the Purpose of Art...

It's when an artist is able to play with perceptions to make something appear more real than it is that the fun starts.

And the next 'but' is that if they haven't managed to perceive clearly what is before them they can't make that leap.

Cézanne was playing with perception, tilting planes and so on. That's 'wrong', but makes the paintings more real.

I had the privilege to see a Mark Rothko recently and I stood quite close, I think Rothko said to stand 6 inches away, which I did and from further back. I stood there for about 20 minutes and felt like I was almost falling into the painting.

They've seemed to move for me. The colours coming forward and receding. Unless you see them for real they're just coloured shapes.

No, but according to post #26, which you liked so I'm probably on a loser here, "this" discussion is "w***y b*****ks."

You know the rest of the post. Seems quite universally dismissive to me.

It wasn't universally dismissive of all art. It was dismissive of the type of conceptual art which the general public might have difficulty in regarding as art.

Steve.

You might be right Steve. In fact I'm sure you are.

Difficult = w***y b*****ks is an interesting point of view though, isn't it?

... is that we see and experience what we expect to see, which, to a greater extent, appears to be true. Art then is there to screw with our perception and show us that perceived reality is not the only option.
Yes, something like that. It ought to have a subversive (revelatory) function - to break through the crust of cultural pre-conditioning, to be called art. Over time we might become accustomed to it, and its subversive value may thus become diluted, but can still be recognised.

I'm glad someone mentioned music - not all art is visual.

Last edited:
Art can be many things to some people or just a few things to many people

Everyone has their own feelings about what is art to them

I regards Nature as true art as it stimulates all the senses, over other types of art which do not (for me)

We could talk about song, music, ballet and all other man made art ……. some even regard a pass in football as art just as others regard ballet movement as art ………..my own views prefer nature to anything man made although I find (some) design and (some) architecture very appealing ……….. but I will not consider certain types of art or attempts at art as even remotely within my definition of art …….. maybe it is man's commercial exploitation of art and so called art that I find disturbing, plus the arrogance that can be typical of an "artists" personally … and this (overly) influences my views and the fact that humans constantly destroy nature.

A bird, wild animal, or insect is more important to me that an Old masters painting or so and so's bed.

Last edited:
... an unmade bed is art if someone says it is (if it is i'm a forger every morning ;) )
No, you don't even attain the state of forger, since you never put your bed on public display. Tracey did it first and so claimed that territory. There's no room left for your bed in the world of art. And don' t you think, even if you've only seen it in photographs (!), that there was a brutally honest narrative quality to it? Art takes many forms.

I regards Nature as true art as it stimulates all the senses ....
I like your 's' on the end of 'regard' , Bill - it puts me in mind of a deep Somerset or Norfolk accent. Sorry, I'm not taking the p*** - I think your heart's in the right place. But nature isn't art - nature is life! Art is a human construct. I think from your comments that your cultural education has been lacking.

You might be right Steve. In fact I'm sure you are.

Difficult = w***y b*****ks is an interesting point of view though, isn't it?

Not having a great day i apologise for the profanity , though not the intent behind it

However the point isnt that its 'diificult' - the point is that its pretentious rubbish masquerading as art - I didnt see Tracys bed as brutal honesty, i saw it as a cynical attempt at portraying something that takes no talent as 'art'. describing it as difficult suggest that it requires higher intellect to comprehend the complexities - my point is that the complexities don't exist and its basically a modern day version of the emporers new clothes ... and true to form anyone who has the balls to say that the emporer is naked is imediately portrayed as "not getting it" in order to maintain the fiction.

Hence my difficulty with the sentiment expressed in the OP - if art is not an object (a painting, a carving, a sculture, a photo a play., a work of fiction, a piece of music... ie something that actually requires artistic talent to produce) but merely the evokation of a response , then a case could be made that my use of the term "w***y b*****ks" was itself a peice of performance art , as it definitely evoked an emotional response ... you can pay me for the performance later, i except beer m, spirits and jaffa cakes as well as cash.

