The right place at the right time pt2 (planes)

JPS

Edit My Images
Yes
Some of you may have seen my post last Saturday about being in the right place at the right time and the football trophy - if not then here you are

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=22817

Anyway, the missus badgered me into going out for a drive this afternoon - nowhere in particular, just a drive out. So as always I got out my camera bag and loaded up the car. About 15 mins from town there is an old RAF airfield (one of many round here) and the field is now home to a parachute club. My wife noticed a parachute coming down, (it just so happens that in August I've been booked to cover a charity parachute jump at the same place) so I thought we'd pull into the airfield and watch what's happening. It was then as we turned into the field that there were loads of people and cars - and cameras - and the sound of a marching band. Turns out to be an RAF reunion and one of the young peoples RAF bands were playing.

One guy turned to me and asked what time they were arriving - not knowing what he was on about I played dumb and said 'I've no idea', well whatever they were all waiting for I'd turned up just in time. Just in time that is to see coming over the distance three old RAF planes doing a flypast - all this in a field in the middle of Lincolnshire.....the planes did three flybys and then flew off towards the north. Then the RAF parachutes came down - these are different to the usual club parachutes that they have there at the weekend.

I got these pictures - anyone tell me what the planes are - I can hazard a guess but I may be wrong.

This is the first flypast

RAFPlanes1.jpg

Then the second

RAFPlanes2.jpg

Third time around

RAFPlanes3.jpg

The only problem I had was I had the shutter on too fast to blur the propellers - didn't prepare properly :(

Then the parachutes came down - this was the most spectacular of the lot - apparently the flag was 25ft wide - this was an awesome sight coming down from however many thousand feet up.

Parachute1.jpg

One parachute guy had even filmed it all......

Parachute2.jpg

So next time the wife/hubby says lets go for a drive - make sure you go and don't forget your camera gear.

I could have gone there! Scunny bunny too! so you missed the thunderstorm and rain then?
Those are great spur of the moment shots :clap:

Susane - I was at home when the rain and the few thunder rumbles came over at midday-ish, then while we were out it was pretty nice weather - as the pictures show. Although after leaving Hibaldstow we drove to Market Rasen and it started to rain a bit then. Although just now here at Scunny we've had an almighty downpour - no more thunder though.

First picture left to right: Spitfire (MkII i think), Lancaster, Hurricane (MkIIc i think).

Nice shots,...

super timing! interesting seeing the camera on the helmet, wonder what the shots come out like?

Just an update on this one, the photo of the parachute and the flag - I touted it to two other places, the BBC have added it to the BBC Humber photo section for May and I sent it also to the local paper. On Wednesday evening they published a very similar shot - obviously from someone else who was there the same day.

Never mind, one out of two ain't bad. :(

A very nice set of photos (y)

Try flipping the parachute shot horizontally, as the Union flag is the wrong way round.

And that guys head has got two bodies :p

Luverly set of shots of some very charismatic old aircraft

:agree: with Ina about the neck ache.. 20D and a vid cam strapped to your head... :eek:

Excellent shots. The 2nd shot is fab - its almost as if you are flying with them!

Hexcuze me hoccifer that man has a Canon on is head

I think the RAF parachute team are the Falcons too, if that helps on the ID's!

Nice work!

Is this better Matt...

To me, that looks loads better although I'd be tempted to remove a bit of the empty sky from the top of the image & instead, add it onto the bottom of the image so he/she has some space to "fall into"

Great opportunity shots there JPS, especially the 2nd & the 4th :clap:

What camera did that guy have on his head?
Looks like a 20D to me - what a novel way to carry a camera :LOL: Just got visions of togs carrying their cameras around on their heads now, complete with cable releases (may look a little more odd with super telephoto lenses though :LOL:)

Back