The Price Of Fuel.

I'm almost £1.60 per litre now for Shell's finest V-Power...gets a little emotional at the pumps. I did expect the prices to remain high after the panic though.

I remember in the seventies the local petrol station getting pumps that you put money in to get fuel .
It took 50p coins if I remember correctly...

I started with my first vehicle (a bike) in 1963, petrol was 4/6 1/2 a gallon then and probably did about 50 to the gallon. But back then that was a quarter of a day's wages. My current car gets through a gallon of diesel every 23.5 miles, which seems a lot until I compare it to our largest tractor. . . I was sitting in her the other day and the fuel indicator said that she was burning through 37 litres per hour on tick over.
And the fuel tank takes 630 litres:)

Sainsbury's Banbury was £139.9 when I filled up the other night, drove passed a couple of days later and it's £144.9. Small consolation is that they are the cheapest in the area!

Sainsbury's Banbury was £139.9 when I filled up the other night, drove passed a couple of days later and it's £144.9. Small consolation is that they are the cheapest in the area!

Isn't Morrison's a bit cheaper? Banbury is often more expensive than Bicester.

The future of oil isn't really a great one. Interesting article which points out how much more energy is needed now to extract oil compared to years ago. It's not the energy cow it used to be. It can only mean one thing. Prices are going up and going to stay up. What's happening to oil is going to happen to gas too so generating electricity from gas is going to be a bad idea. Also with the Russians playing silly beggars it's far better to just get away from gas altogether.

The future of oil isn't really a great one. Interesting article which points out how much more energy is needed now to extract oil compared to years ago. It's not the energy cow it used to be. It can only mean one thing. Prices are going up and going to stay up. What's happening to oil is going to happen to gas too so generating electricity from gas is going to be a bad idea. Also with the Russians playing silly beggars it's far better to just get away from gas altogether.

We have recently ordered one of those range cooker things and despite us liking gas hobs we've gone for induction this time. We will have to get new pans as well but I still think it's worth it as I don't see a very good future for gas at the moment.

Makes sense seeing as electricity is more readily available in Scotland and being renewable is a bonus. No gas installer required either so another bonus. All that's left is the boiler now as we've got a wood burner in place of the gas fire.

We have recently ordered one of those range cooker things and despite us liking gas hobs we've gone for induction this time. We will have to get new pans as well but I still think it's worth it as I don't see a very good future for gas at the moment.

Makes sense seeing as electricity is more readily available in Scotland and being renewable is a bonus. No gas installer required either so another bonus. All that's left is the boiler now as we've got a wood burner in place of the gas fire.

You will probably need an electrician, because induction hobs draw a lot of power and require their own circuit and fuse.

yeah people rant about the whole how eco friendly all these batteries to convince themselves to keep burning oil yet fossil fuels are more dirty now then ever.

The recent crisis has also made heating oil hard to get, with a 2-3 week lead time here.

Today in Woodlands Rd Glasgow - Sainsbury Diesel at 143. xx/Litre

Local Tesco [ normally the cheapest in the area ] Diesel at 145.9/Litre

IMG_7288.JPG
ASDA Price. I still put the same value of fuel in the car, just get less fuel. :( The price is for Diesel.

Last edited:
I just fill up whenever I get down to ~ 1/4 full. Usually at Sainsbury's and when we're passing rather than making a special trip (although I have been known to make a detour on the way home from dropping Mrs Nod off at work.)

my car is in my garage on the battery optimiser it gets so little use nowadays, i think i filled it when work sent me to Lincolnshire about a month ago for two days and it has been to wickes and the tip since, my insurance bill this year will be more than fuel.

I just fill up whenever I get down to ~ 1/4 full. Usually at Sainsbury's and when we're passing rather than making a special trip (although I have been known to make a detour on the way home from dropping Mrs Nod off at work.)
Same here, Costco if im at Thurrock as generally the cheapest around by up to 5p. but im not going to make a 20mile round trip just for that. Independent or a particular Sainsbury if im heading southend way or a Tesco if im Chelmsford way. If not its the local shell which is usually the most expensive of the lot, currently 145 E10 and 149 Diesel

Premium Diesel was 136.9 yesterday when I filled up at Costco.

Just a heads up, I reckon people may be syphoning off fuel.
I brimmed the tank in the Skoda last Saturday, usually it takes 100 miles for the level to fall below maximum.
My wife has done 150 miles since filling and it is down to two thirds.

Back