The Photography Show 2020

Tis sad, but very understandable and those who were in two minds about did they go or not, now have the decision made for them...

The photography Show has said, you can either transfer your ticket to September, or have a refund. I ponder what will happen with those of us who's paid up front for our parking, as you this part you pay the NEC....

Sept sounds optimistic to me, I guess they are hoping that the coronavirus has peaked and that exhibitors can reschedule. I doubt both.

The upside is the Saturday speaker lineup was looking weak compared to Sun-Tue. Maybe I'll get luckier with the rescheduled line-up...
That’s always the way. There are always talks I’d like to go to on the days I don’t go. With the tickets bring any day I’d booked a room for the Sunday night and was going to go on either Sunday or Monday depending on what had the better speaker options. It will be interesting to see if they can get the same speakers as it’s possible some photographers will have September already booked up.

Breaking ! Photography show has now been postponed until September 2020. Its come from Facebook page LPOTY.

Ticket can be transferred to the new show date, so no big deal. Plus you can obtain a refund if you can't make the new date
Oh yeah I'm not really worried about that. It's just frustrating but I get that it's for the best ultimately.

It's disappointing but I think they're making the best of a bad situation with this decision.

Damn! I literally just bought my tickets today too!
You still wanting to go to such a crowded event despite what is happening all around you? Granted if you was wanting to go a month ago but now?

Who in there right mind would decide to book and go on a busy event...

Its time the government put a stop to all large gathering events and sports

Saw it coming

I was havering about whether to go, and how to travel.

this move doesn’t surprise me at all. This is serious, and tbh it p***es me off greatly that there are people saying it isn’t.

I think that is sensible move, or maybe one where there was no choice due to some new regulations being rolled out. Now I don't have to be tearing myself apart over this.

Hopefully whatever discounts were due for the show will be now manifest on the retailer's websites :) Perhaps its a too wishful thinking.

I think that is sensible move, or maybe one where there was no choice due to some new regulations being rolled out. Now I don't have to be tearing myself apart over this.
It’s not exactly the same but the all England badminton championship is happening at Birmingham arena from 11th to 15th March. That’s not been cancelled yet.

I think part of the cancellation of the photography show will likely be over the commercial viability of the event at this point in time. The part of their statement, ‘the show would be negatively impacted from all perspectives should we have proceeded’, highlights the negative impact to the show which ultimately would be financial too.

You only have to had to be there on the Sunday a couple of years ago to see how the snow affected the event and reduced attendance. Before todays cancellation a large number of people weren’t thinking of going, that would have a big impact on the viability of the show. By cancelling until September they are hoping attendance will be better. Having one day affected is bad enough but reduced attendance over all 4 days would potentially cause financial viability issues for this How and future shows.

Last edited:
Think some of your are going OTT. Yes it’s not great but if you look at the spread of the flu each year it’s probably exactly the same. The media decide how panicked people get.

Here you go:

https://BANNED/silviast9/status/12 ... 96129?s=20

You say: "if you look at the spread of the flu each year it’s probably exactly the same."
Ah, I get it - Italy is closed every year. China imposes its form of martial Law every year.

Yup - you are right, It is the same every year.

Get real.

It’s not exactly the same but the all England badminton championship is happening at Birmingham arena from 11th to 15th March. That’s not been cancelled yet.

I think part of the cancellation of the photography show will likely be over the commercial viability of the event at this point in time. The part of their statement, ‘the show would be negatively impacted from all perspectives should we have proceeded’, highlights the negative impact to the show which ultimately would be financial too.

You only have to had to be there on the Sunday a couple of years ago to see how the snow affected the event and reduced attendance. Before todays cancellation a large number of people weren’t thinking of going, that would have a big impact on the viability of the show. By cancelling until September they are hoping attendance will be better. Having one day affected is bad enough but reduced attendance over all 4 days would potentially cause financial viability issues for this How and future shows.
I was there when it snowed, it was comfortable and interesting. I've been there when it had been very busy. Uncomfortable and challenging.

Commercial viability of events like this will have been an issue for a while now. You can see that in what exhibitors attend, and what is on offer. I'm not sure whether we, as a society, ever look at gains and losses in a subjective way. Currently the mass aim appears to be to to save money - look at the rise of grey suppliers. Price is the market leader. Trouble is that focussing on price ends up in a low information economy. What we love (photography) thrives on information and knowledge, but we don't want to pay for it.

@TGphoto
Another Italian medic. (might have to click show this thread)

View: https://BANNED/jasonvanschoor/status/1237142891077697538

Watch out for this virus, it lurks everywhere, I think I got it from my computer. I took the covers off, put it on my bench and blew the dust out with my mini compressor. Now I can't stop sneezing, bloody virus. I survived ebola many times in the past few years though, the girls I know are saying it's man flu, but I know better!

