THE PP GAME!

Being a bit thick here Jim, how do I download the RAW? :thinking:.

Rhodese.
Oh dear, looks like Speedyshare has got slow since I last used it. You have to use the "Slow download" button Rhodese, it'll take about 10 mins of your valuable time!:) Perhaps I should use Drop Box?

Had a go with Paul's shot, thanks Paul, nice image to work on.
I did the one I'm posting now and a b&w conversion but I think I prefer the colour edit.

Started with ACR and did a bit of editing there with the graduated filter. It's not something I use much as PS is an easier engine to work with but I wanted to try doing more work on the RAW image.
Here's the screen capture of that...
View attachment 23403
Then opened in PS.
Sharpened 70%, radius 4, threshold 3.
Toned down the green on the RHS.
Reduced image size for Flickr.
Hey presto! Puff of magic smoke and here it is..... just like that,,,
kerry_titchfield_D600-6456 by Farmejim, on Flickr

That’s nice; I thought “Puff” was one of your magic dragons.:banana:

Rhodese. :)

Being a bit cheeky here, I’ve merged them, If this is not allowed I apologise and withdraw it from the competition.

Opened both in ACR see screen grabs.
8822-1414084394-59d6d699246a4e08fdd91dd5727ee1e6.jpg

8823-1414084395-2fdc40dc17ec06817d2a2778f4031155.jpg

Opened both in PS,CC.
Dragged Paul’s picture onto Jim’s, resized to match.
Jim’s is now background layer and Paul’s is layer 1.
Working on layer 1, make quick selection of the subject and the part of the wall above.
With the selection still active add a layer mast (click the icon at the bottom of the layers pallet; it’s a white square with a hole in it.)
Tidy up the selection using a black brush to remove and white to replace/correct.
SAVE.
Now double click the mask, on the panel that pops up where it says refine click “Mask Edge”
The refine edge panel shows.
Select the refine edge tool (brush), tick smart radius, enter 8 in contrast and +1 in the shift edge.
Zoom in and paint around the edges of the selection, press and hold Alt to change the brush to minus to correct any excess.
OK when happy.
SAVE.
Now to make the coat fringe and hair a bit moor realistic I first made a brush…
File, new…. 500px X 500px. 300 ppi. With a small 3px black brush put half a dozen black spots in close proximity to each other in the middle of the square.
Edit, define new brush preset, name it hairbrush, ok.
Close the document, no need to save the new brush is installed as the last one in the brush drop down list.
Now on layer 1 click in the image, (not the mask) and with the smudge tool (It look like a pointing finger) selected a strength of 100% and the new hairbrush selected from the brush drop down.
Click and drag out from the hair and fur to add extra strands.
SAVE.
Now to move the lady to the other side as the light is coming from the wrong direction, this was a simple horizontal flip in Edit transform.
The lady was further edited with the spot healing tool for the removal of spots “dur” :).
The smudge tool to remove the small highlights in the eyes.
SAVE
A 50% grey layer was added above layer 1 to apply “burning in” of the skin tones to the highlights on the face.
The tones where selected from the face and lips and painted in using low value soft round brushes.
SAVE
A 50% grey layer was also used to apply dodging and burning to the background layer.
SAVE
When I was satisfied with the look and blend of the layers’ the layers were flattened and cropped.
A border was added with the stroke command.
SAVE.
Save for the web.

If you can understand that lot your a better man than I Gunga Din. :).

CLICK IMAGE FOR BIG AND CLICK AGAIN TO ZOOM.

Rhodese.

Last edited:
MMMmmm... very eentereztinc Herr Rhodese !?!:)
Good effort.

OK I've had a go at Jim's seascape doobrie - and am not too pleased with the results :(

Imported into LR
Set WB to daylight
exposure +0.83
highlights -90
shadows +45
whites -40
blacks -20

Added a strong contrast tone curve and adjusted just to where the white point clipped H +22, L +18, D -3, S -7

Used the adjustment brush over the town/harbour buildings exp +1, saturation +33

Added a grad (hard edged by starting half way down and only dragging a bit) - the edge is on the buildings. Highlights -50, temp -5, saturation + 55

Finally crop some of the bottom off.

Export as jpeg qua 75, sRGB with standard sharpening and upload to flickr
not_mine-1020293 by PabloRosso, on Flickr

When shall we call this guys n gals?

Gud moanin,
I have had a go at Jim’s challenge, though not as a competition entry.

Open in ACR, auto, open in PS.
Crop, copy layer.
Make a selection from the water on the left, feather by 10 pixels, copy and paste into a new layer.
Flip the selection horizontally using the transform tool in edit.
Move the selection over to the right, adjust size to cover the burnt out area, lower the opacity, and add a layer mask and using a soft round brush blend the selection in.
Zoom in then using the same brush reduced in size reveal the boats.
SAVE.
Add a B&W layer using the max black preset. In the mask, reveal the red of the sail.
Add a new layer, fill with 50% grey, set blending mode to soft light. With low value soft brushes use black to burn and white to dodge.
Set the foreground to a middle red, zoom in and with a small brush touch in the sail of the boat.
Flatten.
SAVE.
Add an overlay of Fuji Neopan 1600 film grain. (A freebee fro DP many moons ago.)
Drop the opacity to suit.
Flatten.
Copy layer, change blending mode to overlay, drop the opacity to 40%.
Flatten.
Select all; add the border using the stroke command.
SAVE.
Save for web.

CLICK IMAGE FOR BIG AGAIN FOR ZOOM.

Rhodese.

