The Official Fuji X10/X20/X30/XF1/XQ1 Thread

Seeing as I have had this camera since 24th December and failed to contribute a single photo to this thread I thought it about time!

Here goes..........

IMG11_DSCF0105-Edit.jpg

30th sec, F2, Iso1600

Other than a b&w conversion in LR thats it for processing. Seriously impressed with the IQ and the total lack of noise at iso1600!

2 gorgeous pics :) I love this cam so much!

Todays the day though, Fuji anounce their solution to the orb thing. I really hope there wont be a recall, im more than happy with it right now but youd feel forced to send it back , if you wanted to sell it in time to come then its resale would be 0 if it didnt have any "fix" applied to it.

2 gorgeous pics :) I love this cam so much!

Todays the day though, Fuji anounce their solution to the orb thing. I really hope there wont be a recall, im more than happy with it right now but youd feel forced to send it back , if you wanted to sell it in time to come then its resale would be 0 if it didnt have any "fix" applied to it.

I'd forgotten today was the day.....
fingers crossed for something we are happy with :)

Here's a couple from the weekend's TP Precipice Meet.
First some trees - they really were that colour; very striking.
i-jhpsh2w-L.jpg

Second, a 180deg panorama on the Barmouth railway bridge. It seems that even at 180deg I can't get my horizons straight :bang:
i-SB2VSWR-XL.jpg

Fuji have just posted on Twitter saying there should be an announcement in the next 24 hours

Try one of the rivals, such as the G12.
Then you would be raving about the X10 viewfinder too!

Sure it's not as good as a DSLR.
But it's way better than nearly all the cameras in this class.

I agree - and I did look through the VF of a G12 and alike cameras and I laughed.

And surely it is the best camera in its class..... but then I went and spent twice as much and bought an x100 so (y)

Yep, that's the one. The orb issue isn't really an issue for me but I'm interested to see what the outcome is.

Cause and Fixes :razz:
It doesn't say what is causing the problem and doesn't say anything about fixing them other than hinting at a producing a new sensor.
No indication if the new sensor can be retro fitted or will only be in new models.
No indication if the 'fix' will have side effects.

Till then, best just get out and take some piccies :)

yeah no real guarantees that it will work and what will the new sensor take away from your images in order to get orbs sorted.

Will be waiting for lots of reports back from people who send theirs off first i think before i risk it. It really doesnt bother me for what i take shots of and on the odd occasion i want to take photos of streetlights at night im sure i can tweak things in PS for now :)

I doubt if I'll be sending mine back any time soon... There isn't a camera out there that's perfect so I'll just sit back and be content with knowing that the X10's positives far outweigh the negatives! :)

I spoke to the fuji uk service centre this morning. For people dissatisfied with the orb issue, they are actually going to replace the sensor in the camera and not give out a totally new unit. They are expecting new sensors to come in sometime in May.

I'm in a total dilemma now. Potentially heading towards returning my camera to WEX for a refund (I'm still in my return period I think) and making do with my DSLR for now. I'm kind loathed to as I love the camera (just recently placed an order for the flash as well) but am concerned about -
1. Resale value if don't swap to the "un-orbed" sensor
2. In complete contrast to point 1, not sure if I really want a rush job new sensor - they have hardly had time to optimise it or make it work perfectly with the other hardware / software in the camera.

Tough spot. To be honest, I kind of wish they had just let it be......but I guess lots of people would have slated them for doing nothing then!

Surely if they replace the sensor the issue is solved and they most likely give the camera a once over too so nothing lost? Why return the camera to WEX, I don't get it?

I'm gonna wait and see how the first replacement units get on before sending mine in for the sensor swap. Only problem I have is that I'm going abroad end of May so the timing might be an issue. Oh well, I'll wait and see.

Well I spoke to Dale in their technical support and it sounds like that's when the sensors are coming in so probably best to wait until after your hols!

He said that they will obviously do the turnaround ASAP but the delay in the sensors was to make sure they get it right so they don't get any other issues arising from the new sensor. I couldn't work out if its going to be installed as standard in new units or not, I guess as its not an issue across all their units, and there doesn't appear to be a way to identify units which have the old or new sensor when you buy them off the shelf as I plan to do!

I'm gonna wait and see how the first replacement units get on before sending mine in for the sensor swap. Only problem I have is that I'm going abroad end of May so the timing might be an issue. Oh well, I'll wait and see.

I'm gonna wait too!
If it was THAT easy to fix, it should have been fixed prior to launch.
Bet there is an IQ compromise somewhere.....

I'm gonna wait too!

That's exactly what I'm afraid of. Must be a rat somewhere: after the repair find dust in the body, a misaligned lens, less DR, etc. I'm not too concerned about the orbs at the mo (only seen them in 3 or 4 photos), but that could change with the wheather ;-)

i had a little moan to fuji support yesterday and received this response via email

Dear Mr Turner,

Thank you for your email.

