The Official Fuji X10/X20/X30/XF1/XQ1 Thread

Hi Damian, Dare I say it I love Marmite! and I love this shot.(y)

I’m assuming the XF1 has the same control features as the X10/X20

Hi Rhdese, The X10/X20 do have a slightly more comprehensive menu system than the X-F1, but the Sharpening and Noise Reduction part of the menu is excactly the same.

Add another to the XF-1 club guys - been wanting something small and compact so's not to constantly be lugging my DSLR around with me and after reading recent posts on here and seeing the pics people are getting I thought I'd be crazy not to grab one of these whilst they're at the price they're at :D

There are currently a few (but not many) refurbished xf1s on the Fuji store for £110 plus £5 delivery.

There is also a code for 10% off so can be had for £104 delivered.

Unsure whether to get one but if I do so I'd have to sell my Panasonic GX1 (this would be as 2nd camera to my DSLR).

Not sure if I'd miss the picture quality of the Panasonic though, but obviously Fuji has the pocketability benefit

There are currently a few (but not many) refurbished xf1s on the Fuji store for £110 plus £5 delivery.

There is also a code for 10% off so can be had for £104 delivered.

Unsure whether to get one but if I do so I'd have to sell my Panasonic GX1 (this would be as 2nd camera to my DSLR).

Not sure if I'd miss the picture quality of the Panasonic though, but obviously Fuji has the pocketability benefit

I would rather pay a little bit more for a Brand new one, as refurbished ones may have been faulty also

Hey Rhodese, I set the sharpness to medium high and the noise reduction to medium low. Is the x20's menu different?

Hi Rhdese, The X10/X20 do have a slightly more comprehensive menu system than the X-F1, but the Sharpening and Noise Reduction part of the menu is excactly the same.

Yes the MENU, MENU is the same, but with the addition of a "Q" button that gives direct access.

Rhodese.

I must admit to loving the idea of a Q button. Whilst the E-Fn button is ok to bring up the small panel of access, the Q button brings up everything you'd ever need to change. No big deal but nice non the less!

Geranium
by David Raynham, on Flickr

Wow, some seriously good photos in this thread. Was that RAW or JPEG David (or do you prefer Dave...?) The gulf between the RAWs and Jpegs mean I rarely ever bother with them, but I'm not great at PP anyway.

Aside from that though, I love my little XF1. I can't think of another camera (and I've owned a few) that has been so consistently pleasing with it's output.

20140416-DSCF0861.jpg by deprivedofsleep, on Flickr

20140416-DSCF0960.jpg by deprivedofsleep, on Flickr

20140416-DSCF1141.jpg by deprivedofsleep, on Flickr

Hi there @deprivedofsleep. Welcome to the forum and to the baby X thread! If you look on the previous page at post #1236 you will see a trio of images that i took, SOOC RAW, SOOC JPEG and the a processed RAW file. A lot of members of this thread prefer to shoot JPEG as Fuji makes a real nice job of them, but I'm in the minority of XF1 RAW shooters. I love PP (only basic stuff though!!) so i want the biggest file i can get from the camera with as much data as possible to manipulate.

You have posted three nice images, nothing to not like about any of them! Love the first!

Oh, and you can call me whatever you want, i usually respond to most things. :D

Ta, I've had a quick skip through the thread, must have missed your RAW/JPEG comparison so will look again.

Happy processing RAWs from my D3100 since I'm not overly fussed on the ooc jpegs anyway, but as you say Fuji have some kind of mojo when it comes to jpegs.

OK, went to see PINS and Jon Spencer Blues Explosion last night in Manchester. I do a lot of gig photography so I emailed the venue last week to see if they'd mind me taking pictures. They said no, so no chance of getting my DSLR in. Thought I'd give it a go on the X-F1 and see how it handled it.
Manual, 1600 ISO, wide open. Not too shabby, TBH, it was bloody dark in there.
20140510-DSCF4068-Edit.jpg by landwomble, on Flickr

20140510-DSCF4050-Edit-Edit.jpg by landwomble, on Flickr
20140510-DSCF4174.jpg by landwomble, on Flickr

Pretty much stuck with using the wide end for the aperture, and focus is a challenge. All shot in RAW and used LR5's camera profile for Fuji Monochrome for the conversions as it's better than Silver Efex for these. A bit of Dfine2 for noise reduction, too.

Dfine2 is part of the Nik suite which is great and also works as a LR/PS plugin. Dfine is the NR software and yes, it's brilliant. It also includes Silver Efex for B&W conversion (again, brilliant) and others.
I really don't like the in-camera NR particularly at high ISO.
The in-camera RAW conversion is excellent but it's a PITA doing a lot of them. Now I'm on LR5, which seems to read the RAW files of the X-Trans sensor much better than 4 did, I'm shooting RAW only and I use the Fuji film simulation (Velvia, Provia, Monochrome etc) within LR which gives you the best of both worlds.
So far based on last night's pictures, the Fuji Monochrome conversion profile in LR gave me the best results compared to LR's own B&W conversion and also the venerable Silver Efex. It's damn good.

