The universal trigger interface (The little box)

...just a thought - did you guys consider having a sensor on the Box to allow it to be remote flash triggered - or will we be able to buy an attachment that does this ?

Think is same for all m43 and 43 including GX1....

In that case I've designed the circuit board and will make it next week

Don't worry on my account, but there are a lot of panny users on here.

...so - hope the Conf. went well -anybody turn up with an A580 or SLT Sony to test ? - or has anyone with these models already bought one at the show and tried it out ?

Ta,

Jim

...so - hope the Conf. went well -anybody turn up with an A580 or SLT Sony to test ? - or has anyone with these models already bought one at the show and tried it out ?

Ta,

Jim

Not yet but if it uses the same Sony connection lead it should work the same.

Not yet but if it uses the same Sony connection lead it should work the same.

....thought I'd discussed why this wasn't necessarily true already Darren ?

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=4651642#post4651642

- otherwise some third party flashes wouldn't have issues with direct attachment to these cameras either then ? and I believe that some radio triggers may need a F/W upgrade as well - and FWIW I've already asked the developer of "that other" trigger the question and their unit doesn't support the newer Alphas yet... :crying:

Last edited:
....thought I'd discussed why this wasn't necessarily true already Darren ?

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=4651642#post4651642

- otherwise some third party flashes wouldn't have issues with direct attachment to these cameras either then ? and I believe that some radio triggers may need a F/W upgrade as well - and FWIW I've already asked the developer of "that other" trigger the question and their unit doesn't support the newer Alphas yet... :crying:

Do you have a wired remote trigger like this : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wired-Rem...mAccess_RL&hash=item4165b5e432#ht_2272wt_1269 ?

Yep - you name it Darren I've got it - as far as remote triggers goes - wired - IR - and Radio :bonk:

If your simple wired remote works then ours will too. Our controller controls the camera the same way. It is possible to control cameras via USB etc and in that mode they can do more BUT they are subject to problems with firmware versions etc etc. Because all the processing is carried out by our unit it only needs to tell the camera to fire and stop firing so it connects using the simple "dumb wired remote" method.

If your simple wired remote works then ours will too. Our controller controls the camera the same way. It is possible to control cameras via USB etc and in that mode they can do more BUT they are subject to problems with firmware versions etc etc. Because all the processing is carried out by our unit it only needs to tell the camera to fire and stop firing so it connects using the simple "dumb wired remote" method.

Sounds like it's back to me being confused again about how it works Dave

from this post here :-

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=4643565&postcount=28

I thought it was possible to plug the flash into the Controller itself and have it fire directly - though quite how a flash would be connected - cable wise - did confuse me a little....

Jim

Sounds like it's back to me being confused again about how it works Dave

from this post here :-

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=4643565&postcount=28

I thought it was possible to plug the flash into the Controller itself and have it fire directly - though quite how a flash would be connected - cable wise - did confuse me a little....

Jim

The controller has a camera socket AND a flash socket.

Your camera connects to the controller using the camera socket and a simple lead.

Your flash will connect to the camera as normal and fire with the camera

OR

it can ALMOST CERTAINLY connect to the flash port using an adapter such as this one...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Flashligh...h_Adapters&hash=item2c630f3cd6#ht_1481wt_1269

Now I know it does not mention YOUR camera but if this adapter works with your flash then you SHOULD be able to fire the flash using a standard 3.5mm mono to flash sync cable. These cables are readily available such as this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5m-PC-SYN...s_Adapters&hash=item3cc5330653#ht_3418wt_1035

Thanks Darren - I already have one of those hotshoe adapters - but not one of the PC Sync cables yet.

Unfortunately as I mentioned on the cables thread the DRF-14S flash connects directly to the Sony/Minolta Hotshoe fitment and isn't a standard ISO fitting so for this approach to work you'd need something that converts a Sony/Minolta for off-camera to PC Sync cable.... which TBH I haven't had a look for yet :)

Thanks Darren - I already have one of those hotshoe adapters - but not one of the PC Sync cables yet.

Unfortunately as I mentioned on the cables thread the DRF-14S flash connects directly to the Sony/Minolta Hotshoe fitment and isn't a standard ISO fitting so for this approach to work you'd need something that converts a Sony/Minolta for off-camera to PC Sync cable.... which TBH I haven't had a look for yet :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Flash-Hot...h_Adapters&hash=item3f09e9513c#ht_1388wt_1035

Thanks Darren :)

I'll have a think about this - how's the documentation coming along ?

The manual is written and in the box with the controller :)

There has been a software upgrade today from version 1.00 to 1.01 which has made some improvements and Mike has updated the manual accordingly.

I'm just writing an update to the web site's advert at the moment which will explain a few more of the features and specs.

The manual is written and in the box with the controller :)

There has been a software upgrade today from version 1.00 to 1.01 which has made some improvements and Mike has updated the manual accordingly.

I'm just writing an update to the web site's advert at the moment which will explain a few more of the features and specs.

Thanks - look forward to seeing the revised spec. - make sure to highlight the new bits ;)

Planning on putting the manual online soon ?

Thanks - look forward to seeing the revised spec. - make sure to highlight the new bits ;)

Planning on putting the manual online soon ?

We are sorting the web site out at the moment.....

Hopefully we will get the ordering, manual and revised adverts/specs all up tomorrow morning.

