The Official Fuji X10/X20/X30/XF1/XQ1 Thread

Cheers Duncan. Odd thing is there was a really 'great' sunset later that produced so-so pictures.

Good link. I hadn't thought of continuous shooting. It might help in some action situations. Will give it a try.

Dave - I dig the shot. Post more!!!

Duncan - thanks for sharing the link. Common sense stuff but Dan has a way of packaging the ideas into a profound feeling article.

I was quite pleased with a few pics I got yesterday, but after seeing the latest works posted I'll risk showing just the one. :crying: Landscape isn't my forté, but the limited palette and the light appealed to me.

Very nice, Dave - pike fishing outing was it?

You can't beat 'watery' scenes, and this reminded me of photos I attempted on reversal film in my carp fishing days in the 60s. I was partly successful with evening twilight shots, but never managed to capture pre-dawn scenes at carp ponds; a time when Richard Walker was "lost in a quiet world of green and grey and gold" - that would make a wonderful "limited palette'' shot, doomed never to be recorded by my camera, given my sleep habits these days!

Pete

Thanks chaps.

No Pete, chasing (possibly mythical) roach again. Frost arrived here today, so maybe pike on the horizon for the weekend.

Anglers do get to experience some remarkable light conditions given the hours and weather they go out in. Long periods of inactivity also encourage contemplation of the surroundings - and picture taking!

This is a panorama from earlier in the year when pike fishing. Doesn't really do the sky justice though.

This is an 'enhanced' shot I took looking across a different stretch of the drain.

Wow - great atmosphere and mood to both those shots. Quite the nature hobby sitting around fishing. When I was younger I was in national comps with DAM Dorking but as women, rather than banks, started to take up more time I found my course fishing hobby fazed out. I still fly fish and sea fish - basically anything that I can catch and eat is game.

Dave your sky/water in post 4880 is so good - just my type of thing :clap:

Your latest post with the 'enhanced' shot is intriguing - in what way is it enhanced :thinking: .

Asa - like your Cornwall shots especially the coloured one (y)

I spent about ten years of my life driving all over Cornwall twice each week but was too busy to even thinking about stopping or taking my camera along. Seen it but NOT captured it - a shame :shake:

Dave your sky/water in post 4880 is so good - just my type of thing :clap:

Your latest post with the 'enhanced' shot is intriguing - in what way is it enhanced :thinking: .

Ta.

A quick check back in Lightroom and the enhancements were a neutral grad on the sky and some contrast/blacks slider adjustment and a touch to the clarity slider. Basic stuff to darken the sky somewhat to increase the contrast and make it more how I 'saw' the scene.

Wow - great atmosphere and mood to both those shots. Quite the nature hobby sitting around fishing. When I was younger I was in national comps with DAM Dorking but as women, rather than banks, started to take up more time I found my course fishing hobby fazed out. I still fly fish and sea fish - basically anything that I can catch and eat is game.

Thanks.

I know a lot of anglers who are into photography. A couple of them have given up the fishing altogether and jumped into wildlife photography in a big way, and got rather good at it.

Ah, another angler then, but I didn't expect it to be you Martyn! Like most kids, I started with coarse fishing, and it remains my first love, but fly fishing for trout has occupied far more of my life.

I hope the sequence below - not taken with an X10, but by my friend (the one on the bridge a week or two ago) last year - will be overlooked by Yvonne on the slender excuse that it will encourage more 'action' photos with the 'right' camera! I do expect to be drummed out though.

A tiny AFTM 2 rod was thrust into my hands, and I was told to get on with catching this grayling (upstream Sawyer nymph) from the beautiful little R. Wylye, a chalkstream in Wiltshire:

IMG_1913 by wylyeangler, on Flickr

IMG_1914 by wylyeangler, on Flickr

IMG_1915 by wylyeangler, on Flickr

This grayling, like all my fish with the exception of reservoir trout, was returned alive to the water.

Pete

Last edited:
Well - you got half my number eh Pete ;-)

Never eaten a grayling, although been lucky enough to catch a few. They put up quite a fight in comparison to the equivalent sized trout.

Those shots are so peaceful. Makes me think of warm gentle hazy summer afternoons.

That looks a decent grayling Pete. I bet it was a tussle on a wand like that!

Martyn and Dave,

I thought I'd check out the state of the R.Brue for a spot of chub fishing this weekend, but realised the flooding on the Somerset levels was as bad as or worse than I've ever seen it. This is the view from the top of the Mendips after aborting my little trip - the flooded fields are to be seen most of the way from the Bristol Channel (out of shot to the right) to Glastonbury (out of shot left). I felt too cold to fiddle around with a panoramic shot:

DSCF0712 Adobe by wylyeangler, on Flickr

Grayling - yes they can give a lot of fun on light tackle. As you know, they lack the dash and sheer madness of a brownie, but in the 'push' of a chalkstream, they use that enormous sail-like dorsal fin to very good effect, and can be very difficult to move. The other trick which seems to be peculiar to grayling, is the ability to sort of 'cork screw' or revolve about their longitudinal axis whilst being played.

