The Official Fuji X10/X20/X30/XF1/XQ1 Thread

Thats a very nice panoramic shot AESamuel. I like it!

Thanks David :)

I was looking at your xf1 set you have some great wild life picture in there!

I'm guessing you mean my X-E1 set? Thanks a lot, animal photography is some of my favourite to take so its great to hear positive feedback!

In regards to Velvia setting and RAW files: The preview JPEG that is embedded in the RAW file will have Velvia applied - hence why it will look different in the camera - but a RAW file will always be a RAW file and has no edits done to it :)

Cheers,
Asa

Been a while since I've posted into this thread; great to see it alive and healthy.
I haven't yet replaced my X10 and it's still delivering lovely images. It'll be interesting to see what the rumoured X30 adds to the mix.
The only thing that isn't working on my X10 is the rotating dial on the back plate, way too stiff to use; but repeated use in salt spray environments will do that to a camera :)

Anyway - here's some I took last night.
Taking advantage of all the standing water and some photogenic clouds.

1)
20140119-165108-DSCF2159-M.jpg

2)
20140119-170507-DSCF2179-M.jpg

3)
20140119-172106-DSCF2217-M.jpg

4)
20140119-172642-DSCF2230-M.jpg

5)
20140119-173616-DSCF2249-M.jpg

6)
20140119-174925-DSCF2268-M.jpg

Duncan my friend! Great shots - 4 and 5 my personal favorites. Your style so consistent.

Been a while since I've posted into this thread; great to see it alive and healthy.

LOL - it's been so long for me (coming up for a year since my last post) I was totally confused when I returned to post on the now, decommissioned, X10 thread. Looks like I even missed the chance to share a parting photo on that thread!

I'm still with the X10 and continue to stick with what I said a few years back - the little beauty was built to be a long timer - a cult piece.

But...The new Fuji film X-E2 is looking a bit special ;-)

Last edited:
Duncan my friend! Great shots - 4 and 5 my personal favorites. Your style so consistent.
Thanks Souldeep :beer:
Recently I've been abusing my large cameras and going through a phase of wide aperture primes.
Hence the poor little X10 has been a bit neglected.
I'd almost forgotten just how capable it is; these landscapes are plenty good enough to print to A3 and I don't think those A3 prints would be improved by taking them on the big camera.
Most of these shots have a low POV that meant Live View would have been a must, and the big camera would really have been struggling for depth of field, so would have needed either a tripod or the tilt/shift lens. Either way is a load of hassle and heavy kit; the X10 just happened to be in my pocket :D
Yup - the X10 is still a blimmin good camera !

Recently I've been abusing my large cameras and going through a phase of wide aperture primes.

Interesting - One of your main photographic tastes has concentrated around landscape. Can I ask what took you into the phase of experimenting with wide aperture primes (In my mind used for shallow DOF)?

Interesting - One of your main photographic tastes has concentrated around landscape. Can I ask what took you into the phase of experimenting with wide aperture primes (In my mind used for shallow DOF)?
Certainly :)
I've recently been shooting events far more than landscapes; plenty of festivals, theatre and community events plus an occasional wedding.
These frequently involve candid subjects with moving people in poor light, focussing is often a challenge, even with the big camera
The X10 is way out of it's depth and badly struggles with focus.
Plus I like the cinematic look that shallow DoF gives :)

As an experiment I shot an entire festival with just a 300mm prime and an 8-15 fisheye; looking at the gallery thumbnails my images stand out - which is what I was hoping for :)
Here's an example gallery with work by several photograhers, you should easily be able to see what I mean - http://www.priddyfolk.org/cpg/thumbnails.php?album=9

I've not upgraded the X10 because I'm frequently pushing the abilities of the 5DIII and although the X20 would be loads better, it would still be no match for the 5DIII and a decent prime.
However, I've usually got the X10 close at hand, just in case - and I know it'll do me proud.

Edited to add...
The X10's portability would sometimes be far more appropriate!
Here's a piccy of me descending a huge slide trying to protect the 5DII and 8-15 fisheye. http://www.priddyfolk.org/cpg/displayimage.php?album=9&pid=951#top_display_media
In the filmstrip at the bottom of that page you can see some images I took while I was up there.
This summer I also ended up going down a zip-wire with the 5DIII hand-held (no backpack).
As they say - don't try this at home....

