The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Can you not change the way you hold the camera instead? I tried out a friends' Canon 135/2 and Sigma 85/1.4 on the A6000 a few weeks ago. Instead of holding the body I just rested the lens on my left hand and balanced the camera with my right. Obviously the lenses are much heavier than any E mount lenses I've used but didn't feel too bad.

Yes. Just put left hand under lens.

Note that Sony say weight is shifted closer to camers body so it'll be interesting to know if they're right and if it makes a difference and makes balance easier.

Isnt the whole point of buying a camera like this because of size? All of a sudden youre pushing bigger, heavier, more expensive and more uncomfortable than a DSLR. :confused:
But what I'm saying is that you can add a grip if you need better balance.

Like you yourself said you can defeat physics. If you want quality f2.8 zooms you pay for it in money and weight.

Sony diddnt add 400g of weight inside these lenses for fun!

But what I'm saying is that you can add a grip if you need better balance.

Like you yourself said you can defeat physics. If you want quality f2.8 zooms you pay for it in money and weight.

Sony diddnt add 400g of weight inside these lenses for fun!

Sure you can, but most of you bought these cameras for weight "savings". In that sense what youre doing is a massive step backwards in size and some ways performance. Yes, I know that, thats why I said it! But you havent replied to my comment.

Sure you can, but most of you bought these cameras for weight "savings". In that sense what youre doing is a massive step backwards in size and some ways performance. Yes, I know that, thats why I said it but you havent replied to my comment.
Half the reason I got this was because canon have crap sensors!

This there's effectively 2 lines of product within the A7 range now...
  • Top quality regardless of size (A7Rii, new GM lenses, 90mm macro)
  • Smaller than DSLR full frame option (A7, 55m, 35mm)
The more options the better in my opinion, although I suppose all those who are using metabones and Canon glass aren't really in the latter camp anyway

To me another reason to buy these cameras is the evf and in view aids. Regardless of bulk and weight to me this system is attractive because of the aids and WYSIWYG. Apart from the much more expensive new Leica it's the only FF option for this otherwise you have to go the smaller format Fuji or MFT.

To me another reason to buy these cameras is the evf and in view aids. Regardless of bulk and weight to me this system is attractive because of the aids and WYSIWYG. Apart from the much more expensive new Leica it's the only FF option for this otherwise you have to go the smaller format Fuji or MFT.
Fuji and mft both ain't lighter then an a7. You can't beat physics! Show me a zoom 24-70mm af f2. 8 that's smaller and lighter!

I think out of all the new G master lenses the 70-200 2.8 sounds most interesting in terms of tech. Sounds like its going to be a nice bit of kit for stills and video.

Can you not change the way you hold the camera instead? I tried out a friends' Canon 135/2 and Sigma 85/1.4 on the A6000 a few weeks ago. Instead of holding the body I just rested the lens on my left hand and balanced the camera with my right. Obviously the lenses are much heavier than any E mount lenses I've used but didn't feel too bad.

That's exactly what I do mate

Fuji and mft both ain't lighter then an a7. You can't beat physics! Show me a zoom 24-70mm af f2. 8 that's smaller and lighter!

eh? I didn't say they're smaller and lighter. My reference to the smaller format systems of Fuji and MFT (and I should have mentioned Sony 6000 series too) was about the format size, as in the chip.

If like me you recognise advantages of evf systems and the in view goodies you have choices and at the moment those are MFT, APS-C and FF. I have MFT and I wanted the abilities in a 35mm equivalent system, hence I bought an A7 although to be hones the increase in image quality and the ability to use old lenses at their intended FoV were also big draws :D

Full frame yeah? With 24-70 f2.8 lenses?

Who said anything about full frame? I didnt see you mention it in your reply and Alan said the other smaller options are XYZ and he was correct. The fact is the system is smaller and I showed you a 24-80 2.8 that is smaller than the Sony offering. End of. Had you said show me a FULL FRAME bla bla bla then you wouldve been correct because they will all be the same size etc.

