The Real Camera Company

AliB

Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
No
If you are ever in Manchester take a trip to The Real Camera Company and take money, lots of it, you will need it :D

I had the pleasure of dropping my Hasselblad off for a full service and new light seals since it has a rather obvious light leak i.e. a quarter of the frame ends up white! Time for some serious attention.

What lovely people! had a look at the Hassy, I've also got a sticky aperture on the lens so that will get sorted at the same time, lack of use apparently, probably by the previous owner judging by the condition of it.

I figure it's well worth giving her a birthday, after all she IS 35 years old! So I'll spend a bit on her now on the basis that she will last me a lifetime.

Now, back to The RCC! Aladdin's cave or what? Mamiya's of all kinds 330TLR's ,645's, RB and RZ. Rollies!!! Hassy's, Bronicas and that's just the MF stuff!

In 35mm there's a simply vast array, some really classic Leica's. The guys in the shop are probably THE most experienced outfit outside of Leica itself and boy does it show. I got to handle a little M6...................I want!

Although I might just treat myself to a little Olympus OM10 which was my first proper camera, just for old times sakes.

Soft in the head? Of course! (y)

Really good blokes and fantastically knowledgeable, one look at my Hassy and they knew exactly what I needed.

I'm going to have to get an OM10 since I can already develop my own stuff at home, I have no excuse!

It is a fantastic little shop! :)

There is also another Aladdin's cave (which is loads bigger than The Real Camera Co) on the small industrial estate opposite the Stagecoach bus depot on Hyde Road, they're called PFD I think, they are at Focus every year anyway! Worth a trip there too :)

It is a fantastic little shop! :)

There is also another Aladdin's cave (which is loads bigger than The Real Camera Co) on the small industrial estate opposite the Stagecoach bus depot on Hyde Road, they're called PFD I think, they are at Focus every year anyway! Worth a trip there too :)

Professional Film Direct is the place you are talking about. A definite treasure trove.

ooooh not been to pfd before, I know where the Stagecoach depot is but I've not seen pfd. Time to go hunting! :)

Thanks guys. (Though my bank manager is going to hate you)

ooooh not been to pfd before, I know where the Stagecoach depot is but I've not seen pfd. Time to go hunting! :)

Thanks guys. (Though my bank manager is going to hate you)

It's a rather unassuming place 1 small door with an old brown sign but that door is the door to tonnes of photographic jewels - just don't expect a counter.

Ali, just for your info...

Unlike most MF camera, there's only one light seal in a hassy, which maintains the light sealing when the dark slide is removed, and it's a fairly easy job to do it yourself - you can get replacement seals ready to fit. Apart from this single seal, hassys rely on precision fit between the mag and camera back for light sealing. With heavy use over many years, and of course, careless handling, the mag back fit can need re-adjusting. It's no bad thing that your hassy is getting a full check over anyway, but just for info here's the procedure for changing the light seal...

CLICKY

If you liked the M6 you should have a look at a Contax G2. ;)

I think the RCC is owned by a chap called Jem Kime who I had the pleasure of spending a day shooting (film, not guns!) in London with a few years back. Very enthusiastic and knowledgable chap, and a pleasure to be with, so I'm very glad to hear his shop is doing well - he'd only just started it at the time.

I think the RCC is owned by a chap called Jem Kime who I had the pleasure of spending a day shooting (film, not guns!) in London with a few years back. Very enthusiastic and knowledgable chap, and a pleasure to be with, so I'm very glad to hear his shop is doing well - he'd only just started it at the time.

Well he was certainly involved with RCC last year when I picked his business card up their.

Unlike most MF camera, there's only one light seal in a hassy, which maintains the light sealing when the dark slide is removed, and it's a fairly easy job to do it yourself - you can get replacement seals ready to fit. Apart from this single seal, hassys rely on precision fit between the mag and camera back for light sealing. With heavy use over many years, and of course, careless handling, the mag back fit can need re-adjusting. It's no bad thing that your hassy is getting a full check over anyway, but just for info here's the procedure for changing the light seal...

CLICKY

Also had a sticky aperture on the lens so I thought it was time for a birthday. One body with light seal done, two backs and the lens with the aperture sorted for just over £100.

That should keep it going for a while.

And DO keep me away from a Contax! :bang:

CLICKY

CT are you mad ??? :thinking:

That's a bit of technical stuff and AliB is a WOMAN :eek:

You lost her at the first sentence there, don't you know yet their aim in life is to spend money - however unnecessarily :shake:

I once had a lass wanting to come to me to change a lens on her camera, I said I'd do it for free - she sounded sad

So I said I'd do it for £50 - she sounded happier

So I said I'd put on my Armani suit and charge her £350 - she sounded delighted, booked in and happily paid up (y)

:)

DD

and yes, of course that's a lie ;)

Well you had me until Armani. ;);)

Gosh you're good - my m8 buys Armani but I've never spent more than £600 on a suit - tight arse I guess :D

In London (obviously) I once picked up a suit that was £1,200 off in a sale - but was still £2,400 over my £600 limit :( It was nice though