I've been lucky to have had access to grayling waters all my life, and have caught hundreds up to 2lb. 5oz. One myth - they do NOT have soft mouths: quite the opposite. Their well-known ability to shed hooks is down to the cartilage of the mouth being so tough, the points often don't penetrate fully in the first place.

I've not eaten grayling either - I just can't bring myself to kill such a beautiful wild creature. Irrational really: the trout in the river are all browns stocked as fry making them as good as wild.

I have another sequence of photos of yours truly catching winter grayling by long-trotting with maggots on the same, but ice-fringed, river; since they're not taken with an X10, I'd better not push my luck by posting!

Pete

I have another sequence of photos of yours truly catching winter grayling by long-trotting with maggots on the same, but ice-fringed, river; since they're not taken with an X10, I'd better not push my luck by posting!

I often go off piste myself; like describing the horrors of my recent Theater Royal evening.
But like you, I do try and include something relevant to the X10 - even if it at times the comment is rather tenuous!!!!! :D:D:D

I'm quite enjoying this fishing sideline - it's a bit of an eye opener!
I suspect there will be plenty of opportunities to get that ice fringed shot with the X10.
Can you explain why there are always anglers at Priddy Pool (the one everyone calls by that name, not the one that actually has that name located in Nine Barrows).
I believe they are catching Goldfish and are dedicated enough to clear weed from the pond so they can cast. The lead concentrations are too high for safe consumption, so it's purely about the catching.
It completely baffles me!

Can you explain why there are always anglers at Priddy Pool (the one everyone calls by that name, not the one that actually has that name located in Nine Barrows).
I believe they are catching Goldfish and are dedicated enough to clear weed from the pond so they can cast. The lead concentrations are too high for safe consumption, so it's purely about the catching.
It completely baffles me!

Golly, Duncan, how nice to find someone else who knows that the real "Priddy Pool" - all but completely silted up now - is by the side of Nine Barrows Lane! The one we all misname is, I believe, officially the "Waldegrave Pool".

Steve, the friend and subject of recent photos, will fish anywhere. He pays enormous sums for his rod on the Wylye (I am merely an impecunious guest - great system), but is not above a bit of free fishing on "Priddy Pool"! He was there only a few weeks ago, and caught more than 50 crucian carp (a small carp species in decline in Britain as a whole). The place seems to be packed with 'em, and given reasonable float fishing skill, are easy to catch. There are quite a few goldfish too, and also lovely-looking fish that are clearly hybrids between those and the crucians. I understand there a few bigger 'wild' carp or commons that rarely get landed, owing to their ability to 'break' the commonly used light tackle. Sometimes, small tench turn up - oh, and of course, the inevitable tiny rudd. The fish are generally stunted, but fun - the weed, as you indicate, becoming a problem in recent years.

I have been skating the pool every year it has been possible since I was a young man: in recent times, it has been possible to see the goldfish especially under the black ice beneath one's skates. I'm not sure I'll 'get on' this winter if it freezes - last January I didn't fall, but for the first time in my life, felt distinctly unsafe. In this my 70th year, I feel that 'discretion might be the better part of valour'!

By the way, the pool between the Waldegrave (oh, all right, "Priddy") and the caving centre (dunno whether it's got a name) holds pike, and a few years ago I saw an angler hook and lose one on deadbait there.

It would be very rare indeed for a coarse fish angler to retain and/or eat his fish; contamination not being an issue - for them it is exclusively about the catching (me included). I have only eaten perch, pike, and freshwater eels, each of which is delicious if treated the right way. I do eat trout occasionally, but like most who fish for 'em, give 'em away in their dozens! I have yet to taste grayling which I'm told makes good eating - after all, they are a coarse fish in name only. The adipose fin gives the 'game' away.

Pete

Last edited:
Are they true crucians, Pete? Rare as hens' teeth these days.

I thought this was one until I took my rose tinted specs off and realised it was a brown goldfish. Game little beggar nonetheless.

DSCF4232.jpg

Yes, it was shot with the X10.:D

Are they true crucians, Pete? Rare as hens' teeth these days. I thought this was one until I took my rose tinted specs off and realised it was a brown goldfish. Game little beggar nonetheless.Yes, it was shot with the X10.:D

Thank goodness someone is keeping us all legitimate by actually taking a picture of a fish with an X10!

You're right to be sceptical, Dave. I first caught 'crucians' in a small pond near Bristol in the '50s - everyone said they were, and I was just a kid. Most were around 8oz to 12oz (suspicious!), and it wasn't unusual to get fish well over a pound. They looked more like fat little commons, having more of a forked tail than they should, but there were definitely no barbules - very much like an enlarged version of what is in your shot.

I am 'Priddy' sure, that most of 'our' fish are true crucians: they seem to have the right physical characteristics (caudal fin not forked and no barbules) and very much darker than the fish in your picture. Colour could be down to environmental factors though. Clearly there are hybrids here too. Steve gets the odd bigger one, but most are about the size in your hand - fun for the very occasional afternoon when there's nothing better to do.