Last edited:
Who said anything about full frame? I didnt see you mention it in your reply and Alan said the other smaller options are XYZ and he was correct. The fact is the system is smaller and I showed you a 24-80 2.8 that is smaller than the Sony offering. End of. Had you said show me a FULL FRAME bla bla bla then you wouldve been correct because they will all be the same size etc.
I said full frame homie

That's what I mean. Full frame hence why I quoted u and said you can't beat physics.

My point is no one and I mean no one has created a lighter full frame system then Sony.

No, you cant because the lens needs to be suitable for the imaging area. But to say the systems arent smaller and lighter is a bit misleading, its still a 24-70 lens and its still f2.8.

Everyone else has their own system and dont seem interested in creating a FF CSC because their systems have their own benefits, mostly size, weight and reduced costs.

Last edited:
That's what I mean. Full frame hence why I quoted u and said you can't beat physics.

My point is no one and I mean no one has created a lighter full frame system then Sony.

I think you can beat physics a bit or at least you can move the goal posts a bit and achieve a little result :D

Even if 24-70mm f2.8 zooms of roughly the same quality have to be a similar size and weight an A7 with such a zoom is always going to be smaller and lighter than a Canon or Nikon DSLR with a very similar zoom :D

The savings with a compact prime are greater as it's an easy win due to the relatively small size of the A7 series bodies but that saving in body bulk and weight is always there no matter what similar lenses you add to the mix. The weight saving due to the body may become a smaller percentage win as the lenses become heavier but it's always still there to factor in and decide if it's relevant or not :D

Personally I think that the system makes the most sense bulk and weight wise when fitted with a compact prime and when kitted out like that my A7 is about the same size as my Panasonic G1 and IMO that's little short of miraculous :D Actually my A7 when fitted with the 28-70mm is about the same size as my G1 with 14-42mm lens, equally miraculous :D

And on the highlighted bit... indeed! Kudos to Sony! :D

I think Fujj's CSC system is great, I just wanted to go Sony FF and instead opted for the Sony A7 vs Fuji XT-1.
I think the main thing is to buy a system your happy with.
We can all go around is circles in terms of Sony CSC vs DSLR's etc.
I used to own a Nikon D7000, paired with the stellar Nikkor 17-55mm f2.8 it was a epic combination but for me the Sony just feels smaller & lighter with my current lenses. The Nikon D7000 + 17-55mm setup was heavy!
Obviously f2.8 glass WILL increase the weight and size of the setup, it all comes down to the quest of optical IQ etc and how bad you suffer from GAS.
Me ..... I'm just a complete GAS whore lol :)

Last edited:
I think you can beat physics a bit or at least you can move the goal posts a bit and achieve a little result :D

Even if 24-70mm f2.8 zooms of roughly the same quality have to be a similar size and weight an A7 with such a zoom is always going to be smaller and lighter than a Canon or Nikon DSLR with a very similar zoom :D

The savings with a compact prime are greater as it's an easy win due to the relatively small size of the A7 series bodies but that saving in body bulk and weight is always there no matter what similar lenses you add to the mix. The weight saving due to the body may become a smaller percentage win as the lenses become heavier but it's always still there to factor in and decide if it's relevant or not :D

Personally I think that the system makes the most sense bulk and weight wise when fitted with a compact prime and when kitted out like that my A7 is about the same size as my Panasonic G1 and IMO that's little short of miraculous :D Actually my A7 when fitted with the 28-70mm is about the same size as my G1 with 14-42mm lens, equally miraculous :D

Yeah, because you save the 100-200g on the body, the reg distance is also shorter so the setup appears smaller, the lens isnt actually any smaller than the DSLR equiv. I see it the same way, system makes most sense with smaller / slower AF primes or adapted glass. If people want to get ridiculous then theres the GM1 and kit lens.

