Beginner The photography institute

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
Hi there,
I was just wondering has anyone taken or have any info/opinions on the photography institute online course? Is it worthwhile? as I would like to get into photography mainly as a hobby but would like to maybe sell a few prints and do the odd wedding or 2 for friends and family?
Any advice would be great?

Taking a course may give you some structure to your photography. My own way was to play with my equipment, read a lot and practice, practice, practice. Good luck.

I did the first four modules of the photography institute course but it was simply too dull to continue. The information is quite technical and at times genuinely interesting. The issue for me was that it is instructional in a technical sense but does little, if anything, to actually improve the student's images or approach to the subject. I honestly recommended that you look elsewhere.

If you are going to do a course I would strongly advise an evening college beginners course where you have interaction with other students all at a very similar level of understanding. With a decent tutor and a 4-10 week course (2 hours a week) covering the basics, it is amazing how far you can advance in terms of understanding the various elements of a camera as well as composition etc. It is alright reading about it and even watching youtube videos etc. but a short lecture followed by an hours practical and a coffee discussing progress with other students worked wonders for me. I appreciate finding courses can be difficult as funding is an issue, over subscribed courses etc. plus attending a college is simply not everybody's cup of tea.

As DJB says above though practice, practice, practice is a good mantra. Though in my case "try reading the camera manual first" would have helped :)

Last edited:
Awesome I start mine in September. Looking forward to it :)

Good luck with the course. My partner came along with me and she really enjoyed leaning how to use our Nikon D3300 so much so that I ended up having to buy another camera during the course as she really got into it. She now takes all her own photos for her on line shop/website. Dead chuffed !

Last edited:
Back