The universal trigger interface (The little box)

For financing, would you take a prepayment/deposit. What about selling the pcb and parts for the end user to assemble?
I've an air pistol but I think you're a little far from me and I can't post.

I don't want to take payment for something I haven't built as that would just lead to trouble. Selling it as a kit was an option but the issue then is that if someone messes up the build they will blame me for a faulty PCB or similar as they wouldn't know. Also a lot of people wouldn't be able to build it.

This is the hardest part for me, getting from fully working machine to being able to sell it.

I don't want to take payment for something I haven't built as that would just lead to trouble. Selling it as a kit was an option but the issue then is that if someone messes up the build they will blame me for a faulty PCB or similar as they wouldn't know. Also a lot of people wouldn't be able to build it.

This is the hardest part for me, getting from fully working machine to being able to sell it.

Try Dragons Den the TV program

Realspeed

Have you considered the likes of Kickstarter, you could have people 'invest' to get it going with the idea they get one at the end, I did this recently with the capture clip system :)

cowasaki said:

Fair enough, I can totally understand the need to sell complete. I mentioned it because you can buy the camera axe in bits, although the cost difference makes it attractive to have it built.

Have you thought about a rough cost range? How many units do you think youll sell? I think it would be reasonable to build to order, although they'll be cost savings with quantities?

You could also canvass on here, see who is genuinly interested and would put the money up front allowing you to buy in bulk and take it from there?

Well the big problem has been the human and camera interaction.

Firstly the controls, there are 5 controls

a pulse encoder with push switch, this is a control that you turn and it effectively sends pulses saying "I am turning left or right". This is the most complicated device but works perfectly BUT it only has a stem that is a couple of 2cm tall

a10K potentiometer, I wanted this to have a switched off position but couldn't find one. Also getting a 10K pot that was a similar shape and size to the encoder was a nightmare but I eventually found one but like the encoder it is only a couple of cm tall (inc the actual base!)

plus 3 Buttons, you wouldn't think that this would be difficult but getting 3 buttons that I can use that (a) don't cost an absolute fortune! (b) fit (c) are PCB mountable (to avoid loads of work fitting them to the case and wiring them to the board etc) again this was a nightmare but I couldn't find any long enough.

then the Screen, I wanted a screen 12x2 characters so that it fit into the case I found (or another case that would take a 16x2 screen). In the end I am sticking with an 8x2 screen which has left space for 3 LEDs in the screen area and this actually looks good.

This has been the delay....

So the current position is that today I have totally rebuilt the entire PCB design completely re-routing it and placing the opto-couples, the programmable controller chip and the screen brightness adjuster on the back of the board. This allows me to get the LCD screen about 1 cm nearer to the top case and in doing so means that I can use buttons which I can get easily and also the menu and control adjusters go through the front case and fit without any problems.

I have had to modify the PCB on the fly today and have already made the adjustments to the board on the computer so will have to re-create it BUT I think that we are just about there.

As I have already said, the software has been changed radically over the past couple of weeks and is just about finished.

What this means is that I will be just about able to order a professionally created one-off board to test and then will be able to order a larger batch....

Finance is still an issue but there are a couple of options. Anyway, we are a step closer now.....

Well my trigger chums.................

FINAL board design completed TODAY for

Universal control unit
Sound/vibration trigger
Beam breaker trigger (same board in water droplet detector & laser beam modules)
Standalone sound trigger control unit

We are getting a little closer. I have only had 1 day off in the last 2 weeks hence the delay.

I have started a forum for the triggers but it has had to be taken down to upgrade my server which is now hosting about 8 domains!

Darren
do you have an alternate email address (PM me) as I can't reply to your "normal" one
cheers
Mike

Hi Darren,

I'm seriously desperate to try this out! You've done an amazing job and if you think it's got commercial potential then I'd definitely check out kickstarter like someone else suggested.

I'm sure you're fed up of people asking this but do you have any idea when it might be available for us to actually buy off you?
Plenty of people on here wouldn't mind giving payment or a down-payment upfront then you can order your bulk parts if that helps?

Sorry everyone but I've had a right carpy last month! I get 2 or 3 days off a week whilst working 8-12 hours a day!! Something has happened every set of days with my grandad dying and then the funeral, I've had to go to hospital twice and my daughter has been in hospital for the past 3 days plus I've just been exhausted.

