The one best piece of advice you've been given...

Just because there are "rules" doesn't mean you can't break - don't be bound by them and think for yourself.

Shoot less but keep more.

For wildlife photography its got to be know your subject, really makes a big difference!

Best advide I've ever been given? Look on the back of almost any box of matches and you'll see it...

"KEEP AWAY FROM CHILDREN"

Don't try to be good at everything, choose a subject and be the best you can be at that....

exercise your shutter finger...as much as possible

Put the ruddy camera down and use your eyes first!

Basically if you can't see a shot with your eyes then the camera is not going to contribute much to the process of making a good image.

Learn you camera, know what every button does and it's effect on the photos. Then parctise practise practise! When out in the field and changing focus point or changing the exposure compensation should be second nature and gives you more photo time and less head scratching time!

I was talking to a friend of mine's dad a little while ago (who has been a photographer for decades) and he gave me the single best piece of advice I've ever been given on photography (specifically DSLR photography): he said "you have to shoot the same subject over and over and over until eventually, if you're lucky, you get one that's..." at which point I piped up and said "perfect!", to which he just shook his head and replied "no, one that's good enough".

This really put things into perspective for me - just how different shooting with a DSLR is from the P&S style I grew up with, and also how getting that great shot requires a great deal of patience.

So I'm just wondering if anyone else has any one simple piece of advice that has really stuck with them, I'm sure there's a lot of collective wisdom to be uncovered!

You're friends right.(y)

The thing that improved my photography the most was the advice to use the * button to focus. It did not feel right at first, but with practice it is now like second nature.

Yes! That is so true. I couldn't not use * button focus now. I genuinely think it's improved my togging.

1. There is always something you don't know

2. Learn it then return to one

Repeat.

Ok that's technically two things but one point:)

amateurs practice to succeed.
professionals practice until they can't fail.

oh, and stay the hell away from children and animals...

'shoot manual you pussy'. Best advice I've ever had.

Whats this button you talk of?

It's the button marked * on Canons. You can assign it to operate the AF separately from the shutter release.

I think that's what's being referred to. Different cameras do it slightly differently, but that's the gist of it. It'll be in the handbook.

If you can see beauty when all around you everyone else sees disaster, dont post your pics on here!

If the picture in your mind isn't clear then the one in your camera hasn't got a chance.
(i.e. think before you shoot!)

also: Edit harshly. If you get rid of every photo with a flaw then you'll only be left with flawless photos. And looking over your work and only seeing flawless photos is a very good feeling!

"You lead, you follow, or get out of the way"; an attitude to live by.

Heard this a long long while ago in Hong Kong, hasn't left my conscious thoughts every since.

If in doubt crop in on the detail.

(A bit like Capa's not close enough quote I guess).

"They call it Black and White - not pale grey and dark grey" as a reminder 30 years ago to use the full range of tones when developing and printing mono. shots. Still left me with a fondness for grade 5 and above, or for a healthy dose of the "S-Curve" in CS4 :LOL:

Best bit of advice I was given was that a top of the range camera will not make you a better photographer.

reminded me of this:

Buying a Nikon doesn't make you a photographer. It makes you a Nikon owner. ~Author Unknown

Back