vr around. At the end of the night my arms are usually hanging off. I still take the Nikons as backup, but apart from the occasional shots, the X pro copes well enough.

Today's wedding will be a good test for the 55-200. Will let you know how I got on.

Hi David
It's not the first wedding I have shot with it, I have the14, 35,and the 18, having the 55-200 now saves me lugging a D3 and 70-200 vr around. At the end of the night my arms are usually hanging off. I still take the Nikons as backup, but apart from the occasional shots, the X pro copes well enough.

Today's wedding will be a good test for the 55-200. Will let you know how I got on.

I'd love to see the results

Hi David

Sorry Nick, I understood from your earlier post that you were going to shoot a wedding using only the 14mm and the 55-200mm, you never mentioned the 18mm and 35mm!

The 35mm is just superb.(y)

Ditched my 5D Mark II setup and i've moved to an X Pro 1 as i'm going to be travelling alot, grabbed it with the 35mm for a great deal. Hugely impressed so far, what are opinions on the 18mm?

Back