Screen Shot 2016-02-05 at 14.11.13.png

No one system is perfect..yet. There's always a compromise. Just choose what suits you best.
I love the Sony system for portrait work. I get poad for some portrait work so I'll keep with the Sony system. Plus it's great option for travel.

Nikon is where it's at for me for nature shooting. That's what I love most. But sadly won't pay any bills for me.

To get the best of both worlds probably need to run two systems.

No one system is perfect..yet. There's always a compromise. Just choose what suits you best.
I love the Sony system for portrait work. I get poad for some portrait work so I'll keep with the Sony system. Plus it's great option for travel.

Nikon is where it's at for me for nature shooting. That's what I love most. But sadly won't pay any bills for me.

To get the best of both worlds probably need to run two systems.

Yup, thats the way I see it. I benefit from both. My A7 is sold now, quite sad to see it go as with the 55 its a lovely combo, its a shame there are no real other AF lenses Im interested in that suit the size of the camera. Also, theres new stuff coming and I have the itch. :D

i think the feel of a DSLR and my old FZ1000 is the best feel overall, but its a girth thing, if you want small you kinda have to succumb to the sub DSLT grips, don't get me wrong the sonys grip is nice, but its not like my FZ1000 or a D800 big fat and rounded.. Im used to things that are fat and have girth......

Yup, thats the way I see it. I benefit from both. My A7 is sold now, quite sad to see it go as with the 55 its a lovely combo, its a shame there are no real other AF lenses Im interested in that suit the size of the camera. Also, theres new stuff coming and I have the itch. :D

Such as?

i think the feel of a DSLR and my old FZ1000 is the best feel overall, but its a girth thing, if you want small you kinda have to succumb to the sub DSLT grips, don't get me wrong the sonys grip is nice, but its not like my FZ1000 or a D800 big fat and rounded.. Im used to things that are fat and have girth......

Enough about your bf

I think Fujj's CSC system is great, I just wanted to go Sony FF and instead opted for the Sony A7 vs Fuji XT-1.

Off topic a bit but...

One thing that appeals to me with the Fuji's are the dials... being able to set the aperture, shutter and ISO with a dial appeals. But, I am put off by the possible issues when processing raws with CS5 (what I have, and the mushy file issue be it real or not worries me...) I'm also put off by the relatively low maximum ISO or raws and also the relatively large size of some of the lenses.

I've taken a good hard look at the Fuji system a few times now but mostly on line as these things are as rare as hens teeth in Middlesbrough but for me the Fuji's can't match the image quality of my A7 and don't leave MFT far enough behind and in deep I think that MFT has some advantages over the Fuji's.

Just shows me... all systems have their good points, their compromises and their irritating limitations.
:D

X-pro 2 - Looks lovely, Ive shot a lot of Fuji cameras and I like the system, theyve finally updated the sensor and it looks ideal, combined with the stunning primes it makes an excellent system.
X-T2 - Should show its face within a month or two
A6300 - Gutted no IBIS

As for main system....
Canikon have announced the big boys which makes me think the D7/8/9xx and 5Div will be announced in the next few months. Ill keep my D750 till they are released though and decide if its worth it.

Last edited:
Off topic a bit but...

One thing that appeals to me with the Fuji's are the dials... being able to set the aperture, shutter and ISO with a dial appeals. But, I am put off by the possible issues when processing raws with CS5 (what I have, and the mushy file issue be it real or not worries me...) I'm also put off by the relatively low maximum ISO or raws and also the relatively large size of some of the lenses.

I've taken a good hard look at the Fuji system a few times now but mostly on line as these things are as rare as hens teeth in Middlesbrough but for me the Fuji's can't match the image quality of my A7 and don't leave MFT far enough behind and in deep I think that MFT has some advantages over the Fuji's.

