1. davholla

davholla

Name:
    David
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Does anyone use this? If so what for? I know that June in the UK is not such a great time to start as sunrise is so early, but I want to use it this summer when I go on holiday.

2. Willid1

Willid1

Name:
    David Williams
    Edit My Images:
    No
    This is a brilliant piece of software - very accurate (well at all the locations I've tried in and around London) means you can plan ahead for a particular shot rather than just turning up and hoping- doesn't guarantee the weather unfortunately

davholla and gcgraphs like this.
  3. gcgraphs

gcgraphs

Name:
    GC
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    :agree:

Great planning tool, always remember the 6P's:D

GC

davholla likes this.
  4. ancient_mariner

ancient_mariner

Name:
    Toni
    Edit My Images:
    No
    To know what direction the sun will be shining from at a particular time of day.

davholla likes this.
  5. rob-nikon

rob-nikon

Name:
    Rob
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    The full set of apps is very good. 3D visualation of how the light falls on the land is pretty impressive and accurate too.

davholla likes this.
  6. davholla

davholla

Name:
    David
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I meant which photos, is it for photographing x with the sun rising on it or a model with the sun rising behind her.
    Sorry for not being clear.

ancient_mariner likes this.
  7. ecoleman

ecoleman

Name:
    Elliott
    Edit My Images:
    No
    TPE is very good and the 3D app is a great addition.

Also worth a look is photopills. Also an excellent app.

davholla likes this.
  8. Willid1

Willid1

Name:
    David Williams
    Edit My Images:
    No
    [​IMG]

So this image was taken on 5th Nov last year, this was the Ephemeris prediction, the fat yellow line is the sunrise position and the thinner yellow line a bit later on, just as in my picture.

As I said the software is incredibly accurate moving up onto London Bridge would have given a very different view

upload_2018-6-12_22-15-56.png

Penfold711, Bebop and davholla like this.
  9. Willid1

Willid1

Name:
    David Williams
    Edit My Images:
    No
    [​IMG]
    This was another shot (sunrise from Primrose Hill) that the Ephemeris predicted

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    davholla likes this.
  10. julianhj

julianhj

Edit My Images:
    No
    It’s a fantastic tool that I’ve been using for a few years - invaluable for planning holidays where you might get one chance for the right shot.

davholla likes this.
  11. Gogster

Gogster

Name:
    Darryl
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Superb, even includes obstructions at the location you're suggesting you will stand.

davholla likes this.
  12. bass_junkie83

bass_junkie83

Name:
    Dave
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Its a great tool. I just don't have the time for landscape photography, but have used it several times during wedding to plan where I may go for a sunset shot in the evening and at what time to prepare for.

Also recently used it for a non-photography related issue to determine the cause of failure of a piece of glass and is in the process of (hopefully) settling quite a pricey claim.

davholla likes this.
  13. gremlin16

gremlin16

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    So if it was a toss of a coin between TPE and photopills, which would you recommend?

Tia

davholla likes this.
  14. ecoleman

ecoleman

Name:
    Elliott
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I usually use photopills as I find it a bit more intuitive. They also have some very good videos that explain how to use the app.

I will use TPE if I want to send the data to their 3D app so that I can see how the light will fall on a landscape.

gremlin16 and Willid1 like this.
  15. StewartR

StewartR Efrem Zimbalist Jr Advertiser

Name:
    Stewart with a 'w'
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Sunrise over Eton Dorney rowing lake. This photo is only possible on two days per year, and I used TPE to work out which two.
    FB_IMG_1528882436169.jpeg FB_IMG_1528882561938.jpeg

jiberjaber, Bebop and davholla like this.
  16. holty

holty

Edit My Images:
    No
    is it a free app ?

17. ecoleman

ecoleman

Name:
    Elliott
    Edit My Images:
    No
    no, non of them are for mobile devices, however TPE does have a web version which you can use for free although this does not include the TPE3D engine.

https://app.photoephemeris.com/

If I remember correctly, the mobile apps are around £7-£8

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    holty likes this.
  18. The W

The W

Name:
    Paul
    Edit My Images:
    No
    http://suncalc.net is great when you're on a desktop; it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of TPE or some of the equivalent apps but it's great for a quick check.

shapeshifter likes this.
  19. 8bit

8bit

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    This, certainly the Android app is free as well but you don't get stuff like 3D view etc. For planning that "2 day per year" shot above though it would be useful. I've used it a lot for that sort of thing.

Equally useful is mooncalc.org - in fact possibly even more so, as the moon isn't in the same place in the sky at the same time on any two given days.

20. gremlin16

gremlin16

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    @ecoleman ive bought photopills. Thanks for your tip.

ecoleman likes this.
  21. Mr Pid

Mr Pid

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I wish I knew of this app ages ago - I spent a year monitoring the moon rises and planning for the blood moon to be next to the Spinnaker Tower in Portsmouth.

Photo turned out as I planned but this would have made it very very easy to plan in advance! lol

gremlin16 likes this.
  22. gremlin16

gremlin16

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Mr Pid likes this.
  23. dave.hallett

dave.hallett

Name:
    Dave
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I am still getting the hang of Photopills but find TPE very easy to use. I used it to predict when the (super)moon would do this with reasonable accuracy.

[​IMG]
    The Watcher at the Window
    by David Hallett, on Flickr

8bit and davholla like this.
  24. shapeshifter

shapeshifter

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    It's no where near as good as it used to be they sold out to the mobile phone brigade and altered the interface. As a result it is a lot more difficult to use on a computer.

25. madmackem

madmackem

Name:
    Bob
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    PLanit for photographers is another useful app. TPE is an essential on my devices.

26. Tony Else

Tony Else

Name:
    Tony
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Very useful app.
    I'm off to Ireland tonight to photograph the Skerries 100 road racing this weekend. Skerries is one of the few road circuits I have not been to. As part of my planning I've used TPE to work out where the sun will be, and when , to help decide where to photograph the bikes. Particularly useful, bearing in mind the forecast is predicting bright sunny days (again)

27. Tringa

Tringa

Name:
    Dave
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Another vote for TPE. A very useful bit of software. It was good years back when it showed only the direction and time of the rising and setting sun(and moon) but even better now with the indication of the direction and height of the sun at any time of the day.

While it is probably most used for sunrise and sunset it can be used for whatever you want when you want/need to know how the sunlight will illuminate your shot.

Dave

28. madders

madders

Name:
    Steve
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I must admit, although I have it on my phone, I've not taken advantage of it's full potential. I must start planning ahead!

29. Withers

Withers

Edit My Images:
    No
    Following with interest. Looked at it yesterday (for the iPad) an wondered if it was worth the £8.99 which seems a bit steep for an app. Might invest now ..... :)

30. Giblets

Giblets

Name:
    Peter
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Cheaper than monthly subscriptions which most paid for app seem to be moving over to now.

31. Nod

Nod Kronus

Name:
    Nod (NOT Ethel!!!)
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Seems to be most aimed at Apple products with Android a reasonably close second. Windows platforms are only catered for as a web based platform so only really of use when you're in range of WiFi, although it can be used for planning shots then.

32. madders

madders

Name:
    Steve
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Are any apps still being written to work with Windows Phone these days?

33. Nod

Nod Kronus

Name:
    Nod (NOT Ethel!!!)
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Don't seem to be but there are plenty of Windows tablets around.