The Official Fuji X10/X20/X30/XF1/XQ1 Thread

Anyone tried the digital zoom vs. cropping? I have the impression it's not that bad (for emergency situations only) and having it under the Fn button allows very quick access. Many thanks in advance.

Rob

Unfortunately the case only takes 2 cards and one battery - 7dayshop used to sell them (but no longer) they are designed for 2xSD + 2xCF (or memory stick) cards. For the hood, I'll try one of the Chinese versions of the official one and see how I get on. The size thing - no not the battery capacity, per say, the camera is just too darn small to be held comfortably by me and I keep hitting buttons when I don't want to and feel as if my hands are deformed trying to get to the buttons that I want to use!

Paul

The X10 is larger than my old walk about XA and slightly smaller than my Super Solinette that was my pocket camera in the 50's

walkabouts.jpg

I have hand sewn myself a battery case to fit on the strap... the problem there, is I need one to take at least three batteries. I don't need one for a spare card I find a 8Gb one quite enough for a day out.

I don't find the X10 complex to use at all. I had it all but mastered in the first day. I re read the manual each evening for the next few days, to discover anything I had missed. All the "book and print stuff" is a complete waste of space for me, but perhaps there are others that might use such things.

Last edited:
Anyone tried the digital zoom vs. cropping? I have the impression it's not that bad (for emergency situations only) and having it under the Fn button allows very quick access. Many thanks in advance.

Rob

I can't think of any circumstances when it might be useful or better than cropping on the computer. It is only there for those who might believe it extends the focal length, and like big numbers.

Last edited:
I have hand sewn myself a battery case to fit on the strap... the problem there, is I need one to take at least three batteries. I don't need one for a spare card I find a 8Gb one quite enough for a day out.

I still don't understand your need to carry three batteries.
My three days in Copenhagen was a full-on photo trip and only used one battery.
I've only ever needed to swap battery just a few occasions while I've been away from home.
I do actually own a third battery, a low capacity 700mAh cheapy bought by mistake; I've never felt the need to carry this in my overnight bags and I'm not sure I could even find it right now!

I can't think of any circumstances when it might be useful or better than cropping on the computer. It is only there for those who might believe it extends the focal length, and like big numbers.

I was hoping someone had already tried and compared both methods/options. Well, I probably have to do a bit of testing meself then... ;)

I'll post any results here.

I think people use a digital camera in very different ways. I have the screen turned off and have a 3 second review of each shot taken before screens shuts off again so my battery lasts as long as I have ever needed (it will easily outlive my memory card and I only use one of those too)
I also turn the camera off whe not using even if for a minute as nothing lost by doing this (it powers up so quickly and easily in same setting as when turned off)

However, others may go through their images, deleting, manipulating (zooming/cropping as above) and have the screen on at all times with no power save.

The difference in battery between those examples could be as great as 400 shots.

I've only ever needed to swap battery just a few occasions while I've been away from home.
I do actually own a third battery, a low capacity 700mAh cheapy bought by mistake; I've never felt the need to carry this in my overnight bags and I'm not sure I could even find it right now!

I am just used to my DSLR I can leave it on all day and still have a charge.

As the X10 is still new I am peeking far more than I will later.. But it seems to use a fair amout of charge doing nothing when it is switched on.

Last edited:
Lens distortions are corrected automatically in Jpeg shots using the X10
However, not so in Raw files. So these must be software corrected. I use PTLens to do this as a plug in in Photoshop or as a stand alone software correction. It does this automatically using the focal length and camera in the EXIFF data.

UNCORRECTED
NONPTLens.jpg

CORRECTED

WITHPTLens.jpg

Last edited:
I have had my X10 less than 24hours now so am still not totally confident in what I'm doing. I'm still trying to get to grips with the settings and working my way through the manual which is tedium beyond belief, but that said, in order to get the most out of the camera i'm going to persevere. :bang:

I am already impressed with the functionality of the camera, it has the potential to be a very creative tool. The first thing that struck me with the X10 when I opened the box the is quality of the camera, it feels solid and quite robust for a small delicate object.

So, my first image from a batch today taken in my back garden using the super macro function. I'm very pleased with the result and the super macro function is quite impressive :)

7295081500_0a32789d99_h.jpg

Fuji X10, Aperture mode + Super macro, Focal length 7.1mm, F3.6, (+1 E/V), speed 1/600, ISO 800.

Now I just need to get out a bit more and start using it, I'm looking forward to the results over the next few weeks and months.