Mornin' Rhodese, selective colouring eh? You're brave :) it tends to send some people into a mild rage/rant! I like it(y)

Since it's Halloween I'm allowed an extra, slightly off topic edit aren't I?
Well tough, I've done it anyway, don't try and stop me...

halloween by Farmejim, on Flickr

Yoam uncontrowlabull. ( I did spell it with "un " but thought better of it.)

Rhodese.

Last edited:
BUMP.
Where have all the editors gone, long time passing. :).

Rhodese.

Jim/Paul, I know it’s like trying to push a wet piece of string up a porcupine’s jacksie, but is it worth passing judgment on this, or alternatively, just let it sink into the abyss of forgotten threads.

Rhodese.

Well, as there's only one contender for 1st prize in my opinion, I'll give my vote to Rhodese for his bostin mash-up of Paul and my images! Let's hope we can attract some more entries for the challenge.

If this thread dies a death then fair enough, but given that I've only just come across it & I don't have photoshop anymore, I want to post an image so anyone who can be bothered can mess with it.
Thanks Mark, I don't mind havin a go at that!

Cheers Jim, :).
Welcome mark and thanks for putting up a tester. I’ll have a go with it, Mark is there a RAW version you can link to, it’s not essential but is customary.
Can we take this as new blood and a fresh start? :).

Rhodese.

Afraid not guys. That was just a phone snap & although RAW is coming to Android, I don't think it's here yet.

I think I've got the RAWs for the shots in this album. They'd be a bit easier to get creative with.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/markwalker/sets/72157646880397364/

And yeah, I like things like this. Although as I say I don't have PS anymore as I dislike the subscription model so I can't get too creative with dolphins & such like. I've got LR though & need to get better acquainted with the more advanced options, so I'm in.

Last edited:
Mark at less than £9pm what's not to like with CC. You get PS, LR, BR, + . There's constant updates, and all the tutorials. It was a no brainer for me, but hey each to their own and all that.

Rhodese.

Just the fact I've already bought the LR license. I'll probably get sick of not being able to stitch my panoramics soon & subscribe anyway.

Mainly done with painting on layers , adding grads and masking.
Finally adding a noise layer and then a border with stroke.

CLICK IMAGE FOR ABIGUN.

Rhodese.

Had a quick play during morning coffee and my first go on this thread so please keep it alive.
Straight in to Nik Dfine to loose a load of noise.
Then into color Efex for a heap of contrast to darken and loose the funkiness in the left hand river bank.
Save.
Open in ACR add a grad to bring out some sky and tree detail.
Back in to PS for a spot of selective sharpening on the tree tops and replace colour on the green bits on the right hand river bank and in the water.
Lastly cropped.

Last edited:
Errrm, sorry, new to this forum malarky, anyone know what's going on with these images, I uploaded the edit above ^ and it looks very different to what I see in PS, mainly the upload has lost a lot of black :thinking:

Screenshot of what I see in PS ...

Last edited:
What colour space did you work and export in? I always exports in sRGB for web use if that helps.

I think that sorted it, thank you, as I said above I'm new to this photo forum sharing stuff :thinking:

View attachment 25875

EDIT: Sorry about making a mess with multiple images here, I tried deleting the duff pictures :coat:

Last edited:
glad it helped. If time permits I'll try an edit on this, the pp game is fun - when time allows ...

Bob I had a nightmare of a time with my first entries.
My workflow is now second nature thanks to the help from the lads and lassies on the thread.

If it’s of any help here’s my method.

Download the RAW file.

Open in ACR…Open in PS…Taking notes as I edit to help with a method write up.
Save #1, “Save as” TIFF. Save #2, “Save for web” as jpeg, 1024px on the longest side with the quality as near to 350k as pos (the max allowed on TP), optimized and convert to sRGB ticked.
Both saved to a folder on the desktop TP-PP.

Upload the jpeg to the TP gallery and link to thread.
Link by clicking on the image in the gallery; right click on the large pop up, click on image info, swipe the info and copy then past that into the “insert image” pop up in the thread, OK.

Upload the TIFF to Imgur and link the largest version to the image in the thread.
Link by clicking on the image in the gallery; click on the pop up image, on the large image page copy the page address and past it into the thread by clicking on the image in the tread then the “link to” pop up and paste the address in, OK.
Completing with an explanation of the method used to edit.

Others use Flickr, I’m not familiar with this method as I don’t have a Flickr account.

Rhodese.

Last edited:
Mainly done with painting on layers , adding grads and masking.
Finally adding a noise layer and then a border with stroke.

CLICK IMAGE FOR ABIGUN.

Rhodese.

Sorry, been away from home. That shot takes it for me.

Has all that I liked about the original but looks a bit more like a painting.

Mark can I suggest you give it until say Wednesday evening, that will give others a chance to have a go.

Rhodese.

Not sure if this one is still open but thought I'd have a go anyway

View attachment 25965
River Dee edit by b1g_j0hn, on Flickr

First time posting in this thread and forgot to take notes as I went so these aren't in order:

Import to LR
Exposure +0.36
Highlights -90
Shadows +86
Whites +55
Blacks -7
Sharpening 100 (with Masking 15)
Noise Reduction (Luminance) 85
Post-crop Vignette -24

Adjustment brush on far river bank:
Temp +33, Tint -15, Exposure +0.14

Adjustment brush on near river bank:
Exposure -1.15

Crop to 16x10

B1gj0hn
Welcome to the PP game, the more the merrier.
The method is as important as the image to me, PP is all about how, thus helping others.

Rhodese.

Back