The Official Fuji X10/X20/X30/XF1/XQ1 Thread

Just finished my Brasher pole adaptor By altering a Slik Mini-proDQ... I removed the sucker from the column and plugged and threaded the bottom.

It now acts as an extension to the Brasher pole at head height or I can lift it to ten foot for high shots
I can also use it as a hand grip or as a chest pod or mini tripod.

Normally I will just take the extension with ball and quick release as they are easy pocket size.

For high shots I set a two second delay but you must set the distance first when you start the shutter. ( it does not do it when it fires)

slick-brasher.jpg

dobcross-band.jpg

Hi all - I'm back from my adventures. Lots to read and catch up on in this thread the past few weeks. I do see however that a number of people have decided to give up on the X10. Shame as personally I'm just falling deeper in love with the little lady :)

Have too many photos to process from the trip (32GB's worth from Hungary, Croatia and Bosnia) but thought I'd still say hi before disappearing on a processing fest the next week or so.

One bad thing to report about the X10 - I experienced intermittent issues with the power. I had occasions when I’d try and turn it on and the LCD screen and camera would not work although the green light on the back switched on. I would have to wait for a few hours or try repeatedly switching it on and off before I could use it again. Sometimes as well the LCD screen would show images with some sort of electronic static interference although when I played back the image it looked fine.

Anyway last night I called Fuji about the problem and today I already have already the postage box in my possession. Great speed of service but I’ll keep my fingers crossed they will be able to identify and fix the problem quickly as my work may take me off to India in the near future (would hate not to be able to sneak out and grab a few candid’s to help me relax in between work sessions).

I’ll post a few of the shots as and when I have the time to get round to uploading them :)

You know - with all the X10's little quirks, style, fun and controversy I think this little camera is in serious danger of becoming a cult item ;)

Last edited:
...... I do see however that a number of people have decided to give up on the X10. Shame as personally I'm just falling deeper in love with the little fella :)...................................
You know - with all the X10's little quirks, style, fun and controversy I think this little camera is in serious danger of becoming a cult item ;)

I dont understand how people can't like this camera, it really is a lovely camera to look at use and the images it produces can't be bettered by any compact ( probably!)

Mine went away for the sensor replacement last week and already I am pining for it back.

Sounds like you had a good trip, can't wait to see the images

Allan

The edges aren't finished like that on mine, looks like a protector is already on. But, the only way to tell is to try and take it off.
If its a thin film type, it will come off easily, just put a finger nail on the corner and try and peel it off.
Then you can fit a nice 3" GGS glass protector on it (y)

Allan

Thanks for getting back to me on this one (y)

I think it will be a case of calling Fuji shop to see if they could of sent one out with a protector on. Not sure I want to try, very hard, at flicking corner off as it could be a multi layer LCD and I may flick a layer of and be well stuffed:puke:

Can anyone else take a look at their camera for me :help:

souldeep said:
One bad thing to report about the X10 - I experienced intermittent issues with the power. I had occasions when I’d try and turn it on and the LCD screen and camera would not work although the green light on the back switched on. I would have to wait for a few hours or try repeatedly switching it on and off before I could use it again. Sometimes as well the LCD screen would show images with some sort of electronic static interference although when I played back the image it looked fine.

Anyway last night I called Fuji about the problem and today I already have already the postage box in my possession. Great speed of service but I’ll keep my fingers crossed they will be able to identify and fix the problem quickly

I have had that issue on 2 occasions, let me know the outcome.

Glad you has a good trip

I dont understand how people can't like this camera, it really is a lovely camera to look at use and the images it produces can't be bettered by any compact ( probably!)

Well I think it may be a bit like marmite - you have to admit its unique and little quirks like the 80% coverage in the OV, the on/off, the orbs (which I'm yet to witness in my X10), the little beasts thirst for juice and the design will put people off. I really really :love: it though, just like marmite, even though I've experienced the power problem. Only cult items receive this sort of admiration - blind in love right :LOL:

Sounds like you had a good trip, can't wait to see the images

Thanks Allan - I hope my handling of the X10 will have been enough to have done her proud ;)

I plan to break it down into roughly four areas on a website I'm creating;

1) A friend’s wedding in Budapest (attempt at using the X10 for wedding photography although I was in audience as a guest so not really in the best spots to get best photos).

