The Official Fuji X10/X20/X30/XF1/XQ1 Thread

Interesting reading your post John, I have an XF-1 bought refurbed in 2013 which is now drastically underexposing shots in its EXR and auto modes. Previously it was a cracking camera and I loved using it as my pocket everyday carry cam for work and fun. Like you I have been quoted £85 for the repair and don't feel its worth it really, pity as I will miss it, is it a known issue with the XF-1? The upgrade options offered on the fuji repair site also do not seem massively good value.
What to replace it with though is the question. I am not interested in an interchangeable lens camera (have the full D700 and lenses for that). I appreciated the pockeatbility of the little XF-1 but do fancy an upgrade to one of the metal bodied cameras!

I would not recommend paying the £85 or so fee, and why should we? It was a well known fault that they obviously knew about! Its a shame really, as fuji images are rather good, when the camera works that is! Put the money towards another camera, that's what I am doing. Besides whose to say the fault wont re occur after repair?

Mine has properly spat the dummy this afternoon giving green / magenta images at the 100mm end of the zoom. I have e-mailed fuji tech support but my breath isn't held. I know pockeatbility is important and I like the Rx100 (my mate has a v2 model and loves it) and who knows I may end up there yet but I keep coming back to the X30. Problem with that is I think "well if I am going x30 then maybe x100 would be worth the extra" I know its a bigger cam but I loved the functionality of the fuji in point and shoot, the processing and low light capabilities were great. I also loved the manual mode and the ability to be creative. Loss of a zoom probably wont bother me that much. Are you like me in the xq1/2 just not doing it for you?

11062-1428589208-d298fb6fcdd2dcd243fbcfe2625cc854.jpg

My first experience of the XF1 failing was, it started to over expose very badly, then I started to get images like the one above. Then the image started to wobble, and the Lens Control Error flashed up. My XF1 is now useless !

My affair with the lovely looking little camera, was very short indeed :(

11062-1428589208-d298fb6fcdd2dcd243fbcfe2625cc854.jpg

My first experience of the XF1 failing was, it started to over expose very badly, then I started to get images like the one above. Then the image started to wobble, and the Lens Control Error flashed up. My XF1 is now useless !

My affair with the lovely looking little camera, was very short indeed :(
I had 2 years out of mine as a refurb which isn't great but I can live with it I suppose. Trying desperately not to buy a x100 now.....

I had 2 years out of mine as a refurb which isn't great but I can live with it I suppose. Trying desperately not to buy a x100 now.....
Must admit, I really did want another Fuji. Just love the images from them, but the two I have owned had problems! I still use my X10 even though it has a faulty sensor ( white orb issues ) I just try to avoid taking photos of shiny objects etc.

Must admit, I really did want another Fuji. Just love the images from them, but the two I have owned had problems! I still use my X10 even though it has a faulty sensor ( white orb issues ) I just try to avoid taking photos of shiny objects etc.

They were very good about changing the sensor, and I haven't had any orb problems with my X10 since the change. Shame you've got one that didn't get done, but in the end I think Fuji did respond well to that particular issue. The story with the XF-1 does not sound so happy however. I do hope they are working on something; typically they won't say a thing (if they are) util it's announced. If I had a broken one, I think I'd hang on to it... and write a few emails and letters to various big honchos at Fuji, etc....

Mine has properly spat the dummy this afternoon giving green / magenta images at the 100mm end of the zoom. I have e-mailed fuji tech support but my breath isn't held. I know pockeatbility is important and I like the Rx100 (my mate has a v2 model and loves it) and who knows I may end up there yet but I keep coming back to the X30. Problem with that is I think "well if I am going x30 then maybe x100 would be worth the extra" I know its a bigger cam but I loved the functionality of the fuji in point and shoot, the processing and low light capabilities were great. I also loved the manual mode and the ability to be creative. Loss of a zoom probably wont bother me that much. Are you like me in the xq1/2 just not doing it for you?

