THE RHUBARB TRIANGLE AND OTHER STORIES: PHOTOGRAPHS BY MARTIN PARR

car park opposite the entrance, usual extortionate prices (fiver a day iirc), but usually plenty of places weekdays (not sure on weekends, I avoid town like the plague saturdays/sundays).

http://www.hepworthwakefield.org/about/contact-us/

Ta. I'd checked the car park but wasn't sure if it'd be packed out. I'll be going mid week (as soon as I get a free day...) so fingers crossed. (y)

I'd checked the car park but wasn't sure if it'd be packed out.

it's just far enough out of town, and just expensive enough that there's usually spaces in the mid-week.

(Personally, I've got a crappy old car so I don't care where I park it too much, and I drive down the back-streets of thornes wharfe a bit and find somewhere on the street where I can ditch the car, but I'm a cheap git!)

180 mile round trip for me unless I can think of something else to do up that way and an overnight stay. Any more sightings of the great maestro Mr Parr at the event, that would make it worth it!

it's just far enough out of town, and just expensive enough that there's usually spaces in the mid-week.

(Personally, I've got a crappy old car so I don't care where I park it too much, and I drive down the back-streets of thornes wharfe a bit and find somewhere on the street where I can ditch the car, but I'm a cheap git!)
I'm cheap too. But I had to get rid of my crappy old car a year ago...:LOL:

180 mile round trip for me unless I can think of something else to do up that way and an overnight stay. Any more sightings of the great maestro Mr Parr at the event, that would make it worth it!
For Art, the Yorkshire Sculpture Park.
Or there's the Nat media museum
Or gorgeous landscapes
Or Yorkshire Wildlife Park.
A day in York is always a pleasure.
Whatever floats your boat.

...but I'm a cheap git!)
Me too, but settled on a £3/day rate here: 53.6781, -1.4931 (if you're lat/long inclined). Five minute walk and, usefully, the car park fence finishes at the south western corner otherwise it would have been a ten minute walk.

I'm debating whether to go back there again today to buy a signed copy of one of his books. They're not cheap (or are they?) but I know I'll regret it if I don't.

Edit: I've just popped in to Hampsons Plant World in Wakefield to pick up some chilli plants and have a cuppa. It's brilliant. I could spend all day here taking pictures. It feels very, very Parr-ey if you know what I mean. :D

Unfortunately I don't have the time today, but future visitors take note!

Last edited:
I'm debating whether to go back there again today to buy a signed copy of one of his books. They're not cheap (or are they?) but I know I'll regret it if I don't.

Did I want one of those???

Couldn't make my mind up....then the cheap gene kicked in and settled it..:)

Did I want one of those???

Couldn't make my mind up....then the cheap gene kicked in and settled it..:)

I did go back, literally as I was heading off. And I did buy a signed book. Absolutely chuffed to bits.

I've been looking through the pictures I took during my trip and I thought I'd post one from the Parr exhibition. I won't post any more here though because although all his pictures are pretty much openly available to see online, I don't want to spoil the exhibition for anybody (if anybody wants to see any more of the pictures I took there, they're on my flickr). Hopefully it'll help motivate those who haven't got around to going yet. :)

Cost of Living
by Box with a button, on Flickr

These were the books for sale in the entrance foyer. I bought the last signed copy of "Real Food" (check pattern cover, top left of picture).

Martin Parr Books
by Box with a button, on Flickr

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up on this. I saw the thread earlier in the week and visited today. Never been to see a photographic exhibition before but really enjoyed this. I must admit I am not a deep thinker and can't read alot into an image but Martins quirky images really intrigue me. The video showing is pure class and funny very very British. I know these things can be seen online but it was a nice trip out to see the images displayed large.

Gaz

Finally got there today (for the last day), as others have said I found the rhubarb work a little underwhelming, his other work though was exactly as expected.

We took the short trip to see the Eric Soth exhibition at the NMM which to be fair was much better IMHO.

Back