The Official Fuji X10/X20/X30/XF1/XQ1 Thread

Might be worth trawling back through this thread and seeking out all the posts from people with the same problem. The more evidence you can supply that the fault in yours isn't an isolated case, the better your chances of a goodwill repair. Hopefully they'll come back to you with good news rather than an expected cost. Keep us informed! (Luckily, both mine are currently behaving themselves but I'm touching wood all the time!)

Good idea thanks. Good job my X10 is behaving, but the XF1 was so handy as it was just so pocketable. As I already mentioned, if the little XF1 really has had it, and is going to cost me. I will simply gain a spare battery for my X10 :)

Ah! Got you now!!!

11117-1429005178-6e86622287b990462e9050ae4c2cdf1c.jpg

11118-1429005216-181af5492652abbe4bcf4ef69f5c60a3.jpg

I took both the XF1 and the X10 out to the park today, did not manage to get much photos as I was pondering too much over the XF1. Ended up getting a quick couple of snaps of the little camera.

I filled in the form via the link I was sent, from someone at Fuji. This was regarding the Lens Control Error and over exposure faults the XF1 has developed, after only one year.

After I filled the form in, it says I will be charged a minimum fee of £85.00 for repair, as the camera is out of warranty.

I did explain the number of other users who have had the same fault happen to them. They must know already any how.

But it seems they are not interested!

Last edited:
The law actually says is goods must last a reasonable length of time – and if not, they’re faulty, and you have up to six years to bring a case about them being faulty. To work out what is a reasonable length of time, you have to simply imagine what a reasonable person would say was reasonable. To my mind its reasonable to expect a £150 camera work for more than 13 months.

Write a formal letter of complaint. Mention Sale of Goods Act. Camera not fit for purpose etc.

Well, you've asked nicely, now time to roll up the sleeves. Remind them of UK law and their responsibilities regarding material defects. Keep your communications calm and polite, but also precise and resolute.

You may also choose to mention that you will be updating the users of TP regarding your experiences with their service...

The law actually says is goods must last a reasonable length of time – and if not, they’re faulty, and you have up to six years to bring a case about them being faulty. To work out what is a reasonable length of time, you have to simply imagine what a reasonable person would say was reasonable. To my mind its reasonable to expect a £150 camera work for more than 13 months.

Write a formal letter of complaint. Mention Sale of Goods Act. Camera not fit for purpose etc.

Already written the above to them, but so far they have not replied.

Bought the camera on the 24/03/14 and it failed on the 11/04/15 I paid £129.99 from Currys. So maybe a shade over a year is about right then, for a cheapo camera :thinking:

Well, you've asked nicely, now time to roll up the sleeves. Remind them of UK law and their responsibilities regarding material defects. Keep your communications calm and polite, but also precise and resolute.

You may also choose to mention that you will be updating the users of TP regarding your experiences with their service...

I will have a read around and send them another message, and I will see if they reply to me or not. Not replied to my last post about repairs they should undertake at their cost.

Already written the above to them, but so far they have not replied.

Bought the camera on the 24/03/14 and it failed on the 11/04/15 I paid £129.99 from Currys. So maybe a shade over a year is about right then, for a cheapo camera :thinking:

It's not a cheapo camera though, just happens that you got it at a good price. I'd certainly invest the time for a few letters to get it sorted.

Back in 2008 I bought a LCD TV from Comet. In 2011 it started displaying a fault which when I investigated I found a few reports on the internet describing the same. After 4 emails direct to the manufacturer I returned the TV to Comet who transferred the full value I originally payed towards a brand new TV. For an extra £50 I had 3D and Smart functions. Well worth the effort IMO.

It's not a cheapo camera though, just happens that you got it at a good price. I'd certainly invest the time for a few letters to get it sorted.

Back in 2008 I bought a LCD TV from Comet. In 2011 it started displaying a fault which when I investigated I found a few reports on the internet describing the same. After 4 emails direct to the manufacturer I returned the TV to Comet who transferred the full value I originally payed towards a brand new TV. For an extra £50 I had 3D and Smart functions. Well worth the effort IMO.

I have sent a good few off, just done another one a moment ago. Had a good few automated replies, and Only had one response that was from a human, and that simply directed me to a link to a form to fill out!

My X30 just turned up! :)

I don't think it came with the right charger though... It has the AC power adapter and the plug adapter but i can't figure out how to connect the two. Doesn't look like they are designed to go together!! Any suggestions?

Mine didn't come with a charger, just a USB plug/adaptor and lead - that's how it charges (unlike the other baby Xs which share a battery and charger.) The battery can be removed and charged in a universal charger or indeed an aftermarket dedicated one. Personally, I use the USB method for mine.

Mine didn't come with a charger, just a USB plug/adaptor and lead - that's how it charges (unlike the other baby Xs which share a battery and charger.) The battery can be removed and charged in a universal charger or indeed an aftermarket dedicated one. Personally, I use the USB method for mine.

Can you just charge it through any plug that takes a usb cable then? Like an ipod or phone charger?