Last night did show up a few shortcomings of the X-F1 - manual focus isn't really practical with moving subjects as the controls are fiddly.
Once or twice in manual mode (jog dial on back for shutter, thumb wheel for aperture) it wouldn't switch shutter speed until I clicked the thumbwheel to alternate the controls and then clicked back. No biggie, just mildly annoying.
I also noticed that the preview of image just shot immediately after the shutter goes off is shown at massively low/noisy res until a few seconds later, presumably because it's a low res preview whilst the full res is written to SD card - suspect I need a faster memory card as it was pretty sluggish saving the files. No real problem, just don't hit delete if your're chimping until you've seen the full version!

Also with LED stagelights, it can generate a weird halo/inverse shadow effect - see below for one from the cutting room floor:
20140510-DSCF4186.jpg by landwomble, on Flickr

This has all got me thinking that an X100 would be a great sleeper gig camera however :)

Agree in camera processing can be a pain if you have a few to do, plus the screen isn't the best indicator of the final result.

Regarding write speeds, the Xf is pretty slow to write even with a fast card in my experience.

OK, went to see PINS and Jon Spencer Blues Explosion last night in Manchester. I do a lot of gig photography so I emailed the venue last week to see if they'd mind me taking pictures. They said no, so no chance of getting my DSLR in. Thought I'd give it a go on the X-F1 and see how it handled it.
Manual, 1600 ISO, wide open. Not too shabby, TBH, it was bloody dark in there.
20140510-DSCF4068-Edit.jpg by landwomble, on Flickr

20140510-DSCF4050-Edit-Edit.jpg by landwomble, on Flickr
20140510-DSCF4174.jpg by landwomble, on Flickr

Pretty much stuck with using the wide end for the aperture, and focus is a challenge. All shot in RAW and used LR5's camera profile for Fuji Monochrome for the conversions as it's better than Silver Efex for these. A bit of Dfine2 for noise reduction, too.

Wow, excellent capture. Really like the b and w processing one these. They are also sharp.

Ta. There's a few more here.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/richarris/sets/72157644620670754/
This venue was really dark, and exclusively lit by LED which is a big ask for most cameras, let alone a compact. Was quite liberating not pointing a large DSLR at the bands, to be honest. My 650D and a fast lens would have made a better job of it, but this little thing is really quite surprising. The Fuji monochrome simulation is really, really nice too.
I'm eyeing up X-E1's and X100's on the bay at the moment....!

Ta. There's a few more here.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/richarris/sets/72157644620670754/
This venue was really dark, and exclusively lit by LED which is a big ask for most cameras, let alone a compact. Was quite liberating not pointing a large DSLR at the bands, to be honest. My 650D and a fast lens would have made a better job of it, but this little thing is really quite surprising. The Fuji monochrome simulation is really, really nice too.
I'm eyeing up X-E1's and X100's on the bay at the moment....!

XF1 is a bit of a gateway drug to a more costly addiction.

landwomple,

If the XF1 is the same as the X10/20.When in manual focus if you hit the AEL/AFL button the camera will auto focus, its like a back button focus on a D/SLR.

The high res, mono jpegs at ISO 1600, "L" 3:2 , +1sharp, +1NR, SOOC (X10/20) are realy quite good .

Rhodese.

Last edited:
Especially when compared to 35mm negs shot at ISO 1600!!!

Why wasn't 'photography' allowed mate?

Not that I've checked but does the flash do rear curtain? Could have made for some nice effects with the LED lighting then freezing the band member with the flash.

If I've not been cleared beforehand, there's usually not much point tipping up with a DSLR as security won't let you take it in. I spoke to the venue earlier in the week and they said the only togs they'd let in were those approved by the band's PR. Didn't have chance to hit up PINS beforehand about it (was meant to have shot them earlier in the month at The Ruby Lounge where I'm kind of resident) - but I was going on a paid ticket anyway with mates to this one. Compacts and phone cameras don't count, you can always get away with both :)

TBH the flash on the X-F1 isn't really powerful enough to freeze in these conditions I don't think, I did try a few like that but you get a barely visible frozen flash exposure along with the blur.
20140510-DSCF4216.jpg by landwomble, on Flickr

20140510-DSCF4127.jpg by landwomble, on Flickr

Not seen a 2nd curtain option, I'll go look...!

No, not that I've checked those out obsessively either or anything ;-)
Can't find a rear-curtain sync option on the X-F1 although a lot of review sites seem to think it has one...

So I decided to shoot raw today. I only have pse11 and have no problem opening an editing the file but when I save it, it saves as a .dng file

How do I save / convert this ? It's doing my head in

Hi, I just wanted to say thank you to you all :) I've been looking for a camera keep in my work bag for ages. Today I came across this thread... and ordered a fx1 :) :).
I'm a very happy girl :)

:)

They're *really* good. I'm just tempted by one of those Minnnt aftermarket coloured leather kits now..!

Back