Just shows me... all systems have their good points, their compromises and their irritating limitations.
:D

You may want to check out the latest release, the X-pro 2, looks fantastic, better RAW support from Adobe (thats pretty much been fixed on the old models anyway), more MP (24mp), higher ISO (12800 RAW higher Jpg), hybrid finder, lovely controls etc etc. The lenses are large because the apertures are, there are also a few pancakes that are tiny and a big selection of quality zooms. Fujis strong point was always their lenses.

TBF CS5 is very old now.

Last edited:

Not having a pop at you here Twist, honest, and there are many folk like you on this forum so I'm just using this as a bit of an example...

I find it quite interesting that many people on forums at least chop and change so much. I'm into photography and I have been since I got my first camera at the age of 10 but I seem to chop and change much less. I used my Nikon SLR for over 10 years and my 20D for over 7. I've had my A7 since the off (I was an early adopter and I bought it before they hit the shops) and I still have it. Despite being a bit of a gear and technology fan I don't buy anywhere near what some do and nowhere near as often.

Maybe I should :D but I do wonder if some, and not necessarily you but just talking generally, should think a lot more before buying and give the kit a bit more of a chance once you have it. Just a thought :D

You may want to check out the latest release, the X-pro 2, looks fantastic, better RAW support from Adobe (thats pretty much been fixed on the old models anyway), more MP (24mp), higher ISO (12800 RAW higher Jpg), hybrid finder, lovely controls etc etc. The lenses are large because the apertures are, there are also a few pancakes that are tiny and a big selection of quality zooms. Fujis strong point was always their lenses.

TBF CS5 is very old now.

I'm not interested in shooting JPEG's no matter how lovely they are :D This is one of the issues that put me off. Even my GX7 produces usable raw's at ISO 25,600.

I'm not sold on your point about the apertures, I think their lenses are relatively large because they're aiming for quality but for me the gap between Fuji and MFT isn't that great and if choosing an APS-C system I'd go for the Sony A6000 series. The Fuji dials remain the one USP for me but the compromises and irritants outweigh the pull. For me.

Yes, CS5 is quite old now but it was f*****g expensive and as I feel I've had a poor deal from them I'm reluctant to give them any more money. I also hate learning new packages. Anyway, CS5 does 99% of what I need :D

Last edited:
Not having a pop at you here Twist, honest, and there are many folk like you on this forum so I'm just using this as a bit of an example...

I find it quite interesting that many people on forums at least chop and change so much. I'm into photography and I have been since I got my first camera at the age of 10 but I seem to chop and change much less. I used my Nikon SLR for over 10 years and my 20D for over 7. I've had my A7 since the off (I was an early adopter and I bought it before they hit the shops) and I still have it. Despite being a bit of a gear and technology fan I don't buy anywhere near what some do and nowhere near as often.

Maybe I should :D but I do wonder if some, and not necessarily you but just talking generally, should think a lot more before buying and give the kit a bit more of a chance once you have it. Just a thought :D

Thats fine, I dont mind, I like changing systems, its part of the fun of photography for me to try new stuff, I enjoy the technical as much as the creative. I generally run a few thousand frames through a camera before I replace it, so it does get used quite a bit. If I really like it then I buy the same camera again after trying something else (as you may have noticed). Ive been using a D750 from release day as I enjoy the camera so much.

X-pro 2 - Looks lovely, Ive shot a lot of Fuji cameras and I like the system, theyve finally updated the sensor and it looks ideal, combined with the stunning primes it makes an excellent system.
X-T2 - Should show its face within a month or two
A6300 - Gutted no IBIS

As for main system....
Canikon have announced the big boys which makes me think the D7/8/9xx and 5Div will be announced in the next few months. Ill keep my D750 till they are released though and decide if its worth it.

I've been hugely tempted by Fuji. Mainly by the 56 1.2. Plus it just looks like sexy kit.

I had a fuji xt1 with a 56 the len's is nice I just couldn't get use to the plastic fuji look ... but I've used full frame for the last God knows how many years

I'm not interested in shooting JPEG's no matter how lovely they are :D This is one of the issues that put me off. Even my GX7 produces usable raw's at ISO 25,600.

