The Ultimate Car Rig Photography Thread!

Few rigs, mostly public road but some on track too...

Wiesmann_MF4_Roadster_2010-10-12_DSC_9550.jpg

Morgan_Aeromax_2013-06-23_DSC_4519.jpg

Morgan_Aeromax_2013-06-23_DSC_4779.jpg

Subaru_Impreza_Turbo_2013-08-29_DSC_4339.jpg

Nissan_GTR_Gundam_2013-07-19_DSC_10061.jpg

Caterham_7_Supersport_2011-04-04_DSC_6486.jpg

Reactions: ST4
Only just noticed this thread and i am very impressed with all these rigs and results.

You've come a long way Sammy and your photos look amazing :)

I'm looking into getting my first car soon so i'd love to give this a try, it looks so much fun but challening.

Got my first ever car last weekend after passing my test in march:D

All i need to do now is get all the bits together for the rig.

One Question: Do the suction clamps from B&Q (the clamps mentioned in the first post) leave any marks on the paint work at all?

One Question: Do the suction clamps from B&Q (the clamps mentioned in the first post) leave any marks on the paint work at all?

I only used them on my own car as I wouldn't risk it on anyone elses. They didn't leave any marks on mine but the plastic "sucker" is quite a hard plastic compared to the pro version and it wasn't long before i upgraded. Its good as a starter though for you to find out if you want to invest in the proper gear.

I only used them on my own car as I wouldn't risk it on anyone elses. They didn't leave any marks on mine but the plastic "sucker" is quite a hard plastic compared to the pro version and it wasn't long before i upgraded. Its good as a starter though for you to find out if you want to invest in the proper gear.

I will only be using it on my own car so sounds like its worth a try for £9.99 and see what happens. Thanks for the info Sammy and hopefully soon i'll have some results to show.

Argh!!

Ordered 2 Manfrotto suction cups off WEX Photographic. Online it said they were both in stock. Today I get an email saying they're dispatching one only as they only have one in stock even though at time of order it said both in stock! Just rang them up and they said that the system will say they're in stock if there's just one in stock so you could be ordering 5 of something and it'll happily let you buy and take your money even though they don't have the stock to fulfil your order.

So now I'm having to wait for the 2nd to come back into stock and they can't give me a date!

What poor service so now I'm hold and can't do anything else as without a pair of cups I'm stuck

ARGH!

So still waiting for my 2nd suction cup to arrive. Contacted WEX today and they said it's still on back order GRR!!

Still, on the plus side as soon as it turns up then I'm good to go testing my hybrid carbon fibre extendible pole! Decided I didn't fancy aluminium as A) the weight concerned me and B) I was worried about if a clamp gave way and it crashed into someone's car so I had a chat with a friend who makes carbon fibre poles and got him to make me an extendible pole:

Pole spec is:
3 section pole - All are 1.5 metres long
Hybrid carbon for maximum strength and minimum flex
Locking clamps on all sections
Tight tolerance connections

3 section extendible pole. All are 1.5 metres so compact for transporting about:
Hybrid carbon fibre pole! by Pentax Gareth, on Flickr

Note the green band, that's there to show you when to stop extending!

Clamps lock the pole in tight once extended:

Designed to tight tolerances so the gap between poles and clamps is minimal to stop flexing of poles due to movement

Top pole also has a clamp on it for add on's at a later stage such as another pole, light bracket etc

Last edited:
Sorry took a while! They'll be £199 and that includes vat and delivery so slightly cheaper than CCR!

My second F1000 cup arrived today and I bought my super clamps so I'm all good to go now!

That's excellent. It looks like a great solution and saves a lot of faffing.

How did the flex test go?

Ok! My first car rig images! I found it rather scary setting it all up and putting it on a car!

A few with the rig on the car:

Camera is about 3 inches off the ground here!
IMAG0842 by Pentax Gareth, on Flickr

On the back window
IMAG0840 by Pentax Gareth, on Flickr

Rig on car with it moving
IMGP0121 by Pentax Gareth, on Flickr

With the rig removed:

Golf car rig! by Pentax Gareth, on Flickr

Golf II by Pentax Gareth, on Flickr

Golf III by Pentax Gareth, on Flickr

Golf IV by Pentax Gareth, on Flickr

I think I'm most happiest with the 2nd image and I know I need to work on my angles.

The pole itself was rather firm but it did bounce a little which dies down when the clutch was depressed so the car was rolling. The car is my mates 2.8 VR5 which is a retro fit but it doesn't like going slow so can be lumpty at less than 5 mph, floor it though and it's a different kettle of fish! I'm unsure for this reason it was a fair test but I got a fair amount of keepers. Going to ask my mate if a bracket can be added to the pole to provide more strength ;)

Looks good for a first set. You need more length on it though ideally. Rig shots should be done with the engine off if possible.

I know the cheaper CCR boom uses a triangulated tension wire to reduce bounce.

I've gone back to my mate who's thinking up a bracket where a wire could pass through as to strengthen it a bit. You can buy one now if you like, that's no issue or you may want to hang on so we can see about trying to reduce the bounce. I may be over critical with the bounce as it settled down after a while, does everyone elses do that or are your like crazy rock solid ?

I'd be willing to help with testing etc, weight testing, amount of flex and the like. Or I can wait for you to figure it all out. Hard to comment on amount of flex without using it myself.

Back