The pleasures of unimportant

NCV

Name
Nigel
Edit My Images
No
Following on from my last thread about the cost of visiting important monuments, there was a second theme that maybe might be interesting.

Whilst in Battle we decided to aimlessly explore the Romney marsh area. At a certain point we came across a small country church, that for some reason attracted my attention (St Clement's Church Old Romney). So we stopped to take a look. It was open, and inside we found a curious interior with the nave taken up entirely with box pews. It boasted an original medieval timber roof, and the whole atmosphere of the inside was lovely. Frankly I found this little minor monument far more interesting than Battle Abby that we paid to visit.

We decided to try and find a fish restaurant in Hastings. Hastings is a typical British seaside resort that has seen better days, But searching for a car park we ended up in the old town, with its strange fishermen's huts.

In Reims everybody heads to the cathedral. But on the edge of town, we came across the Basilica di Saint-Remi. This falls into another category. The important monument that few know about. In fact we had the place almost to ourselves for a fascinating hour or so. The Basilica is at the junction between Gothic and Romanesque.

Now to the point of my Thread. Sometimes when I travel, the unexpected discovery, the small country church or the monument that has somehow escaped the guide books, is far more interesting and pleasurable to visit, compared to the places that have a certain notoriety and where you have to pay to go into more or less organised enviroment. In Florence, poor overcrowded Florence it is possible to to experience the solitary enjoyment of a breath-taking "Last Supper" in the Cenacolo di Sant'Apollonia. It is not always open, but admission is free, and is an example that even in major tourist hubs the unexpected is possible.

BTW in the Cathedral in Reims they were almost offended when we asked how much admission was, they made a great point of telling us it was free.

DSC_7348 1.jpg

DSC_7377 1.jpg

DSC_9267 1.jpg

DSC_9282 1.jpg

DSC_9518_HDR 1.jpg

DSC_9503 1.jpg

Some lovely images there and quite fantastic interiors

Love the church. That was a nice find.

Loved my visits to the old fishing area of Hastings :)

Back