I'm not sold on your point about the apertures, I think their lenses are relatively large because they're aiming for quality but for me the gap between Fuji and MFT isn't that great and if choosing an APS-C system I'd go for the Sony A6000 series. The Fuji dials remain the one USP for me but the compromises and irritants outweigh the pull. For me.

It used to be 6400 which for me wasnt high enough, 12800 is kind of where I want to be at the high end. I can count on my hand how many times Ive used higher than 12800 that wasnt meant for testing. My shooting is usually F1.4 or a little slower if I want the DOF so I dont need to go into high iso territory, but when I want the DOF itll be a daylight landscape or similar so plenty of scope.

Well when you compare the 35 1.4 to say an ART 50 1.4 its tiny, plus the fuji primes I prefer have those lovely aperture dials. I find my APSC cameras always outperformed my M43, even of the same generation. I can pull my files around a fair amount in LR and the bigger sensors hold up better. The A6k is lovely. Also, another thing you mentioned before, the new Fuji has 1/8000 and silent electronic shutter now.

Fair enough, we all have our requirements, Im more AF bias so a strong lineup of AF lenses attracts me.

I had a fuji xt1 with a 56 the len's is nice I just couldn't get use to the plastic fuji look ... but I've used full frame for the last God knows how many years

Thats apparently fixed, from what Ive seen, in a big way.

Thats fine, I dont mind, I like changing systems, its part of the fun of photography for me to try new stuff, I enjoy the technical as much as the creative. I generally run a few thousand frames through a camera before I replace it, so it does get used quite a bit. If I really like it then I buy the same camera again after trying something else (as you may have noticed). Ive been using a D750 from release day as I enjoy the camera so much.

A camera is a tool for me and I do like it to stay out of the way as much as possible and this is one thing that EVF cameras do IMO. Some feel that OVF cameras get out of the way more but I disagree as the EVF cameras allow me to see the scene as it will be captured and don't just leave me to imagine, hope and suck and see and shoot again if it's not right.

To me when I've decided that a tool works and I've cleared it for use I'll use it until it breaks or my needs change or possibly until something very much better comes along. I've had some of my electronic test gear over 30 yeas, likewise some of my hifi and I can imagine having my A7 until some radical new technology comes along... such as pixel level metering and ISO setting which could end the need to meter for the highlights or shadows or maybe some new and disruptive sensor technology. Other than something radical like that I can see myself using my current kit for another 5 or even 10 years.

Last edited:
Yep heard that it's better now I'm happy with my kit for the time being well until the a7 iii bodies come out ..... or the mythical a9..... or even the Sony branded medium format camera lol

Yes, CS5 is quite old now but it was f*****g expensive and as I feel I've had a poor deal from them I'm reluctant to give them any more money. I also hate learning new packages. Anyway, CS5 does 99% of what I need :D

Yeah, the old standalones were pricey, irritatingly. LR is great though tbh. Not just for editing but the actual cataloguing is fantastic.

A camera is a tool for me and I do like it to stay out of the way as much as possible and this is one thing that EVF cameras do IMO. Some feel that OVF cameras get out of the way more but I disagree as the EVF cameras allow me to see the scene as it will be captured and don't just leave me to imagine, hope and suck and see and shoot again if it's not right.

To me when I've decided that a tool works and I've cleared it for use I'll use it until it breaks or my needs change or possibly until something very much better comes along. I've had some of my electronic test gear over 30 yeas, likewise some of my hifi and I can imagine having my A7 until some radical new technology comes along... such as pixel level metering and ISO setting which could end the need to meter for the highlights or shadows or maybe some new and disruptive sensor technology. Other than something radical like that I can see myself using my current kit for another 5 or even 10 years.

Im the opposite but thats cool, manufacturers are generally catering for everyone now which is a good step forward.

Ive go to admit, Id have a few more quid if I did it your way, only live once though :LOL:

Last edited:
Back