The Space and Astronomy Thread

Ah. So, the centre stage crashed on landing.

They said it may have run out of fuel, presumably it can be retrieved and re-used?

Edit: Apparently not as it smashed into the sea at an estimated 500 km/hr, shame.

Last edited:
There's an apocryphal story about John F Kennedy visiting NASA. While touring the facility, he introduced himself to a janitor who was mopping the floor and asked him what he did at NASA. "Well Mr President," the janitor replied, “I'm helping put a man on the moon.”

I feel like I'd happily mop the floors at Spacex if that would help put a man on Mars. I bet I'm not the only one either.

Starman.jpg

Looks like the car is on course for a flyby of mars and then into the asteroid belt.

Tower, this is Ghost rider requesting a flyby.
That’s a negative Ghost rider, the pattern is full.

There's an apocryphal story about John F Kennedy visiting NASA. While touring the facility, he introduced himself to a janitor who was mopping the floor and asked him what he did at NASA. "Well Mr President," the janitor replied, “I'm helping put a man on the moon.”

I feel like I'd happily mop the floors at Spacex if that would help put a man on Mars. I bet I'm not the only one either.

View attachment 119807

Funny you should say that because as I was watching the video I was thinking, "wonder if they need a tea boy, I would apply". :)

Looks like the car is on course for a flyby of mars
"The minimum distance from the Earth to Mars is about 54.6 million kilometers".

I just hope there is plenty of charging points up there ..
:D

It's doing all right at the moment. Who said electric cars had no range :D

It's doing all right at the moment. Who said electric cars had no range :D
Actually its not a bad advert in the "Real world" if it makes it all the way to Mars..

Plenty of time for even a tiny solar charger to do the job.

I want to see the photos in six months once the solar radiation has had time to f*** it up :)

The "DON'T" on the display will probably vanish. :D

Another superb angle of the boosters landing, amazing speed, sonic booms and engine roar!
The deceleration is pretty impressive too!

Makes me feel older as they drop away.

Incredible group of very brave people.

The inevitability of the all of us aging! :( :)

PS cannot recall my exact age but under 12yo, I wrote to NASA about the space program and months later I got a large envelope of info & literature about Mercury, Gemini and I think mention of Apollo. The letter included said along the lines do visit and we will give you a tour......sadly never been but subject has always been one of great fascination and interest. Have not seen the stuff in yonks but packrat that I am is likely somewhere in a box?

Last edited:
Interesting that the nosegear looks like a skid and not a wheel.........if so can only surmise it has a wear scuff pad. But how do they steer it during taxiing following the landing compared to conventional aircraft???

I assume they don’t steer. Passengers and crew will use a transport vehicle, like with the Shuttle.

As long as they don't find in six months that the organics came off the sole of a technician's shoe... :)

Last edited:
Even the parachute opening is controlled, cool.

Clearest view yet of our galactic centre.

Amazing.

Milky Way: New Telescope Captures Clearest View Yet of Our Galaxy's Fiery Center - Newsweekhttps://apple.news/AfdEFOk9zTKuo3-zRb8rz9Q

Clearest view yet of our galactic centre.

Amazing.

Milky Way: New Telescope Captures Clearest View Yet of Our Galaxy's Fiery Center - Newsweek
Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

It's a bit of a weird page on Newsweek though, isn't it? The story is about an image captured with a radio telescope in South Africa, but front and centre they've stuck an unrelated video about images captured by an optical telescope in Australia. I guess that probably makes sense to the kind of people they employ as journalists.

Sutherland may be the UKs spaceport. Radio today was asking for the popular choice of name for the site, current leaders are "Cape Jock" and "Spacey McRocketBase"

Much as I'm very interested in space and astronomy this announcement doesn't fill me with joy.

Dave

Back