DD

I've never spent more than £600 on a suit - tight arse I guess

For 600 notes you'd think they'd let the trousers out a bit wouldn't you. :shrug:

:p;)

RUDE, INSULTING, UNPROFESSIONAL STAFF HOARDING PULES OF OVERPRICED TRIPE. ABSOLUTE ROBBERY! I understand people may come to the defence of the "Real" Camera Company, but if you was treated the way I (customer) was, you would understand. In my honest opinion the best place to find a decent camera and save yourself a heap of cash is Ebay! And the best place to find expert advice is the Internet, don't travel to Manchester to see what is basically a bunch of fellas that probably hung up there Leicas years ago sat off in a tiny, smelly camera museum. Photography is about images and much more than having a glass case full of Hasselblads.

RUDE, INSULTING, UNPROFESSIONAL STAFF HOARDING PULES OF OVERPRICED TRIPE. ABSOLUTE ROBBERY! I understand people may come to the defence of the "Real" Camera Company, but if you was treated the way I (customer) was, you would understand. In my honest opinion the best place to find a decent camera and save yourself a heap of cash is Ebay! And the best place to find expert advice is the Internet, don't travel to Manchester to see what is basically a bunch of fellas that probably hung up there Leicas years ago sat off in a tiny, smelly camera museum. Photography is about images and much more than having a glass case full of Hasselblads.

How were you treated then? give us some examples or people will think you are here to help their competition

I've only been there once and although I didn't buy anything I still found them polite, helpful and open to a bit of reasonable haggling.

Why did they upset you so much?

nice first post , things can only get better ( i hope ) welcome to tp

Never had a problem there myself. The guys are knowledgeable and friendly and as Nick says open to a bit of haggling.

Seems to me that some people take their problems with them.....:dummy:

Andy

Hmm dredging up a 3.5 year old thread to have a pop at a company that pretty much everyone else has had positive experiences with pretty much says it all really... quite a first post my friend. Can hardly wait for your next helpful contribution.

Hmm dredging up a 3.5 year old thread to have a pop at a company that pretty much everyone else has had positive experiences with pretty much says it all really... quite a first post my friend. Can hardly wait for your next helpful contribution.

Waits in anticipation :naughty:

Waits in anticipation :naughty:

+1 (y)

I will admit that they have been a bit short with me before, but not rude, they must save that for really deserving people

Have purchased two lenses from them on different visits and found them helpful and pleasant.

They were giving loads of advice to a student while I was there and seemed happy to spend time explaining and answering questions.

I'll be back there soon to get a film body for my evening class

Went in there today to get my x-300 repaired. No fuss, only a fiver. Also got two very well priced batteries and some rolls of lucky 100 for three quid each.

They were very helpful.

Yep, I had a camera repaired by RCC, or their associates. Top fellas and would definitely go back if I were in the area. Great first post... Lol. Frankly you lost pretty much all credibility by A) typing in caps as if you are giving negative feedback on eBay like a 12 year old, and B) constructing sentences containing gems like "if you was treated like I was"

*facedesk*

...Great first post... Lol. Frankly you lost pretty much all credibility by A) typing in caps as if you are giving negative feedback on eBay like a 12 year old, and B) constructing sentences containing gems like "if you was treated like I was"

*facedesk*

(y)

I was excited, on my return from NZ to find a store with so much film gear.
I had ++money to spend, looking to buy a Mamiya RZ67 and a 4x5, but the attitude of the attendant in RCC made me turn around and walk out. I still don't have a RZ67 and I wouldn't pass any cash over their counter based on a poor first impression.
He was a younger fella.

He was a younger fella.

He is the guy who does the online sales and suchlike, i usually see if the head honcho is available if im buying/selling as he is the one with experience

He is the guy who does the online sales and suchlike, i usually see if the head honcho is available if im buying/selling as he is the one with experience

Online sales?

If only they actually had a stock list online I'd be more inclined to use them.

RCC said:
Our stock is so big we can’t write down everything, it would take months. So give us a call and ask us if we have what you want, drop me an e-mail, or come and visit us as we’re only one block out of Piccadilly Gardens in the centre of Manchester.

I suppose sending them an email to ask what they've got counts as 'online', but still...

Online sales?

I suppose sending them an email to ask what they've got counts as 'online', but still...

I emailed when looking for my 35mm, worked quite well actually. You are right though that it would be nice to have a full stock list etc online.

Online sales?

They sell a lot through ebay

I have to say on both my visits I have received absolutely terrible service I went in today to have a look at some Leica lenses and give the place another try after my initial poor experience. And I have never had someone be so rude in a shop. I was trying to ask what they had in and prices and all I received was sarcastic responses and a condescending lecturing over why would we have an item in stock, you wouldn't of thought I was trying to spend a substantial amount of money!

So needless to say i ended up leaving the shop empty handed and I went to Stephens premiere and received the excellent service I have always experienced.

I appreciate that many people have had good service in this place but both my visits have been poor and it does seem in decline, I'd avoid at all costs in future as I refuse to give a business like that a single pound.

Back