Any advice or tips on settings for landscape / urban photography gratefully received, I realise this is quite subjective ?

Many thanks and i'll post some more images in the near future.

Nick

Last edited:
I'm also impressed with the "super macro" on this camera:

Flower by Keith Burton, on Flickr

First post, yikes! Hello all... great thread.

I can confirm that Fuji have the new sensors in. As mentioned through other sources, it is on a first come first served basis. A box for return is being mailed to me.

I just called a short while ago as I have a sticking aperture - it won't go to F2.0. I was told my repair may take a little longer depending on my place in the queue for a sensor but no timescale was available.

Last edited:
Hi
Having read through some of the previous pages, I noticed that some of you are using the X10 with the rear screen off to conserve battery juice

I initially started by doing this but noticed that there was a significant delay before the shutter fired. I now leave the Info screen on and it's a near instantaneous release, obviously with a bigger drain on the battery. As I'm still on the original firmware, just wondering if the delay (screen off) had been remedied in any firmware upgrades?

Cheers

Well I went out for a few hours with a newly charged battery and 2 hours & a hundred or so pics later the camera died. Now if I hadn't had a second battery that would have been the end of the session. Whilst you say the battery capacity will improve with use, I'd still like to perhaps shoot for 5 or 6 hours, which would mean 3 batteries until they get to optimum. Be great if I don't have to carry spares, but then again they are very small so until I'm confident they're up to my shooting style I'm happy to pay £10 for a couple of spares.

Paul

Out this evening with the battery showing 3/4 full, but just over an hour later dead as a dodo.

Got some nice pics including;
a4402bcc.jpg

90c13762.jpg

But wouldn't have got this without the spare battery - third battery arrived today.
53adf76b.jpg

Paul

Last edited:
Hi, first post! I'm thinking of buying the X10 in the next couple of days, but how can i make sure that it will It will have a new sensor in it? Or will i end up with an old 'white orb' one? Thinking of buying it from Pc World £379.
Thanks.

Earlier, I asked whether people had first-hand experience with the digital zoom function, especially compared to non-DZ and just cropping the image. Well, I've done a quick comparison.

Approach:

1. take picture without dig. zoom (ISO 100, M-size, P-mode, 28mm, 1/180s, f2.8);
2. turn on dig. zoom (ISO 100, M-size, P-mode, 56mm (28mm x 2), 1/240s, f2.8);
3. cut identical scene from 1 (identical to zoomed in photo 2);
4. scale 3 to same size as 2;
5. compare 4 to 2.

- Used fixed camera position (tripod);
- Both photos taken as JPG (not RAW), M-size;
- Photos (1 & 2) taken within 10 seconds of each other;
- Photo 1 is slightly lighter due to 1/180s, compared to photo 2 (1/240s);
- Cutting and scaling of scene form photo 1 was done with Gimp 2.6 on Linux;
- For scaling I used two different algorithms: Cubic and Lanczos 3;
- Cut and scaled images were saved with 100% jpg quality.

Here are the photos (numbers referring to the numbers above):

1. without dig. zoom:

M-non-zoom by Robenroute, on Flickr

2. with dig. zoom (taken 10 seconds after 1):

M-digital-zoom(2x) by Robenroute, on Flickr

4.1. cut from 1 and scaled using Cubic algorithm:

M-cropped-50perc-scaled-up-(cubic) by Robenroute, on Flickr

4.2 cut from 1 and scaled using Lanczos 3 algorithm:

M-cropped-50perc-scaled-up-(lanczos3) by Robenroute, on Flickr

First impressions:

a. At normal viewing sizes, there's not much difference in sharpness between the cropped/scaled and dig. zoomed photo (although I do think the cropped version has slightly more detail to show (look at the flowers top left area)).

b. The Lanczos 3 algorithm seems to have retained slightly more detail (and sharper edges) than the Cubic algorithm.

I'd love to hear from you people what your impressions/opinions are (including feedback concerning the setup/approach/etc.). I know, the setup and approach won't qualify as scientific, and it's only a single picture/example. In addition, there's the fact that I've only looked at an M-sized photo (perhaps L-sized photos retain more detail; would be interesting to see how cropping would compare to dig. zoom).