2) Bosnia (Sarajevo) - a sort of gritty street photography experiment incorporating culture, the war and candid capture.

3) Croatia (Dubrovnik and road trip) - landscape, town and sea.

4) Croatia - lakes and waterfalls (similar style to 3 - just need to break them apart due to amount of photos taken)

Glad you has a good trip

Thanks. As you've also experienced it I wonder if it is related to dust getting between connecters under the lens on/off switch? I also wondered if it just overheats and the X10 throws a mood until she cools back down. I tried to figure a logical link with the issue and its use but I can only report it as intermittent.

Will surely report straight back as soon as I get a response.

souldeep said:
Thanks. As you've also experienced it I wonder if it is related to dust getting between connecters under the lens on/off switch? I also wondered if it just overheats and the X10 throws a mood until she cools back down. I tried to figure a logical link with the issue and its use but I can only report it as intermittent.

Will surely report straight back as soon as I get a response.

Defiantly not a heat or dust thing, mine has no dust in or around the lens and has only done it old a cold start. Had only done it twice and was in a used battery, never on a newly charged one. I just thought it was the power on start up exceeding what the battery could deliver.

Looks like Steves review has had an issue with the camera not turning on and have put it down to operating the on/off switch too fast.

I have also had on/off problems and have spoken to Fuji about it.
In all cases reformatting the card fixed it.

Maybe worth a try?

My X10 arrived a couple of days ago and i've been having a play.:banana::woot:

Very impressed so far!

No signs of orbs yet, i've been hunting shiny surfaces. Are there any good 'short cuts' to try and force them?:thinking:

Fingers crossed I've got a good un! :woot:

John

Maybe worth a try?

Ive had the power on problem quite a bit, i found it more annoying than the orbs! hopefully they might sort that out too with the replacement. Formatting the card isnt really a solution is it if you have half a days worth of shots on there, and you have to turn the camera on in the first place to be able to format it.

Looks like Steves review has had an issue with the camera not turning on and have put it down to operating the on/off switch too fast.

Trust me when I say I tried everything including turning it slowly. If I turned it very slowly back to the off position it would flash the LCD for a 100th of a second. I would try and hold it in exactly the position that flashed the LCD but it still went off.

Maybe worth a try?

Thanks but...

Fuji told me they had never heard of the problem on the X10 :naughty:

Clearly from this thread I can see it is actually a common issue :(

Not a solution I'm afraid - when on holiday with 20GB of photos on a card I would not accept a Fuji solution that suggests reformatting a card :bang:

Ive had the power on problem quite a bit, i found it more annoying than the orbs! hopefully they might sort that out too with the replacement. Formatting the card isnt really a solution is it if you have half a days worth of shots on there, and you have to turn the camera on in the first place to be able to format it.

Agreed and I'll share the outcome of Fuji's investigation.

The on/off problem I've found is easy to sort.
Turn off the X10, then slowly count '1... Banana, 2... Banana, 3... Banana' and turn back on.
Never had an on/off problem that didn't fix - though it looks like there may be another I haven't had yet!

I've just received my padded box to sent my X10 to Fuji for the sensor replacement............but no instructions at all! Do I need to send anything else apart from the camera - receipt? contact details? etc

Tried ringing but being put on hold.........thought I might get a quicker response on here:)

Glad you has a good trip

I've just received my padded box to sent my X10 to Fuji for the sensor replacement............but no instructions at all! Do I need to send anything else apart from the camera - receipt? contact details? etc

Tried ringing but being put on hold.........thought I might get a quicker response on here:)

Just empty the camera (battery, memory card etc), leave lens cap on and put in the provided bubble wrap, then into the box and into the bag and take to the post office for reciept. The info is all recorded against the order number on the delivery bag.

Just empty the camera (battery, memory card etc), leave lens cap on and put in the provided bubble wrap, then into the box and into the bag and take to the post office for reciept. The info is all recorded against the order number on the delivery bag.

