The Travelling Superzoom - anyone up for it?

So it will soon be my turn to be able to add to the "101 ways to ruin a roll of film thread" then. Probably more appropriate than to the "Travelling Superzoom roll 2" thread :)

Hopefully either way the arrival of an (unexpected?) camera may produce a reaction.

Hopefully either way the arrival of an (unexpected?) camera may produce a reaction.
It might be worth checking before posting it off, it would be a shame if it disappeared into the sorting office unclaimed parcels dept.

I'll only be posting it back to Nige - I come last in the list...

According to the Royal Mail tracking they tried to deliver on the 23rd Oct but ‘there didn’t seem to be anyone in’. It’s now ‘available for collection or redelivery at West Reading Enquiry Office’

Well at least we know where it is :confused: Could he be on holiday or something?

So is it waiting to be collected by Strappy?

Yep, it’s waiting to be collected. Doesn’t say how long they’ll hold it for.

Is there a return address on it? Or does the fact that it's tracked mean that they know who sent it?

I have Dean's (@Strappy) email address from a time I bought some film from him.

I'll can ping him a wee reminder if we think that's appropriate?

I've got a mobile number for him as well. Also a landline. I seem to have bought lots of things from him!

And email received! Apologies for radio silence, I found a card through the door last week and then forgot all about it!:eek:

Lots of non-photography things happening, most recently one of our window frames collapsed. The glass is still in the window, it's the frame at the bottom that's rotted away and allowed the pane to slip down about an inch and a half. At least it's not in any danger of falling outwards but that's all had to be made good while we wait for the replacement windows ... because why not change all the old wooden frames at the same time, right? :rolleyes:

I've also buggered my knee and can't walk very far without pain. A photo walk is a tricky proposition, unless you want 5 very similar photos taken as I wobble around in a circle, but I shall endeavour to persevere (or some such gibberish). Will post an update as soon as I can collect the camera (tomorrow, hopefully) and in the meantime try to think of how I can take some macro shots in the kitchen on a p&s zoom compact that won't turn out as an under-lit out-of-focus mess. :D

And email received! Apologies for radio silence, I found a card through the door last week and then forgot all about it!:eek:

Lots of non-photography things happening, most recently one of our window frames collapsed. The glass is still in the window, it's the frame at the bottom that's rotted away and allowed the pane to slip down about an inch and a half. At least it's not in any danger of falling outwards but that's all had to be made good while we wait for the replacement windows ... because why not change all the old wooden frames at the same time, right? :rolleyes:

I've also buggered my knee and can't walk very far without pain. A photo walk is a tricky proposition, unless you want 5 very similar photos taken as I wobble around in a circle, but I shall endeavour to persevere (or some such gibberish). Will post an update as soon as I can collect the camera (tomorrow, hopefully) and in the meantime try to think of how I can take some macro shots in the kitchen on a p&s zoom compact that won't turn out as an under-lit out-of-focus mess. :D
Good to hear your doing ok, even if you are a bit crocked. Get your windows and your knee sorted and get yourself out taking photos again.

it's the frame at the bottom that's rotted away and allowed the pane to slip down about an inch and a half

There's one photo subject right away :) After all, this is the camera's story right? :p

Did you manage to collect the camera, Dean?

I found a card through the door last week and then forgot all about it!:eek:
Did you manage to collect the camera, Dean?

A little bump for this as the cameras journey appears to have come to a grinding halt either with @Strappy or within the postal services ( return to sender??)

It's going to be a darned shame if this goes tits up after all the effort folk have put in and of course Steohen hasn't yet had his turn!

A little bump for this as the cameras journey appears to have come to a grinding halt either with @Strappy or within the postal services ( return to sender??)

It's going to be a darned shame if this goes tits up after all the effort folk have put in and of course Steohen hasn't yet had his turn!

It’s not been returned to me (as yet) so it’s hopefully been picked up.

You should be able to check the tracking number to find out where the parcel is.

It's been collected but is still in the box it arrived in due to the cornucopia of crap I'm dealing with right now. On the positive side, a couple of chaps are at this moment making a lot of noise and swearing sotto voce in the other room as they replace the first windows, on the negative I cannot see how they're going to finish in the time quoted, particularly as they only brought 4 bloody frames with them today. :rolleyes:

I apologise for the time it's taking to get anything done but I'm afraid the travelling camera is pretty low priority. I'll send it on to Stephen as soon as I can, no reason for everyone else to wait longer for me to get things sorted.

Presumably that means either I get double the quota of frames, or someone else can now join in the chain?

Presumably that means either I get double the quota of frames, or someone else can now join in the chain?

Yes. If Dean is unable to take part, then there's effectively a double bunch of shots left. If we have any late takers, then we can add someone onto the end of the chain. If not, you get a bumper set of shots.

If someone wants to throw their hat into the ring before @StephenM takes his quota, then I'm fine with that - first come, first served. Otherwise I don't mind finishing up the roll. The camera needs to come back to me at the end anyway so that I can send off the film for processing.

Last edited:
And the camera continues its journey, posted today via second-class signed for. I left Paul's sender information on the parcel so if there are any issues it won't be returned to me to sit unmolested for another couple of weeks. I have the tracking number if anyone wants it.

And the camera continues its journey, posted today via second-class signed for. I left Paul's sender information on the parcel so if there are any issues it won't be returned to me to sit unmolested for another couple of weeks. I have the tracking number if anyone wants it.

Thanks Dean. Sorry that other things have prevented you from taking part.

The camera has arrived - thanks Dean.

Do I now assume that no-one else has jumped in, and the final frames go to Nige after I've made my mess up?

Well, I think I've finished my shots. There was one time the flash didn't go off, but I think I managed to press the release all the way.

It will now be repacked and returned to Nige.

Repacked, and will be out to the post office shortly. I'll PM Nige with a tracking number when I get one.

Back