Cheers - I noticed earlier the piezo/vibration trigger was up :)

This should be vibration/piezo cable.... It can only be used with a sound trigger.

Funny as I thought of ANOTHER two triggers today..... You'll be please to know that they budget ones. :)

This should be vibration/piezo cable.... It can only be used with a sound trigger.

Funny as I thought of ANOTHER two triggers today..... You'll be please to know that they budget ones. :)

....yes it's listed as a cable - didn't realise it needed connected to the sound trigger though - don't think it's mentioned on the site so may be worth mentioning that on the site ?

...as for the new triggers - the more the merrier - just get them on the site before the discount goes away ;)

...any idea when we'll get some visibility of the spec. of the droplet/projectile sensor ? - interested to know what sort of speeds it can handle...

Jim

....yes it's listed as a cable - didn't realise it needed connected to the sound trigger though - don't think it's mentioned on the site so may be worth mentioning that on the site ?

...as for the new triggers - the more the merrier - just get them on the site before the discount goes away ;)

...any idea when we'll get some visibility of the spec. of the droplet/projectile sensor ? - interested to know what sort of speeds it can handle...

Jim

New advert for sound trigger, droplet trigger, starter kit, computer connection lead and vibration lead all written and emailed to Mike for his approval too. Once we agree on them it will take 10 minutes to upload them all.

The 3 new products I thought of today will all be "budget" triggers/accessories but as they are only concepts at the moment they will not be available before the end of the month.

"Bugger!" :LOL:

...just as well they are "Budget" options then :bat: ;)

...so come on then - what's the harm in discussing "concepts" 'Fess up - what you thinking of ? - and is there really a big market for a Fart Detector ? :naughty:

Jim

"Bugger!" :LOL:

...just as well they are "Budget" options then :bat: ;)

...so come on then - what's the harm in discussing "concepts" 'Fess up - what you thinking of ? - and is there really a big market for a Fart Detector ? :naughty:

Jim

We have a fart detector already....

Vibration lead inserted where the sun doesn't shine :eek:

We have a fart detector already....

Vibration lead inserted where the sun doesn't shine :eek:

...the lead comes with Lube then ? - not bad for £5 (y)

...next you'll be telling me the droplet/projectile trigger can be used as a curry detector ;)

Jim there is a real fear that you will give the Scottish a bad name :LOL: Just join the party and buy one! If Darren can't get it working (not at all likely) I'm sure he will give you a full refund.

Mike got some stunning photos yesterday of fruit dropping into cream in less than ideal conditions. I'm sure he will post some later.

Jim there is a real fear that you will give the Scottish a bad name :LOL: Just join the party and buy one! If Darren can't get it working (not at all likely) I'm sure he will give you a full refund.

Mike got some stunning photos yesterday of fruit dropping into cream in less than ideal conditions. I'm sure he will post some later.

Jist shut yer gob you afore ah stick the heid on ye ! :bat:

...but seriously I almost certainly will be buying a kit and some extras - would just like to see the manual and maybe some comparisons between this unit and the main competition and some idea of the timescales/costs of the solenoid valve trigger would be good too ;)

Last edited:
hope it's not breaking any forum rules :rules:
but I've posted the manuals here

I'm a bit leary about publishing comparisons, but a quick look at the manuals should tell you all you need to know

oh - and if there's any dangling questions - do ask - me (and my pretty young assistant) will be delighted to answer!

(that's Darren btw - be afraid!)

Jist shut yer gob you afore ah stick the heid on ye ! :bat:

...but seriously I almost certainly will be buying a kit and some extras - would just like to see the manual and maybe some comparisons between this unit and the main competition and some idea of the timescales/costs of the solenoid valve trigger would be good too ;)

I've designed the solenoid controller and it works now so it will be launched.

mmcp42 said:
I think it's fairly usual, hope not too onerous for you :)

As a potential customer it does seem a bit unusual to have to register to read the FAQ?
As an existing customer who had to register to purchase, it does seem a bit unusual to have to register again and then be approved by an admin?

As a potential customer it does seem a bit unusual to have to register to read the FAQ?
As an existing customer who had to register to purchase, it does seem a bit unusual to have to register again and then be approved by an admin?

hmm see what you mean
talk amongst yourselves - I'll speak to the "lad who understands these things"
mebbe we can have "guest access"

cheers
Mike

quick update:
following popular demand I have opened up the forum to Guests
without needing to register you can now see :
- Requests
- Hints & tips
- FAQs
- Your Images

this may change as we see how it gets (ab)used!

"fill yer boots" as da yoof speke!

PS not sure how to get registered site users to become registered forum users
that does need the lad with the oily rag!

Last edited:
A lightning trigger would be damn handy... I've been looking at getting one but I'm not keen on buying from across the pond with limited back up

hmm see what you mean
quick update:
following popular demand I have opened up the forum to Guests
without needing to register you can now see :
- Requests
- Hints & tips
- FAQs
- Your Images
Thanks
(y)

PS not sure how to get registered site users to become registered forum users
that does need the lad with the oily rag!

What woould be a nice touch is for you to auto register (and approve!) people using the detaila supplied when they purchase. Then you could email along the lines of "Here are your login details for our customer support section....".

Just as an FYI I've had three "purchase receipt" emails from "Wordpress". One Monday, one yesterday & one today (just after your "it's been shipped" email).

Cheers,
Brian.

Back