The Price Of Fuel.

Dale.

Bo Derek
Name
Dale.
Edit My Images
Yes
I've been pretty shielded from it recently, as I have a car that will nudge 60MPG, more on a run and I'm in the habit of filling it up when I need to, so 600 miles + per tank and unless I'm roadtripping, which isn't often, I'm not doing many miles and a tank can last a fair while.

I had a shock today though, passing our local station, diesel is 144.9p/litre and petrol is 141.9p/litre.

How did that happen?

This is the second highest I've ever seen it, a few years ago, it's was over 150p/litre.

What's it like where you are?

Petrol is around £1.40/litre here and diesel £1.45. I think there’s some increase caused by the recent shortages and some cause the wholesale oil price is very high

price of crude oil is at a high so all fuels are on the way up

Attachments

• o.jpg
    o.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 2
On the M5 the other day. I know motorway fuel is expensive but good lord.

Attachments

• 20211014_104011.jpg
    20211014_104011.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 43
How did that happen?
There was a "shortage" so people started panicking. When it was available people paid whatever they had to because ,well, some people actually need fuel. The petrol companies went "Interesting.....".

Oh, it's also more expensive because the very rich people selling it to fuel companies are charging even more money largely on the threat that it's running out.

Welcome to Capitalism.

Drove past the services this morning, crowds of vehicles - £1.53L for diesel. Went to Asda in the town, straight to the pump - £1.42L.
Crazy prices though, must be a lot of profiteering and filling up the government coffers.
Forgot to say, there was no diesel at the Sainsburys.

Generally around here diesel is 1.43/4 a litre. petrol varies between 1.39-1.42.
As someone said, crude has gone up. In France they have been hit very hard by it apparently, such that Macron has announced a cap on prices I believe and a €100 gift to everyone, drivers or not, payable in Dec or Jan pay-packets.

However, I can easily recall when diesel and petrol were around £1.99/litre back in around 2007 or so. We've had it really good for the last 10-12 years on fuel prices because of Saudi over supply to maintain market share.

However, I can easily recall when diesel and petrol were around £1.99/litre back in around 2007 or so. We've had it really good for the last 10-12 years on fuel prices because of Saudi over supply to maintain market share.
At around £6.30p per gallon, I bet this is one metric set of pricing's that won't be returning to imperial measurements :D

I'm sure I'm not the only one old enough to remember 30p per gallon early '70's

I remember when it hit 50p per gallon in about '74 or '75.

It was the end of the world.
Indeed that was a massive leap!
IIRC that was around the time of another fuel shortage too.
Massive queues at garages ..

Last edited:
I remember when it hit 50p per gallon in about '74 or '75.

It was the end of the world.
A quick google search seems to show that it was 1973 when petrol first reached 50p a gallon. Considering 50p is worth around £5-6 in todays money, petrol prices have remained reasonably stable.

Screenshot 2021-10-23 at 12.58.48.png

A quick google search seems to show that it was 1973 when petrol first reached 50p a gallon.
Thinking back, I passed my test in 1971, so it would have been '71-'73 @ around 30p gallon.
That's a hell of a leap, 30p > 50p what's that? around 80 odd % increase?

I also remember it passing £1 gallon in the late 70s - that really felt like a watershed.
I don't remember the rise to 50p a gallon in the early seventies I was about 16 and obviously not driving, but I do remember the rise to a £1 and that did seem tough at the time.

It's now even better that aircraft now run on solar power ;)
Be at least another 10 years before we see anything from aircraft. Airbus look to be leading with hydrogen rumoured for 2035.

Be at least another 10 years before we see anything from aircraft. Airbus look to be leading with hydrogen rumoured for 2035.
Kind of a whooosh moment I think :)

£1.38 at Asda, It's jumped 9p in a week, My car/old banger which has just died was doing about 50mpg but I'm now using Mrs Badgers car ( she never uses it anyway) this will do 70mpg+ so I'm hoping that will off set the extra cost. I do about 260 miles a week just going to work but is more like 300/400 mile once I've driven about on errands and leisure.

If you have a diesel you could always use cooking or waste oil ! but I doubt the modern cars will like it !

As a kid my dad used to have 4 gallons and send me in with a Pound note I was allowed to keep the change !

Last edited:
Does the price of fuel matter?

Or political and media class want permanent lockdown and everyone to work from home. Anything that requires people to actually go to work (oh dear, how dreadfully working class. Do people actually go to work? Maybe in the North they do? How awful.) will be outsourced to India or China.

I recall 50p a gallon for 5-star that I put in my Ford Anglia in 1974. The prices rose due to the Saudi's withholding supply for a while for some political reason (Israel connected I think), and I stall have the fuel ration coupons the govt of the day issued but which we didn't have to use in the end.

and I stall have the fuel ration coupons the govt of the day issued but which we didn't have to use in the end.
Blimey, yes, I had totally forgotten about those.
Times were tough in the '70's ;)

Gravel fer yer tea? :p

Gravel fer yer tea? :p
I don't like tea, in fact I can't stand it. To the point of,
If someone stirs their tea, and then stirs my coffee I can taste the tea, without actually seeing them do it.

Bloody hell your all spring chickens ,I can remember petrol at 3 shillings and three pence 3/3p a gallon,that was back in 63’ couple of quid filled a mini.
And in modern terms that’s = to about 17 pence a gallon decimal

Last edited:
I remember when there was a budget and fuel duty went up by 2p or 3p per gallon, everyone was up in arms about it.

Convert the pricing to litres and it goes up by 3p/l and no one cares that it's just gone up by around 13p/gallon.

Maybe we need to forget miles per gallon and move to miles per litre :rolleyes:

I remember petrol being around 50p a gallon as a lad (70s), then when I passed my test (1987), it was roughly £1.59/gallon.

My car is a Megane diesel, 1.5DCi. It runs on fumes on a run as long as I'm sensible with the speed and will easily return 60mpg. I don't really notice the cost of the fuel with it being so economical. Even around the doors, town and school runs, it's still returning low 50s mpg. It also has a 6th gear, it little more than ticks over at 55mph or so. I did notice the price of the fuel when I passed the station last week though and I thought, 'blimey, that's gone up.'

I did consider at one point a few years ago trying to run a Peugeot 307 on vegetable oil. When I looked into it though, it wasn't much cheaper as vegetable oil retails at roughly the same, often a little more than diesel and you still have to pay pollution duty on it too if memory serves me right.

I knew somebody in the village that used to use old chip fat etc from the local take aways and restaurants nearby. He used to 'clean' it with filters to remove solids and other things that filters on the car itself wouldn't like. I think there was a heating process used too to burn off other nasties before use. He was getting the oil for more or less pennies but he had to pay duty on what he used but it was still cheaper than pump bought diesel. He was paying roughly about a 3rd to fuel his car this way but he would also run some pump diesel too.

At the moment though, I don't really mind, my car returns the said 60mpg and our other car, low 50s, so it's cheap anyway, relatively speaking.

The knock on effects are what we are noticing more though, inflation and also the cost of delivering goods to the shops has gone up, which hits our pockets harder than us actually buying fuel for our cars.

Back