Thanks & Regards,
Rob

Last edited:
Hi
Having read through some of the previous pages, I noticed that some of you are using the X10 with the rear screen off to conserve battery juice

I initially started by doing this but noticed that there was a significant delay before the shutter fired. I now leave the Info screen on and it's a near instantaneous release, obviously with a bigger drain on the battery. As I'm still on the original firmware, just wondering if the delay (screen off) had been remedied in any firmware upgrades?

Cheers

Not sure if it is a latest firmware thing or your camera has something odd going on with it. I have noticed no difference at all if the screen is off or on and technically there shouldn't be.
In theory having the screen off could potentially be quicker as the camera has less processing to do (but it probably doesn't work like that so probably makes no difference)

Earlier, I asked whether people had first-hand experience with the digital zoom function, especially compared to non-DZ and just cropping the image. Well, I've done a quick comparison.

Approach:

1. take picture without dig. zoom (ISO 100, M-size, P-mode, 28mm, 1/180s, f2.8);
5. compare 4 to 2.

1. without dig. zoom:

M-non-zoom by Robenroute, on Flickr

M-digital-zoom(2x) by Robenroute, on Flickr

M-cropped-50perc-scaled-up-(cubic) by Robenroute, on Flickr

First impressions:

a. At normal viewing sizes, there's not much difference in sharpness between the cropped/scaled and dig. zoomed photo (although I do think the cropped version has slightly more detail to show (look at the flowers top left area)).

b. The Lanczos 3 algorithm seems to have retained slightly more detail (and sharper edges) than the Cubic algorithm.

I'd love to hear from you people what your impressions/opinions are (including feedback concerning the setup/approach/etc.). I know, the setup and approach won't qualify as scientific, and it's only a single picture/example. In addition, there's the fact that I've only looked at an M-sized photo (perhaps L-sized photos retain more detail; would be interesting to see how cropping would compare to dig. zoom).

Thanks & Regards,
Rob

Interesting comparison Rob, thank you for taking the time to do it. (y)

I have to say, I have never used digital zoom on any camera as my understanding is that it takes a central crop of the image and enlarges it, thus reducing image quality. But then to a degree, that is what cropping during post processing does also, albeit using a different alogarithm and allowing you to select the aspect ratio/portion of the image that you crop.

Looking at your comparisons, with my monitor and to my eye, I agree that the Lanczos 3 version is of better quality, but not by much. It is therefore comforting to know that should the need arise (rare in my case) to have an extended zoom on the X10, it can provide the means with little compromise.

Thanks again.

Neil

Received this today:

Thank you for registering your camera for a sensor replacement and also for
your patience in waiting for the sensors to become available. I am very
happy to announce that we now have these parts in stock and we can upgrade
your camera as soon as you are able to do without it for a short while.

You will shortly receive some pre-paid packaging with instructions on how
to send your camera to our service centre securely and free of charge.

If you have any questions about this service or anything else to do with
your Fujifilm camera, please call our helpline team on 0844 553 2322 or
email the address below
:

Xseries@fuji.co.uk

Got mine today too. After a bit of thought I think I will send mine in. I'm just thinking of resale here, if they release an x10 mk2 in years to come and I want that, the first question people would ask of this is "did you get the sensor done" still having the orb issue might put people off.

I'm hoping someone gets one done and reviewed before mine goes off though.

I've just come off the phone to Fuji UK having registered mine for the sensor replacement.
I have been told that the programme is due to start "imminently" and should take around a week to make the change and send back.

I was in two minds as to whether to go ahead with it, as the orb issue hasn't really affected me too much.

I am in the same camp as essexash though regarding resale further down the line (it will be a long way down the line though as I love this camera), so think I will go with it.

Having thought long and hard about this. I telephoned Fuji today and registered. My rationale is that the new sensor can't be any worse than the original and is probably better and should have been extensively field tested.
I also agree with the resale comment, people will want the Mk II sensor.

They said although the packaging is being sent out as of today the sensors have not yet arrived in the UK but the delivery is 'imminent'

Looking at the preview on DPR, I reckon that they've toned down the dynamic range to lose the orbs- not that I've had any.

I think that I'll be sticking with the camera as it is until I see otherwise.

I think if nothing else this thread proves beyond any doubt it is the photographer and not the equipment that makes the photo. there are some great pictures on here and the panoramas are great. It also demonstrates the importance of really understanding your camera and its full capabilities which the X10 has.

hope i can do half as well with mine!

Approach:

5. compare 4 to 2.

