THE PP GAME!

my artistic take on the subject....

6289084274_a71413e7c7_b.jpg

what's the problem anyway? As long the as the entries keep flowing it's no biggie is it? :shrug:

Surely the intended outcome of this thread is that of learning from others i.e. people post their edits and describe the processes they used.

I personally do not see this as a competition where the emphasis is on winning. As long as the thread is active with images for editing I can see no problem.

In this case there was a danger of the thread becoming stagnant due to the poster of the image being offline for a few days so rather than letting that happen another image has been posted thus allowing the thread to continue.

It seems to me that the active members of the thread are doing a great job and personally as someone who occasionally chips in with a contribution I am more than happy with how it is going.

I’d say continue with the train photo the previous photo has served its purpose in that a range of different processes have been described.

Maybe it would be a good idea to get into the habit of posting a concise list of rules with every new theme including a definite time limit for submitting entries and who is responsible for selecting the next image.

The following is a suggestion only as to how that could look.

“Rules (see original post in thread for more detailed rules)

• Image posted must be owned by the poster
• A clear deadline should be given by the poster of the image as to when a “winner and runner up” will be selected.
• Should the winner fail to post a new image within 24 hours or fail to select a winner then that responsibility goes to the runner up
• Image should have no previous PP applied
• The image posted must conform to forum size restrictions but it is preferable that the original image should be made available in order to give people more options when PP i.e. raw files or original jpg.
• Serious edits only please this thread is about learning how to improve your PP by seeing what others have been able to achieve using the information captured in the photo.
• The whole point of this thread is to learn from others so it is very important that all edits posted should have details of how the edit was achieved.”

Deadline for this image is (--:--am/pm) (DD/MM)
Link to larger version of image https://www.yousendit.com/

1EXEo.jpg

Last edited:
Entries are no good without selecting a winner, after all it's still a competition. If you get someone spend am hour on a winning image just to get told "moving on" it would be disheartening.

Continue however, for next time rather than saying "I won last time so I'm putting the picture up", say "I won last time so I'll select the winner".

To leftcurl: there are winking images that have taken ages to finish, do you think those people would continue playing if they didn't receive recognition for their hard efforts?

Indeed those are fine rules, covering what was originally set...but a winning post should always be selected regardless and it should be their "prize" to see what other people would do with their image, as that is part of the learning too which has been over looked.

This isn't just you, it has happened about 3 times now.

Entries are no good without selecting a winner, after all it's still a competition. If you get someone spend am hour on a winning image just to get told "moving on" it would be disheartening.

Continue however, for next time rather than saying "I won last time so I'm putting the picture up", say "I won last time so I'll select the winner".

To leftcurl: there are winking images that have taken ages to finish, do you think those people would continue playing if they didn't receive recognition for their hard efforts?

yes.

To help I have moved the train to a new thread, please move all train entries to the nee thread, sorry for getting it wrong

Sorry to put a downer on things guys, But i joined this thread for a bit of fun in my spare time and quiet frankly have had enough of a certain Nit-picking person (No names mentioned).
Im finding this thread more of a headache now than anything else, therefore im afraid im outta here:bang:

Sorry to put a downer on things guys, But i joined this thread for a bit of fun in my spare time and quiet frankly have had enough of a certain Nit-picking person (No names mentioned).
Im finding this thread more of a headache now than anything else, therefore im afraid im outta here:bang:
understand what you say,
i do both threads one for fun, one a bit more serious but still fun,
dont burn your bridges thedodo(y)

I understand where you’re coming from,I feel a bit :bang: at times, unless of course it’s me who is the nit-picker!! then all I can say is persevere with me I will grow on you. :LOL:

Somehow I dont think he is talking about you dale :D

At the risk of being labelled a nitpicker too, I'm with Phil on this.

The opening post of the thread makes it quite clear that it's a competition and a competition needs rules...

At the risk of being labelled a nitpicker too, I'm with Phil on this.

The opening post of the thread makes it quite clear that it's a competition and a competition needs rules...

Cheers mate.

At the end of the day, a winner was not selected and should have been - we shouldn't skip that part and go straight to putting an image up.

As for "certain" remarks...you wouldn't push your way to the front and call people that moan about it nit-pickers, they are just being fair.

I think as this situation has got majorly out of hand to the point of a new thread being created :shrug:, we should have a vote for the winner, that winner can then get the thread going. Cast your votes and the winner (whoever has the majority vote from the forum) shall post anytime after 12pm which will be closing time for voting.

Well i got my new PC put together, so heres a go. Please forgive me, i haven't Photoshopped for a while so i may have gone OTT:D

PP71111 by Adrian Deans, on Flickr

Opened in Camera Raw (as a jpeg of course, incase anyone is confused) and added some fill light and reduced the exposure. Also increase saturation in the yellows.
Opened with CS5. Cropped some of the left side, content aware scale to bring back the width of the picture. Clones out car and bit left over from the crop. Select colour and selected the sky and applied to layer mask, inverted mask. Put a clouds layer underneath. Added contrast to clouds and church layers.
For the 'god-rays' i created a new layer behind the church layer and painted 6white blobs in a small horse-shoe shape near the centre of the image. Applied radial blur over and over, sometimes stopping to duplicate the layer and merge back down to keep the opacity as im blurring it outwards. Added some Gaussian blur to the god-rays to soften.
Painted some soft white patches in front of the church layer to simulate light 'bloom' an effect caused by back-lighting where the silhouette becomes obscured from the light bleeding in from behind)
Merged down layers, duplicate layer, increase canvas size 120%, shimmy the pic up a bit, created gold plaque using bevel/emboss and satin. Added text again using some bevel and emboss.

Last edited:
I really can't compete, there are some real pp geniuses on here - you know who you are:p

Kinda don't want to stand on any toes, both other edits have added skies and cloned out the odd thing, so hope this offend (other than the bad pp!:D)

DSC_0358edit.jpg

I know its not great, but it was fun:)

Adey, yours is amazing:clap:

:)

Back