The Shambles in York... a reworked shot. (HDR Alert)

Edit My Images
No
Decided to have a nose at an image I took a while back when in York. I'd previously HDR'd and Tonemapped the image to some peoples tastes and not to others as is normally the case with tonemapped images :)

Anyway, I thought I'd pull this one out of the archives and give it another whirl. Yes it is HDR'd again however with some different adjustments and this time with the gradient map treatment.

779796248_LMJew-O.jpg

Minter! - you must have been there at an unusal hour to find it so quiet!!

The glints (?) of light against the shop façades makes the shot for me.

Superb work.

Cheers all, for your kind words.

Tiger Feet, it was 17:27 on a Wednesday evening :). Starting to wind down :)

Thats one for the wall. the HDR has worked really well.(y) cannot fault it.
How lucky were you to get that street with hardly anyone walking threw, eveytime i went there it was crowded..

Normally I loathe HDR and nearly didn't click on the link but I am so glad I did,this is a real work of art superbly processed and as good a shot of a place I love as I think I have ever seen

Wonderfully done, it just draws you in and I feel like I'm falling into another world. Fantastic.

Mart

Thanks again all. Have to admit it's one of my favourite shots :)

That is a fantastic picture!

Superb shot with just the right amount of HDR giving it a really great look! LOVE IT!

Love it. Mono HDR works great for me. :)

I'm not usually a fan of HDR, but this is subtle and excellent.

I've never seen The Shambles look so deserted, it's been full of tourists whenever I've been.

It was fortunately very quiet.

Here's a shot from later in the evening. It's not a HDR however it's a deliberate longer exposure as someone walked by to create a very subtle hint of something on the street to fit in with Yorks "ghostly" history :)

780240104_AZ3US-O.jpg

Last edited:
Which one has Blue sky?, The HDR or the night shot?

Your first one Ian just above the tree although it could be that this monitor require recalibrating?

Dave

Possibly your monitor Dave as the image has been desaturated entirely using the Black to white palette in the gradient map tool.

However, best to make sure. Anyone else seeing blue?

Ps. Cheers :)

Nice, very nice indeed, I'm a big fan of HDR images, these are great.

Know the 2nd isn't HDR'd but I love the ghostly outline, and your spot on, if you know the history of York then it makes it appeal more. Very nice work!

Ian, my monitor wasnt on user settings. Adjusted and the blue has disappeared sorry about that

Dave

Cheers Martyn.

Dave no prob :) easily done.

I am not a fan of HDR images, they just don't do it for me... Until now.

I would pay good money to learn how to do something like that! I think the HDR in this image makes it work for me because its not in colour. I love the crispness and sharpness of the image and the tones are just superb.

I did the tourist ghost walk down the Shambles the back end of Sept a real spooky place, The second image should be used for marketing by these Ghost Walk people.

Really glad I clicked on this thread, well done you!

I love them both - whenever I go down the Shambles there's 100's of tourists milling round

I am not a fan of HDR images, they just don't do it for me... Until now.

I would pay good money to learn how to do something like that! I think the HDR in this image makes it work for me because its not in colour. I love the crispness and sharpness of the image and the tones are just superb.

I did the tourist ghost walk down the Shambles the back end of Sept a real spooky place, The second image should be used for marketing by these Ghost Walk people.

Really glad I clicked on this thread, well done you!

I'm glad you like it. It's always nice when people like and image but it makes it even more worth while when you get a post like these.

I think the trick is in the B/W conversion. You don't see many B/W HDRs. As for the processing, I used Photomatix and I'm more than happy to provide the settings that this image used had if wanted. :)

Cheers all :)

Last edited:
I have Photomatix but so far I haven't been able to get an image to look at all like any of the HDR images you guys post. Part of my problem is the images I've been trying probably haven't been suited to it, I've only played with it up till now, but part of it is I don't know how to do the tone mapping part, I've experimented with the sliders this way and that, but to no avail the image usually just comes out looking a horrible mess.

I've promised myself a good research/tutorial session for the future but need to squeeze it into my already busy schedule :D any help and ideas you could post here would be more than gratefully received as you are clearly a HDR Master (y)

Of course, I wouldn't expect you to post all your HDR secrets, maybe a few pointers?

Last edited:
That is a stunning image...love it. Perfect subject for an HDR. Lots of interesting things to see in the photo.

I am with you Ste Manns. I have Photomatix also, and have been through a lot of tutorials and have not be able to produce one acceptable HDR. Just need to keep practicing I guess.

Back