I have the FINAL design complete and on my workshop PC. I have the UV board cut to size and have all the components there. I have bought enough components for maybe 5-25 devices (depending on component).

I have designed my device to work with standard RF603 leads (2.5mm stereo jack) and have located the relevant leads.

I have even MADE Sony leads so that it can control Sony cameras (plus Sony users can use standard RF603 transmitters too!)

I am having an MRI tomorrow on my achilles tendons so that is another day out and then working 8pm to 4am afterwards! I have Tuesday off next week then next weekend so hopefully I'll get the main board done built.

Like I said I already have the design done and the previous design was the same but I have moved a couple of components so just want to make sure there are no issues before I price up having 100 made.

I have about 10 different designs all sat on the shelf and working as the project moves on.

crikey
sounds like you have had a bit of a time of it
hope you get it all sorted out
hang in there!

crikey
sounds like you have had a bit of a time of it
hope you get it all sorted out
hang in there!

Thanks, that is why you have not got the beta test version on your table! I need to built some of the trigger interfaces.

I need to find a metal fabricator who can build me a template in exchange for a spangly device. If there is one watching then they can have a beta test version and I'll upgrade it later :)

Lastly I have found someone to do the decals and I have bought the web site, installed a forum on it (for customer feedback, examples, testers etc) - I obviously know that you know about that bit :)

I have also finalised the design for the standalone sound trigger.

For Julian and Nattalie I will build special versions that meet their needs :)

Hi Darren,

I'm seriously desperate to try this out! You've done an amazing job and if you think it's got commercial potential then I'd definitely check out kickstarter like someone else suggested.

I'm sure you're fed up of people asking this but do you have any idea when it might be available for us to actually buy off you?
Plenty of people on here wouldn't mind giving payment or a down-payment upfront then you can order your bulk parts if that helps?

I will know better during December. I'll have the absolute final design complete and the PCB in my hand. I can then see what quotes I get on building it etc. I was really hoping to have it done for the Christmas market but realistically it will be Spring.

Thanks, that is why you have not got the beta test version on your table! I need to built some of the trigger interfaces.
no rush really!
I need to find a metal fabricator who can build me a template in exchange for a spangly device. If there is one watching then they can have a beta test version and I'll upgrade it later :)
one of my neighbours has some toolmakers working for him
if you mail me what you want I can find out if he's interested/reasonably priced

no rush really!

one of my neighbours has some toolmakers working for him
if you mail me what you want I can find out if he's interested/reasonably priced

Thanks, just had a PM from a member who might well be able to sort it too. Will look at the options but basically what I want is a metal box that the plastic box JUST slides into. The metal box will have holes in it that correspond with the holes for the controls & ports plus a square hole for the I/O port and a slot for the on/off switch. I also need MUCH simpler ones for the sound and water drop triggers.

Sorry to hear about your recent predicaments :(

As you already know, I am very keen on this device big time (y); and I'm waiting anxiously to give it a try.

With regards to the forum / site you've set-up; for some reason, whenever I try to access it I get an Error 400 page popping up :shrug:. Any idea of what's causing this?

Having just recently discovered your site and this fascinating forum, I'd just like toregister my interest in the portable version, and wish you the best of luck!

I also built a trigger, using the Arduino USB board. (like http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Atmega328...ultDomain_3&hash=item256a6a2f31#ht_712wt_1101 ). I'm sure you've looked at these, but I would not discount them as the cost is very low, the inputs/outputs considerable and the benefit of being programmable (a skill I know you have) is also very good. The biggest challenge is, not just for you but anyone doing this, the input trigger hardware. I have a set of dip switches for the delay (in binary ms) and a simple press switch to start, set and reset the trigger. It's powered via a USB lead, either from a laptop or a "Powa pack" type USB battery for portability. I'll post up a couple of pictures if you're interested. The clever part is in the programming though, at least that's what I like to think!