Last edited:
Duncan - a great explanation with a wonderful set of photos as examples to your point. This picture for example is a real good example of shooting wide http://www.priddyfolk.org/cpg/displayimage.php?album=9&pid=938#top_display_media

Co-incidentally it's why I've returned to the forum... I created this effect by switching my X10 into macro mode and zooming the lens... but I want the kind of razor thin shallow DOF that means I can shoot a face at 10 foot with only an eye in focus and the nose out of focus. Taking that to the street is going to be one hell of a challenge but the X10 won't allow me to do that and I need a full sized sensor with a WIDE aperture to achieve the effect I want. Hence my mention of the X-E2 - it might just be the type of camera that will deliver what I want for street work... Super fast AF, still small in comparison to most DSLR's and ability to put attach serious lens like the Leica Summicron 90mm f2...

What d'ya reckon?

Yeah - but that's a 'real' 90mm at a 'real' f2 - u4/3 will give different results.
Same reason that the DoF is so good on the X10, even wide open at at f2 the DoF is superb (as long as you are looking for crisp sharp images).
The only way to get shallow DoF images on the X10 is at the long end of the lens, and the focal length is still only a 'real' 28mm!
For shallow depth of field you need either a massive aperture or long focal length - ideally you need both :)

Hmmm - for some reason I was under the assumption the X-E2 was full sensor! Oops.

Yep agree about the X10 - I didn't use the correct terminology above but my comment "I created this effect by switching my X10 into macro mode and zooming the lens..." was in relation to using the long end of the lens with a little extra help (in Macro mode). I like what I can do with the X10 like that - but I would really like more now - real razor thin SDOF (or the correct term I guess would be razor thin focal plane?).

Thanks for the link to the X-E2 article. Good simple read (y)

Last edited:
OK, two weird things.
Camera won't go beyond 4" in manual in auto iso. In fact I can get 15" max if I set ISO to manual 200 and 30" if set to manual 100 ISO. Is this normal?
Also noticed that the photometry (spot metering) option is greyed out in all modes bar C1 and C2. I've assigned it to one of the E-FN buttons and it's greyed out and you can't click it.
Any ideas?

It's so nearly great this camera. If it had independent AE and focus lock, for example...

Argh, FFS. If "Facial Detection" is turned on, the photometry options are greyed out. If it's turned OFF, all is normal. Looks like a bug...

I think that's normal for the camera. In Auto ISO 400, I can get 8" and 15" seems to be the max at 200. I can have spot metering in all PAS&M modes.

Edit since seeing the intervening post. Maybe (guessing!) face detection automatically meters for the face when it's detected?

Last edited:
Yeah I know when to use appropriate ISO (and I shoot raw so presumably DR doesn't produce an effect? Not sure tho!) but I just find it weird I can't set whatever exposure I want at whatever ISO in manual...can't really see why this would be by design.

The point about face detection might be valid I guess, if it not only focuses but meters on faces. Still irritating tho! I've turned it off now.

Yeah I know when to use appropriate ISO (and I shoot raw so presumably DR doesn't produce an effect? Not sure tho!) but I just find it weird I can't set whatever exposure I want at whatever ISO in manual...can't really see why this would be by design.

The point about face detection might be valid I guess, if it not only focuses but meters on faces. Still irritating tho! I've turned it off now.

I think most of us do turn face detection off, until it can read my mind I will leave it that way.
There is an independent button for AE lock I use it all the time and lock focus with a half press.

How do you lock AE and focus independently on the X-F1? I thought, but how I'm wrong, that both happened together with a half shutter press?

I think most of us do turn face detection off, until it can read my mind I will leave it that way.
There is an independent button for AE lock I use it all the time and lock focus with a half press.

Still not found an AE lock on the xf1...

Side by side comparison using LR4 for raw and jpg and I think jpg looks a lot better. Aside from color balance etc which is an easy task, the jpgs look cleaner, the in camera lens correction is good and they look less noisy SOOC than raw with LR NR applied. Anyone know if LR5 is any better?
Still love the quality coming out of this little camera...
Must get my head around the DR200/400 settings. They raise base iso when turned on.

For some reason I can not see beyond page 15. when I try nothing comes up
Do any Admins know if there is a BUG.

Just ordered a black xf1 from currys..should be here Tuesday! For 129 cant go wrong I am hoping lol

Other than a few quirks, I'm not sure anyone's got anything bad to say of the thing!

No it does seem like a real bargain!...did read a negative review on amazon regarding a fault but not heard it mentioned elsewhere yet,I put a link to it in my other thread

What cases are you all using for the xf1?..I like the fuji case but didnt really want to spend 30 odd quid for it.Any other recommendations?

I will see if they have it in stock when I collect the camera tomorrow..

I have Fuji cases for both mine. Match the cameras' coverings' finishes and colours perfectly and fit like gloves!

Just looked no offers at currys for the case and they want £31.99 for it.Hoping it will fit in a lowepro napoli I have sat in my bag.

I reckon it should fit..the napoli is a nice case,really soft leather and only cost me £6 off amazon

Back