I’m guessing it’s also due to a show like this has all visitors moving around visiting many of the vendors and handling equipment and even though paying by card you are handed a machine to enter pin and hand it back again another contact point, the badminton although people move you are move fixed in seating watching so not risking the athletes or are large a number of people as the show, imagine one person walking round the show hall coughing and sneezing

You still wanting to go to such a crowded event despite what is happening all around you? Granted if you was wanting to go a month ago but now?

Who in there right mind would decide to book and go on a busy event...

Its time the government put a stop to all large gathering events and sports

Would that be a crowded space similar to an underground train, railway station or supermarket.
You will worry yourself to death at this rate, just calm down a bit.

I think it was likely that they looked at their audience demographic and realised it was in the upper age bracket.
These are the people more at risk and therefore less likely to go, oh well September it is then.

Think some of your are going OTT. Yes it’s not great but if you look at the spread of the flu each year it’s probably exactly the same. The media decide how panicked people get.
They are not concerned about the healthy person but for standard influenza At least 60% of people at risk are vaccinated ever year, for corvid-19 there is no vaccine so 100% of people at risk to more serious symptoms are at risk and that’s a big number of people, yes a lot of press hype and worry but governments worldwide do not take the decisions they are making likely knowing the economic impact it’s going to have

Last edited:
Would that be a crowded space similar to an underground train, railway station or supermarket.

I think it was likely that they looked at their audience demographic and realised it was in the upper age bracket.
These are the people more at risk and therefore less likely to go, oh well September it is then.

this as well as duty of care to the employees on the stands, I’m sure the manufacturers employees were giving some strong feedback about having to go and work there next week

this as well as duty of care to the employees on the stands, I’m sure the manufacturers employees were giving some strong feedback about having to go and work there next week

Can't blame them, i'm sure for many it was a big departure from their usual roles in far less public places.
I wonder if the show organisers had cancellation insurance?

All this is very hard for those involved from a financial point of view.
Can see how people want prepaid hotel money refunded, but those businesses have staff and bills to pay too

Last edited:
You also have to wonder how much they were hearing from speakers/exhibitors who were not going to be able to attend.

As to the virus itself, the WHO recently gave a global mortality rate of 3.4%. Flu is 0.1%. If we did nothing and let it spread as widely as flu, that could be 20M deaths.

edit; Italy it currently reporting mortality at 5-6%.

Last edited:

Qualification of the Olympic Games 2020 will be based on the BWF Ranking list to be published on April 30, 2020. The all england is one of three Super 1000 world events meaning more ranking points available to the winners. There’s probably your answer why (assuming the Olympics still goes ahead)

Having attended the show for the last few years , you can’t help but notice how a percentage of the exhibitors are from foreign companies .the danger lurks there as well ,cancelling this show is just the tip of the iceberg , I noticed On a very large Facebook group this morning that as so far touch wood we have no cases in north wales ,whether it would be prudent to stop the influx of summer visitors by closing attractions and holiday camps

You would be well advised to avoid public transport and unnecessary large gatherings and visit supermarket late in the evening with very few people about.

If you are under 30 or ideally 20 and healthy you can probably afford not to worry too much. On the other hand over 60s and those with health issues should evidently run for the hills now

You would be well advised to avoid public transport and unnecessary large gatherings and visit supermarket late in the evening with very few people about.

If you are under 30 or ideally 20 and healthy you can probably afford not to worry too much. On the other hand over 60s and those with health issues should evidently run for the hills now
already in the hills :naughty::naughty::naughty:

Having attended the show for the last few years , you can’t help but notice how a percentage of the exhibitors are from foreign companies .the danger lurks there as well ,cancelling this show is just the tip of the iceberg , I noticed On a very large Facebook group this morning that as so far touch wood we have no cases in north wales ,whether it would be prudent to stop the influx of summer visitors by closing attractions and holiday camps

How would Towyn, Kinmel Bay and Talacre survive the fall out??

Permajet sent an email this morning, even though the shows been cancelled they have deals in place to order on line..

Same for On-linePaper.co.uk

Hmm, Avanti West Coast saying there's a £10 admin fee for refunds on a £15 ticket...

Think that's standard although if you booked using the photography show scheme you can exchange them free of charge

Permajet sent an email this morning, even though the shows been cancelled they have deals in place to order on line..
Same for On-linePaper.co.uk

I believe they are the same company or at least closely related and trading from same premises.

It is good to see there will be offers around.

With all the escalation that has happened in the last couple of days this was very much the right decision and all those berating TPS might want to craft some form of apology. They could have waited until today to announce it!

Back