I like your 's' on the end of 'regard' , Bill - it puts me in mind of a deep Somerset or Norfolk accent. Sorry, I'm not taking the p*** - I think your heart's in the right place. But nature isn't art - nature is life! Art is a human construct. I think from your comments that your cultural education has been lacking.

That's just a typo, I'm from Yorkshire so it can get a lot worst than that but your post does typify and further confirm what i feel about the words - "so called" - artists and arrogance

and I would even add "closed minded", "narrow" and "would be" and as you say "I'm not taking the p1ss"

as I said

"Art can be many things to some people or just a few things to many people
Everyone has their own feelings about what is art to them"

it is something that I can recognise but your (obviously or "so called" cultural), education fails to understand

and here we go again ……….. ironically I used to work for a "Fine Art" Company, (which was an irony), but did indeed make a lots of money and that could have been where my heart was at the time …….. but I have grown older and maybe a little wiser especially with regards to people. ………. notice the (s) on the end of regards.

As I have said in another thread, my feeling towards your type of comments are more of sadness than anything else, not sadness for you but sadness for society ………… and sometimes despair for any influence that you may have in the UK today and that's maybe why certain areas in cultural education are completely "F……k.ed up"

If you have any influence in teaching, training or education of the young you are a dangerous man

Last edited:
Perhaps it's time to quote Ivan Massow, chairman of the Institute of Contemporary Arts in London:

"Most concept art I see now is pretentious, self-indulgent, craftless tat that I wouldn't accept even as a gift." (I think this comment cost him his job!).

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2002/jan/17/arts.highereducation

Steve.

maybe he should have said

"Most artists I see now are pretentious, self-indulgent, and craftless and I wouldn't accept them even as a gift."

A couple of superfluous posts have been deleted.

Can the trolls please stick to a proper argument / discussion,
with out the use of a myriad of "*******" again which are superfluous
or find another bridge from which to ambush people?
thanks

But to be a trigger for experience art has to exist in the mind of the artist and experiencer and if the art is a part of a visual trigger for experience then it also has to be an object and therefore requires some thought to be given to its physical form. It's therefore essential that physical art is viewed at least in part as an object by both the artist and the viewer and if not both the artists intention and the viewers experience may be far from that which was originally envisaged.

For example if the artist envisaged Mona Lisa but produced a slightly rusty fire bucket I may just pass on by without appreciating it. My bad I'm sure.

This is often a problem for those who reject art that is technically poorly executed or displeasing: it may be making a statement about beauty in firebuckets, but because it's done badly the result is derision instead of appreciation.

Likewise, the opposite is true: Artists should not be so fast to dismiss work that is not art. I like visually impressive imagery as much as the next person. That's because such imagery has a universal appeal, but only because it requires no thought, and doesn't need to viewer to commit to any deeper analysis. It's easier to look at.

So in a way, I can relate to Eno's words there. Stop treating the image as an object in itself.. for it's formal qualities alone.

At risk of repeating myself, art has nothing do with whether you "like" it It doesn't mean you can't "like" something that's art... it's just not necessary. However, to appreciate an image for it's formal qualities ALONE... you HAVE to like it usually, because the aesthetic appeal is all there is.

Eno's music is a great example of this. The album Music for Airports... not something you'd listen to CASUALLY.. it demands your full attention. You really have to work at it a bit, but it rewards you if you do.. but anyone not willing to put the effort in, will listen to the first 30 seconds and just say "This is sh1t" and put Radio 1 on..... assuming it's daytime, as night time Radio 1 can be pretty cool :) It's the same with visual art. Not prepared, or enjoy being challenged.... then you'll not really get it.

In one of the other threads that became quite heated it wasn't that the OP wasn't thinking about things (possibly too much the opposite) but that the polarisation they felt was being jacked up higher and higher with every comment in the thread until they exploded.

