The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

And the 35 2.8

Sony_FE_35mm_f2.8_ZA_Carl_Zeiss_Sonnar_T_Lens_graph.png

Exactly, I think FE mount will become an awesome system to invest in.

They do look pretty gorgeous. I really like the aperture ring on the lens. Always loved that about the Fujinons. Hopefully we'll see more lenses with it.

Also really liked my Fuji lenses, if only they made a FF camera with decent RAW support.

I make it a rule to wait a few days before jumping on a new firmware.

Is this per lens or part of the cameras firmware.

It's lens firmware, not camera. Apparently the 16-35mm has the appropriate firmware in place already, so if anyone has that to compare startup speeds with the other lenses I guess we'd have an idea of how much or little of an improvement it is.

What i mean is do we do this once on the camera and the lens when attached updates or do we repeat for each lens.

Nice to see the 35mm f1.4 being well received. I wonder if it's better than the Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art?

Does the update need downloading for each lens or just once, then install for each lens.

Can you use the same file? It confuses me how on the 35 f2.8 page it says update for 24-70, 55 and so on but the file is named for each lens. Might make more sense once its live on the uk site.

Can you use the same file? It confuses me how on the 35 f2.8 page it says update for 24-70, 55 and so on but the file is named for each lens. Might make more sense once its live on the uk site.

Perhaps just try it and find out?

All done. You need the file for each lens, cant say i notice any difference.

All done. You need the file for each lens, cant say i notice any difference.

Hope Sony UK get the firmware versions added along with Mac versions.
I am hearing reports that it does indeed improve startup times.

Last edited:
I have managed to find the Mac versions of the lens firmware *.DMG packages on the Asia Sony Support site.
Can also confirm that all my 3 lenses are now running firmware Ver 2 and allow the camera to boot up faster then before compared to Ver 1, Happy Days! :)

Sony FE 24-70mm f4 OSS
Sony FE 55mm f1.8
Sony FE 70-200mm f4 OSS G

If it were something really noticeable people would have been saying the 16-35 starts up faster than previous lenses as that shipped with the version 2 firmware. With it being something people are looking/hoping for they see minuscule differences. Any updates are good but i wish sony would address major problems rather than useless 1% startup speed increases.

If it were something really noticeable people would have been saying the 16-35 starts up faster than previous lenses as that shipped with the version 2 firmware. With it being something people are looking/hoping for they see minuscule differences. Any updates are good but i wish sony would address major problems rather than useless 1% startup speed increases.
Agreed, I own a Fuji X100 and Fuji have been nothing short of amazing when it comes to listening to heir customers issues and addressing via firmware upgrades.
Most of the Sony A7's niggles could have easily been fixed via firmware updates. Grr!

What major problems would you like to see them resolve?

Control over min shutter speed 1/60 for everything is rubbish, this is the big one for me, it makes A mode all but useless in most conditions for me.
Control over rear screen, i don't want it on at all unless i'm reviewing a photo or changing settings.
Remove NTSC warning, so annoying.

Not sure if hardware limitation or software but ability to charge the batteries in camera with the grip attached.

They're the major ones for me plenty of other things that would be nice.

The prices are now up on the Sony UK site....

Sony 90mm f2.8 OSS G Macro £1049
Sony 35mm f1.4 £1559
Sony 24-240mm f3.5-6.3 OSS £929
Sony 28mm f2.0 £419

I suspect other retailers will be about £100 cheaper? :)

The prices are now up on the Sony UK site....

Sony 90mm f2.8 OSS G Macro £1049
Sony 35mm f1.4 £1559
Sony 24-240mm f3.5-6.3 OSS £929
Sony 28mm f2.0 £419

I suspect other retailers will be about £100 cheaper? :)

Not bad for launch prices imo. 35mm will hopefully get nearer the £1099 mark and the 28mm at £349.

From the limited information out on the internet about the Sony 90mm Macro, its supposed to be razor sharp.
I may have to save up a little first :(

From the limited information out on the internet about the Sony 90mm Macro, its supposed to be razor sharp.
I may have to save up a little first :(

Im surprised by how much it costs though. Hopefully that'll drop to at least the £700 mark.

Sigma have finally said they will make FE lenses. Wonder will it be brand new lenses or converted current lenses.

Spot metering to work off the selected AF point, not the middle of the frame would be a big one for me. Absolutely no excuse for it to work like that in a mirrorless camera.

So we have a camera that can detect a face and target an eye to focus on, but can't meter off the same face?

be interesting to see how good the 90 is in reviews, as the £379 sigma and tamron options are very good already

The 90mm certainly has my interest. Good looking chart, but I'm starting to take sharpness for granted with these Sony Zeiss lenses, so waiting to see some proper hands-on reviews with a good selection of macro and portrait images.

Anybody used both the Sony A7 and A7S? I am thinking of one....

Is the A7S better at AF - AF Tracking compared to the A7 seen as it only has contrast detect? But can AF -4EV?

Any negatives on the A7S apart from it being 12mp Vs A7.

Having had a play with the A7II, I am not keen on the new larger and heavier body Vs A7.

Cheers :)

Anybody used both the Sony A7 and A7S? I am thinking of one....

Is the A7S better at AF - AF Tracking compared to the A7 seen as it only has contrast detect? But can AF -4EV?

Any negatives on the A7S apart from it being 12mp Vs A7.

Having had a play with the A7II, I am not keen on the new larger and heavier body Vs A7.

Cheers :)

I have owned both, I much preferred the A7s, the files it produced were a lot nicer, had more depth to them and the high ISO was loads better, colours were more accurate. I never used AF with it (A7s) but in terms of daylight they will be very similar but when it starts getting darker the A7s will be far superior, tracking imo is neither cameras strong point. 0EV vs -4EV (DPReview claim -5EV!!). Check youtube, the A7s will lock in pretty much any light.

Not sure why people think 12MP is such an issue, hardly anyone prints these days and 12MP can still do very large prints.

Not sure why people think 12MP is such an issue, hardly anyone prints these days and 12MP can still do very large prints.

I never felt limited by my 12mp 5D or even my 8mp 20D but maybe if you crop like mad and try to print big you'd hit problems, there must be limits :D

12mp would be a massive issue for me, would mean more lenses and what that brings ie weight and cost. I like that i can just use my 35 and during editing crop really heavily. I hope Sony maintain the performance of the 36mp in the rumoured 50mp, i would definitly go higher than 36mp.

I hardly ever crop, just prefer to frame stuff correctly in camera, 2 primes do everything I need.

Last edited:
Back