The Prostate Cancer club

I naturally wake up around 6am every morning and have a cup of tea and scan the WWW for any current news etc.

Surreal timing by the BBC

Heyup mate :) You can only have the prostrate removed at stage 2 .. stage one they do nothing.. put you on a watch list.. stage 2 you get the choice of removal or Radiotherapy... stage 3 (mine) once its started to leave the prostate then no point removing it as you wont get all the cancer so radiotherapy the only option... stage 4 your heading into chemo land :( ..
Thanks for that, any info is a help to understand the different stages and options.

I naturally wake up around 6am every morning and have a cup of tea and scan the WWW for any current news etc.

Surreal timing by the BBC
Just heard that on R2 news bulletin.

MRI has become a much more widely used diagnostic instrument for a increasing range of ailments than the likes of X-ray and CT, as no radiation involved.

Last edited:
Just had my MRI yesterday after a raised PSA. Already have an appointment for 6th November to see the doc which may or may not involve further tests.
I've been to many MRI's in my current role but never been in one so that was an experience. Mind you nearly fell asleep in it!

Just had my MRI yesterday after a raised PSA. Already have an appointment for 6th November to see the doc which may or may not involve further tests.
I've been to many MRI's in my current role but never been in one so that was an experience. Mind you nearly fell asleep in it!

Hope all goes well

So.. I have had a bit of a worrying few weeks diaplaying all the sysmptoms of bowel cancer..did a FIT test and was put back on the two week pathway for bowel cancer

had a Coloscopy on monday and was given all the results there and then.. not cancer.. phew.. But I do have radiation proctisis which is damage from the radiotherapy to sort my prostate cancer out.. done damage to my insides which we knew was possible... so will be sorted :)

I feel your pain - I had the same problem. Quite bad initially until I cottoned on to the fact that certain foods would cause problems, including bleeding! I stick to quite a bland diet now - can't eat fruit, apart from bananas, only root veg, no peas, beans etc. I've even had to give up coffee! Still here though ;)

This disease (all cancer) is such an awful thing that hits so many people, not just those with it but their family and friends. I had a ct scan yesterday as I tick all the boxes for lung cancer and have just caught up with the last few posts, coincidentally I'm on my way to visit the in laws - father in law has just discovered that he has bowel cancer. He's the 4th out of the 6 in the family to have it, (2 have died over the last 3 years) along with my best friend and the guy who was like a surrogate grandad to my girls
We'll be scattering some ashes of my brother in law while there.
The point in me posting is really just to say that reading kipax's story is well worth the time as is getting checked..

I’m fully expecting to join the club eventually. My dad had it and my uncle died with it.
I’m 36, I’ll get to 40 and then see what I can do with routine checks.
Happy to see the positive updates on this thread

I’m fully expecting to join the club eventually. My dad had it and my uncle died with it.
I’m 36, I’ll get to 40 and then see what I can do with routine checks.
Happy to see the positive updates on this thread

Routine checks is the key.. Glad to see people doing this. I didn't.. didnt even know you could :( Catch it early and all should be OK :) takes years to grow so a yearly check plenty enough

Yep, despite working in the NHS pretty much all my adult life I didn't know about routine checks.
It was in fact this thread and seeing Bill Turnbull on the BBC being diagnosed then there was someone from the Black community on BBC breakfast stating all white people should be checking from 50 and black people from 40 as they are at higher risk! Then I remembered many years ago that Bob Monkhouse died from it and he had huge posters put up all over the UK about his diagnosis.

Thing is theres so many national screening programmes for bowel cancer, breast cancer etc triggered at a certain age, there is NO screening programme for prostate cancer that kicks in, its pretty much up to you :-(

Just come across this thread. I had mine removed 12 years ago and fitter now than when I had it, probably due to not getting up numerous times in the night to go to the toilet!

Bloody hell, fair play, they rang this morning with the appointment for biopsy this day week!
Good going.

A couple of months ago I finally sent a photo of a large red scabby patch I had on my leg to my GP at 0830 on a Tuesday. They phoned and I saw the GP at 1130 the same day. The hospital texted me with the offer of an appointment that week on the Friday for it to be assessed. The next Tuesday they texted me with an appointment on the following Friday to have it cut out.

Under 2 weeks and it was all sorted, long live the NHS. (Born the same year as me :D )

Bloody hell, fair play, they rang this morning with the appointment for biopsy this day week!

have you ever had a biopsy before?

Anyone else a member? I could only find really old posts on the subject from a few years ago.. With so many members I am guessing theres a few of us on here

3 days after christmas I was diagnosed with Stage 3 aggressive Prostate Cancer. My journey as it happens www.kipax.com/pc
I am just back from my radiotherapy planning apppaintment.. all starts 30th May

PS its not as bad as it sounds.. well... you know...
I had PC in 2016 had it removed, just took 2 days with one week rest, everything fine now. Those that have it dont hesitate to get rid of it

I had PC in 2016 had it removed, just took 2 days with one week rest, everything fine now. Those that have it dont hesitate to get rid of it

Unfortunatley not everyone has the option to remove... When I found out I had it my first instinct was "get rid" but thats only available if its contained inside the prostate :(

have you ever had a biopsy before?
Nope, but I know what to expect. It will be what it will be, it will be worth it to find out if I have it or not rather than ignore things and hope.

