The Ultimate Car Rig Photography Thread!

Wow just read the whole thread some great tips here thanks, now I need to build one.

Blimey! Splashing the cash! Still, supposed to be the best suction rig out there.

Just looked at the prices - nice kit although about £800 is the pole? I'd be really interested to see this when you get it.

I'm still wondering about the carbon pole wash kits you can get.

Last edited:
Hi there, been looking at creating a rig from DIY products, currently looking at 2 dual suction cups from B&Q and then bolting on a 'boom' (which will just be 2/3 pieces of metal tube with homemade joiners on to hold them together) and then an amazon magic arm copy. Kit wise it would be a 7d 18-135mm or a samyang 8mm fisheye (then Defish in pp). Has anybody used anything this budget before and got any decent results or am i being to cheap. If im being to cheap i will have to wait a while to get some money around. Im doing purely for enjoyment but if it works i might be able to get some people on board after practicing with friends cars. What would be a decent length boom for the rig? Thanks for reading and any advice?

Bummer, im defo looking in to a tensioning system before i go to 6m. as 4.5m is more than enough for me at the moment. so im looking at getting it steady first so i can go longer on exposure :)

I need to make it even possible to do my 4 and 4.5m rigs first, then it can also become 6m. I've also thought about a counter weight.

First try, done one on the front but i had to hide where it had been hit in, So my first try is from the back, I had forgot my filters so i had the aperture closed right up, hence the OOF parts. Getting all of the shot level to start off with would have helped with the crop. Still here it is, all comments welcomed. I'm working on the PP :)

Car2 by Kelvin Nikon, on Flickr

For you first try you have do well. I even like the location
One thing I will say is you missed part of the suction cup on the boot. Just above the cdi badge.

finally got a chance to use the rig.. its only been 4 months :)
wanted to do something a bit different with it, so I used it indoors on a reflective surface.

here ya go:

IMG_7324-Edit-Edit_xlarge.jpg

IMG_7353-Edit_xlarge.jpg

IMG_7400-Edit_xlarge.jpg

IMG_7429-Edit_xlarge.jpg

Looks like a super clamp :) lol

Awesome rig shots. Really well done against the slick floor. What a car to shoot too!

Number 4 is my favourite. Number 3 is good but would benefit from facing down a "road" so it looks like you are driving from somewhere if that makes sense? Rather from out of a corner? Know what I mean? :)

Number 1 is my favourite due to not being able to tell the location as much, which makes the rest very unbelievable, technically good though, and jealous of the car!

i got a direct quote from Rig pro of $317 (£204) for a 14ft boom from the US, that included shipping.

So i think £200 for the boom alone is a little too much IMO

I am open to offers on the rig but I paid $338 for it PLUS customs duty which adds a fair bit more too, hence I don't think the price is unreasonable compared to your quote unless you had some plan to evade import taxes :)

ive added some pics into the sales thread and weighed one of the sections - its about 2kg's

today I rigged a seat Ibiza :)

Can't decide if I like this angle/shot...

also my usual and favourite turning motion shots...

It was pretty windy today which was a nightmare but think I managed okay :)

Back