Isn't TP and it's members great? I knew someone would help out soon(y) Thanks very much mate:)

Well I emailed about the sensor replacement and had email back with link to click and fill in online form. At the end of which they ask me to send back to them with NO offer of box being sent to me or the postage being paid by them.

Guess it needs a phone call :(

The on/off problem I've found is easy to sort.
Turn off the X10, then slowly count '1... Banana, 2... Banana, 3... Banana' and turn back on.
Never had an on/off problem that didn't fix - though it looks like there may be another I haven't had yet!

Effectively that's what I've done too, on the few occasions it's happened. I can confirm you don't need to actually mention bananas out loud;).

Well I emailed about the sensor replacement and had email back with link to click and fill in online form. At the end of which they ask me to send back to them with NO offer of box being sent to me or the postage being paid by them.

Guess it needs a phone call :(

Just called (0844 553 2322) and call answered instantly!!

The guy said there shouldn't have been the online form for me to fill in. He's cancelled it and said he would send out the packaging like others have been sent.

He also said they would look at my suspicions of a screen protector being fitted as my earlier post. He said there could have been a very thin one. I hope so as my screen does look poorly finished.

Bloody hard work owning an X10 never had this with my old Panasonic TZ8 :cool:

Last edited:
Box arrived this morning, will post this afternoon.
Bit like sending a child to school on their first day........
Worry... worry....worry.

Box arrived this morning, will post this afternoon.
Bit like sending a child to school on their first day........
Worry... worry....worry.

Same for me. I just closed my eyes and sent it off keeping everything crossed! :)

Maybe worth a try?

Note,
I have been informed that, If one dismounts ones card or camera from ones computer or reader incorrectly, then one may experience a prolonged start when switching on said camera.
Hence the recommendation to format the problem card.
It is recommended to use the safe removal option where available.
Yet to be tested by one.

Got my padded box this morning :) has anyone here got there's back yet ? How long does it typically take ? On the subject of the power on issue, I had something similar, on power on, the LCD screen would come on, but I could do nothing with the camera, the led on back blinked orange. I took the memory card out and formatted it, haven't had any issues since.

I got the packaging and a letter confirming the camera would be repaired and returned to me within a "short while", on Thursday 31st May.
I sent mine off Wednesday 6th June. They got it Thursday 7th( RMSD) and I got an email confirming they had received it on Tuesday 12th ):thinking:) and would repair it and return it as soon as possible.
So, they have had it for the week but its not back yet.

Withdrawal symptoms? :( Well, yes......

Allan

Last edited:
Hi all,

In order to get the best out of this x10 I really want to get back to basics and have been looking at 35mm cameras. Upon browsing came across some shots from a holga wide angle pinhole. Found that holga produce the lens for a number of digital cameras. The question is "has anyone got the lens hood yet, where you can use filters? If so is anyone aware of any 3rd party add-on lenses you can get?" I am aware that the image quality will be reduced, but something like the wide-angle holga would be a great addition. I have photoshop but would much rather get the effect first time than through pp. have had a browse, but no luck on the holga for x10.

Cheers guys

I have needed to call Fuji twice in recent times and must say I have been very impressed by their attitude towards customer service. So no need to fear getting a 'brush you off' type of response but there could be an exception to this :cautious:

argh ok i caved and bought a refurb from fuji too

arrived yesterday but i cant seem to get it to stop taking multiple shots

also anyone found somewhere to get plastic cases for spare batteries ?

i bought a couple of the energizer ones from amazon and then when the camera arrived from fuji it had a couple of extras in the bottom of the box too :eek:

argh ok i caved and bought a refurb from fuji too

arrived yesterday but i cant seem to get it to stop taking multiple shots

If you look at the command dial you'll see at the top is an icon for delete and text that states "drive". Press that (up) on the dial and you'll see a number of menu options on the LCD. Select "single shot".

thanks that got it (y)

it said still picture instead of single shot but it still fixed the millions of shots thing :)

fair enough - I don't have cam on me as its off at Fuji but I remembered it was something like that. Glad your problem is sorted. Have fun :)

Hi all,

I sent my X10 off to Fuji for the sensor swop on the 6th of June and have received an email this afternoon advising it has been shipped back to me. So for those of you waiting, it looks like turn around in just over a week.

Regards
Steve

Back