The Photography Show 2016

Is David Bailey only appearing Saturday? I'd rather not go Sat but if it's the only chance to see him I might have to

This.

I'm currently booked for Sunday but am contemplating going on Saturday too to maximise what I see. TBH the issue isn't the cost of the ticket but the additional extortionate parking fees. May park at the station and walk across, it's half the price.

Those of us going need to organise meeting up, lunch at the Wetherspoons perhaps? :)

I am hoping there is a decent discount on the GX8!

There are usually some decent offers at the show but then these are relative to standard UK prices rather than the best online UK deals or grey imports.

For the last two years Canon have offered double the current cashback offers for sales at the show so they may well do this again. Last year this amounted to £500 off a 5D3 which brought it down to close to grey prices.

@JonnyS if we registered and passed vetting as pro in previous years do we have to go through it again this year or will a pass or email turn up like it did last year?

You still have to say you would like to come again (you should have had an email). We don't automatically send badges out to previous attendees. Let me know if you need any more help.

Is David Bailey only appearing Saturday? I'd rather not go Sat but if it's the only chance to see him I might have to
Hi Phil. He is only there on Saturday I am afraid. We have already sold 250 tickets to see him (capacity is 500) so I am afraid you will need to make a decision sooner rather than later. Have you also seen the Capture Birmingham stuff taking place over the weekend?

I always miss out on the meetup due to being stuck on the stand :(

Well, depending on how late people can stay (I'm local but appreciate others may have a distance to travel) we could maybe arrange an evening meetup after the show finishes.

Much the same here, but both on the Saturday - MCM Comic Con with the priority entry, then the afternoon at the Photography Show.
We are hoping that the ComicCon parade will go through the Photography Show on Saturday!

Well, depending on how late people can stay (I'm local but appreciate others may have a distance to travel) we could maybe arrange an evening meetup after the show finishes.

At least with Resorts World opening you have a bit more choice other than Wetherspoons!! The Worlds Bar has some good deals on buckets of beers.

This.

I'm currently booked for Sunday but am contemplating going on Saturday too to maximise what I see. TBH the issue isn't the cost of the ticket but the additional extortionate parking fees. May park at the station and walk across, it's half the price.

Yep. A common trick and worth doing. Car park pricing is the NEC's bag I am afraid.

Well, providing my evenings aren't already accounted for, I may be able to join you

Maybe we can sort something out one evening. I'm fairly flexible as I'm local anyway but depends what others are doing. May not be viable but, if a few of us are going to be at the show anyway, seems daft not to try to meet up if we can :)

Signed up for Steve Walton's "dawn over Pendigo Lake" workshop at omg-o'clock on the Sunday morning. Only a fiver so thought it might be interesting and I'm there anyway so I'll just grab some breakfast afterward before heading in to the show.

Anyone else?

Just to let you know that David Bailey tickets have been flying out the door and he has sold 400/500. If you are keen to see him (he's on the Saturday) then I would recommend you book early this week.

Just had a look on the website - are tickets still free for those in the industry as they were last year? @JonnyS

Does the forum have a meetup on each day?

Thank you Jonny - oh, yes - I've had a few emails - should have put two and two together :rolleyes: - wish they had a D'Oh smilie!!

I'll get my act together!

Haha. There should be a link in one of the emails. Use that and you should bypass all the vetting questions that you would have done last year.

Just to let you all know there are just 5 tickets left to see David Bailey on the Saturday so be quick if you want to see him.

I've booked my tickets for the Sunday to see Chris Packham. Just seen the Nikon line up, it's a shame they have planned a wildlife/travel photography talk at 10:30-11:10 when Packham starts at 11:00 on the Sunday.

What kind of time do you need to get to the super stage in time for the talks? Is it first come first serve seating?

I've booked my tickets for the Sunday to see Chris Packham. Just seen the Nikon line up, it's a shame they have planned a wildlife/travel photography talk at 10:30-11:10 when Packham starts at 11:00 on the Sunday.

What kind of time do you need to get to the super stage in time for the talks? Is it first come first serve seating?

Hi Rob. The idea of the tickets is to avoid queuing and blocking the aisles so there is a seat for everyone. Just arrive a few mins before. Hope you enjoy the show and talks.

Hi Rob. The idea of the tickets is to avoid queuing and blocking the aisles so there is a seat for everyone. Just arrive a few mins before. Hope you enjoy the show and talks.

Thanks Jonny, I'm starting to plan my day as there is so much to do.

We have also introduced a 'People's Gallery' this year which is for visitors to see their own work at the show. More info is here: http://www.photographyshow.com/whats-on/the-peoples-gallery

I've just had a look at this and it sounds interesting. How does it work? Do you take away the prints at the end of the day? One of the things I want to look at was printing as I want to get some images printed for the redecorated walls in my home so this is ideal.

Thanks Jonny, I'm starting to plan my day as there is so much to do.

I've just had a look at this and it sounds interesting. How does it work? Do you take away the prints at the end of the day? One of the things I want to look at was printing as I want to get some images printed for the redecorated walls in my home so this is ideal.

Hi Rob
You submit your image to Loxley who print it and we put it up in the gallery on the right day (separate season each day). End of the day you can take it home with you.
Jonny

Hi Rob
You submit your image to Loxley who print it and we put it up in the gallery on the right day (separate season each day). End of the day you can take it home with you.
Jonny
Sounds good, I have an image that I would like to print and works with the 'summer season theme' on the Sunday I'm visiting.

I've never been before, so what are the quietest days to go?

Hiya. In order of quietest first Tuesday, Sunday, Saturday and then Monday. There's not a lot in Saturay and Sunday. In 2014 Sunday was busier and in 2015 Saturday was.

I'm the same with the talks - work out which ones I want to see and then make sure I arrive early enough to get a good seat. I fill in the time in between wandering around the show.

I'm the same with the talks - work out which ones I want to see and then make sure I arrive early enough to get a good seat. I fill in the time in between wandering around the show.

Just FYI we have added more seats to the popular Behind the Lens, Video and Adobe theatres. Canon also have their own stage this year. Nikon have announced their line up too (drop down on the exhibitors tab on the website).

Ah, I notied the Nikon stage on the events but not the Canon one - are their events listed there or did I just miss them?

Canon do need to step their game up on the stand. I remember going back in 2012, shortly after the 5D3 was announced and, as a CPS member, had a one-hour preview/demonstration/hands-on with it in a private room round the back of the stand. They don't seem to go in for that kind of thing any more. It's also annoying that, whilst they have plenty of new lenses to fondle, you're not allowed to try the lenses on your body to take some test snaps (kind of understandable from a security point of view) or even put your own memory card in their bodies to take a few test snaps.

Basically Canon don't seem that committed to this show lately. I think they didn't even bother showing up one year.

Think I'm going on the Monday again. Mind you last year it was mad on the Monday, although several people I'd like to see I've noticed are speaking on the weekend days :(

You'd have thought the weekdays would be quieter than the weekend but apparently this isn't the case due to the influx of pros on the Mon/Tue, presumably as some are working at the weekends and many figure the weekdays will be quieter generally as this is often the case for big shows.

Back