Nope, but I know what to expect. It will be what it will be, it will be worth it to find out if I have it or not rather than ignore things and hope.

Fingers crossed for you.. will be a couple f weeks of a horrible wait.. think mine was 3 weeks from Biopsy to appointment..

I'm very black and white about it all, either I have it or I don't. If I do it's all down to how bad it is as to what I do with the rest of my life. Im mildly encouraged that the MRI is normal so at least theres no big tumour / mass. Now its the biopsy, just one more step in the process.

I'm very black and white about it all, either I have it or I don't. If I do it's all down to how bad it is as to what I do with the rest of my life. Im mildly encouraged that the MRI is normal so at least theres no big tumour / mass. Now its the biopsy, just one more step in the process.

I would agree MRI was pretty conclusive for me so its probably like a second opinion the biopsy .. every chance all ok :)

My sister's friend's brother has it and there is nothing they can do now so he is sorting out his affairs. Her friend's brother had his caught in time as did my brother and they are clear after radiotherapy.
My wife's sister's husband is up numerous times in the night to urinate and he can't go for long walks without disappering behind a tree but he will not go to the GP. His wife and his Mum keep on at him but he will not listen, to me that is just stupid and selfish.

My sister's friend's brother has it and there is nothing they can do now so he is sorting out his affairs. Her friend's brother had his caught in time as did my brother and they are clear after radiotherapy.
My wife's sister's husband is up numerous times in the night to urinate and he can't go for long walks without disappering behind a tree but he will not go to the GP. His wife and his Mum keep on at him but he will not listen, to me that is just stupid and selfish.
Stupid absolutely, I wouldn't say it's selfish.

It is if he has it and it cannot be cured, what about his wife, 3 children and 4 grandchildren?
Them being left with whatever way they will feel doesn't make him selfish. Im not looking for a row about this. It's his (stupid) choice.

Well, that stung a bit!

Sorry probably shouldnt laugh.. but you where expectign it.. I didnt like to say before but probably the worse thing I have ever had done in a hospital...

You might laugh later.. but probably not :)

PS Fingers crossed all clear .. have you a date to go for the results?

Sorry probably shouldnt laugh.. but you where expectign it.. I didnt like to say before but probably the worse thing I have ever had done in a hospital...

You might laugh later.. but probably not :)

PS Fingers crossed all clear .. have you a date to go for the results?

I just had to grin and bear it, as expected, to be fair an hour later and since and all is fine. No pain, bit of a sore bum from the ultrasound probe but have some pile cream with lidocaine plus have brufen and paracetemol.

Results wise, well spoilers. She said I'll get a letter if all well, but anything else will be face to face. So if they ask for face to face I know somethings up. No specific date though was given, I expect a couple of weeks.

I just had to grin and bear it, as expected, to be fair an hour later and since and all is fine. No pain, bit of a sore bum from the ultrasound probe but have some pile cream with lidocaine plus have brufen and paracetemol.

Results wise, well spoilers. She said I'll get a letter if all well, but anything else will be face to face. So if they ask for face to face I know somethings up. No specific date though was given, I expect a couple of weeks.

the MRI showed I had it so they gave me a date there and then for the biopsy results (which where to confirm it) which was a couple of weeks later

fingers crossed :)

It is if he has it and it cannot be cured, what about his wife, 3 children and 4 grandchildren?
What about them?

What about them?
I thought that was obvious?
They will suffer when he dies. If he gets checked out now and it can be treated they will keep him for a few more years!
It is nearly 13 years since I got treated, I got diagnosed in the November and had my prostate removed in the January. If the diagnosis and treatment had been later I would not be typing this response.

I thought that was obvious?
They will suffer when he dies. If he gets checked out now and it can be treated they will keep him for a few more years!
It is nearly 13 years since I got treated, I got diagnosed in the November and had my prostate removed in the January. If the diagnosis and treatment had been later I would not be typing this response.
Deciding on medical treatment that best suits others sounds a bit hollow.

On the other hand, congratulations on your diagnosis and treatment.

Last edited:
Fingers crossed..

I had my first PSA tests after radiotherapy at the end of july and was told Dec for next tests.. Juts had my date for 24th Jan... thats about 6 mths form last test.. not happy.. wanted to know before christmas... wont be as big a worry as last christmas but :)

Well ****, intermediate risk, so got a lot of reading to do and all options from watch and wait to radical prostatectomy offered.

watch list then.. stage one.... GOOD NEWS is your early and will be 100% fine at the end of the journey :) All the best :)

watch list then.. stage one.... GOOD NEWS is your early and will be 100% fine at the end of the journey :) All the best :)
I don't know, i was given all options including radical prostatectomy, no way im going for that, it's not that bad.
Im either going for watch and wait or the brachytherapy, wife thinks I should go for the latter.

Back