Sorry to hear that the firmware update has not cured the blooming problem. The updated sensor will be available late May,this will be replaced for you free of charge.If you reply to this email with your full UK address and camera serial number,we will create a job for you.
Once the sensors come in stock we will send you some prepaid packaging so the camera can be returned to us at no cost to yourself.

Hope this information helps.

it sound a good move to me and at least they ARE doing something about it. I would wait until other have had their sensor replaced to see the outcome me thinks

Daz

Mirus Lux said:
Well I spoke to Dale in their technical support and it sounds like that's when the sensors are coming in so probably best to wait until after your hols!

Yeah, will definitely wait until I get back. Hopefully there will be some feedback when I return plus I'll have the 7D anyway. Tbh, I've done few test shots and not seen a problem as yet. Not had a proper day out with the camera though. Day off Thursday so hopefully the weather will behave!

I'm gonna wait too!

This is what I am worried about. The new sensor maybe a compromise impacting image quality.

Countering this is the fact that cameras that havent got the new sensor will be worth a lot less second hand.

Thats why I am going to return it. Will wait and see how effective the new sensor is and buy a new unit if appropriate.

Last edited:
Or am I making a big mistake???

Or may be the original X10 with the original sensor will become a cult camera with superior quality over its predecessor and its value will be untold!

For my two-penneth worth on the subject, I see it this way, bare with me.

I recently chose a Volvo V50 as a company car. I could have had anything within my budget. I considered BMW 320, Audi A3, Lexus IS200 and so on. Each had some good qualities; each had some negatives, like high P11D value, not enough boot space, MPG and so on.

I considered what the main use of the car would be, against what it would cost me and chose the V50. Why, it fits 90% of my use, long motorway cruises, going out with my family, economical ect. Sure if I went on a track day it would not be the best option available but do I do many track days, well no. Would I still do a trackday in the V50, hell yes.

My point is this, if you go looking for problems you will always find them and if you are after something for one specific task then chose the tool that best suits the task. If you are after a multi-tool to do all tasks then compromise is always inevitable.

If you want a good all round camera for everyday shooting is the X10 a good choice, well for my needs it suits 95% of what I want from it. If I was only going to shoot low light images with bright objects in the scene would I chose a X10, hell no. If I was in a situation were there was a good low light image with bright lights to be taken would I use the X10, well yes it will still be a good image but it “may” have some “orbs” that some people “may” find distracting. That’s my compromise but I can live with that.

The X10 does what I want to do with it today and it will still perform the same tomorrow, next year, next decade and so on. Ok better option may become avaible in the future but that is not an opion here and now.

Do I consider what the X10 will be worth second hand, well everything is subject to deprecation and I would not say we are talking thousands here, so is it worth worrying about.

Yes I agree. Thought it over last night and have decided to keep it. It's just too usable to give up.

hmm, i dont think it is a necessity, that the new sensor, without producing white orbs has automaticly to suffer in other terms. 6 month is quite a long time, to improve the sensor in the way to just make it better :)
I emailed with fuji yesterday evening and was surprised that i have got an answer this morning already. i wanted to know if the change the sensor also in my country and they do. So i am looking forward for it

I am very impressed by Fuji. When I bought mine it came with a faulty memory card so I sent it back and they have apologised, refunded my money and are sending a new one for free.

Very good customer service in my books!

OK over reaction…….like on some other forums :naughty:

If this is my compromise, taking a hand held shot with no flash in low light on a compact using iso1600 and getting a usable image then so be it.

Are they Orbs, do they distract? Only the viewer can answer that.

But they do not distract from what the image means to me, one of many good quality images captured for memory, during a day I would never have carried a DLSR around on.

I have only adjusted crop, verticals or horizontals, no other processing.

_DSF0753 by Jonnydee9, on Flickr

Yet getting, from the same camera, this image that my eyes struggled to render. Considering it was taken through glass into the sun, with bright reflection from the water, no filters or hoods :thinking:

_DSF0658 by Jonnydee9, on Flickr

and then taking a quick panoramic

_DSF0621 by Jonnydee9, on Flickr

and a quick switch to mono in the camera

_DSF0698 by Jonnydee9, on Flickr

There's nothing wrong with that shot in the slightest... :)

Don't post it on dpreview though or you'll be flamed for being in the employ of Fuji or in league with Satan (whichever comes first)! :wacky:

In fact, the whole set looks fine... With those sorts of results, I can't see any point in following the herd into 'recall heaven'.

Si

In fact, the whole set looks fine... With those sorts of results, I can't see any point in following the herd into 'recall heaven'.

Si

Cheers for the comments Si. Personally I will sit back and watch over the recall, assessing the outcome.

Im sure one forum will soon be banging on about how good/bad the new sensor is then spending an eternity deliberating :nuts:

Back