The Official Fuji X10/X20/X30/XF1/XQ1 Thread

ChrisR said:
Signed, anon

Stone the crows. That must be a big disappointment. So many potentially interesting shots missed. Then again, you'll always have your mental photos with you. Some situations are just more interesting when told...

I'd imagine going through hundreds of photos being a pain in the proverbial behind. If you do spot some photos that convey the atmosphere well, by all means do share. Many thanks in advance, Chris!

like others are saying, the macro modes are very impressive indeed for a compact :)

S0121749small.jpg

like others are saying, the macro modes are very impressive indeed for a compact :)

S0121749small.jpg

Sure are... considering it was windy too!

7306656268_45fa4f2178_h.jpg

Allan

Last edited:
Looks like a Rhino beetle. Ugly little fella!
Allan

It's a great little camera for macro, nice image of the rhino beetle.

I have had my X10 for less than a week now but i'm slowly getting to grips with the controls and really like it. I thought I would venture out onto the streets of Derby yesterday and here is the result:-

7308981364_d194207fe3_b.jpg

The X10 is very unassuming, unobtrusive and easy to use. I don't think I would have captured this image with a DSLR which can be a bit intimidating for some people.

Nick

My pre paid box came today for the sensor replacement. I guess I will send it in after the bank holiday, the letter with it says it takes around a week to complete. Can I do without it for a week?
Allan

My pre paid box came today for the sensor replacement. I guess I will send it in after the bank holiday, the letter with it says it takes around a week to complete. Can I do without it for a week?
Allan

What number are you ? mine is 3250410. I was wondering when I might get the Call...

got a few events coming up when I will want the camera so will wait a couple of weeks before registrering mine for the replacement.

Hopefully there will be some more feedback on the new sensor then too

I would register now. It takes a couple of weeks to get the return packaging then you can send it in when you like.
Allan

Had my first big disappointment with the X10 today:(

Went to watch the Olympic Flame come through Chorley, and after taking a video and some pics of the accompanying entourage that goes before it, I decided to video the flame carrier and the rest of the entourage. But when I stopped the recording, the creen went grey and said 'Write Error'. I pressed the playback button, and it came up with 'Read Error'. So no video or pics of the actual flame itself to show the family:(

Not sure if it's a card problem or a camera problem, will have a go later with the Sandisk card recovery software I've got, but I'm not optimistic:(

Allan

Ooh-err I've got mine too:clap:. Decision time:thinking:... but it's not hard, really. I got quite a large number of orbs on the Holy Land trip, some of which were very annoying. So I will get the replacement. Sending it after the coming holiday weekend is probably a good idea.

I'm quite impressed with the packaging; a foam block inside a box, with a X10-sized cutout in the foam block, then a freepost bag to put it in.

I guess it makes sense to remove memory cards, battery, filter, strap etc before sending it in.

Thanks, How and where do I register for the replacement?

Call Fuji UK Customer services on 08445532322 and give them name, address and serial number.

Found this thing called Google and typed in "X10 Sensor replacement UK".
I think I will become a big user of this Google thing. :)

Sending it after the coming holiday weekend is probably a good idea.

Changed my mind and sent it off this afternoon, even though it won't get there until Wednesday. The weather forecast doesn't suggest many picture opportunities over the weekend, and if it gets better I've a film I can stick in my old Pentax ME. Who knows, I may even get it back before the following weekend, if I'm near the front of the queue!

Chris

I know the phone number was given in an earlier post but after Googling and not getting anywhere too fast I wonder if someone knows the email address to contact Fuji regarding my X10 getting the new sensor.

I am not able to phone them due to my recovering from a recent very serious health problem which has affected my ability to talk coherently.

Help would be appreciated?

Hi, I'm new to this forum and new to the X10! I have seen some excellent photographs taken with this camera on this forum and really look forward to adding a few of my own soon.

cheers

Martin

DayDreamer, I used the contact form in MyFinepix. I got a reply next day.
Allan

Hi all, first post on this thread, looks like a good bunch on here.

After weeks of debating I finally got my X10 today. Have just sold my D90, lack of time to get out and shoot, but started more serious photography with the D5000.

I have just run the battery to the red, which didn't take a lot! That can be forgiven as it has not had a full charge yet. Anyway... Back to the points I want to make.