1. without dig. zoom:

First impressions:

Thanks & Regards,
Rob

You seem to have supplied convincing evidence that Cropping has the potential for higher quality if done on the computer. Given the comparative resources available that is not much of a surprise.
However the computer has a massive advantage when it comes to re-composing the crop. For this reason it must be the preferred option.

The only exception might be if the crop is needed away from a computer.

You seem to have supplied convincing evidence that Cropping has the potential for higher quality if done on the computer. Given the comparative resources available that is not much of a surprise.
However the computer has a massive advantage when it comes to re-composing the crop. For this reason it must be the preferred option.

The only exception might be if the crop is needed away from a computer.

Neil & Terry, thanks for your feedback. I do think that cropping and upscaling with the right software tools on a computer indeed delivers the better results.

If I have time, I would like to redo the experiment, but then using full resolution (L-size) photos and doing full manual exposure.

For the time being, I'd like to think that when really needed (apart from having no computer at hand), a digitally zoomed photo isn't so bad.

Thanks again,
Rob

Last edited:
Blank_Canvas said:
On the bumper yes, others may disagree it's very subjective.

Well, I've seen much worse than that. Have look at the glass flower I posted earlier; the orbs are more pronounced. The orb on the bumper has lots of flares shooting out of it, making it look far more natural than the sharply edged orbs that you regularly see. Personally, I wouldn't call this an orb.

Sorry Nick but I would agree with Rob it don't look like an 'orb' to me :shrug:

Received this today:

Thank you for registering your camera for a sensor replacement and also for
your patience in waiting for the sensors to become available. I am very
happy to announce that we now have these parts in stock and we can upgrade
your camera as soon as you are able to do without it for a short while.

You will shortly receive some pre-paid packaging with instructions on how
to send your camera to our service centre securely and free of charge.

If you have any questions about this service or anything else to do with
your Fujifilm camera, please call our helpline team on 0844 553 2322 or
email the address below
:

Xseries@fuji.co.uk

I had my email today too. I will send mine in as soon as I get the packaging.
I'm sure they have thought a lot about this. It would do the company a lot of harm if they replaced the sensor with something sub standard.

I took a few shots today with very strong highlights and there are orbs visible. I took the same shot with my X100 and it was perfect.

I suppose, if I am unhappy with it after the sensor fix, I can always return it.

Allan

I've also been struggling with the decision to replace the sensor.

This picture is fairly typical of my cameras performance with highlights.
Would you consider this an 'orb'?

Thanks for helping.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/woodmaster/7230204330/

I don't think that is an orb on the bumper, it does not have sharp edges. There are orbs though, on the chrome windshield surround, top left, and on the chrome trim, top right, on the rear of the Honda in front.
Nice car though ( not the Honda!)
Allan

A few weeks ago I mentioned I was taking my X10 on a 10-day tour of "The Holy Land". Well, we came back last week, completely knackered after a great trip (on the bus at 8 am, back at 5 then out for a scout around for an hour or so...). I'm still ploughing through the 1500+ photos so I'm not going to share anything yet. But I thought I'd make a couple of comments.

Overall, I thought the X10 was wonderful (well, of course). It dealt extremely well (I thought) with great extremes of light, from full bright sun to church basements and caves. I only used flash a few times, despite the darkness. I found myself using the OVF much, much more than I have ever done in the UK, and the experience was... ok. Assuming 85%, the framing seemed reasonable; in particular it didn't seem off centre. But I was too busy to do a proper check!

The big thing I missed was any kind of focus checking in the OVF. Yes, if you kinda squint you can see the green focus light and hear the beep, but I was never really sure what was being focused on (I'm using centre focus and it's quite a small spot). But it was MUCH better than squinting at an almost invisible image on a sunlit screen, which the other tour members were having to do. Given the strong light, I also missed the histogram, and it was quite difficult to check it on the rear screen, adjust the exposure compensation and then take the shot with the OVF. So, I missed a few and got a lot that I wouldn't with no OVF.

I think if a X10 mark 2 came round with a bit more info in the OVF (a cheaper version of the X100 OVF), I would be very keen to upgrade, especially if I lived in a very bright place!

I've got a Marumi 40mm UV filter on, which saves having that step-up ring. It has done really well almost all of the time, but a half dozen images were spoiled by flare/reflections. I think I was probably shooting towards the sun, though.

The really brilliant thing was the Gordy strap. I got the black and red one, really quick from tripman. I was worried about security, pickpockets etc (unnecessarily, as it turned out), but with that strap on your wrist, there's no way anyone would nick the X10 short of a full-on mugging (then the only thing might be getting it off fast enough!). Needs more wearing in than I was able to give it, though; initially a little sore wearing it 3 hours plus a day.