... then a case could be made that my use of the term "w***y b*****ks" was itself a peice of performance art , as it definitely evoked an emotional response ... you can pay me for the performance later, i except beer m, spirits and jaffa cakes as well as cash.
I grant that you're an artist on your own terms, but if you 'except' the modes of payment stated, how can we pay you? And shouldn't this be in the 'classifieds'?

"Most artists I see now are pretentious, self-indulgent, and craftless and I wouldn't accept them even as a gift."
Names, numbers and considered reasons might be welcome to back up a stance such as that. An even better idea could be to accentuate the positive and talk about what product of art you can actually endorse. Otherwise you're discussing nothing, really, in this context. When you say that nature's art I suspect that you're idealising its more decorative aspects? Is that true?

Did anyone else see Grayson Perry creating portraits on C4 last night?
It was a fantastic insight into the artistic thought process and the intent behind it.
That might be good viewing for BillN_33, not to mention Perry's Reith lectures which were both incisively and amusingly critical of the bulls***e prevalent in the 'art world' ...

It strikes me that there's a great fear of cultural engagement round here - about the FFing meaning of stuff, for FF's sake. Whoa. Let's have a chat about lenses instead. Do I need the 57mm or the 92mm?

Last edited:
I regards Nature as true art as it stimulates all the senses, over other types of art which do not (for me)

Many things stimulate all the senses. A roller coaster ride, a really fantastic meal in a great restaurant, falling in love, the moment before death (apparently).. is it art? No. No one has created it. It, in itself serves no purpose other than to be and continue. It's not romantic. WE give it the romance,,, nature is brutal and uncompromising, hard, and unforgiving. It's a naturally evolved mechanism, and everything in it is just locked into a struggle to survive and serve a purpose, like workers in a gulag. There's nothing pretty about it. Sheer chance arrangement of atoms... nothing more. Sure... we can appreciate it, and enjoy... revere it.... be scared of it... etc... but it's not art. It has nothing to say itself - it just is. Just because we've evolved the tools and intelligence to circumvent the hardships it presents doesn't mean it's no longer all of the above. Our smugness will be short lived. However... it is not art. It can't be. No one created it as a means of expression. It just is.

We could talk about song, music, ballet and all other man made art ……. some even regard a pass in football as art just as others regard ballet movement as art ………..my own views prefer nature to anything man made although I find (some) design and (some) architecture very appealing

Liking something doesn't make it art. Sorry. However, Music, balet etc.. they ARE art. They're created... by us... with the sole purpose of communicating, and expressing.

……….. but I will not consider certain types of art or attempts at art as even remotely within my definition of art …….. maybe it is man's commercial exploitation of art and so called art that I find disturbing, plus the arrogance that can be typical of an "artists" personally … and this (overly) influences my views and the fact that humans constantly destroy nature.

Common theme with you Bill this. "Arrogance"? Who's being arrogant? "Exploitation"? Strong words. Who's being exploited?

I've no idea what humans destroying nature has to do with this debate, or your views on art however.. that's a bit confusing, as I'd think someone like you, with your views would be all over someone like Burtinsky then, as he produces his landscapes to make exactly this point, and highlight our commercially driven need to destroy and pollute in a great many of his works. You seem so concerned with nature, yet only want to look at pretty pictures of it. Ordinarily, one could say that's the behaviour of one in denial :)

You like nature so much, then switch off your computer... it uses electricity. Stop driving your car. Stop buying anything plastic... stop supporting an economy based on unsustainable growth. Stop buying cameras and rechargeable batteries, and the plethora of other things that have a negative impact on the environment .The fact is... you won't.. CAN'T do any of that, so maybe people like Burtinsky just rub you up the wrong way, because he reminds you of the fact that despite all your good intentions, you're as much a planet ****er as everyone else. Easier to look at pretty pictures of nature huh? Stare idly at them while the world around crumbles... with your fingers in your ears going "la la laaaa"

:)

One purpose of art is a means of protest... to make people think about a subject. It can influence in many ways. How many events in history began with the burning of books and art? Why is that? If it's as pointless and trite as you seem to think, or as arrogant and elitist as you think... why bother? Surely no one gives a sh*t?