1. I have 2 young children and my son, at 18 months, is like an animal!!! The boy will not stop, before with the D90 I could still get cracking pictures of him, however I am struggling on this. Any ideas of settings which could use. Have so far just gone for auto and Auto EXR, did not have time to set it up as I am sure my son believed the camera was some sort of new food he wanted a bit of!

2. The viewfinder, really? I find the distortion pretty bad, with my eye to it (yes, it is adjusted for my eyes). Tried catching my son with it, where time is of the essence, and I don't believe there is anyway to find out what you have focused on, without checking the LCD. As Chris said, from his trip to Israel, it came in handy for the bright locations (reason I wanted a viewfinder, plus gives the feel of a "real" camera).

My other options for a compact were Nikons P310, P710, S9300 and J1 (not so compact, but for image quality). I am worried that I have made the wrong choice, I loved my DSLR's but as I said earlier just did not have the time, or the space, I was looking for something smaller with similar features, so when I do have time the options are there. Someone please make my day by saying that I can get great pictures of my children on the move. I am a bit hesitant to open anymore packaging in case I decide to return it. Oh and I am using San Disk Extreme class 10 cards. Finally so as not to end on a downer, the picture quality looks fantastic for landscapes or still portraiture.

Thanks in anticipation

Craig

craigalisle said:
Hi all, first post on this thread, looks like a good bunch on here.

After weeks of debating I finally got my X10 today. Have just sold my D90, lack of time to get out and shoot, but started more serious photography with the D5000.

I have just run the battery to the red, which didn't take a lot! That can be forgiven as it has not had a full charge yet. Anyway... Back to the points I want to make.

1. I have 2 young children and my son, at 18 months, is like an animal!!! The boy will not stop, before with the D90 I could still get cracking pictures of him, however I am struggling on this. Any ideas of settings which could use. Have so far just gone for auto and Auto EXR, did not have time to set it up as I am sure my son believed the camera was some sort of new food he wanted a bit of!

2. The viewfinder, really? I find the distortion pretty bad, with my eye to it (yes, it is adjusted for my eyes). Tried catching my son with it, where time is of the essence, and I don't believe there is anyway to find out what you have focused on, without checking the LCD. As Chris said, from his trip to Israel, it came in handy for the bright locations (reason I wanted a viewfinder, plus gives the feel of a "real" camera).

My other options for a compact were Nikons P310, P710, S9300 and J1 (not so compact, but for image quality). I am worried that I have made the wrong choice, I loved my DSLR's but as I said earlier just did not have the time, or the space, I was looking for something smaller with similar features, so when I do have time the options are there. Someone please make my day by saying that I can get great pictures of my children on the move. I am a bit hesitant to open anymore packaging in case I decide to return it. Oh and I am using San Disk Extreme class 10 cards. Finally so as not to end on a downer, the picture quality looks fantastic for landscapes or still portraiture.

Thanks in anticipation

Craig

Hi Craig,

The X10 definitely isn't a DSLR; taking it for what it is certainly helps enjoying its features, possibilities and getting to grips with its limitations. The X10 is capable of a lot, especially image quality. You may want to try shutter priority mode (S) and select a fairly fast shutter speed, e.g. 1/250 or faster. You may have to choose a higher ISO setting (800 or so) to prevent larger apertures being chosen by the X10 ( creating more DoF). These are just guidelines and most importantly perhaps, you should experiment a lot. Sorry I can't give you the "ultimate" settings here; I'm not much of an action photographer myself. There are loads of settings to be explored, so have fun with it!

You could try using shutter priority with as fast a shutter speed as you can get. Don't be afraid to raise the ISO to get the speed.
Or, try scene mode ( sports) , or face detect with afc.
Best to experiment with all these to see what works.
Remember, 10 years ago, cameras were not as fast and sophisticated as they are today, and people still got great shots of kids running around!
Nothing wrong with the camera.......

Allan

Last edited:
Thanks for that guys? Have just unpacked the charger and stuck it on, in anticipation for a thorough test tomorrow!

Feeling much better about it now and also checked more reviews about its capabilities. Looked at a few pictures I took earlier and quite pleased with the colours.

Getting used to a compact and also a different manufacturer will take time, but from what I have heard/read it will be worth it.