I have seen no explanation of why the crucian is in decline in Britain, and therefore cannot come up with any reason why they are so prolific here. My father used to catch netfuls of 'em in the '60s and '70s in a water called "Hunstrete Lake" near here ("Lackey's Leap" in works by Richard Walker), but sadly they have disappeared in line with those in the rest of the country.

We've had a couple of frosts and so they're probably not catchable now, but if I remember, I'll post a shot of our 'crucians' (with the X10, of course) when I get the chance.

Pete

There are people sticking up for the true crucian, Pete. http://www.crucians.org/

Thanks very much for this, Dave. I'm not sure about that fish in the photo third from the left - too much like I used to catch as a kid. Look at the caudal fin!

Don't quite understand the beef about only using "crucian" as its name to avoid confusion - everyone has always recognised it as a separate species; it was just correct identification that could be tricky, and still is!

Pete

The fin could just look that way because of how it's scrunched up. I'm not sure the name matters though. After all we talk about grass carp quite happily, and they look more like chub than carp!

The fin could just look that way because of how it's scrunched up. I'm not sure the name matters though. After all we talk about grass carp quite happily, and they look more like chub than carp!

Dave, you must be a mind-reader! I was just thinking about grass carp.

A dozen years ago, I was visiting my nephew who was working in Geneva: could I show him how to fish his private bit of the shore of the lake? Well, I didn't have a clue really - didn't know what was in there or how to fish for 'em even if I did. So I set him up with light leger tackle and crust (well, bread is bound to be on the menu for some fish).

He caught a fish about 3 1/2 lb. that I identified as a 'chub' having caught hundreds, if not thousands, in my time: its rather strange colouring I put down to 'environmental factors'. Only in the last few years, and with the help of the internet have I realised what it really was, and felt a bit shame-faced!

(It was on that visit I first tasted freshwater perch.)

Pete

Last edited:
Wow Andy - what a great set :clap:

PP is very good.

I'm especially drawn to 5 and 6. I have a real soft spot for Cornwall but never visited in the winter.

Great rainbow composition as well!

I'm liking the small waterfall and the rainbow. :)

Some great images on here, I can't get over how good this little camera is, I've yet to try mine in anger.

I took it out last night to try out the EXR AUTO mode in the dark

1. Settings: 1/20 - ƒ/2.0 - ISO 3200 - 7.1 mm

2. Settings: 1/30 - ƒ/2.0 - ISO 1000 - 7.1 mm

3. Settings: 1/7 - ƒ/2.0 - ISO 1600 - 7.1 mm

I know #3's blown but the sky has exposed really well.

Andy, your whole Kernow set is lovely!

Billy, skies in one and 3 are great; how the camera got the street AND the sky in number 1 I've no idea!

Billy, skies in one and 3 are great; how the camera got the street AND the sky in number 1 I've no idea!

The 3 images were all done in Auto EXR mode, it's a very good mode but the problem is you have no control over the settings, I'm going to have a play in aperture priority next time then I can control my own setting, but I don't think I'll be able to get anything as good as the EXR auto shots.

DSCF6014Small.jpg

DSCF5945Small.jpg

DSCF5946Small.jpg

DSCF5954Small.jpg

few random photos around Manchester yesterday evening hand hand held, aperture priority

Daz

Great images Daz,
I'm hoping to go on Sunday, hopefuly I'll still be there when it goes dark but it's up to her-in-doors as it's a Oh I know I'll take you to Manchester on Sunday Christmas shopping.

Little does she know it's a outing for my new X10.

Just wondered if anyone has found any filter systems for the X10? I would really like to get my hands on a set of NDs

there has been loads of talk about this Blank Canvas, take a look through the posts

Daz

Been trying to get to grips with the panoramic exposure........
Any ideas about getting it better ?

Doesn't look like you need any to me! (y)

If I may ask a very simple basic question, can it take an extra lens for macro shots, as in is there a thread to permit it?

PH

Last edited:
Just wondered if anyone has found any filter systems for the X10? I would really like to get my hands on a set of NDs

If I may ask a very simple basic question, can it take an extra lens for macro shots, as in is there a thread to permit it?

PH

It has a 40.5mm filter thread, I and many others have bought a 40-49mm step-up adapter to allow the use of standard (and very cheap) 49mm filters. This also allows the use of an infrared filter 720nm which is great as the sensor is also able to capture IR.

As for the macro, the camera already has a macro and super macro facility built in, but if you purchase a filter step-up adapter then you would be able to use 49mm close up lenses to give you a bit more versatility (super macro only works with the lens at its shortest setting and this does not give you a lot of working room to your subject).

Excellent.

Many many thanks for that, I have been pricing and it is available for under £300 now, so I can afford the converter and macro lens as well.

The bees are in for a shock...lol

Might you or anyone suggest a reasonable lens for the macro aspect please? Also can I ask where to get the adaptor as I see there was considerable difficulties with the thread when the camera launched?

PH

Last edited:
Back