The Photographer's Ephemeris

Red pin is where I plan to stand, black pin is the subject i.e. tower bridge. The yellow line is the direction of the sunrise and its thickness tells you how large it will be in the frame which is pretty accurate if you look at the example shot posted above by David.

Yes planned for elevation too... in my plan above the sun is below but it will eventually rise :LOL:
I planned to get there just before the sunrise so I have time to setup and take a shot.

The orange line on the left is the sunset.

I really suggest you watch the YouTube vids from the channel I linked above

I think this person has decent tutorials for photopills
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeQoIyOxQjBik8IWUR4rTGQ

Excellent, thanks. I'll watch your YouTube vid link tutorial. Ah yes of course, yellow line sun, black pin subject. Just one other question (which might get explained in one of the videos),.. those two very thin lines each with a black dot getting wider either side of the yellow line, what do they tell you?

Excellent, thanks. I'll watch your YouTube vid link tutorial. Ah yes of course, yellow line sun, black pin subject. Just one other question (which might get explained in one of the videos),.. those two very thin lines each with a black dot getting wider either side of the yellow line, what do they tell you?

angle of view of the focal length I plan to use.

Red pin is where I plan to stand, black pin is the subject i.e. tower bridge. The yellow line is the direction of the sunrise and its thickness tells you how large it will be in the frame which is pretty accurate if you look at the example shot posted above by David.

Yes planned for elevation too... in my plan above the sun is below but it will eventually rise :LOL:
I planned to get there just before the sunrise so I have time to setup and take a shot.

The orange line on the left is the sunset.

I really suggest you watch the YouTube vids from the channel I linked above

I think this person has decent tutorials for photopills
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeQoIyOxQjBik8IWUR4rTGQ

I've watched the first 3 episodes so far of her tutorials. Really good, she's very clear, detailed and makes it easy to understand. Thanks for that. :)

I've watched the first 3 episodes so far of her tutorials. Really good, she's very clear, detailed and makes it easy to understand. Thanks for that. :)
Think I have only seen or two of her episodes.... I am more of a click and find out what happens kinda person :LOL:
but the ones I watched were certainly useful.

Think I have only seen or two of her episodes.... I am more of a click and find out what happens kinda person :LOL:
but the ones I watched were certainly useful.

Lol, I know what you mean and I'm normally a click and find out person but this app definitely needed some explanation to me, especially as I didn't know what an azimuth is. :D

Last edited:
Back