I had the green / magenta issues which was the first sign that alerted me that I had an issue thanks to reading this thread. Fuji luckily fixed the issue within warranty. Haven't had the issue since but had other various niggles which are unlikely to be fixed. I have until end of May to get them sorted but unsure how they will address this as they have already changed the sensor.

As for a new camera the XQ1/2 are not really doing it for me either. The XQ1 is at a good price on the refurb store but I don't think it a major upgrade to what I already have. Like you I keep looking at the X30 but wonder if the X100S/T would be a better buy seeing as it has the larger sensor and again decent price on the refurb store. The rumoured RX100 M4 is another contender but maybe the RX100 M3 will be at a better price post announcement. I also looked at the Lumix GM5 to make use of some of the M43 lenses I have but ultimately I am indecisive on pulling the trigger. All I want is a small high quality camera for capturing the daily adventures of my one year old and leave my bigger DSLR kit for more staged stuff.

Last edited:
I had the green / magenta issues which was the first sign that alerted me that I had an issue thanks to reading this thread. Fuji luckily fixed the issue within warranty. Haven't had the issue since but had other various niggles which are unlikely to be fixed. I have until end of May to get them sorted but unsure how they will address this as they have already changed the sensor.

As for a new camera the XQ1/2 are not really doing it for me either. The XQ1 is at a good price on the refurb store but I don't think it a major upgrade to what I already have. Like you I keep looking at the X30 but wonder if the X100S/T would be a better buy seeing as it has the larger sensor and again decent price on the refurb store. The rumoured RX100 M4 is another contender but maybe the RX100 M3 will be at a better price post announcement. I also looked at the Lumix GM5 to make use of some of the M43 lenses I have but ultimately I am indecisive on pulling the trigger. All I want is a small high quality camera for capturing the daily adventures of my one year old and leave my bigger DSLR kit for more staged stuff.

I was in the same boat as you a few weeks ago. I have my DSLR but its not practical to take it everywhere so I bought an X30. Cracking little camera. Very impressed so far! :D

Choice of X30 vs X100 surely comes down to whether a good, fastish zoom with good IQ is more important than a superb fixed 35mm lens with excellent IQ?

As said many time in this thread - nowt wrong with the IQ on the X30.
I've just finished printing and mounting images that have been accepted into cave photography competition and one of them was taken with my X30; nobody will be able to tell it wasn't the big camera.
Only reason more of them weren't taken with the X30 is I needed a significantly wider lens than 28mm and I don't like the wide angle adapters.

They were very good about changing the sensor, and I haven't had any orb problems with my X10 since the change. Shame you've got one that didn't get done, but in the end I think Fuji did respond well to that particular issue. The story with the XF-1 does not sound so happy however. I do hope they are working on something; typically they won't say a thing (if they are) util it's announced. If I had a broken one, I think I'd hang on to it... and write a few emails and letters to various big honchos at Fuji, etc....

I cant use the XF1 as its faulty, I have put it back in its box and put it away. Probably take it back out of its box at some point in the future, and admire its lovely sleek retro design, while shaking my head at the sturdiness of its inner workings...

Choice of X30 vs X100 surely comes down to whether a good, fastish zoom with good IQ is more important than a superb fixed 35mm lens with excellent IQ?
Yup I am very much looking to move on and see the x100t as a thing of beauty!
And the good news is I have 2x genuine np-50 fuji batteries now going begging for someone!