I also built a trigger, using the Arduino USB board. I'm sure you've looked at these, but I would not discount them as the cost is very low, the inputs/outputs considerable and the benefit of being programmable (a skill I know you have) is also very good. The biggest challenge is, not just for you but anyone doing this, the input trigger hardware. I have a set of dip switches for the delay (in binary ms) and a simple press switch to start, set and reset the trigger. It's powered via a USB lead, either from a laptop or a "Powa pack" type USB battery for portability. I'll post up a couple of pictures if you're interested. The clever part is in the programming though, at least that's what I like to think!

My device has an arduino chip at the centre of it but I've designed and built the entire board around the chip. Most of the clever stuff is done in programming but as I've created a standard input method I can add the external trigger board later allowing me or others to add boards that have not even been thought about. I wrote a complete menu system that works with an LCD and this allows me to add and remove features at will.

The device is actually re-programmable by inserting a USB to 8 pin lead which I MIGHT sell separately or by adding a USB to 6 pin cable to the 6 pin header which is fitting to all the trigger boards :)

Due to illness, work and a number of other things the whole project has been a little delayed but the final board is complete and I just need to build it which is a days work then its about mass production.

I've not been particularly well and neither has Mrs C so it's taken a bit of a back seat. The final board design is sat here on my computer ready to print and build. I will get it sorted as soon as I can. Once that has happened it really is just a case of ordering 25/50/100 of them plus the cases and building them. I already have enough of most of the components to build 30-40 of them. The previous version works perfectly but the on/off button location is not ideal and I wanted to add an IR LED to control D40/D40x/D60/D3x00 etc etc. Also the development software has gone through a major upgrade and I had to modify the program to work with that allowing for future expansion.

Like I said it is already working now but it is a massive step going from one working version to a commercial product.

One member has a full working setup with all the different triggers and is doing some testing plus I have multiple ones here.

Maybe I should sell off a working prototype :D Seriously though I am really hoping that the commercial release version will be available for public release at the 2012 Talk Photography Convention where there should be a demonstration and hopefully several boxed up for people to purchase.

Whatever happens a full demo will be happening as I am able to do that now anyway.

Several of the triggers are completed to the same level and these are:

Water droplet trigger

This is a slim box with a 50mm hole running through it. There is a detector within the hole that is already aligned for immediate use. You simply plug the trigger into the control unit and move the trigger so that the water/milk/whatever is dripping through the centre of the hole and adjust the sensitivity.

Sound and vibration Trigger

This is complete and working and again just plugs into the control unit. There are two sensitivity control knobs with one being fine and the other being course. This is to make it just sensitive enough. The same trigger unit will work with either a standard microphone or a piezo disc allowing you to detect either sound or vibration with the same unit.

Laser trigger

This again plugs into the control unit and consists of a control box with a sensitivity control and two sockets. Into one socket plugs a laser and into the other socket plugs a receiver. The unit detects the laser beam being broken

There will also be a stand alone sound trigger which will not REQUIRE the control unit but will work on its own. This device will ALSO plug into the control unit though so gives an upgrade path.

There will also be an alarm system board which will allow you to plug in any combination of standard alarm system components such as pressure boards, IR detectors etc etc

I have printed the final design on to film, covered the copper board with it and it is currently sun bathing in my UV oven :D

Just flipping it over now for the other side then it needs 4 baths :D

Think I might have to leave drilling it till Thursday though but we'll see.

My etchant has expired :(

It should take 5-7 minutes to etch but after 20 minutes it still hadn't. Will have to wait till the end of the month now to reply the chemicals.

Rang MEGAUK and following their advice I've checked and it's the developer that's knackered but I have more of that so I've just changed it and I'll try again. Hopefully I'll get the board etched today.

I have in my hand the FULLY working final release version of the circuit board.

It is fully working but I have not been able to check the opto couples (nothing changed from previous version so should be fine) or the newly added IED which basically allows the device to control D40, D40x, D60 etc where they only have IR remote control inputs.

I have also taken delivery of a Canon 500D camera which will allow me to test the device with Canon and Nikon cameras.

excellent - well done that man!

As a pole, who would be willing to pay £129 to £149 for the portable control unit, one camera control lead and a choice of trigger from either the water drop trigger, laser beam break trigger or sound trigger?

Extra triggers and alternative camera control leads will also be available. I have camera control leads for:

10 pin Nikon,
2.5mm stereo jack Canon.
3 pin Canon.
Sony

Back