John, given the number of people who have reported the same problem, it has to be worth contacting Fuji about that issue, The worst they can do is say "Tough" and they may well do the necessary work FoC - got to be worth an e-mail!

I agree, worth a try.

I had the issue with my one but was luck it was in warranty.

@Chris Fallon I wasn't sure about this; real camera don't charge from USB.
But actually the battery life means I don't charge very often and the convenience of using the same lead as my phone, torch, etc is brilliant.

I bought an external battery charger from eBay with spare batteries.
At this time, I've never used them...

@Chris Fallon I wasn't sure about this; real camera don't charge from USB.
But actually the battery life means I don't charge very often and the convenience of using the same lead as my phone, torch, etc is brilliant.

I bought an external battery charger from eBay with spare batteries.
At this time, I've never used them...

Thanks for the reply Duncan. I had arranged to post the camera back to where I bought it as they said they will replace it. I'm thinking may just use my phone charger and like you, buy a seperate one on ebay. Don't suppose you have a link to hand for a charger?

Chris, as others have said, Yes! Any USB charger will do the job and leads are ten-a-penny these days if you forget/lose yours!
I have a universal charger that lives "Out" and does almost all my charging these days, apart from the EN-EL15s for the Nikons. Way cheaper than an official Fuji one and does far more! It even has a USB socket for devices that need that and also 2 slots for AA or AAA cells. The one I have is a Hahnel UniPal plus and it works a treat!

Heres one from the little XF-1 (still going strong), taken just outside Venlo, Netherlands yesterday morning.

16973180468_50193d1fda_c.jpg
Glad yours is still going strong. Mine refuses to do anything past 35mm. It's now adamant it wants to be a wide angle camera lol

Glad yours is still going strong. Mine refuses to do anything past 35mm. It's now adamant it wants to be a wide angle camera lol

Nothing wrong with a bit of wide angle goodness :D That shot was taken at 25.6 mm according to the exif on Flickr...

Last edited:
Maybe if I wrap mine up and dont use it...then wait until its officially announced as extinct, I could make a packet selling it on ebay (y)

Ladies and Gentlemen, you are bidding on the last known living Fuji XF-1....

You're assuming it won't perish whilst in hibernation. These things have a deathwish...

I suppose I could wake it up occasionally to tell it I love it, in the hope it wont go all 'Camera lemming' on me :)

Do you express love by wrapping something in bubblewrap and shoving it in a dark closet?

Well, some people do, I guess. Takes all sorts. ;)

I got my XF1 last June and had the lens fixed in November. It has been working OK but sometimes can be a bit temperamental. I also think since the lens got changed the results have been a bit different. Could be psychological though!

@Llamaman a big jump from XF1 to LX100? Considered anything else? I keep jumping between wanting an RX100 M3 / A6000 / Ricoh GR / Lumix GM5 / LX100 / Fuji X30 for my small portable walkabout family camera.

I'm a strange one. I initially had a DSLR and got a GF2 as a second camera. Got the hump with DSLR bulk so sold it and upgraded the GF2 to an EM5.
Then I got the hump with the bulk of the EM5 for family days out so got the XF1.
Am thinking the LX100 will be my only camera - small enough to bung in a manbag/coat pocket, but the same flexibility as my EM5 and 12-40.

So yes, it needs to be a step up from the XF1 as it'll be my main camera!

My missus made a lovely Camera case for the little XF1. It went in the case when it was taken out, when not in use it went back in its box safely put away in the cupboard. Yet it still let me down.

I will continue to use it at the 25 / 35 mm length. When it's completely zonked out, I will ditch the body and keep the battery as hand me up to its bigger brother. ( I also have the X10 )

My XF1 is still going strong.

That said - I'd be worried if wasn't given it's spent 99% of it's life in a drawer.

I've actually got it charging just now as I'm going to start taking it out on casual days when I wouldn't bother taking a DSLR.

I'm a strange one. I initially had a DSLR and got a GF2 as a second camera. Got the hump with DSLR bulk so sold it and upgraded the GF2 to an EM5.
Then I got the hump with the bulk of the EM5 for family days out so got the XF1.
Am thinking the LX100 will be my only camera - small enough to bung in a manbag/coat pocket, but the same flexibility as my EM5 and 12-40.

So yes, it needs to be a step up from the XF1 as it'll be my main camera!

So you will be selling the 25 1.4 after all, yes ? :whistle:

Patience! :p

I'll keep both LX and ILC for a while to make sure I'm happy with the LX100 then sell the 12-40.
I haven't quite decided to do with the rest - I'm tempted to keep some MFT kit for special occasions flexibility - probably the 40-150 and maybe the 25. The 14-150 would be redundant and sold, the 12-50 I've never used and only kept to keep as a kit for the body, and whilst I love the 45 I can't justify keeping it for the odd portrait when the LX100 is still pretty fast at 40mm. I'd down trade the em5 to a smaller body - EPM, GF or GM.

The LX100 would be my goto camera for almost all occasions, and I'd only bring the longer option out as required (zoo trips?).
Although that sounds absurdly extravagant - maybe I'd just flog all the ILC stuff and stop having all the gear and no idea. :)

Back