Last edited:
Must admit I did have a quick look at the XQ1 or is the XQ2 the current model? But anyway I was only looking and for a moment, ! was admiring its sleek design. But would I really trust it going for another one o_O

Must admit I did have a quick look at the XQ1 or is the XQ2 the current model? But anyway I was only looking and for a moment, ! was admiring its sleek design. But would I really trust it going for another one o_O

The only differences from what I read between the XQ1 and XQ2 is that XQ2 comes with Classic Chrome and Face Detection Focus... wasn't enough of a step up for me to justify the price difference between the x2... (y)

The only differences from what I read between the XQ1 and XQ2 is that XQ2 comes with Classic Chrome and Face Detection Focus... wasn't enough of a step up for me to justify the price difference between the x2... (y)
Must admit, I really do like the Classic Chrome look. Very similar to the Xf1

Its all down to personal preferences at the end of the day - I've got the X100T as my main camera and the primary film selection I choose is Astia... I have 4 other presets setup on there, none of which are Classic Chrome...

I know its got a big following though :D

So my x20 arrived yesterday! Smaller than I'd imagined. What NR & Sharpening settings are a happy medium? I'm inclined to drop them a couple and sharpen in post?

Had a play with an x30 in jessops yesterday, gorgeous camera. Almost tempted me!

Keep a look out here and grab a bargain when in stock. There is a code floating about to get a further discount on the refurb price.

I was looking for a second body to go with my Oly OMD EM5. Had a GM1 that has stopped working and have a full refund from the store as they don't have another in stock. Liked the gm1, but found it a pain going back and former between cameras with different controls, so may end up getting a second EM5 (down to 350 body only now, 430 with grip). But you know what its like when you have money in your pocket to buy a camera, they all look so shiny!

There is an x30 on amazon used for £299 at the moment.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B00N2X804A/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

I was looking for a second body to go with my Oly OMD EM5. Had a GM1 that has stopped working and have a full refund from the store as they don't have another in stock. Liked the gm1, but found it a pain going back and former between cameras with different controls, so may end up getting a second EM5 (down to 350 body only now, 430 with grip). But you know what its like when you have money in your pocket to buy a camera, they all look so shiny!

There is an x30 on amazon used for £299 at the moment.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B00N2X804A/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

Thanks for the link. I am debating on selling up the XF1, Lumix G3, P20 and a few other lenses to fund a new toy!

So my x20 arrived yesterday! Smaller than I'd imagined. What NR & Sharpening settings are a happy medium? I'm inclined to drop them a couple and sharpen in post?

I'm sure you do know, but it's only applicable if you shoot jpeg. (y)

I was lucky enough to flog both my xf1's to members here before they failed... Then bought an X-T1. :D

Looks like they're could be a few XF1s coming up for sale then... I'm liking the LX100 so far so might try and offload the Fuji whilst it's still working!

I'm about to put my XF1 in the classifieds :)

I'm sure you do know, but it's only applicable if you shoot jpeg. (y)

I was lucky enough to flog both my xf1's to members here before they failed... Then bought an X-T1. :D
Yeah that's cool, just want a good balance on my jpegs [will also shoot RAW] :)

I shoot both RAW and Jpeg - the quality that comes from the jpegs is superb though and bar a occasional push of exposure and contrast there's normally very little I need to do with them (y)

Good move for the seller, but not the buyer lol
Haha - caveat emptor and all that. Although, one might say that one that has already broken and been repaired is a better bet than one that hasn't broken...yet. There seems to be a pretty high mortality rate on these little ones.
I have no idea if Fuji have actually resolved the issue or not - they are being very cagey about it and refuse to admit there's a problem. I've been tempted to do a straw poll!

Haha - caveat emptor and all that. Although, one might say that one that has already broken and been repaired is a better bet than one that hasn't broken...yet. There seems to be a pretty high mortality rate on these little ones.
I have no idea if Fuji have actually resolved the issue or not - they are being very cagey about it and refuse to admit there's a problem. I've been tempted to do a straw poll!
Fujifilm UK wrote to me yesterday, and said they would accept my XF1 back for repair even though it was a few weeks out of warranty. They said that they will not guarantee a free repair until they have carried out a full engineers report.

But I have to pay postage both ways , and how to I know somebody may accidentally drop it, and say it's suffered impact damage etc?

Can't be ars*d now anyway. Thinking what I will get to replace the XF1 with now?

Back