Not having a great day i apologise for the profanity , though not the intent behind it

However the point isnt that its 'diificult' - the point is that its pretentious rubbish masquerading as art - I didnt see Tracys bed as brutal honesty, i saw it as a cynical attempt at portraying something that takes no talent as 'art'. describing it as difficult suggest that it requires higher intellect to comprehend the complexities - my point is that the complexities don't exist and its basically a modern day version of the emporers new clothes ... and true to form anyone who has the balls to say that the emporer is naked is imediately portrayed as "not getting it" in order to maintain the fiction.

Hence my difficulty with the sentiment expressed in the OP - if art is not an object (a painting, a carving, a sculture, a photo a play., a work of fiction, a piece of music... ie something that actually requires artistic talent to produce) but merely the evokation of a response , then a case could be made that my use of the term "w***y b*****ks" was itself a peice of performance art , as it definitely evoked an emotional response ... you can pay me for the performance later, i except beer m, spirits and jaffa cakes as well as cash.
I have sympathy with this position actually. For me, art has to stop my internal dialogue - literally stop the world - to be considered great art. I love wandering around galleries and appreciating the time, energy and skill displayed, but the truly great art inspires me to be more, feel more alive and expands consciousness.

However the point isnt that its 'diificult' - the point is that its pretentious rubbish masquerading as art - I didnt see Tracys bed as brutal honesty, i saw it as a cynical attempt at portraying something that takes no talent as 'art'.

Is this because the actual creation of the bed ITSELF didn't really require any great skill or craft? Isn't this what the Eno quote was saying? That you don't look for the value of art in the actual artefact necessarily. It's just as valid to have very ordinary things presented in a context that makes you think of them differently, or even think of something one would not ordinarily consider when looking at an unmade bed? Why does art have to exude some craft skill in the actual, physical object you are looking at?

describing it as difficult suggest that it requires higher intellect to comprehend the complexities

Yet you do not it seems. Why not present a bed to speak of a state of mind through depression and personal relationship difficulties, and suicidal thoughts. Why not just present the very place you were cocooned while going through such turmoil? I think it's a very good way to make people consider the state of mind of someone contemplating taking their own life. WHy is it less valid because it's not a painting or a photograph exhibiting some arbitrary "skill"? Can you only appreciate such subjects if it's presented in a way that shows craft skills?

- my point is that the complexities don't exist and its basically a modern day version of the emporers new clothes ... and true to form anyone who has the balls to say that the emporer is naked is immediately portrayed as "not getting it" in order to maintain the fiction.

Why don't you consider that this may be something else. As above... can you give me a reason why Tracy Emin's Bed is less valid as a statement because it's not a well executed painting? If you want to go to galleries to appreciate craft skills.. fine... that's up to you, but why dismiss the opinions of those who wish to be made to consider and think about things they wouldn't ordinarily by being presented with something like this? Why insist we're somehow brain dead zombies who will just sycophantically lap anything up and beg for more in some desperate need to be viewed as "intellectual"? Why? Surely by now it must be clear to those who follow these threads that there's something more to our appreciation of art than that.

Hence my difficulty with the sentiment expressed in the OP - if art is not an object (a painting, a carving, a sculture, a photo a play., a work of fiction, a piece of music... ie something that actually requires artistic talent to produce) but merely the evokation of a response , then a case could be made that my use of the term "w***y b*****ks" was itself a peice of performance art

It could yes... but it woudl take more than a cynical attempt to just create any old w***y b****x for no other purpose than to protest about pother w***y b****x. You'd have to explain why you're doing it, and that woudl have to pass muster. No one wanted to see Tracy Emin's bed to look at a bed Pete.

