The Powervision S1 Smartphone Gimbal Competition - chat thread

Ha ha! The rules don’t say you can’t but I think it would be against the spirit.

It was just a thought, i had a day off today and fancied having another go, i quite enjoyed just walking around with a phone and very little other gear. But the weather changed so probably wouldnt have shot anything.

It was just a thought, i had a day off today and fancied having another go, i quite enjoyed just walking around with a phone and very little other gear. But the weather changed so probably wouldnt have shot anything.
My thought was that you could withdraw your first entry and sub another without making too many waves given it’s an informal competition.

Entries are now closed, and judging has commenced.
I do though right at the outset want to thank @Fuji Dave for being the first to enter and get things going - I'm really grateful to you for that.
The standard of all entries is excellent and is a demonstration of what can be achieved with a smartphone. Though we are a still photography site primarily, the kit at our disposal deserves to be used as fully as possible, so think what could be done using our dedicated cameras, never mind drones as well. W ewill run further video competitions in future occasionally, to encourage this.

Judging results will be announced on tthis thread and in a headline Notice. I will contact the winner in due course when announced, to send the prize.

Last edited:
Announcing the winner: @Barrysprout for "The Falkirk Wheel"

The standard of all the others is excellent and it's hard to choose between them. We thought Furness Abbey would win when it was posted, being such high quality, but then a few more were posted that were also really good, so it was very hard to choose. I think in the end, Falkirk Wheel was unanimously our favourite, for the combination of subject, editing and production quality overall.

Congratulations to the winner, who I have contacted by PM and to whom the prize will be sent very shortly.

Thanks to all those who entered and a Well Done for your efforts. Thanks also for the chat in this thread which was all part of the fun too.

Wow! Thanks very much @lindsay Even with the small number of entries I didn't think I'd win when I had watched the other entries. I'm lucky to have the amazing Falkirk Wheel only a 15 minute drive away which I think deserves more credit than my video making.

The competition did push me to learn a bit more about editing in Davinci so hopefully with a gimbal and my new found knowledge I can put them to use.

Congratulations @Barrysprout, awesome film!

Thanks to @lindsay and the team for organizing. Something a bit different for the forum and fun too.
Thanks Tim. your video was great and you achieved something that I tried and failed to do.
I felt my clips were far too long hence my use of speed ramps to hurry them along without losing the detail of what the wheel does, whereas your clips were short and snappy, well put together but still gave us the story of what must have been a great day out.

I way over shot on the afternoon I went out and drained my phone to 15% battery, my initial edit was about 17 minutes long!

Thanks Tim. your video was great and you achieved something that I tried and failed to do.
I felt my clips were far too long hence my use of speed ramps to hurry them along without losing the detail of what the wheel does, whereas your clips were short and snappy, well put together but still gave us the story of what must have been a great day out.

I way over shot on the afternoon I went out and drained my phone to 15% battery, my initial edit was about 17 minutes long!
For the wheel that was the right thing to do, no? People need to see how it works and what an incredible design it is.

For the wheel that was the right thing to do, no? People need to see how it works and what an incredible design it is.
Yes indeed. I filmed the rotation from 3 different spots and each rotation takes five and a half minutes, hence the speed increase on the clips. The first shot showing it turning cuts off at roughly half way and the second shot shows the rest of the rotation from a different angle. After I had posted the video I thought maybe I should have used all three different angles joined to just show the one rotation if you see what I mean. Think it would have showed the same and cut the time down a little.

Thanks to all those that took the time to enter, it was a tough call in the end.
But well done and congrats to Colin.
@Barrysprout (y)

Excellent result - well done to the winner. I'd never seen the Falkirk wheel before - quite an ingenious design. And good to see a few entries made it in before the deadline.

Back