Batteries didn't quite last a day on average, with quite a lot of turning off and on again, checking through shots and uploading. I took 2 spares but never needed the second spare. I was using the 2 EverReady batteries, just so I could keep track of the recharged and discharged ones. Maybe they have a bit less juice than the Fujifilm batteries?

That'll do for now. It was a great experience in so many ways, and the X10 really helped. Not sure I'll tell you about my daft experience trying street photography from the hip in the Old City, though!

Chris

ChrisR said:
A few weeks ago I mentioned I was taking my X10 on a 10-day tour of "The Holy Land". Well, we came back last week, completely knackered after a great trip (on the bus at 8 am, back at 5 then out for a scout around for an hour or so...). I'm still ploughing through the 1500+ photos so I'm not going to share anything yet. But I thought I'd make a couple of comments.

Overall, I thought the X10 was wonderful (well, of course). It dealt extremely well (I thought) with great extremes of light, from full bright sun to church basements and caves. I only used flash a few times, despite the darkness. I found myself using the OVF much, much more than I have ever done in the UK, and the experience was... ok. Assuming 85%, the framing seemed reasonable; in particular it didn't seem off centre. But I was too busy to do a proper check!

The big thing I missed was any kind of focus checking in the OVF. Yes, if you kinda squint you can see the green focus light and hear the beep, but I was never really sure what was being focused on (I'm using centre focus and it's quite a small spot). But it was MUCH better than squinting at an almost invisible image on a sunlit screen, which the other tour members were having to do. Given the strong light, I also missed the histogram, and it was quite difficult to check it on the rear screen, adjust the exposure compensation and then take the shot with the OVF. So, I missed a few and got a lot that I wouldn't with no OVF.

I think if a X10 mark 2 came round with a bit more info in the OVF (a cheaper version of the X100 OVF), I would be very keen to upgrade, especially if I lived in a very bright place!

I've got a Marumi 40mm UV filter on, which saves having that step-up ring. It has done really well almost all of the time, but a half dozen images were spoiled by flare/reflections. I think I was probably shooting towards the sun, though.

The really brilliant thing was the Gordy strap. I got the black and red one, really quick from tripman. I was worried about security, pickpockets etc (unnecessarily, as it turned out), but with that strap on your wrist, there's no way anyone would nick the X10 short of a full-on mugging (then the only thing might be getting it off fast enough!). Needs more wearing in than I was able to give it, though; initially a little sore wearing it 3 hours plus a day.

Batteries didn't quite last a day on average, with quite a lot of turning off and on again, checking through shots and uploading. I took 2 spares but never needed the second spare. I was using the 2 EverReady batteries, just so I could keep track of the recharged and discharged ones. Maybe they have a bit less juice than the Fujifilm batteries?

That'll do for now. It was a great experience in so many ways, and the X10 really helped. Not sure I'll tell you about my daft experience trying street photography from the hip in the Old City, though!

Chris

I guess you've wet our appetites, Chris. And not just for some great shots; the street photography experience sounds just too interesting to keep to yourself ;-)

Thanks for sharing your experience, and I'm looking forward to your photos!

Looking at the shots and peoples comments in this thread

One thing is very clear......

That the X10's has brought back the "joy" into peoples photography again.

It is a serious camera that is seriously fun. and unlike many other "fun" cameras it achieves seriously good photographs.

What more could one wish......

I guess you've wet our appetites, Chris. And not just for some great shots; the street photography experience sounds just too interesting to keep to yourself ;-)

Photo selection is proving hard, but as you insist I can kill all my TP credibility by owning up to my "street photography' #fail!

Our hotel was just outside the Jerusalem Old City walls, and at the end of the first day 4 of us decided to talk a walk through. This part of the city (near the Damascus Gate) is a maze of alleys, some densely packed with stalls and fantastically interesting. We quickly got lost, and ended up in areas where people were literally telling us we weren't welcome and shouldn't come through. As we gradually found our way back, I still wanted to take pictures, so I tried holding the X10 at hip level, aiming it roughly and taking some shots.

When we got back to the hotel I checked the photos, and almost none of the hip-level shots were there. To my chagrin, I realised I had pressed the shutter button until I heard the focus beep... and somehow thought I'd taken the shot!:bang:

Shall I leave now?

Signed, anon

Back