, as it definitely evoked an emotional response ... you can pay me for the performance later, i except beer m, spirits and jaffa cakes as well as cash.

If it's that easy.... do it. Prove us wrong Pete. Write a proposal for your work... see if you can get a gallery interested.

I think from your comments that your cultural education has been lacking.

To suggest that "cultural educational" is needed before anyone can appreciate, understand or even recognise art is complete arrogant and indicates to me that your views have been obtained from "warm white wine drinking socialist gatherings" where cheese and pineapple on cocktail sticks are the norm.

I stick to my words of "so called" - "arrogance" - "closed minded" - "narrow" - "would be" and would now add pretentious

If all the tub thumpers simply stated that they don't get art and have no desire to have their minds changed they could leave the thread. What, I wonder, keeps them coming back to pick.

If all the tub thumpers simply stated that they don't get art and have no desire to have their minds changed they could leave the thread. What, I wonder, keeps them coming back to pick.

There are not many "tub thumpers" in this thread, the debate usually comes down to a few people trading insults …….. most could not "care a toss" and bow out quickly

you are fortunate to have me around otherwise it would be a small mutual admiration society of pretentious cultural awareness

Last edited:
There are not many "tub thumpers" in this thread, the debate usually comes down to a few people trading insults …….. most could not "care a toss" and bow out quickly

you are fortunate to have me around otherwise it would be a small mutual admiration society
I have sympathy with both sides of the discussion, Bill. I've stated above what I want from art.

Last edited:
It's not about "art" Dean, it's about the people

there is more sincerity and genuine-ness in the Xmas Robin competition thread, then exhibited by some ……. it is just that they do not realise it …. because they are "up their own a……s"

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/xmas-robin-competition.563970/
That's your opinion, Bill. It only has reality in your head and seems to be the primary reason that the detractors don't like what is being said. You've taken offense and seem to be defending a perceived attack.

And I'm pretty sure that Cobra said to cut out all the ****

That's your opinion, Bill. It only has reality in your head and seems to be the primary reason that the detractors don't like what is being said. You've taken offense and seem to be defending a perceived attack.

And I'm pretty sure that Cobra said to cut out all the ****

I'm not really, I am "attacking", if that is the correct word, what I see mainly as pretentiousness - which occurs not only in art but throughout UK society ………. and it certainly has no place in the appreciation of what may be defined as "art"

I am from Yorkshire and the suggestion that I may be from "deep Somerset or Norfolk" is indeed strange and show a lack of cultural experience

Last edited:
I'm not really I am "attacking" what I see mainly as pretentiousness - which occurs not only in art but throughout UK society

I am from Yorkshire and the suggestion that I may be from "deep Somerset or Norfolk" is indeed strange and show a lack of culture
Seriously? You're bringing that up? Perhaps you would be best just leaving the discussion, Bill.

Seriously? You're bringing that up? Perhaps you would be best just leaving the discussion, Bill.

Bringing what up "pretentiousness" or Somerset and Norfolk

The first point is what I believe is true the second is there for amusement

I am just responding to what has been said to me

see post #48

but I am quite happy to leave you few to sit around and (pseudo) intellectually pat each other on the back with your "knowledge" and "intellect"

as they say "you just couldn't make it up"

I have every faith in Cobra deleting my posts if they are inappropriate but I do not regard (s) anything I said as being offensive between "grown ups" ……. but I lack a "cultural education" for I could be wrong

The thing about pretentiousness is that it is always comical and that makes the thread worthwhile