Thanks again

Craig

craigalisle said:
Thanks for that guys? Have just unpacked the charger and stuck it on, in anticipation for a thorough test tomorrow!

Feeling much better about it now and also checked more reviews about its capabilities. Looked at a few pictures I took earlier and quite pleased with the colours.

Getting used to a compact and also a different manufacturer will take time, but from what I have heard/read it will be worth it.

Thanks again

Craig

Let us know how you fare, Craig. I'd be interested to see some action shots ;-)

My other options for a compact were Nikons P310, P710, S9300 and J1 (not so compact, but for image quality). I am worried that I have made the wrong choice,

If you are after a compact camera then I think you have made a good choice. However if you are trying to consistently capture fast moving subjects then any compact is the wrong choice really. You may get a few good shots but nowhere near as many as an SLR as the focusing speed cannot compete due to the nature of how it works.

If I was interested in photographing fast/erratic moving objects I wouldn't have bought an X10 to do it...

my fuji box is here as well, think i will wait until wednesday to post it off though

Robinroute and ernesto thanks for the comments. As soon as I get a couple of hours to get out and about will definitely get some shots uploaded, might get the opportunity sometime this year. I remember the last compact I had, it was a fuji finepix J150w (just checked wiki) and it was a Xmas present in 2008. Loved it and also the portability it was great and even got some great night pics (although not perfect of the Burj Dubai). Will see if I can source them from the realms of iPhoto. However since owning DSLR's I am used to higher quality, confident this can get me somewhere near that than your average point and shoot, learn and persevere.

Regards my choice it was to get something portable, which I could have on my person, to take the opportunities when they arise and hence the choice. Have to say very happy so far in low light, cannot see "much" need for a flash.

Finally, slightly annoyed I have purchased my camera now, as I am sure in a few months they may come with the mkii sensor, avoiding having to send it off if these problems of "orbing" arise. Looking forward to getting some good monochrome shots at my street party and will attempt to use selective colour on the union jacks on photoshops if anyone else is having a go at this would love to see it.

Thanks guys

well these are the last to be taken with my current x10. The box has arrived and ive got it ready to go.

These were from Windsor Castle today. I did try taking interiors on my D800 but got pounced on by security and told to stop. So i had my X10 on me, i slipped it into EXR mode and let it get on with it. Nothing overly artistic but bear in mind these are all over ISO1000, the rooms were very dimly lit. All i could do was slip it out of my pocket, snap a shot off then back in my pocket before being noticed. I think it did a pretty good job and in two minds to unpack it :) Ive taken a note of the serial number as ive heard people are getting new cameras back rather than the one they sent off, will be interesting to see.

Order of the Garter Room

Monarchs Champion

Some Ante Room

The Kings Bedroom

Last edited:
Excellent "stealth" shots! Makes a mockery of Ken Rockwells review of the x10.
"As expected, it's the same as other small-sensor point-and-shoots, nowhere near as good as the sees-in-the-dark Fuji X100 or DSLRs. Even at ISO 400 there is noise, and by ISO 800, subject textures have evaporated under all the noise reduction.

Shoot above ISO 1,000 and the results are noisy and subject textures are missing due to the noise reduction, same as with other compact cameras."

He obviously never held an X10!

Allan

there are so many pictures on here not affected by orbs, I am pondering whether I want to take the risk of sending mine in. Not keen on the camera being pulled apart and getting dust inside etc,wonder if they will just replace with new?

Users who dont read these forums are probably oblivious to the issue and are perfectly happy with their X10s!!!!!

Has anyone thought to take a deliberate set up orb shot then repeat with the new processor?

Last edited:
..."As expected, it's the same as other small-sensor point-and-shoots, nowhere near as good as the sees-in-the-dark Fuji X100 or DSLRs. Even at ISO 400 there is noise, and by ISO 800, subject textures have evaporated under all the noise reduction.

Shoot above ISO 1,000 and the results are noisy and subject textures are missing due to the noise reduction, same as with other compact cameras."

He obviously never held an X10!

Allan

I dislike Rockwell's reviews... He appears to be someone who's in love with the sound of his own keyboard! :shrug:

Those shots are great. I'd be more than happy with them.

I had the packaging for my X10 arrive on Friday but I'm going to hold off sending it away for a week or so because I've got a wedding next Friday and I want to use it for that (not on its own of course ;))

Back