Last edited:
I should have stuck to what I said in #25, but it was addictive

How Kristallnacht was ever brought into the debate and alluded to beats me, but I suppose the so called artistic mind can be quite imaginative as it seeks to bring racism/fascism into the debate to protect it's insecurity

but I'll now "unwatch" and leave you all, (the two or three of you), in comfort in your mutual admiration society

true artists always challenge themselves and are challenged

Last edited:
I should have stuck to what I said in #25, but it was addictive

How Kristallnacht was ever brought into the debate and alluded to beats me, but I suppose the so called artistic mind can be quite imaginative as it seeks to bring racism/fascism into the debate to protect it's insecurity

but I'll now "unwatch" and leave you all, (the two or three of you), in comfort in your mutual admiration society

true artists always challenge themselves and are challenged
I'm a little unsure how you can claim to know what true artists do when you don't appear to understand art at all.

I'm a little unsure how you can claim to know what true artists do when you don't appear to understand art at all.

Dean, i don't really thin there is much point in trying to dissect Bill's post. Its entire existence was to try and dismiss those people in this thread trying tohave a discussion about something that isn't technique or equipment related. I enjoy reading these discussion (despite the obvious attempts at trolling they seem to invite here on TP) as they give me much more to think about than most other threads. Particularly liked the original Eno quote and linked 'Random Oblique Strategies'. Also the comment by David -'It's just as valid to have very ordinary things presented in a context that makes you think of them differently'
I'm going to ponder those.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dean, i don't really thin there is much point in trying to dissect Bill's post. Its entire existence was to try and dismiss those people in this thread trying tohave a discussion about something that isn't technique or equipment related. I enjoy reading these discussion (despite the obvious attempts at trolling they seem to invite here on TP) as they give me much more to think about than most other threads. Particularly liked the original Eno quote and linked 'Random Oblique Strategies'. Also the comment by David -'It's just as valid to have very ordinary things presented in a context that makes you think of them differently'
I'm going to ponder those.
Yeah, I know. I try not to bite, but sometimes...

Excellent point. Several people who always appear to tell us how it's all b****x seem unable to keep away, or keep out of the debate.

I think the X-Factor is b****x... and no matter how many discussions there are online about it, I'm not even remotely interested in discussing it.

It's not about "art" Dean, it's about the people

there is more sincerity and genuine-ness in the Xmas Robin competition thread, then exhibited by some ……. it is just that they do not realise it …. because they are "up their own a……s"

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/xmas-robin-competition.563970/

It's always you who makes it about the people though Bill. It never starts out like that. It was the same in the last thread. You don;t discuss art, you discuss the people involved with it.

Last edited:
Getting back to the Brian Eno bit. As a life long David Bowie fan, I really love his collaboration with Eno on the 'Berlin Trilogy' albums, Low, Heroes and Lodger.

I remember once coming down off LSD (a great influence to many an artist I believe) and listening to Low. The hallucinations had mellowed a great deal from what I had seen earlier in the day (bad experience but a tale for another time). While listening to the album I was staring at a poster on my bedroom roof for the Man Who Fell to Earth film. The combination of the LSD, music and poster gave me a wonderful experience (difficult to explain if you've never taken LSD). To me that combination was art.

Getting back to the Brian Eno bit. As a life long David Bowie fan, I really love his collaboration with Eno on the 'Berlin Trilogy' albums, Low, Heroes and Lodger.

Gotta agree there. THAT doesn't happen often!

I remember once coming down off LSD (a great influence to many an artist I believe) and listening to Low. The hallucinations had mellowed a great deal from what I had seen earlier in the day (bad experience but a tale for another time). While listening to the album I was staring at a poster on my bedroom roof for the Man Who Fell to Earth film. The combination of the LSD, music and poster gave me a wonderful experience (difficult to explain if you've never taken LSD). To me that combination was art.

Acid never really did anything to me. Inanimate objects used to move with music... but that's about it. Never had any truly hallucinogenic experience with it.

Gotta agree there. THAT doesn't happen often!

I shouldn't think it does but there is always common ground despite being poles apart. (Listen to me, all profound and that:)).

Back